IRC log of sdwssn on 2016-05-17

Timestamps are in UTC.

20:58:03 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #sdwssn
20:58:03 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2016/05/17-sdwssn-irc
20:58:05 [SimonCox]
present+ SimonCox
20:58:05 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, make logs world
20:58:05 [Zakim]
Zakim has joined #sdwssn
20:58:07 [trackbot]
Zakim, this will be SDW
20:58:07 [Zakim]
ok, trackbot
20:58:08 [trackbot]
Meeting: Spatial Data on the Web Working Group Teleconference
20:58:08 [trackbot]
Date: 17 May 2016
20:58:14 [phila]
zakim, code?
20:58:15 [Zakim]
I have been told this is SDW
20:58:18 [Kerry]
present+ kerry
20:58:24 [Kerry]
regrets+ ScottSimmons
20:58:28 [SimonCox]
present
20:58:46 [phila]
present+ SimonCox
20:58:48 [DanhLePhuoc]
present+ DanhLePhuoc
20:58:54 [ahaller2]
ahaller2 has joined #sdwssn
20:59:06 [RaulGarciaCastro]
RaulGarciaCastro has joined #sdwssn
20:59:41 [robin]
robin has joined #sdwssn
20:59:48 [robin]
present+ robin
20:59:49 [SimonCox]
Webex password rejected
20:59:56 [ByronCinNZ]
present+ ByronCinNZ
21:00:10 [phila]
zakim, this is https://mit.webex.com/mit/j.php?MTID=mb5ce4073e5faccf02502083c23834e30 pw sdwssn Meeting no. 647 066 501 (+1-617-324-0000 )
21:00:10 [Zakim]
got it, phila
21:00:19 [RaulGarciaCastro]
SimonCox: sdwssn
21:01:10 [RaulGarciaCastro]
present+ RaulGarciaCastro
21:01:11 [ClausStadler]
ClausStadler has joined #sdwssn
21:01:26 [JRamsay]
JRamsay has joined #sdwssn
21:01:43 [SefkiKolozali_Unis]
SefkiKolozali_Unis has joined #sdwssn
21:01:44 [KJanowic]
present+ kjanowic
21:01:53 [Kerry]
chair: Kerry
21:02:36 [SefkiKolozali_Unis]
present SefkiKolozali_Unis
21:02:45 [SefkiKolozali_Unis]
present+ SefkiKolozali_Unis
21:03:04 [Kerry]
scribe: simon
21:03:05 [SimonCox]
scribenick+ SImonCox
21:03:16 [ahaller2]
i am having troubles connecting, the phone keeps dropping
21:03:22 [Kerry]
scribeNick: SimonCox
21:03:43 [roba]
roba has joined #sdwssn
21:03:49 [JRamsay]
present+ JRamsay
21:04:16 [roba]
present+ roba
21:04:20 [ClausStadler]
present+ ClausStadler
21:04:25 [josh]
josh has joined #sdwssn
21:04:36 [ahaller2]
present+ ahaller2
21:04:36 [KJanowic]
Cannot get the webex password to work
21:04:53 [Kerry]
topic: approve minutes http://www.w3.org/2016/05/03-sdwssn-minutes
21:04:57 [ClausStadler]
same name as the channel without the '#'
21:05:06 [DanhLePhuoc]
+1
21:05:10 [Kerry]
+1
21:05:17 [SimonCox]
motion: approve minutes
21:05:18 [RaulGarciaCastro]
+1
21:05:20 [JRamsay]
+1
21:05:22 [ClausStadler]
+1
21:05:23 [ahaller2]
+1
21:05:43 [Kerry]
q+ kerry
21:05:48 [Kerry]
ack kerry
21:06:06 [SimonCox]
resolved: approve minutes
21:06:18 [SimonCox]
item: patent call
21:06:24 [SimonCox]
topic: patent call
21:06:32 [Kerry]
patent call: https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/Patent_Call
21:07:09 [SimonCox]
no patent items.
