IRC log of i18n on 2016-09-29

Timestamps are in UTC.

14:41:19 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #i18n
14:41:19 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2016/09/29-i18n-irc
14:41:25 [Zakim]
Zakim has joined #i18n
14:41:35 [addison]
trackbot, prepare teleconference
14:41:37 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, make logs world
14:41:39 [trackbot]
Zakim, this will be 4186
14:41:39 [Zakim]
ok, trackbot
14:41:40 [trackbot]
Meeting: Internationalization Working Group Teleconference
14:41:40 [trackbot]
Date: 29 September 2016
14:42:03 [addison]
Regrets: JcK, Francesco
14:42:09 [addison]
Chair: Addison Phillips
14:42:14 [addison]
ScribeNick: addison
14:42:19 [addison]
Scribe: Addison Phillips
14:42:45 [addison]
Agenda: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2016Sep/0020.html
14:42:51 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2016/09/29-i18n-minutes.html addison
14:43:09 [addison]
agenda+ Agenda
14:43:14 [addison]
agenda+ Action Items
14:43:18 [addison]
agenda+ Info Share
14:43:26 [addison]
agenda+ Radar and Active Work Review
14:43:33 [addison]
agenda+ Issue Triage
14:43:46 [addison]
agenda+ What happened at TPAC?
14:44:05 [addison]
agenda+ FindText API and Web Platform Charter
14:44:11 [addison]
agenda+ Charmod, Encoding, etc.
14:51:20 [addison]
Present+ Addison
14:55:03 [jasnell]
jasnell has joined #i18n
14:55:21 [Steve_Atkin]
Steve_Atkin has joined #i18n
14:57:13 [jasnell]
jasnell has joined #i18n
14:57:57 [najib]
najib has joined #i18n
15:03:36 [addison]
present+ Steve
15:03:39 [addison]
present+ Richard
15:03:42 [addison]
present+ Lina
15:04:01 [addison]
present+ Felix
15:04:10 [fsasaki]
fsasaki has joined #i18n
15:04:15 [r12a]
Lina, did you click on the button to join the call that says something like "Connect to Audio" ?
15:04:29 [r12a]
on the left of the window
15:04:41 [fsasaki]
present+ felix
15:04:59 [addison]
agenda?
15:05:23 [addison]
zakim, take up agendum 1
15:05:23 [Zakim]
agendum 1. "Agenda" taken up [from addison]
15:05:31 [r12a]
Lina, we now see two of you on the webex UI, but you don't seem to be on the call
15:06:22 [Lina]
I just joined
15:06:58 [addison]
zakim, take up agendum 2
15:06:58 [Zakim]
agendum 2. "Action Items" taken up [from addison]
15:07:29 [addison]
https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open
15:08:12 [addison]
action-536?
15:08:12 [trackbot]
action-536 -- Richard Ishida to Publish predefined-counter-styles as a wg note -- due 2016-06-30 -- OPEN
15:08:12 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/536
15:08:21 [addison]
richard: getting some comments and need to address them first
15:08:49 [addison]
action-538?
15:08:49 [trackbot]
action-538 -- Addison Phillips to Work with richard and plh to establish procedure for bringing changes to encoding forward -- due 2016-06-30 -- OPEN
15:08:49 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/538
15:08:51 [addison]
done
15:08:55 [addison]
close action-538
15:08:55 [trackbot]
Closed action-538.
15:09:35 [addison]
action: richard to establish a process for auto-publishing updates to encoding on a regular basis
15:09:41 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-560 - Establish a process for auto-publishing updates to encoding on a regular basis [on Richard Ishida - due 2016-10-06].
15:10:02 [addison]
action-542?
15:10:02 [trackbot]
action-542 -- Richard Ishida to Ask after dpub-pagination status and if they want/ready for a review -- due 2016-07-28 -- OPEN
15:10:02 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/542
15:10:14 [addison]
close action-542
15:10:14 [trackbot]
Closed action-542.
15:10:27 [addison]
richard: aware that's a question and may get around to it eventually; not ready now
15:10:44 [addison]
close action-549
15:10:44 [trackbot]
Closed action-549.
15:11:47 [addison]
actin-551?
