IRC log of sdw on 2016-02-24

Timestamps are in UTC.

19:57:00 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #sdw
19:57:00 [RRSAgent]
logging to
19:57:02 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, make logs world
19:57:02 [Zakim]
Zakim has joined #sdw
19:57:04 [trackbot]
Zakim, this will be SDW
19:57:04 [Zakim]
I do not see a conference matching that name scheduled within the next hour, trackbot
19:57:05 [trackbot]
Meeting: Spatial Data on the Web Working Group Teleconference
19:57:05 [trackbot]
Date: 24 February 2016
19:57:58 [kerry]
rrsagent, make logs public
19:58:42 [kerry]
present+ kerry
19:58:52 [ScottSimmons]
ScottSimmons has joined #sdw
19:58:59 [kerry]
regrets: Clemens, Jon Blower
19:59:05 [kerry]
regrets+ Rachel
19:59:07 [ScottSimmons]
present+ ScottSimmons
19:59:12 [kerry]
regrets+ Frans
19:59:17 [kerry]
regrets+ payam
19:59:36 [eparsons]
eparsons has joined #sdw
19:59:42 [ahaller2]
present+ ahaller2
19:59:45 [ChrisLittle]
ChrisLittle has joined #sdw
19:59:47 [robin]
robin has joined #sdw
19:59:53 [robin]
present+ robin
20:00:20 [eparsons]
present+ eparsons
20:00:27 [RaulGarciaCastro]
RaulGarciaCastro has joined #sdw
20:00:49 [SimonCox]
SimonCox has joined #sdw
20:01:22 [kerry]
regrets+ josh
20:01:23 [SimonCox]
present+ SimonCox
20:01:24 [aharth]
aharth has joined #sdw
20:01:27 [LarsG]
LarsG has joined #sdw
20:01:32 [kerry]
regrets+ jon
20:01:42 [LarsG]
present+ LarsG
20:01:43 [Linda]
Linda has joined #sdw
20:01:55 [kerry]
regrets + krzysztof
20:01:56 [aharth]
present+ aharth
20:02:09 [RaulGarciaCastro]
present+ RaulGarciaCastro
20:02:27 [kerry]
regrets+ krzysztof
20:02:50 [jtandy]
jtandy has joined #sdw
20:02:51 [ChrisLittle]
present+ ChrisLittle
20:03:01 [ClausStadler]
ClausStadler has joined #sdw
20:03:07 [ClausStadler]
present+ ClausStadler
20:03:16 [Linda]
present+ Linda
20:03:54 [jtandy]
present+ jtandy
20:05:05 [MattPerry]
MattPerry has joined #sdw
20:06:02 [AndreaPerego]
AndreaPerego has joined #sdw
20:07:02 [ahaller2]
i ca volunteer
20:07:12 [ahaller2]
20:07:14 [SimonCox]
onya Armin
20:07:23 [MattPerry]
present+ MattPerry
20:07:48 [billroberts]
billroberts has joined #sdw
20:07:50 [kerry]
scribe: ahaller2
20:07:57 [kerry]
scribeNick ahaller2
20:08:17 [billroberts]
present+ billroberts
20:08:34 [ScottSimmons]
+1 to Jeremy's idea
20:09:07 [billroberts]
sorry I'm a bit late
20:09:14 [ChrisLittle]
+1 to bumping nonIRC
20:10:09 [kerry]
propose: apprive last weeks minutes
20:10:19 [Linda]
20:10:20 [jtandy]
20:10:20 [AndreaPerego]
present+ AndreaPerego
20:10:21 [RaulGarciaCastro]
20:10:22 [AndreaPerego]
20:10:22 [kerry]
20:10:24 [LarsG]
20:10:24 [eparsons]
20:10:25 [SimonCox]
20:10:25 [MattPerry]
20:10:27 [robin]
20:10:28 [jtandy]
20:10:31 [ChrisLittle]
20:10:49 [kerry]
resolved: approve minutes
20:10:50 [LarsG]
+0 (wasn't there)
20:10:57 [kerry]
topic: patent call
20:11:25 [ClausStadler]
+0 (unfortunately missed it as well)
20:11:54 [kerry]
topic: Plan for meetings permitting parallel work
20:13:13 [ahaller2]
kerry: separate meetings for subgroups, time, ssn, potentially best practises
20:13:50 [eparsons]
20:13:57 [ahaller2]
... proposal, subgroup meetings at the same time as currently, every other week
20:13:59 [kerry]
ack eparsons
20:14:57 [ahaller2]
eparsons: at F2F we agreed to have the subgroups have a meeting at a time of their choosing, and every other week we have the meeting at large
20:15:18 [jtandy]
q+ to note that we were trying to deconflict participating in multiple activities
20:15:29 [kerry]
ack jtandy
20:15:29 [Zakim]
jtandy, you wanted to note that we were trying to deconflict participating in multiple activities
20:15:31 [kerry]
20:16:15 [ChrisLittle]
20:16:25 [kerry]
ack ChrisLittle
20:16:29 [jtandy]
q+ to suggest something ...