21:07:16 [Kerry]
topic: https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/Patent_Call
21:07:25 [Phila-offline]
Phila-offline has joined #sdwssn
21:07:31 [SimonCox]
q+
21:08:08 [SimonCox]
topic: review FPWD http://w3c.github.io/sdw/ssn/
21:08:27 [Kerry]
topic: Documentation section 4
21:08:36 [Kerry]
ack SimonCox
21:08:39 [Phila-offline]
Apologies - BT Broadband problems (the two are synonymous)
21:10:01 [SimonCox]
SimonCox - concerned that documentation e.g. http://w3c.github.io/sdw/ssn/#d4e892
21:10:10 [phila]
phila has joined #sdwssn
21:10:16 [SimonCox]
still makes reference to 'Situation' which is DUL concept
21:10:50 [phila]
present+ phila
21:11:53 [SimonCox]
Kerry: yes, still based on the original SSN documentation
21:11:57 [SimonCox]
q+
21:12:02 [josh]
q+
21:12:21 [Kerry]
ack SimonCox
21:12:41 [KJanowic]
SimonCox: Maybe add more warning to main clear that this documentation will be replaced (in some places).
21:12:51 [KJanowic]
s/main/make
21:12:59 [ahaller2]
+1 for a caveat on top
21:13:22 [ahaller2]
q+
21:13:26 [SimonCox]
Action: Danh to add caveat related to documentation replacement
21:13:26 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-170 - Add caveat related to documentation replacement [on Danh Le Phuoc - due 2016-05-24].
21:14:04 [SimonCox]
Danh: Some missing pieces of documentation, e.g. skos:exactMatch?
21:14:11 [SimonCox]
would have to be done manually
21:15:03 [Kerry]
action: danh to write a caveat around ssn doc section to go into ed draft to explain the doc will change in accordance with changes of the ontology but refelct ssn as it was
21:15:03 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-171 - Write a caveat around ssn doc section to go into ed draft to explain the doc will change in accordance with changes of the ontology but refelct ssn as it was [on Danh Le Phuoc - due 2016-05-24].
21:15:18 [Kerry]
q?
21:15:18 [SimonCox]
some dc:source information is not carried through to automatically generated LODE documentation
21:16:02 [SimonCox]
Kerry: since documentation is only in 'annotation' properties does not matter ...
21:16:25 [Kerry]
q?
21:16:27 [SimonCox]
q?
21:16:31 [Kerry]
ack josh
21:17:35 [KJanowic]
josh: fine as long as we agreed that this draft will not later limit our proposed changes.
21:17:38 [SimonCox]
josh: conflicting priorities - intent to re-factor (modular, O&M alignment, PROV alignment) vs. need to get FPWD out, despite content issues - we are wll clear that FPWD is not a constraint on future revisions
21:18:15 [SefkiKolozali_Unis]
q+
21:18:59 [Kerry]
ack ahaller2
21:19:03 [SimonCox]
http://w3c.github.io/sdw/ssn/#Work Plan and 'Status' section
21:19:10 [Kerry]
ack ahaller2
21:19:57 [phila]
I did a *lot* of manual editing... so I probably introduced more than one error.
21:20:04 [KJanowic]
Aren't we running into problems by rushing this; If we put out the FPWD and people start commenting on issues that will not make it into the final version anyway?
21:20:13 [SimonCox]
Armin: typo in condition description?
21:20:19 [phila]
<a name="blah"></a> is *so* last century...
21:20:30 [SimonCox]
+1 @KJanowic
21:20:32 [Kerry]
action: danh to fix "dition" class
21:20:33 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-172 - Fix "dition" class [on Danh Le Phuoc - due 2016-05-24].
21:20:54 [Kerry]
q?
21:21:12 [Kerry]
ack ahaller
21:21:17 [Kerry]
ack SefkiKolozali_Unis
21:21:24 [SimonCox]
ack Sefki
21:22:24 [Kerry]
Sefki saying that ssn is only human-readable, nor machine readable
21:23:48 [SimonCox]
Sefki: propose major refactor for 'timeline' support
21:24:13 [SimonCox]
q+
21:24:22 [SimonCox]
q-
21:24:44 [SimonCox]
@KJanowic - do you want to join q?
21:25:07 [SimonCox]
"<KJanowic> Aren't we running into problems by rushing this; If we put out the FPWD and people start commenting on issues that will not make it into the final version anyway?"
21:25:24 [Kerry]
q?
21:25:55 [KJanowic]
q+
21:26:02 [Kerry]
ack KJanowic
21:26:48 [SimonCox]
KJanowic: group agrees that there will be major changes, so should not issue working draft, so as not to waste people's time commenting?