15:11:52 [addison]
action-551?
15:11:52 [trackbot]
action-551 -- Addison Phillips to Drop current charmod section 4 into the wiki for posterity or future use and then edit to remove -- due 2016-09-15 -- OPEN
15:11:52 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/551
15:12:14 [addison]
addison: created string-search for that
15:12:17 [addison]
close action-551
15:12:17 [trackbot]
Closed action-551.
15:12:49 [addison]
action-552?
15:12:49 [trackbot]
action-552 -- Addison Phillips to Write to json-ld about potential for a serialization form for natural language strings to address issues with dir and lang -- due 2016-09-29 -- OPEN
15:12:49 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/552
15:13:01 [addison]
addison: read json-ld, will have a draft next week
15:13:35 [addison]
action-554?
15:13:35 [trackbot]
action-554 -- Addison Phillips to Work to schedule a review of microformats -- due 2016-09-29 -- OPEN
15:13:35 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/554
15:15:00 [addison]
action-556?
15:15:00 [trackbot]
action-556 -- Elika Etemad to Convert her text justification to respec -- due 2016-09-30 -- OPEN
15:15:00 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/556
15:15:04 [addison]
richard: did that for her
15:15:08 [addison]
close action-556
15:15:08 [trackbot]
Closed action-556.
15:15:26 [addison]
close action-557
15:15:26 [trackbot]
Closed action-557.
15:15:42 [addison]
action-558?
15:15:42 [trackbot]
action-558 -- Richard Ishida to Do due diligence on converting layout tfs to cgs -- due 2016-09-30 -- OPEN
15:15:42 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/558
15:15:53 [addison]
richard: did some of that, need to chat with Wendy
15:16:00 [addison]
... will talk about late
15:16:05 [addison]
s/late/later/
15:16:11 [addison]
... on it
15:16:26 [addison]
close action-559
15:16:26 [trackbot]
Closed action-559.
15:16:35 [addison]
agenda?
15:16:46 [addison]
zakim, take up agendum 3
15:16:46 [Zakim]
agendum 3. "Info Share" taken up [from addison]
15:17:10 [addison]
welcoming new members
15:17:21 [addison]
Lina: excited to be here
15:17:33 [addison]
... based in Israel, work in IBM on bidi stuff
15:17:46 [addison]
... contribute to ICU
15:18:54 [addison]
JohnOC: work at Intuit
15:19:06 [addison]
... some experience with primarily the Java platform
15:19:18 [addison]
... since then have worked in I18N
15:19:24 [addison]
... creating a localization platfrom
15:19:35 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2016/09/29-i18n-minutes.html addison
15:20:13 [addison]
agenda?
15:20:20 [addison]
zakim, take up agendum 4
15:20:20 [Zakim]
agendum 4. "Radar and Active Work Review" taken up [from addison]
15:20:31 [addison]
file:///c:/users/addison/documents/github/radar/i18n-activity/radar/index.html
15:20:50 [addison]
http://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/radar/
15:22:34 [addison]
richard: one more just came through from amy
15:22:43 [addison]
... activitypub just moved to w3c domain
15:23:03 [joconner]
joconner has joined #i18n
15:23:32 [addison]
richard: first self-review!
15:25:20 [addison]
richard: ttml, should have a list of new stuff
15:25:24 [addison]
... watch ruby stuff
15:25:33 [addison]
... including non-css/non-jlreq items
15:25:43 [addison]
steve: justification?
15:25:50 [addison]
richard: captioning on tvs and film
15:25:59 [joconner]
present+ joconner
15:26:45 [addison]
steve: need to keep css and ttml in sync?
15:26:48 [addison]
addison: yeah
15:26:54 [addison]
richard: svg2 needs love
15:27:19 [addison]
http://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/projects/
15:28:34 [addison]
addison: some traffic on mongolian and nnbsp; want to do something diff
15:28:51 [addison]
richard: participating in wg2
15:29:01 [addison]
... he and the other mongolian experts
15:29:32 [addison]
richard: edx: now a css course released, need to look at it
15:29:35 [addison]
... check for i18n issues
15:29:50 [addison]
unicode conference coming soon!
