IRC log of i18n on 2016-09-22

Timestamps are in UTC.

08:00:12 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #i18n
08:00:12 [RRSAgent]
logging to
08:00:31 [addison]
Meeting: TPAC 2016: Internationalization WG
08:00:35 [myles]
encoding spec w3c?
08:00:38 [addison]
Chair: Addison Phillips
08:00:42 [addison]
Scribe: Addison Phillips
08:00:48 [addison]
ScribeNick: addison
08:00:49 [myles] ?
08:01:06 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate addison
08:01:25 [r12a]
08:02:12 [addison]
08:02:16 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate addison
08:02:41 [addison]
present+ Addison, Richard, Felix, Frencesco
08:02:51 [addison]
present+ Chunming
08:03:01 [addison]
present+ Myles
08:03:35 [chunming]
chunming has joined #i18n
08:03:56 [fsasaki]
fsasaki has joined #i18n
08:04:59 [addison]
felix: discussions with
08:05:46 [tantek]
tantek has joined #i18n
08:07:12 [addison]
Topic: Upcoming Agenda
08:09:04 [Zakim]
Zakim has joined #i18n
08:09:21 [addison]
08:09:24 [addison]
08:10:00 [addison]
Present+ Richard, Felix, Chunming, Francesco, Myles, Addison
08:11:57 [addison]
present+ Angel
08:13:42 [Francesco]
Francesco has joined #i18n
08:14:12 [r12a]
08:14:32 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate addison
08:17:57 [angel]
angel has joined #i18n
08:18:12 [fsasaki]
present+ felix
08:18:35 [fsasaki]
scribe: fsasaki
08:19:41 [fsasaki]
Myles: here to observe what is going on
08:21:05 [fsasaki]
present+ bobby
08:21:40 [bobbytung]
bobbytung has joined #i18n
08:24:29 [addison]
Topic: Chinese Layout Task Force
08:25:07 [r12a]
08:25:22 [r12a]
rhiaro, see link above
08:25:45 [bobbytung]
bobbytung has joined #i18n
08:25:47 [r12a]
08:26:40 [r12a]
08:27:35 [fsasaki]
richard introduces layout requirements documents
08:28:26 [addison]
Chinese, Mongolian, Tibetan, Uighur
08:28:45 [fsasaki]
richard: goal to review state of various languages and potential next steps
08:29:08 [fsasaki]
... we have not moved forward since last TPAC
08:29:40 [fsasaki]
... we published FPWD for chinese document. We were close to publish simplified chinese doc, but never got it reviewed for accuracy
08:30:09 [fsasaki]
... nothing has happened for a year. what do you think, what will / should happen next?
08:30:48 [fsasaki]
bobby: on github we have issues, not so important. Apologies for the delay of the year, this time I will get the issues cleared.
08:31:13 [fsasaki]
... we want extension to clreq, some editors may have opinions but not expressed on github
08:31:35 [fsasaki]
... some parts are not done, we want to extend the sections in november
08:32:10 [fsasaki]
... we should have a gap document for clreq
08:32:45 [fsasaki]
richard: does it make sense to work on gap document at the same time or should we finish clreq first?
08:33:20 [fsasaki]
addison: with jlreq document experience, I think having a gap document helps
08:34:06 [fsasaki]
... helpful to produce a complete as possible set of clreq requirements, we can use that to produce gap document(s)
08:34:29 [fsasaki]
richard: bobby has some specific issues they like to have addressed soon
08:34:53 [fsasaki]
addison: clreq describes things that you like to get done?
08:34:55 [fsasaki]
bobby: yes
08:35:04 [fsasaki]
addison: don't think we need a formal doc to do that
08:35:41 [fsasaki]
discussion on how to have the list of gap filling in clreq
08:36:32 [fsasaki]
richard: a gap document would be helpful, just wondering if it would take a lot longer
08:36:51 [fsasaki]
addison: do you have one example?
08:36:55 [fsasaki]
richard: font fallback
08:37:17 [fsasaki]
addison: if we could produce a list of specific requests we could produce issues
08:37:39 [fsasaki]
richard: the gap document would say: this is what currently happens. could be in the issue but can be a lot of text
08:38:00 [fsasaki]
... e.g. "safari does this ..."
