IRC log of coga on 2015-11-30

Timestamps are in UTC.

16:16:59 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #coga
16:16:59 [RRSAgent]
logging to
16:17:12 [Lisa_Seeman]
regrets: EA, Ayelet Seeman
16:46:38 [chaals]
chaals has joined #coga
16:56:47 [JohnRochford]
JohnRochford has joined #coga
17:00:21 [Lisa_Seeman]
agenda: this
17:00:22 [Lisa_Seeman]
agenda+ review actions, and new timelines
17:00:24 [Lisa_Seeman]
agenda+ gap analysis table and or summary
17:00:25 [Lisa_Seeman]
agenda+ WCAG extension update
17:00:27 [Lisa_Seeman]
agenda+ Issue papers - GA
17:00:28 [Lisa_Seeman]
agenda+ Techniques - GA
17:00:30 [Lisa_Seeman]
agenda+ Next ftf ideas (TPAC and Katie suggestion)agenda+ Other issue papers
17:00:31 [Lisa_Seeman]
agenda+ be done
17:01:51 [maryjom]
maryjom has joined #coga
17:02:14 [Mike_Pluke]
Mike_Pluke has joined #coga
17:04:13 [Lisa_Seeman]
scribe: maryjom
17:04:42 [Lisa_Seeman]
next item:
17:06:11 [Lisa_Seeman]
zakim, next item
17:06:11 [Zakim]
agendum 9. "Suggested lang for wcag" taken up [from Lisa_Seeman]
17:06:43 [maryjom]
Ronaldo: New member. Looking into emotions.
17:07:06 [slim]
slim has joined #coga
17:07:16 [maryjom]
LS: Ronaldo will write issue paper on depression.
17:07:28 [janina]
present+ janina
17:07:54 [maryjom]
LS: People with dementia typically have depression and anxiety.
17:09:04 [Lisa_Seeman]
zakim, next item
17:09:04 [Zakim]
agendum 10. "Issue papers - GA" taken up [from Lisa_Seeman]
17:09:24 [maryjom]
LS: Will look into any issues and potential techniques in that area.
17:10:08 [richardschwerdtfeger]
richardschwerdtfeger has joined #coga
17:10:18 [maryjom]
LS: Typical techniques for people with dyslexia say to give encouragement.
17:10:47 [Tony_Doran]
Tony_Doran has joined #coga
17:11:08 [richardschwerdtfeger]
present+ Rich_Schwerdtfeger
17:11:32 [maryjom]
Ronaldo: Issue paper will focus on depression and anxiety in general, not only for people with dementia but generally people who have depression and/or anxiety.
17:13:01 [Lisa_Seeman]
17:13:14 [maryjom]
LS: The above link is to the updated schedule.
17:14:44 [maryjom]
LS: Next deadline is 28 January to freeze the content of the Gap Analysis to go into a working draft.
17:17:01 [Lisa_Seeman]
17:17:05 [maryjom]
LS: Went over the list of dates in the Current Schedules page.
17:17:08 [Lisa_Seeman]
zakim, next item
17:17:08 [Zakim]
agendum 11. "Techniques - GA" taken up [from Lisa_Seeman]
17:18:54 [Lisa_Seeman]
action: lisa to followup on MJ access to github
17:18:54 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-146 - Followup on mj access to github [on Lisa Seeman - due 2015-12-07].
17:22:47 [maryjom]
RS: We need a table for the gap analysis. To know what standards we need to fill in the gaps
17:23:04 [maryjom]
RS: It could be done in the form of a roadmap
17:23:39 [maryjom]
RS: Like in ARIA 1.0 we had a roadmap to educate the industry on what is needed and why.
17:25:27 [maryjom]
Janina: We should keep the table and do a summary like around what the media accessibility did. Helps people understand what the issues are and how to address them.
17:25:44 [maryjom]
It needs an introduction to summarize what is in the issue papers so readers don't have to read all of the issue papers and then pointers to the issue papers if someone wants to read more.
17:26:50 [richardschwerdtfeger]
17:28:55 [maryjom]
RS: In ARIA we put a description of the problem. So we could have a high level description of cognitive disabilities and then more details about the gaps and what needs to be done to fill them.
17:29:53 [maryjom]
Janina: There are a lot of areas not covered and we want to take a systematic approach. Want to describe who benefits and how.
17:30:19 [janina]
17:30:59 [maryjom]
Janina: Michael and Shane are working on this media accessibility document. (link above).
17:31:40 [maryjom]
Janina: You need a starting point so readers can start to understand what the problems are.
17:32:08 [maryjom]
Janina: Then you can point to other places for readers to dig further for more detail.
17:33:12 [maryjom]
LS: Need volunteers to work on the summary.
17:33:42 [maryjom]
JR: Agreed to help out with the gap analysis summary.