15:29:58 [addison]
richard: who's going?
15:30:05 [addison]
addison, richard...
15:31:15 [addison]
zakim, take up agendum 5
15:31:15 [Zakim]
agendum 5. "Issue Triage" taken up [from addison]
15:31:23 [addison]
http://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/reviews/
15:31:39 [addison]
https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/225
15:32:11 [fsasaki]
sorry, have to go - cheers
15:33:04 [addison]
https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/226
15:36:19 [addison]
steve: first clarify and then guide?
15:36:27 [addison]
addison: basically yes, can't tell if iri or uri or what
15:36:39 [addison]
https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/227
15:38:47 [addison]
lina: nice to have the direction, as2 has the same problem
15:40:05 [addison]
https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/208
15:41:14 [addison]
https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/207
15:42:05 [addison]
both accepted
15:42:24 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2016/09/29-i18n-minutes.html addison
15:42:54 [addison]
richard: typo in the github in this spec?
15:43:12 [addison]
agenda?
15:43:26 [addison]
richard: new version of webauthn yesterday
15:44:01 [addison]
zakim, take up agendum 7
15:44:01 [Zakim]
agendum 7. "FindText API and Web Platform Charter" taken up [from addison]
15:45:23 [addison]
addison: do we care that this is falling on the floor?
15:47:44 [addison]
zakim, take up agendum 6
15:47:44 [Zakim]
agendum 6. "What happened at TPAC?" taken up [from addison]
15:48:08 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2016/09/29-i18n-minutes.html addison
15:48:32 [r12a]
https://www.w3.org/2016/09/22-i18n-minutes.html
15:48:38 [r12a]
https://www.w3.org/2016/09/23-i18n-minutes.html
15:48:44 [addison]
richard: will have minutes soon, here's the minutes
15:49:21 [addison]
richard: outcome of encoding with anne
15:49:49 [addison]
... problem has been that we don't update our snapshot regularly
15:49:52 [addison]
... not close to his version
15:49:59 [addison]
... so we decided to publish quite regularly
15:50:08 [addison]
... if only editorial changes can publsih straightaway
15:50:28 [addison]
... if substantive then 'call for exclusion' takes two months
15:50:49 [addison]
... can do immediately but then have to wait 2 months until next one
15:51:23 [addison]
addison: also got permission to point to whatwg's copy of tables
15:51:53 [addison]
richard: easier to keep up to date, not a substantive change any more
15:52:01 [addison]
... following up with implementers
15:52:06 [addison]
... dean jackson from safari
15:52:12 [addison]
... spoke to travis from msft
15:52:20 [addison]
... moz has henri sivonen
15:52:32 [addison]
... should solve all the problems (hopefully)
15:52:43 [addison]
... jungshik working bugs on chrome
15:52:50 [addison]
... movement of impls!
15:53:30 [addison]
richard: wednesday had meetings about horizontal reviews
15:53:33 [addison]
... reorg underway
15:53:45 [addison]
... ralph swick has responsibility to see that horizontal reviews get done
15:54:11 [addison]
addison: a11y, tag
15:54:28 [najib]
q+
15:54:34 [addison]
ack na
15:54:44 [addison]
najib: did you talk about arabic layout?
15:54:52 [addison]
richard: no, other than in passing
15:55:06 [addison]
... reported making progress, started on justification
15:55:10 [addison]
... not much more detail
15:55:19 [addison]
... did have a session on chinese layout TF
15:55:22 [addison]
... in minutes
15:55:35 [addison]
... also a discussion about whether to move TFs to Community Groups (CGs)
15:55:49 [addison]
... sounded good, but details may or may not be as compatible as we thought
15:55:54 [addison]
... still investigating
15:56:02 [addison]
... CGs make make easy to join
15:56:07 [addison]
... but it's not that simple
15:56:16 [addison]
... and some organizational principles
15:56:20 [addison]
... own agreements
15:56:27 [addison]
... not same as Invited Expert
15:56:35 [addison]
... doc in CG and handed over when final
15:56:42 [addison]
... not how we've done things
15:56:53 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2016/09/29-i18n-minutes.html addison
15:57:19 [addison]
richard: WG continues working, RI allowed to work... but more anon as we study it
15:57:46 [addison]
Lina: hebrew TF?