08:38:22 [fsasaki]
addison: can be a living doc as the discussion goes on
08:38:48 [fsasaki]
... worried that if we build one gap doc it will take time. we are not progressing clreq
08:39:12 [fsasaki]
... on font fallback: that discussion will be fairly mature in the beginning
08:40:16 [fsasaki]
... other items will need more documentation work
08:40:53 [fsasaki]
myles: CSS group is very interested in supporting chinese text
08:41:22 [fsasaki]
... if we in CSS get things wrong, some items may be more important than others
08:41:40 [fsasaki]
... would be good to know what to focus on
08:42:18 [fsasaki]
richard: for that it would be good to structure the items
08:42:27 [fsasaki]
myles: a mail would be good for me to start with
08:42:43 [fsasaki]
bobby: I should list the issues I wrote last year / this year
08:43:10 [fsasaki]
... e.g. text area topic - kojii is working on that already
08:43:27 [bobbytung]
bobbytung has joined #i18n
08:43:51 [fsasaki]
discussion on how to structure the discussion
08:45:06 [fsasaki]
myles: happy to help, to put together what CSS needs = turning i18n group outcomes into input to CSS WG
08:45:33 [fsasaki]
Chunming: we have layout document for many languages
08:45:36 [angel]
rrsagent, draft minutes
08:45:36 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate angel
08:46:22 [fsasaki]
... programmers who want to follow clreq need examples. general content creator wants to know how to write the CSS style rules
08:46:36 [fsasaki]
... this is different than gap analysis
08:47:05 [fsasaki]
... another layer of work - collection of best practices that could be met by current web tech
08:47:22 [fsasaki]
... not sure if this has been done by other layout docs, e.g. latin
08:47:39 [fsasaki]
addison: jlreq wrote a nearly perfect model on how japanese print publication works
08:47:55 [fsasaki]
... you then could write an authoring guide for CSS
08:48:13 [fsasaki]
... in some cases there are gaps
08:48:36 [fsasaki]
... if we do the same with clreq, it would say: here is a description how the layout works
08:48:54 [fsasaki]
... then e.g. you say: justification works like this: ...
08:49:24 [fsasaki]
... in other areas, e.g. ruby, we had a long discussion on how to do this and then how to close gaps
08:49:32 [r12a]
08:50:08 [fsasaki]
.... that is normal process: people say "I can't do ...". Then we say "describe what you want to do". Then we may have more keywords in CSS or s.t. else
08:50:54 [fsasaki]
myles: a web author wants to know: "what do I need to do to make ruby happen?"
08:51:17 [fsasaki]
... in some cases there is a simple answer, in others it is more complex, e.g. a list of properties
08:51:38 [fsasaki]
... I have not seen such docs by W3C, but in other places (blog posts ...) by industry
08:52:04 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate addison
08:52:25 [fsasaki]
richard: for ruby, we created a WG note that showed all that stuff, on an adhoc basis
08:52:40 [fsasaki]
... we just need to keep track of things
08:53:05 [fsasaki]
addison: not loose track of being able to finish work
08:54:33 [fsasaki]
chunming: for clreq we will continue maintenance
08:54:45 [fsasaki]
... not sure if we want to publish a snapshot of clreq every year?
08:55:13 [fsasaki]
richard: we did not publish since simplified chinese had not been reviewed
08:55:57 [fsasaki]
... I propose a different way: we have echidna , so as soon as there is a github commit the TR version is updated automatically
08:56:07 [fsasaki]
... I recently ported jlreq into respec
08:56:42 [fsasaki]
... for jlreq I decided to have two documents, you can still have parallel comparison
08:57:03 [fsasaki]
... they don't we split clreq into three docs: traditional chinese, simplified, english
08:57:15 [fsasaki]
08:57:49 [fsasaki]
... at the moment we cannot publish anything because different progress
08:58:10 [fsasaki]
angel: how do you synchronize?
08:58:14 [fsasaki]
richard: manually
09:00:30 [addison]
addison has joined #i18n
09:00:30 [myles]
myles has joined #i18n
09:00:39 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate addison
09:00:42 [fsasaki_]
fsasaki_ has joined #i18n
09:01:01 [fsasaki_]
chunming: all issues may be discussed in chinese
09:01:31 [fsasaki_]
... I'd suggest to have both in same doc, since english doc will be a bit later.
09:02:35 [fsasaki_]
angel: simplified chinese editor is not so familiar with github, so my team did significant efforts to back her up
09:03:06 [fsasaki_]
addison: can we mark what is out of sync?