20:16:51 [ahaller2]
ChrisLittle: agree to ed, leave people some flexibility to chose a time
20:17:27 [jtandy]
20:17:38 [SimonCox]
for me: time & ssn
20:18:25 [kerry]
who want to be here for BP meetings?
20:18:26 [jtandy]
20:18:28 [eparsons]
20:18:30 [AndreaPerego]
20:18:31 [billroberts]
20:18:31 [Linda]
20:18:33 [ScottSimmons]
20:18:35 [MattPerry]
20:18:37 [LarsG]
20:18:48 [ClausStadler]
20:18:53 [ChrisLittle]
20:18:54 [robin]
20:20:49 [kerry]
who wants to attend time meetings?
20:20:51 [ChrisLittle]
20:20:52 [SimonCox]
20:20:53 [Linda]
20:20:57 [jtandy]
20:21:06 [eparsons]
20:21:06 [aharth]
20:21:10 [LarsG]
20:21:16 [kerry]
20:21:17 [AndreaPerego]
20:21:17 [SimonCox]
Simon sticks his tongue out at Jeremy
20:21:20 [robin]
20:21:24 [ClausStadler]
20:21:25 [billroberts]
20:21:29 [MattPerry]
20:21:30 [ScottSimmons]
20:21:37 [jtandy]
20:21:51 [jtandy]
reevaluate: +0
20:22:32 [kerry]
who wants to attend ssn?
20:22:35 [Linda]
20:22:37 [RaulGarciaCastro]
20:22:38 [ahaller2]
20:22:38 [LarsG]
20:22:40 [ChrisLittle]
20:22:41 [robin]
20:22:42 [kerry]
20:22:43 [ClausStadler]
20:22:45 [SimonCox]
20:22:47 [jtandy]
20:22:48 [billroberts]
20:22:50 [MattPerry]
20:22:59 [eparsons]
20:23:09 [ScottSimmons]
20:24:08 [billroberts]
+1 !
20:24:12 [eparsons]
20:24:14 [aharth]
20:24:15 [ScottSimmons]
20:24:17 [jtandy]
20:24:19 [Linda]
20:24:20 [eparsons]
20:24:21 [billroberts]
+1 (again)
20:24:22 [ChrisLittle]
20:24:24 [MattPerry]
20:24:28 [robin]
20:24:45 [kerry]
20:24:45 [LarsG]
20:24:46 [RaulGarciaCastro]
20:24:47 [jtandy]
s/+1 !/who wants to be in coverages/
20:24:48 [ClausStadler]
20:25:17 [billroberts]
I can work it out from this list, thanks
20:25:25 [jtandy]
20:25:41 [SimonCox]
(is Jon Blower on the coverage list?)
20:26:44 [kerry]
ack jtandy
20:27:31 [ChrisLittle]
* Simon - will work on Jon B
20:27:44 [ahaller2]
jtandy: meeting with the data on the web people was scheduled for next week
20:28:32 [ahaller2]
eparsons: intention was to have more meetings, not less, thus we should keep the one next week
20:28:38 [billroberts]
@SimonCox I'll assume Jon Blower is interested and include him in meeting time consultation
20:29:13 [ChrisLittle]
@billroberts good idea
20:29:13 [ahaller2]
kerry: next week a full meeting at this time slot, with data on the web, after that we start with every alternate week
20:29:32 [jtandy]
[so we need to set up the multiple meetings for w/c 7-march?]
