IRC log of sdw on 2015-07-08

Timestamps are in UTC.

12:49:58 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #sdw
12:49:58 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2015/07/08-sdw-irc
12:50:00 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, make logs world
12:50:00 [Zakim]
Zakim has joined #sdw
12:50:02 [trackbot]
Zakim, this will be SDW
12:50:02 [Zakim]
I do not see a conference matching that name scheduled within the next hour, trackbot
12:50:03 [trackbot]
Meeting: Spatial Data on the Web Working Group Teleconference
12:50:03 [trackbot]
Date: 08 July 2015
12:51:09 [kerry]
present+ kerry
12:53:12 [kerry]
kerry has changed the topic to: https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/Meetings:Telecon20150708
12:54:46 [BartvanLeeuwen]
BartvanLeeuwen has joined #sdw
12:55:43 [Payam]
Payam has joined #sdw
12:59:10 [billroberts]
billroberts has joined #sdw
12:59:36 [Rachel]
Rachel has joined #sdw
12:59:59 [LarsG]
LarsG has joined #sdw
13:00:11 [LarsG]
present+ LarsG
13:00:13 [Frans]
Frans has joined #sdw
13:01:14 [Alejandro_Llaves]
Alejandro_Llaves has joined #sdw
13:01:42 [Alejandro_Llaves]
present+ Alejandro_Llaves
13:01:56 [Frans]
present+ Frans
13:02:21 [Rachel_]
Rachel_ has joined #sdw
13:02:31 [ClemensPortele]
ClemensPortele has joined #sdw
13:02:34 [BartvanLeeuwen]
present+ Bart van Leeuwen
13:02:38 [MattPerry]
MattPerry has joined #sdw
13:02:45 [ClemensPortele]
present+ ClemensPortele
13:02:47 [MattPerry]
present+ MattPerry
13:03:29 [AndreaPerego]
AndreaPerego has joined #sdw
13:03:38 [billroberts]
Hi Kerry - we were hearing you reasanably well, if a little quiet
13:03:44 [billroberts]
sounds like you couldn't hear anyone else though
13:04:29 [kerry]
i cant hear you much a t all
13:04:39 [kerry]
scribe volunteer please?
13:04:40 [Frans]
I can hear Kerry typing
13:05:22 [ChrisLittle]
ChrisLittle has joined #sdw
13:07:14 [ClemensPortele]
scribe: ClemensPortele
13:07:24 [AndreaPerego]
present+ AndreaPerego
13:07:50 [kerry]
scribenick: clemens
13:07:50 [ClemensPortele]
regrets+ Jeremy, Linda, Ed, Phil, Andreas, Simon, Stefan Lemme, Josh
13:08:06 [ClemensPortele]
regrets+ Jeremy
13:08:12 [ClemensPortele]
regrets+ Linda
13:08:17 [ClemensPortele]
regrets+ Ed
13:08:19 [kerry]
trackbit, start meeting
13:08:26 [ClemensPortele]
regrets+ Phil
13:08:30 [kerry]
trackbot, start meeting
13:08:31 [ClemensPortele]
regrets+ Andreas
13:08:32 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, make logs world
13:08:34 [trackbot]
Zakim, this will be SDW
13:08:34 [Zakim]
I do not see a conference matching that name scheduled within the next hour, trackbot
13:08:35 [trackbot]
Meeting: Spatial Data on the Web Working Group Teleconference
13:08:35 [trackbot]
Date: 08 July 2015
13:08:40 [ClemensPortele]
regrets+ Simon
13:08:47 [ClemensPortele]
regrets+ Stefan Lemme
13:08:50 [cory]
cory has joined #sdw
13:08:54 [ClemensPortele]
regrets+ Josh
13:09:02 [cory]
present+ cory
13:09:22 [kerry]
topic: requirements issue-12
13:09:36 [ChrisLittle]
* Clemens, could you mute while typing please
13:09:36 [Frans]
Lots of background noise!
13:09:54 [Alejandro_Llaves]
http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/issues/12
13:09:54 [BartvanLeeuwen]
kerry, could you mute yourself ?