09:03:13 [fsasaki_]
richard: with CSS classes
09:04:07 [fsasaki_]
addison: with echidna we can have publish a draft as push
09:04:29 [fsasaki_]
richard: with separate documents you have to do more review
09:05:07 [fsasaki_]
... we should agree that we publish one doc with three languages and make clear that they don't always say the same thing
09:05:11 [fsasaki_]
... or that we publish three docs
09:05:37 [fsasaki]
chunming: currently we only have 30+ issue open, not big issues
09:06:06 [fsasaki]
... we just need to go through open issues and see what we fix before we publish
09:07:04 [fsasaki]
chunming: I see two ways to publish: 1) english doc, then two separate chinese docs 2) have one page with three languages referenced
09:07:08 [Francesco]
Francesco has joined #i18n
09:07:22 [fsasaki]
.. for our audience it is preferred to have one doc
09:07:42 [fsasaki]
... for publishing process, currently we need to have editors keep consistency manually
09:07:58 [fsasaki]
... editors need to have some effort to assure consistency
09:08:03 [fsasaki]
... I would prefer to publish one doc
09:08:04 [fsasaki]
09:08:22 [fsasaki]
chunming: one doc would be more useful to the audience to follow discussion
09:08:32 [fsasaki]
myles: who is audience?
09:08:47 [fsasaki]
chunming: digital publishing / web site content providers in china
09:08:59 [najib]
najib has joined #i18n
09:08:59 [fsasaki]
... ebook providers on mobile phones
09:09:11 [fsasaki]
... browser providers, like myles
09:09:24 [fsasaki]
richard: CSS and similar WGs
09:10:36 [fsasaki]
chunming: would be good to have a best practices doc on how to follow requirement. propose to keep this in one doc so that this audience has a clear understanding of requirements
09:11:04 [fsasaki]
richard: we have gone over a year without update, you seem to agree to publish rather soon?
09:11:13 [fsasaki]
chunming: yes
09:11:49 [chunming]
chunming has joined #i18n
09:12:06 [fsasaki]
angel: I see concerns from chunming. if we spit into three, we may have problems with patent policy
09:12:18 [chunming]
rrsagent, draft minutes
09:12:18 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate chunming
09:12:19 [fsasaki]
... see jlreq: japanese standards go first
09:12:55 [fsasaki]
.... if people look for original language doc and try to make a national standard, they have an issue
09:13:07 [fsasaki]
... we try to avoid the possible harmonization problem for the future
09:13:38 [fsasaki]
richard: the patent policy does not apply, since the docs are not on the rec track
09:13:53 [fsasaki]
angel: yes, but there are restrictions
09:14:21 [najib]
present+ Najib
09:14:28 [fsasaki]
... only english is authoritive, the other versions should go through translation process which is very complex
09:14:43 [fsasaki]
angel: in jlreq case, there was national standard
09:14:49 [fsasaki]
JIS 4051
09:15:12 [fsasaki]
angel: our people may be hesitant if English doc is authoritive
09:16:46 [fsasaki]
addison: we want to document as good as possible how chinese works so that the technology works
09:17:07 [fsasaki]
... point of this is to be descriptive, not normative, so that we can build other standards out of that
09:17:19 [fsasaki]
richard: we have resolved to keep the three languages together
09:17:21 [fsasaki]
angel: yes
09:17:23 [fsasaki]
09:18:11 [fsasaki]
richard: will set up clreq to publish with echidna in TR space
09:18:23 [fsasaki]
... will take an action to prepare that
09:18:27 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate addison
09:19:22 [fsasaki]
richard: tibetan has been ready for publishing for a year, want to discuss that
09:19:52 [angel]
s/japanese standards/japanese national standards
09:19:55 [fsasaki]
chunming: we set up the task force and talked about how we organise this. china government does not want to split this language, china is multi ethnic nation
09:20:36 [fsasaki]
chunming: if we want to do this in china, and get more input from experts, then we keep document creation in the layout task force
09:20:51 [fsasaki]
... we exchanged the idea with government agency, so I don't want this to be changed
09:21:00 [angel]
s/our people/Chinese Chinese layout people who finally realize the value of such a document and decide to make a version of their naitonal standard out of it
09:21:19 [fsasaki]
... another example: korea is used in china in some provinces
09:21:30 [fsasaki]
... that is ok, there is klreq already
09:22:03 [fsasaki]
... for mongolian, AFAIK, chinese scholars have good links
09:22:16 [fsasaki]
richard: there is no mongolian task force, just a mailing list
09:22:32 [fsasaki]
... there is two problems: first, tibetan is not just a chinese language
09:22:50 [fsasaki]
... if I talk to people outside china, people have resistance to participate
09:23:16 [fsasaki]
... as W3C we have to take a global point of view. Tibetan is spoken in china but also in other countries
09:23:25 [fsasaki]
... the other issue is: nothing is happening
09:23:45 [fsasaki]
... we cannot move requirements forward without regular meetings
09:24:09 [fsasaki]
... we did have the meetings for jlreq and now for alreq
09:24:21 [fsasaki]
... so asking: would it make sense to have a task force for tibetan?