15:57:52 [addison]
... proposed a couple months ago
15:57:56 [addison]
... prepared charter draft
15:58:01 [addison]
... what is next step?
15:58:16 [addison]
... share with richard, addison and martin?
15:58:22 [addison]
richard: yes. thanks for brining up
15:58:30 [addison]
... send charter and can do next steps
15:58:35 [addison]
s/brining/bringing/
15:58:40 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2016/09/29-i18n-minutes.html addison
15:59:02 [addison]
najib: some shared maybe?
15:59:10 [addison]
richard: discussion with fantasai
15:59:16 [addison]
... who is a member, but mostly does CSS
15:59:20 [addison]
... does the i18n for css
15:59:28 [addison]
... she put a document about justificiation together
15:59:34 [addison]
... links to other docs
15:59:37 [addison]
... subset of ours
15:59:44 [r12a]
http://w3c.github.io/typography/
15:59:47 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2016/09/29-i18n-minutes.html addison
15:59:56 [addison]
richard: that link will be useful to Lina
16:00:05 [addison]
... known info about layout for non-Latin scripts
16:00:13 [addison]
... fantasai was worried just on github
16:00:28 [addison]
... summary is that created a doc already but need to post
16:00:36 [addison]
... which will be at above address
16:00:48 [addison]
...to have TR equiv (so w3c)
16:00:56 [addison]
... contain elika's stuff in slightly diff form
16:01:05 [addison]
... she may provide other brief summaries
16:01:08 [addison]
... working on it!
16:01:12 [addison]
agenda?
16:01:36 [addison]
richard: will try to keep page as it looks now for folks setting up LTFs
16:01:38 [addison]
... and others
16:01:49 [addison]
... helps structure document for layout docs for example
16:01:58 [addison]
... don't want links to two places
16:02:07 [najib]
present+
16:02:36 [addison]
pull stuff from social into our minutes
16:03:11 [addison]
richard: tried to review items marked "closed?"
16:03:20 [addison]
addison: volunteers needed
16:03:52 [addison]
richard: read minutes for the other things we pulled out
16:04:08 [addison]
zakim, take up agendum 8
16:04:08 [Zakim]
agendum 8. "Charmod, Encoding, etc." taken up [from addison]
16:04:34 [r12a]
http://w3c.github.io/charmod-norm/
16:05:04 [r12a]
https://w3c.github.io/string-search/
16:05:25 [addison]
addison: welcome comments on charmod-norm
16:05:45 [r12a]
https://github.com/w3c/charmod-norm/issues
16:06:14 [addison]
Topic: AOB?
16:06:56 [addison]
richard: need to do the echidna thing and fix the thing about TR in green box
16:07:00 [addison]
addison: yep
16:07:12 [addison]
richard: ethiopic recently published, please look
16:07:34 [r12a]
http://w3c.github.io/elreq/
16:07:37 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2016/09/29-i18n-minutes.html addison
16:07:44 [r12a]
http://w3c.github.io/elreq/
16:07:57 [addison]
richard: issue list is a bit strange here
16:08:07 [addison]
... there are like 80 issues used for a survey
16:08:14 [addison]
... filter those out
16:09:09 [najib]
present+ najib
16:09:18 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2016/09/29-i18n-minutes.html addison
16:09:31 [r12a]
http://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/reviews/
16:09:52 [r12a]
http://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/repostatus/
16:11:31 [joconner]
joconner has left #i18n
16:11:34 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2016/09/29-i18n-minutes.html addison
16:11:39 [addison]
zakim, bye
16:11:39 [Zakim]
leaving. As of this point the attendees have been Addison, Steve, Richard, Lina, Felix, joconner, najib
16:11:39 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #i18n
16:13:33 [addison]
rrsagent, bye
16:13:33 [RRSAgent]
I see 1 open action item saved in http://www.w3.org/2016/09/29-i18n-actions.rdf :
16:13:33 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: richard to establish a process for auto-publishing updates to encoding on a regular basis [1]
16:13:33 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2016/09/29-i18n-irc#T15-09-35