20:30:26 [ahaller2]
eparsons: requirement for the editors of these subgroup meetings to inform the list and to keep the wiki updated with the agenda at least 24h before the meeting
20:30:27 [RaulGarciaCastro]
Also with aproval of minutes and patent call and so on?
20:30:39 [ahaller2]
20:31:04 [ahaller2]
kerry: yes, it should include minutes and patent call
20:32:00 [ahaller2]
kerry: should be in the same irc channel, i.e. #sdw
20:32:06 [kerry]
20:32:07 [ChrisLittle]
@SimonCox let us start sooner rather than later
20:32:28 [kerry]
topic: Temporal Issues Time Issues and Notes
20:32:30 [SimonCox]
About time!
20:32:51 [kerry]
20:34:53 [ahaller2]
ChrisLittle: commented on his notes, and that these notes should be discussed in the time working group
20:35:07 [DanhLePhuoc]
DanhLePhuoc has joined #sdw
20:35:19 [DanhLePhuoc]
present+ DanhLePhuoc
20:37:02 [ahaller2]
SimonCox: we have this nailed already ;-)
20:37:21 [kerry]
20:37:58 [kerry]
20:37:59 [jtandy]
20:38:18 [kerry]
ack kerry
20:38:34 [ahaller2]
ChrisLittle: homework would be to make these notes in the current owl time document
20:38:45 [kerry]
ack jtandy
20:39:24 [aharth]
20:39:35 [kerry]
ack aharth
20:39:38 [ahaller2]
jtandy: point simon to existing vocabs such as dcat and datacube that turn on/off ttl syntax/rdf syntax
20:40:11 [ahaller2]
aharth: question regarding predicates that compare time. Are they still in scope?
20:40:13 [kerry]
20:40:23 [jtandy]
[and that the examples in those vocabs are provided in line]
20:40:35 [ahaller2]
SimonCox: no reason to interfere with that part
20:41:06 [ahaller2]
aharth: if you get imprecise with time, how do you do the comparison operators
20:41:38 [ahaller2]
SimonCox: comparison operator result will be undefined in certain circumstances
20:41:48 [AndreaPerego]
ack Kerry
20:41:53 [kerry]
ack kerry
20:41:58 [kerry]
20:42:12 [kerry]
+1 to simon
20:42:15 [ahaller2]
kerry: there is a strong user base of time, thus we would have to have a very strong reason to change or remove current components
20:42:26 [ChrisLittle]
+1 to Simon
20:42:48 [ahaller2]
SimonCox: fully aware of that and have this as a principle
20:43:08 [kerry]
topic: SSN: progress report and IoT-lite [1]
20:44:50 [ahaller2]
ahaller2: regarding webprotege and upload of ssn parts to webprotege, I received the namespace only 3 days ago, and did not have time yet to upload it. will do until next meeting
20:45:29 [kerry]
20:45:55 [kerry]
20:46:53 [ahaller2]
kerry: team comment was that this group should publish it as a note of the ssn work
20:47:10 [SimonCox]
How does iot-lite interact with ssn 'skeleton'?
20:47:24 [ahaller2]
... this was done together with the web of things interest group
20:47:49 [SimonCox]
There was some discussion on list about factoring the SSN ontology, different principles that might be used.
20:48:11 [ahaller2]
ScottSimmons: this comes a bit cold
20:48:32 [SimonCox]
OGC separates details into Observations vs Sensor-systems.
20:48:51 [ahaller2]
ahaller2: also wonder how this interacts with the skeleton?
20:49:07 [SimonCox]
To allow different specialization choices in each.