09:24:55 [fsasaki]
angel: we want to avoid unnecessary tension
09:25:45 [fsasaki]
... would be good to have a neutral home
09:26:14 [fsasaki]
addison: other task forces are organized on a per language basis.
09:26:40 [fsasaki]
... task force is not a language of a particular place
09:27:10 [fsasaki]
... a task force does not say: the language goes with a certain state
09:28:44 [fsasaki]
chunming: we want to collect information of layout from different languages and want to publish that as different documents
09:28:53 [fsasaki]
... the only concern is about organising the work
09:29:03 [fsasaki]
... you are right, tlreq is not pushing fast
09:30:22 [fsasaki]
... before last tpac, our contact was one professor in mongolian univ.
09:30:29 [fsasaki]
... now seems not be very active
09:30:45 [fsasaki]
... but some engineers from our members show interest in mongolian
09:30:59 [fsasaki]
... currently we don't have first draft, just email discussion
09:31:11 [fsasaki]
richard: email discussion is mostly on unicode topics
09:32:59 [fsasaki]
angel: clreq is all fine, chinese can mean mandarin. for us chinese means all the languages spoken in china. we can change the chinese title into saying: mandarin requirements.
09:33:21 [fsasaki]
... then these people don't have to join the chinese task force
09:33:53 [fsasaki]
09:34:09 [fsasaki]
s/requirements/requirements (in chinese title)/
09:34:50 [fsasaki]
angel: get another task force to join and change the name of this task force
09:35:45 [angel]
09:35:57 [fsasaki]
bobby: could it be possible to share some infos between docs?
09:36:04 [fsasaki]
addison: I thought we produce separate docs?
09:36:51 [fsasaki]
agreement from the room
09:37:34 [fsasaki]
angel: goal to close all issues by the end of this year
09:37:36 [fsasaki]
bobby: agree
09:38:15 [fsasaki]
chunming: can we push for official clreq by end of this year?
09:38:23 [fsasaki]
richard: if you tell us that the doc is complete, sure
09:38:30 [fsasaki]
angel: should this be a living doc?
09:38:55 [fsasaki]
addison: we can publish drafts again and again, and then a note
09:39:14 [fsasaki]
... a new note then would be version two, etc.
09:40:40 [fsasaki]
discussion on tibetan
09:40:59 [fsasaki]
addison: in jlreq, mixed layouts was important topic
09:42:22 [fsasaki]
chunming: status report of tibetan
09:42:31 [fsasaki]
... offline mail discussion, does not reflect back to github
09:42:44 [fsasaki]
... we found people working in publishing house for tibetan content
09:42:55 [fsasaki]
... we got support of national standards WG in china
09:42:58 [r12a]
09:43:08 [fsasaki]
... also from @@@ university
09:43:15 [angel]
09:43:24 [fsasaki]
... those people are happy to make review of document
09:44:03 [fsasaki]
... also found a publishing house in china and china mobile, experts that are happy to contribute
09:44:43 [fsasaki]
... that is human resource status. Bottleneck is me - we need to set up those people, organize f2f meetings
09:44:56 [fsasaki]
... so that we can build trust and relationships with them
09:45:22 [fsasaki]
... according to our previous schedule I am happy to held f2f after this TPAC
09:45:54 [fsasaki]
... my target is to have first version reflect back to w3c github, open to public document
09:46:18 [fsasaki]
richard: after last TPAC we agreed that I update doc, you were to translate it and publish as FWPD
09:46:30 [fsasaki]
... that doc is ready in english, then needs translation
09:46:41 [fsasaki]
... they may change it completely, but good to have s.t. to look at
09:46:55 [fsasaki]
chunming: one of my students is working on translation
09:47:02 [fsasaki]
... need to update it back to html
09:47:07 [fsasaki]
richard: can I help?