21:27:49 [SimonCox]
Kerry: group lifetime is a pressure - need to publish early and often - plenty of precedent for draftier drafts in W3C
21:28:07 [SimonCox]
Purpose of FPWD is to solicit comment
21:28:39 [SimonCox]
Timeline was set in Dec 2015, Feb 2016
21:28:50 [SimonCox]
ALready one month late
21:29:07 [Kerry]
q?
21:29:11 [ahaller2]
q+
21:29:12 [SimonCox]
There is no realistic alternative ...
21:29:39 [SefkiKolozali_Unis]
My question was about local restrictions vs global restrictions. Since SSN Ontology is using global restrictions, SSN Ontology is missing domain and range definitions for properties. This can causes some problem when one is parsing the ontology or mapping the ontology into a library.
21:29:39 [Kerry]
ack ahaller
21:29:42 [SimonCox]
... but must be sure of support for publishing current draft
21:30:21 [Kerry]
+q
21:30:35 [KJanowic]
@Sefki: guarded domain and range restrictions were added on purpose vs global domains and ranges
21:30:44 [SimonCox]
Armin: add comment that modularization does not yet represent the ultimate intention
21:31:00 [SimonCox]
Kerry: all in http://w3c.github.io/sdw/ssn/#Work Plan
21:31:34 [SimonCox]
Armin: modularization until now only relates to splitting out DOLCE, not the other re-factoring
21:31:51 [roba]
Needs to be in introductory/scoping section
21:31:57 [SimonCox]
Task: Armin to write words to explain intentions around modularization, RDFS
21:31:58 [Kerry]
action: armin to write a little more about modul,arisation re currnet state
21:31:58 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-173 - Write a little more about modul,arisation re currnet state [on Armin Haller - due 2016-05-24].
21:32:05 [Kerry]
q?
21:32:18 [Kerry]
topic: URL for SSN & SSN-DUL
21:32:40 [SimonCox]
Currently https://www.w3.org/ns/ssn/
21:33:07 [Kerry]
q?
21:33:37 [Kerry]
topic: Modularisation section 3
21:33:41 [SimonCox]
Topic: modularization
21:33:58 [SimonCox]
http://w3c.github.io/sdw/ssn/#Modularisation
21:34:54 [roba]
q+
21:34:59 [SimonCox]
SimonCox - segmentation text is rather hard to read - could it be improved (examples?)
21:35:05 [Kerry]
action: armin to add examples to modularisation
21:35:05 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-174 - Add examples to modularisation [on Armin Haller - due 2016-05-24].
21:35:16 [SimonCox]
q?
21:35:24 [josh]
q+
21:35:26 [Kerry]
ack kerry
21:35:27 [phila]
s/SimonCox - s/SimonCox: s/
21:35:43 [SimonCox]
SimonCox - 'horizontal' vs 'vertical' a bit abstract
21:36:08 [Kerry]
q?
21:36:20 [Kerry]
ack roba
21:36:25 [josh]
+1 - the spatial analogy has little meaning. Axiomatic versus subclass dimensions makes more sense
21:36:25 [SimonCox]
ack roba
21:37:12 [KJanowic]
I simply forgot to consider that, sorry. Happy to change this.
21:37:30 [SimonCox]
q+
21:37:42 [josh]
q-
21:37:48 [Kerry]
q?
21:37:57 [Kerry]
ack SimonCox
21:38:12 [KJanowic]
The wiki ahaller2 pointed to: https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/SSN_core_modules
21:38:20 [KJanowic]
q+
21:39:02 [Kerry]
q?
21:39:08 [ahaller2]
q+
21:39:09 [Kerry]
ack KJanowic
21:39:20 [roba]
+1
21:39:23 [Kerry]
q?
21:39:30 [Kerry]
ack ahaller2
21:40:22 [SimonCox]
Armin: "/" URIs proposed to best support modularization
21:40:36 [SimonCox]
... including URIs for modules
21:40:46 [Kerry]
q?
21:40:50 [Kerry]
ack ahaller2
21:40:57 [Kerry]
ack ahaller
21:41:07 [Kerry]
Work Plan section 5
21:41:24 [phila]
Topic: Work Plan Section 5
21:41:31 [phila]
RRSAgent, make logs public
21:41:33 [SimonCox]
http://w3c.github.io/sdw/ssn/#WorkPlan
21:41:37 [phila]
RRSAgent, draft minutes
21:41:37 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2016/05/17-sdwssn-minutes.html phila
21:42:29 [Kerry]
q?