20:49:40 [ScottSimmons]
I'll just note that the submission has multiple places to enter the OGC process, we will just need to mutually agree on the best place
20:49:41 [ahaller2]
kerry: broadly it looks like ssn with some extensions
20:49:55 [ahaller2]
... has built into it the units ontology
20:50:02 [SimonCox]
If skeleton classes are stubs, then that makes extensibility easier.
20:50:42 [SimonCox]
qu-taxo is unavailable now! 404!
20:51:39 [ahaller2]
... deals with actuations, in a very light way
20:52:12 [ahaller2]
... has a notation of coverage, very simple geometric description that the device represents
20:52:13 [SimonCox]
QUDT is OK ... but v2.0 is now about 3 years overdue, and only rolling out in a rather punctuated fashion.
20:53:23 [kerry]
20:53:30 [SimonCox]
ssn 'skeleton'
20:53:45 [jtandy]
q+ to wonder if this, or something similar, could be used as example around sensor data eg river flow gauge
20:54:48 [SimonCox]
so where are the observation results (values) found in iot-lite?
20:54:59 [kerry]
20:55:05 [ahaller2]
kerry: it is my believe that the observation part can be used in the ssn
20:55:24 [kerry]
ack jtandy
20:55:24 [Zakim]
jtandy, you wanted to wonder if this, or something similar, could be used as example around sensor data eg river flow gauge
20:56:21 [ahaller2]
jtandy: some things we do around the emergency response example, we are keen to include sensor apis from the OGC and also stuff from this ontology
20:56:41 [SimonCox]
q+ how does iot-lite relate to ssn skeleton?
20:56:44 [ahaller2]
kerry: i think for that use case you should be looking at the full SSN ontology
20:56:58 [SimonCox]
q+ where are the observation results (values) found in iot-lite?
20:57:30 [ahaller2]
jtandy: adoption rate of sensor api in OGC is still minimal?
20:57:31 [SimonCox]
q+ to ask how does iot-lite relate to ssn skeleton?
20:57:44 [ahaller2]
ScottSimmons: yes, it is still in research stage use
20:57:46 [SimonCox]
q+ to ask where are the observation results (values) found in iot-lite?
20:57:58 [ahaller2]
... some github players, but not yet wide adoption
20:58:02 [kerry]
20:58:36 [ahaller2]
SimonCox: What is the relation with ssn skeleton and where is the value in the observation?
20:59:30 [ahaller2]
kerry: it has not been aligned to SSN yet.
20:59:39 [ahaller2]
SimonCox: It is somehow a parallel work to SSN?
21:00:00 [ahaller2]
kerry: kind of, this should have a strong mapping to SSN, though.
21:00:40 [ahaller2]
kerry: this is a metadata description and the value is delivered through an API attached to the service
21:00:54 [ahaller2]
... this is appropriate in IoT world
21:00:59 [SimonCox]
SSN skeleton should provide high level view of how the moving parts are related to each other, without going into detail about 'content' of any of the classes.
21:01:28 [kerry]
21:01:35 [kerry]
ack SimonCox
21:01:35 [Zakim]
SimonCox, you wanted to ask how does iot-lite relate to ssn skeleton? and to ask where are the observation results (values) found in iot-lite?
21:02:13 [SimonCox]
(Sorry - still haven't got the hang of zakim, so was a bit repetitive here).
21:02:20 [ahaller2]
kerry: editors, please get in touch with people who want to participate in the subgroup
21:02:31 [AndreaPerego]
Thanks, and bye!
21:02:35 [RaulGarciaCastro]
21:02:35 [billroberts]
thanks all - bye
21:02:36 [eparsons]
bye !!
21:02:38 [ahaller2]
21:02:39 [kerry]
21:02:45 [kerry]
rrsagent, draft minutes
21:02:45 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate kerry
21:03:05 [kerry]
regrets+ phila
21:03:11 [ChrisLittle]
21:03:16 [kerry]
rrsagent, draft minutes
21:03:16 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate kerry
21:13:40 [ahaller2]
ahaller2 has joined #sdw
21:35:25 [billroberts]
billroberts has joined #sdw
22:04:02 [ahaller2]
ahaller2 has joined #sdw
23:22:52 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #sdw