09:47:17 [fsasaki]
chunming: I can do it asap
09:47:51 [fsasaki]
angel: similar issue like with simplified chinese - editor works in work
09:48:22 [angel]
s/works in work/ not familar with github
09:48:22 [fsasaki]
addison: concerns about separate work modes.
09:48:55 [fsasaki]
chunming: HTML is not a problem. we want to identify right person to take the editor role.
09:49:07 [fsasaki]
... they should be familiar with github, html etc.
09:49:47 [fsasaki]
... for tlreq, there is english and chinese, need to update to make it english - chinese version on github
09:50:09 [fsasaki]
... chunming we have f2f meeting with editors / reviewers, so that they can have f2f discussion on each item
09:50:19 [fsasaki]
... after that we can reach to first public WD
09:50:51 [fsasaki]
richard: I just want to make publication asap. Is discussion necessary before publication?
09:51:22 [fsasaki]
chunming: want to build trust and a relationship with editors, will set up offline f2f, what the next steps are
09:51:34 [fsasaki]
... want to have whole day f2f meeting to invite some reviewers
09:51:58 [fsasaki]
... to give a full review of current version, to make sure a more reliable version is released
09:52:36 [fsasaki]
richard: better to have something than nothing. So I want to set a date on the discussions and FPWD
09:52:46 [fsasaki]
chunming: we can have FPWD by end of this year
09:53:14 [fsasaki]
... before that, we will have small group meetings
09:54:15 [fsasaki]
agreement on how to proceed
09:54:31 [fsasaki]
mongolian as a topic to be discussed later
09:55:35 [fsasaki]
chunming: we have national standard for mongolian, not fully reflected to our requirements
09:55:58 [fsasaki]
richard: if you need help to create first draft I can help
09:56:20 [fsasaki]
chunming: this doc will share same outline as clreq or klreq. structure is quite clear
09:57:17 [fsasaki]
angel: will see if there is formal version of national standard is available.
09:58:42 [fsasaki]
richard: there will be discussion on moving task forces to community group - whether it is feasible etc.
09:58:49 [fsasaki]
angel: happy to join discussion
10:04:50 [bobbytung]
bobbytung has joined #i18n
10:11:10 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate addison
10:13:00 [myles]
myles has joined #i18n
10:13:43 [addison]
present+ Rebecca
10:13:59 [addison]
Topic: Break
10:14:10 [addison]
Topic: Issue Triage
10:14:21 [fsasaki_]
fsasaki_ has joined #i18n
10:14:23 [addison]
exuent: chunming, bobbytun, angel
10:14:33 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate addison
10:14:38 [addison]
scribe: addison
10:15:00 [addison]
rebeca: (self introduction)
10:15:10 [addison]
... improve latin layout requirements
10:15:24 [addison]
andreas: andreas tai from munich
10:15:33 [addison]
... work mostly with captions and subtitles
10:15:46 [addison]
present+ Andreas
10:16:28 [addison]
andreas: timed text has ways to markup bidi, kind of mystical
10:16:33 [addison]
... interested in what this wg does
10:19:05 [addison]
Topic: JSON and Bidi
10:19:43 [atai2]
atai2 has joined #i18n
10:19:48 [Rebeca]
Rebeca has joined #i18n
10:20:03 [r12a]
10:20:07 [addison]
10:20:24 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate addison
10:21:45 [addison]
richard: (introducing topic)
10:21:57 [addison]
... the paragraph direction of the string as a whole
10:22:11 [addison]
... reason that complex is that base direction isn't expressed int he string
10:22:17 [addison]
... might be expressed in the htnml document
10:22:25 [addison]
... like in a form
10:22:32 [addison]
... going to be submitted, etc.