21:43:26 [SefkiKolozali_Unis]
q+
21:43:38 [Kerry]
topic: Any other burning and essential FPWD issue
21:44:25 [SimonCox]
no reponse
21:44:48 [phila]
ack s
21:44:51 [Kerry]
ack SefkiKolozali_Unis
21:44:57 [DanhLePhuoc]
q+
21:45:09 [SimonCox]
SefkiKolozali_Unis: relationship with sensors/IoT
21:45:27 [SimonCox]
... still unclear how to contribute
21:46:41 [SimonCox]
https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/Proposals_for_rewriting_SSN
21:47:44 [SimonCox]
q+
21:48:22 [SimonCox]
ack DanhLePhuoc
21:48:22 [Kerry]
q?
21:49:03 [SimonCox]
DanhLePhuoc: add diagrams in Section 4 to explain relationship to patterns etc
21:49:08 [SimonCox]
Kerry: too late
21:49:35 [SimonCox]
... but if you can add diagrams to Wiki, will be added to next version
21:49:48 [Kerry]
q?
21:49:58 [Kerry]
ack SimonCox
21:50:56 [KJanowic]
+1 for SamplingFeature. I also added this to the SSN core proposal: https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/SSN_core_modules
21:51:36 [phila]
q+ to talk about issues
21:51:37 [SimonCox]
Action: Kerry to add Sampling Features in Issue biox
21:51:37 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-175 - Add sampling features in issue biox [on Kerry Taylor - due 2016-05-24].
21:51:38 [josh]
Perhaps it just seems something to do "after" re-factoring
21:51:41 [DanhLePhuoc]
q+
21:51:49 [Kerry]
action: kerry to put issue box around sampling features
21:51:49 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-176 - Put issue box around sampling features [on Kerry Taylor - due 2016-05-24].
21:51:58 [phila]
q?
21:52:01 [Kerry]
q?
21:52:08 [Kerry]
ack phila
21:52:08 [Zakim]
phila, you wanted to talk about issues
21:53:05 [SimonCox]
phila: make formally tracked issues consistently
21:54:04 [SimonCox]
... it is essential that issues are tracked, and that we link to them
21:54:51 [SimonCox]
WHat is mechanics to add items to tracker?
21:54:57 [Kerry]
w3c tracker it is
21:55:49 [phila]
issue: Align SSN to to implement Best Practices as defined in our BP deliverable.
21:55:49 [trackbot]
Created ISSUE-42 - Align ssn to to implement best practices as defined in our bp deliverable.. Please complete additional details at <http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/issues/42/edit>.
21:56:13 [SimonCox]
issue: Add treatment of Sampling Features in SSN
21:56:13 [trackbot]
Created ISSUE-43 - Add treatment of sampling features in ssn. Please complete additional details at <http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/issues/43/edit>.
21:57:00 [phila]
q?
21:57:01 [Kerry]
q?
21:57:05 [Kerry]
ack DanhLePhuoc
21:59:20 [Kerry]
q?
21:59:37 [josh]
bye
21:59:43 [josh]
josh has left #sdwssn
22:01:13 [KJanowic]
Thanks, bye bye
22:01:23 [ahaller2]
hi byron
22:01:24 [roba]
bye
22:01:26 [ahaller2]
bye
22:01:27 [SefkiKolozali_Unis]
bye
22:01:29 [RaulGarciaCastro]
Bye!
22:01:35 [phila]
RRSAgent, draft minutes
22:01:35 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2016/05/17-sdwssn-minutes.html phila
22:02:59 [ByronCinNZ]
bye
22:10:18 [phila]
issue: Justify why we are changing SSN at all
22:10:18 [trackbot]
Created ISSUE-44 - Justify why we are changing ssn at all. Please complete additional details at <http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/issues/44/edit>.
22:21:28 [phila]
issue: The DUL alignment in the proposed FPWD does not yet reflect the recent change to the namespace of DUL itself.
22:21:28 [trackbot]
Created ISSUE-45 - The dul alignment in the proposed fpwd does not yet reflect the recent change to the namespace of dul itself.. Please complete additional details at <http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/issues/45/edit>.
22:23:29 [phila]
issue: Should the movement of Sensor become a direct subclass of dul:Object?