17:33:46 [Lisa_Seeman]
Action: Lisa, Maryjo and john to work on gap analisis summary
17:33:46 [trackbot]
Error finding 'Lisa,'. You can review and register nicknames at <>.
17:33:53 [maryjom]
MM: Will help out too.
17:34:24 [maryjom]
RS: Will also help with the roadmap.
17:35:21 [maryjom]
JS: In the media accessibility the cognitive disability description doesn't mention comprehension or the different modes of delivery to help with comprehension.
17:36:37 [maryjom]
LS: When we had a discussion of the multimedia we had an example of using headers - which are visible in the video content and an ability to navigate to these specific headings in the video.
17:39:18 [maryjom]
JS: Asked John to send in comments today regarding coga issues in the media accessibility document so the team can determine how serious the issue may be and if it needs to be improved before it is published.
17:40:08 [maryjom]
JS: This may be authoring and user agent issues which are excluded from the media accessibility requirements. The focus of this document was what HTML5 needed to support that it has the right capabilities.
17:41:14 [maryjom]
JR: Was convinced no further updates are needed to the media accessibility doc.
17:41:36 [Lisa_Seeman]
17:44:12 [maryjom]
LS: The formatting of this table is still being improved. Should there be user stories/use cases added in here, or should there be potential solutions added in there?
17:46:35 [maryjom]
LS: The table also will have links to issue papers and discussions on that particular user need.
17:49:57 [maryjom]
JR: It would help for us to see a completed example or two in the table with a full row or two completed.
17:51:00 [Lisa_Seeman]
17:52:06 [Lisa_Seeman]
17:52:29 [Lisa_Seeman]
17:52:56 [maryjom]
LS: This isn't done yet, but would like team to look at the new success criteria. The comment was to make this more testable.
17:54:44 [maryjom]
LS: We added some exceptions to help out, and were more prescriptive to make the requirements more testable.
17:55:32 [maryjom]
LS: Would like team to take a look and see how the requirements were reworded.
17:59:31 [maryjom]
Janina: This looks good.
17:59:45 [maryjom]
Michael: Will have to look more in-depth.
18:00:56 [Tony_Doran]
I need to drop off, sorry.
18:01:32 [maryjom]
MC: Proposed requirements need to have levels (A, AA, or AAA)
18:01:56 [maryjom]
LS: Every level 3 heading is a new proposed SC.
18:03:07 [maryjom]
MC: These need to be worded in WCAG success criterion language.
18:03:36 [maryjom]
MP: These could be reworded fairly easily.
18:04:03 [maryjom]
MC: WCAG SC are really brief, so including a lot of bullets may cause an issue.
18:04:58 [maryjom]
LS: We can't split these up into a lot of success criteria, as our goal is to minimize how many are added.
18:06:39 [maryjom]
MC: In an extension we could add more success criteria, but we don't want to add too many so implementers won't think this will be too difficult to meet.
18:07:30 [maryjom]
MC: Will need better wording that aligns better with the WCAG guidelines.
18:10:23 [maryjom]
MC: We have to be careful about providing any type of writing style guide as it is difficult to internationalize. If you want to defer things to techniques you'll wind up with SC that are more straightforward.
18:11:15 [maryjom]
The things that you put in as SC should be the things that you absolutely must do.
18:12:19 [maryjom]
MC: You could put one of these SC in front of the working group to get better feedback on the structure and then apply to the rest of the document.
18:13:33 [maryjom]
LS: Let's send Clear Writing Style to the working group to see what they think.
18:16:01 [slim]
slim has joined #coga
18:16:21 [maryjom]
rrsagent, make minutes
18:16:21 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate maryjom
18:16:40 [maryjom]
zakim, bye
18:16:40 [Zakim]
leaving. As of this point the attendees have been janina, MichaelC, Lisa_Seeman, Mike_Pluke, Neil_Milliken, John_Rochford, Steve_Lee, Debbie_Dahl, E.A._Draffan, Tony_Doran,
18:16:40 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #coga
18:16:44 [Zakim]
... Chaohai_Ding, Rich_Schwerdtfeger
18:20:51 [richardschwerdtfeger]
RRSAgent, make log public
18:21:14 [MichaelC]
rrsagent, make minutes
18:21:14 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate MichaelC
18:21:22 [MichaelC]
meeting: COGA
18:21:24 [MichaelC]
chair: Lisa_Seeman
18:21:47 [richardschwerdtfeger]
RRSagent, make minutes
18:21:47 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate richardschwerdtfeger
18:22:00 [MichaelC]
present+ MichaelC, Mike_Pluke, Mary_Jo, John, Renaldo
18:22:20 [MichaelC]
rrsagent, make minutes
18:22:20 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate MichaelC
18:31:11 [richardschwerdtfeger]
richardschwerdtfeger has left #coga
19:22:06 [slim]
slim has joined #coga
21:02:31 [slim]
slim has joined #coga
22:48:33 [slim]
slim has joined #coga