10:22:44 [addison]
... text would go from rtl because html file says dir=rtl
10:22:51 [addison]
... looks rtl oriented because of that
10:23:00 [addison]
... but when typing in english document
10:23:10 [fsasaki]
10:23:11 [addison]
... doesn't look right, so user sets direction on form element
10:23:21 [addison]
... surrounding "stuff" contains the knowledge
10:23:25 [addison]
... string doesn't encode it
10:23:35 [addison]
... and associate it in some way with the string
10:23:45 [addison]
... so consumer can apply correct direction
10:23:54 [addison]
... how do we do that association
10:24:05 [addison]
... direction property in an annotation
10:24:21 [addison]
... people like tantek don't like that direction
10:28:11 [addison]
addison: strings want to carry metadata (dir and lang)
10:28:26 [addison]
richard: producers == people putting text into a json string
10:28:34 [addison]
... consumer == people reading the json
10:28:41 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate addison
10:29:17 [addison]
richard: 3 basic approaches
10:29:22 [addison]
... 1. first strong
10:29:29 [addison]
.... 2. insert markers into string
10:29:35 [addison]
... 3. property that comes with property
10:29:44 [addison]
richard: look at storing base direction
10:50:09 [Rebeca]
Rebeca has joined #i18n
10:59:34 [fsasaki]
this is how an RDF language tag looks like in json-ld = the same as the direction property currently being discussed: "": { "@language": "en", "@value": "That Seventies Show" }
11:00:18 [addison]
"content": "mystring"@@en-US^^rtl
11:03:01 [addison]
"content":"mycontent", "content-dir": "ltr"
11:03:06 [fsasaki]
this may be addison's wiki page on the issue:
11:08:51 [r12a]
11:58:13 [addison]
addison has joined #i18n
11:58:19 [addison]
Topic: Lunch
11:58:24 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate addison
12:07:30 [tantek]
tantek has joined #i18n
12:23:23 [barryleiba]
barryleiba has joined #i18n
12:25:05 [r12a]
r12a has joined #i18n
12:25:33 [r12a]
r12a has joined #i18n
12:25:54 [r12a]
r12a has joined #i18n
12:29:28 [addison]
12:29:58 [atai2]
atai2 has joined #i18n
12:32:31 [addison]
question: webannotation: are we doing the right thing
12:32:56 [addison]
Topic: JSON bidi further discussion
12:33:16 [fsasaki]
fsasaki has joined #i18n
12:33:25 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate addison
12:36:23 [addison]
- webannotation: changes
12:36:40 [addison]
- do we need another serialization scheme (pursue standards)?
12:43:03 [addison]
12:43:08 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #i18n
12:43:16 [Zakim]
Zakim has joined #i18n
12:47:56 [najib]
najib has joined #i18n
12:52:48 [addison]
<cue dir=rtl lang=ar>alala</cue>
12:53:00 [addison]
"cue": "alala"
12:53:09 [addison]
12:53:27 [atai2_]
atai2_ has joined #i18n
12:53:32 [dae]
dae has joined #i18n
12:54:01 [addison]
"cue": { dir: rtl lang:ar text:alala}
13:00:08 [addison]
addison has joined #i18n
13:00:17 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate addison
13:01:55 [r12a]
13:02:20 [fsasaki_]
fsasaki_ has joined #i18n
13:05:19 [addison]
13:05:56 [addison]
action: addison: write to json-ld about potential for a serialization form for natural language strings to address issues with dir and lang
13:05:57 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-552 - Write to json-ld about potential for a serialization form for natural language strings to address issues with dir and lang [on Addison Phillips - due 2016-09-29].
13:09:05 [addison]
discussion of webannotation vs. activitystreams
13:09:43 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate fsasaki
13:10:34 [addison]
richard: for external resources (uris), doesn't make sense to include direction?
13:15:46 [r12a]
13:18:15 [najib]
najib has joined #i18n
13:20:07 [myles]
myles has joined #i18n
13:20:43 [r12a]
13:24:02 [Francesco]
Francesco has joined #i18n
13:24:17 [r12a]
13:28:18 [jasnell]
jasnell has joined #i18n
13:33:11 [addison]
action: addison: work with richard to develop a pros/cons document describing the different bidi-in-json handling proposals
13:33:11 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-553 - Work with richard to develop a pros/cons document describing the different bidi-in-json handling proposals [on Addison Phillips - due 2016-09-29].
13:33:40 [addison]
Topic: Issues Triage
13:33:46 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate addison
13:33:55 [r12a]
13:34:25 [fsasaki]
[just for reference, discussion of the json issue in the XLIFF tc: ]
13:34:59 [addison]
• rb and rtc non-conforming in html5.1
13:37:04 [addison]
13:37:22 [r12a]
13:39:03 [addison]
okay, don't close and track whatwg 1771 in that issue
13:39:54 [addison]
• BP3 should recommend locale-neutral representation
13:41:37 [addison]
13:43:54 [addison]
13:44:18 [addison]
13:45:01 [addison]
13:45:51 [addison]
• What Latin means
13:46:19 [addison]
13:47:03 [addison]
changed text to: "... books that use the Latin script, based on ...