22:23:29 [trackbot]
Created ISSUE-46 - Should the movement of sensor become a direct subclass of dul:object?. Please complete additional details at <http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/issues/46/edit>.
22:24:14 [phila]
issue: A thorough check on annotation properties needs to be made
22:24:14 [trackbot]
Created ISSUE-47 - A thorough check on annotation properties needs to be made. Please complete additional details at <http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/issues/47/edit>.
22:25:05 [phila]
issue: Will SSN core be an RDFS-only vocabulary with modular extensions supporting both expanded terms and expanded expressiveness in the ontology language?
22:25:06 [trackbot]
Created ISSUE-48 - Will ssn core be an rdfs-only vocabulary with modular extensions supporting both expanded terms and expanded expressiveness in the ontology language?. Please complete additional details at <http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/issues/48/edit>.
22:26:12 [phila]
issue: Consider splitting the ontology into smaller sections to offer simplified access
22:26:12 [trackbot]
Created ISSUE-49 - Consider splitting the ontology into smaller sections to offer simplified access. Please complete additional details at <http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/issues/49/edit>.
22:26:29 [phila]
issue: How do we replace those components
22:26:29 [trackbot]
Created ISSUE-50 - How do we replace those components. Please complete additional details at <http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/issues/50/edit>.
22:26:29 [phila]
of dul that seem to be core to ssn if dul is not being used?
22:26:46 [phila]
issue: How do we replace those components
22:26:46 [phila]
of dul that seem to be core to ssn if dul is not being used?
22:26:46 [trackbot]
Created ISSUE-51 - How do we replace those components. Please complete additional details at <http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/issues/51/edit>.
22:30:07 [phila]
issue: What goes in SSN and what should bee just a recommended profile/extract/extension?
22:30:08 [trackbot]
Created ISSUE-52 - What goes in ssn and what should bee just a recommended profile/extract/extension?. Please complete additional details at <http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/issues/52/edit>.
22:30:36 [phila]
issue: Align SSN with PROV-O
22:30:37 [trackbot]
Created ISSUE-53 - Align ssn with prov-o. Please complete additional details at <http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/issues/53/edit>.
22:31:18 [phila]
issue: Is it ok to use SWRL or would it be better to make some bigger changes to SSN to align with PROV-O?
22:31:19 [trackbot]
Created ISSUE-54 - Is it ok to use swrl or would it be better to make some bigger changes to ssn to align with prov-o?. Please complete additional details at <http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/issues/54/edit>.
22:31:54 [phila]
issue: Align SSN with RDF datacube
22:31:55 [trackbot]
Created ISSUE-55 - Align ssn with rdf datacube. Please complete additional details at <http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/issues/55/edit>.
22:32:11 [phila]
issue: SSN for IoT devices
22:32:11 [trackbot]
Created ISSUE-56 - Ssn for iot devices. Please complete additional details at <http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/issues/56/edit>.
22:32:31 [phila]
issue: Align SSN with the ontology developed for the coverage deliverable
22:32:31 [trackbot]
Created ISSUE-57 - Align ssn with the ontology developed for the coverage deliverable. Please complete additional details at <http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/issues/57/edit>.
22:32:49 [phila]
issue: Extend SSN to to cover requirements identified in our UCR
22:32:49 [trackbot]
Created ISSUE-58 - Extend ssn to to cover requirements identified in our ucr. Please complete additional details at <http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/issues/58/edit>.
22:34:33 [phila]
issue: Extend SSN to to cover requirements identified in our wish List
22:34:34 [trackbot]
Created ISSUE-59 - Extend ssn to to cover requirements identified in our wish list. Please complete additional details at <http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/issues/59/edit>.
22:34:57 [phila]
issue: Review annotation properties, including multilingual. Fix typos and spelling
22:34:58 [trackbot]
Created ISSUE-60 - Review annotation properties, including multilingual. fix typos and spelling. Please complete additional details at <http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/issues/60/edit>.
22:35:54 [phila]
issue: Extend SSN to cover https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/Working_Use_Cases#Various_Sensor_Use_Cases_.28SSN.29
22:35:54 [trackbot]
Created ISSUE-61 - Extend ssn to cover https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/working_use_cases#various_sensor_use_cases_.28ssn.29. Please complete additional details at <http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/issues/61/edit>.
22:58:03 [ahaller2]
ahaller2 has joined #sdwssn
23:13:58 [ahaller2]
ahaller2 has joined #sdwssn