13:47:09 [addison]
13:47:32 [addison]
• Possibility for a character to be interpreted differently depending on locale
13:47:51 [addison]
13:48:40 [addison]
13:49:28 [addison]
13:50:22 [addison]
addison: prefer language to locale in several places in the text, but okayy
13:50:31 [addison]
13:50:46 [addison]
• list of displays: should it address display name, language, etc.?
13:52:10 [addison]
13:52:59 [addison]
close as stale
13:53:01 [jasnell]
jasnell has joined #i18n
13:53:04 [addison]
• Make unicode-bidi: isolate the default for elements with a dir attribute (mozilla)
13:53:36 [addison]
they did it
13:53:37 [addison]
13:53:50 [addison]
• [csvw] instance definitions for direction
13:54:47 [addison]
13:55:02 [addison]
• Consider removing TextEncoder support for UTF-16
13:55:17 [addison]
13:58:42 [addison]
Topic: Coffee Break
13:58:47 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate addison
13:59:42 [nigel]
nigel has joined #i18n
14:17:40 [addison]
14:17:55 [addison]
present+ fantasai
14:18:02 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate addison
14:25:24 [dae]
dae has joined #i18n
14:31:07 [myles]
myles has joined #i18n
14:31:55 [atai]
atai has joined #i18n
14:36:07 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate addison
14:36:22 [addison]
Topic: Social Web
14:36:36 [addison]
(entering room: Amy, Sandro, Chris, 1 other)
14:38:11 [addison]
Look for scribing on #social for this section
14:46:46 [atai]
atai has left #i18n
14:57:42 [Yoshiro_]
Yoshiro_ has joined #i18n
14:59:50 [najib]
najib has joined #i18n
15:03:04 [paulcj]
paulcj has joined #i18n
15:34:45 [barryleiba]
barryleiba has joined #i18n
15:39:36 [barryleiba1]
barryleiba1 has joined #i18n
15:43:22 [jasnell]
jasnell has joined #i18n
15:47:58 [atai2]
atai2 has joined #i18n
15:54:45 [tantek]
tantek has joined #i18n
16:04:09 [myles]
myles has joined #i18n
16:10:27 [addison]
action:addison: work to schedule a review of microformats
16:12:50 [jasnell]
jasnell has joined #i18n
16:13:33 [addison]
action:addison:work to schedule a review of microformats
16:14:33 [jasnell_]
jasnell_ has joined #i18n
16:15:29 [fsasaki]
action: addison to work to schedule a review of microformats
16:15:29 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-554 - Work to schedule a review of microformats [on Addison Phillips - due 2016-09-29].
16:23:28 [addison]
action: addison to provide implementer guidelines for how to obtain language from runtime environment, users, et al
16:23:28 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-555 - Provide implementer guidelines for how to obtain language from runtime environment, users, et al [on Addison Phillips - due 2016-09-29].
16:28:24 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate addison
16:28:57 [addison]
Topic: End of Day/Closing
16:33:26 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate addison
16:33:36 [addison]
adjourning for the day
16:33:40 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate addison
16:33:42 [addison]
zakim, bye
16:33:42 [Zakim]
leaving. As of this point the attendees have been fantasai
16:33:42 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #i18n
16:33:44 [addison]
rrsagent, bye
16:33:44 [RRSAgent]
I see 6 open action items saved in :
16:33:44 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: addison: write to json-ld about potential for a serialization form for natural language strings to address issues with dir and lang [1]
16:33:44 [RRSAgent]
recorded in
16:33:44 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: addison: work with richard to develop a pros/cons document describing the different bidi-in-json handling proposals [2]
16:33:44 [RRSAgent]
recorded in
16:33:44 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: addison: work to schedule a review of microformats [3]
16:33:44 [RRSAgent]
recorded in
16:33:44 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: addison:work to schedule a review of microformats [4]
16:33:44 [RRSAgent]
recorded in
16:33:44 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: addison to work to schedule a review of microformats [5]
16:33:44 [RRSAgent]
recorded in
16:33:44 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: addison to provide implementer guidelines for how to obtain language from runtime environment, users, et al [6]
16:33:44 [RRSAgent]
recorded in