13:09:55 [ClemensPortele]
Chris, I am muted locally
13:10:11 [ClemensPortele]
Alejandro_Llaves: issue 12 from Barcelona
13:10:47 [kerry]
q?
13:10:50 [ClemensPortele]
Alejandro_Llaves: for now excluded as considered out-of-scope, but we have the issue still open
13:11:04 [kerry]
q?
13:11:20 [kerry]
q+
13:11:29 [ClemensPortele]
Alejandro_Llaves: for discussion at f2f meeting, but does not seem important for use cases
13:11:36 [kerry]
ack kerry
13:11:38 [ClemensPortele]
Alejandro_Llaves: comments anyone?
13:12:43 [ChrisLittle]
* clemens apologies
13:13:35 [ClemensPortele]
kerry: maybe not covered by a use case, but seems to be a requirement from IoT community
13:14:03 [ClemensPortele]
kerry: suggestion to close the issue for now, but add an action to discuss this with them later
13:14:44 [kerry]
q?
13:15:17 [Alejandro_Llaves]
+1
13:15:30 [kerry]
action: kerry to keep in contact with WoT re actuation
13:15:31 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-58 - Keep in contact with wot re actuation [on Kerry Taylor - due 2015-07-15].
13:15:52 [ClemensPortele]
ACTION: Alejandro_Llaves to close issue-12
13:15:52 [trackbot]
Error finding 'Alejandro_Llaves'. You can review and register nicknames at <http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/users>.
13:16:11 [Alejandro_Llaves]
close issue 12
13:16:17 [kerry]
topic: best practice designissues
13:16:20 [Alejandro_Llaves]
close: issue-12
13:16:26 [Alejandro_Llaves]
:(
13:17:46 [Payam]
A good sample for best practice: http://w3c.github.io/dwbp/bp.html
13:17:53 [kerry]
https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/Meetings:Telecon20150708
13:18:11 [kerry]
Are we focussing on "linked data" -- can we use JSON-LD as out primary encoding for each BP, then supplement where necessary?
13:19:08 [ClemensPortele]
kerry: Jeremy was keen on using JSON-LD in BPs
13:19:51 [BartvanLeeuwen]
+1
13:19:56 [ClemensPortele]
Payam: Editors want to avoid the "usual" basics (have metadata, etc); just reference this as a basis
13:20:08 [kerry]
+1
13:20:12 [ClemensPortele]
Payam: Editors do not want a tutorial
13:20:40 [ClemensPortele]
Payam: But be clear about things to avoid
13:21:14 [kerry]
q?
13:21:23 [AndreaPerego]
q+
13:21:40 [LarsG]
+1 to technology independence
13:21:50 [ClemensPortele]
Payam: Idea is to use JSON-LD (and other formats) in examples, but be clear that this is just an example
13:22:13 [Frans]
q+
13:22:38 [ChrisLittle]
+1 to technology independence
13:22:59 [ChrisLittle]
+1 to things to avoid as well as BP
13:23:27 [ClemensPortele]
Payam: Approach will be to go requirements and try to group them
13:23:34 [AndreaPerego]
I think that what we mean with "technology independence" needs to be clarified.
13:23:52 [ClemensPortele]
Payam: Editors will work on a proposal and present it to the group
13:24:10 [kerry]
q?
13:24:44 [ClemensPortele]
Payam: Plan is to have a draft available for f2f meeting
13:24:50 [kerry]
ack andreas
13:24:52 [billroberts]
I think using JSON-LD for examples is a good idea. Reasonably readable and the JSON bit will be familiar to many non-lD people
13:25:01 [kerry]
ack andra
13:25:30 [kerry]
ack andrea
13:26:25 [ClemensPortele]
AndreaPerego: regarding referencing vs repeating - we need to be careful; is referencing general (we inherit all of Data on the Web BP) or are we specific with references
13:27:22 [ClemensPortele]
AndreaPerego: "technology independence" - what do we mean by this? the web is a platform that has its own technologies
13:28:20 [ClemensPortele]
Payam: agrees, document should also be self-sufficient, but should not go into detail with content included in Data on the Web BP
13:29:08 [ClemensPortele]
+1 on make references specific (to be clear which requriements or BPs are meant)
13:29:41 [ClemensPortele]
kerry: agrees on being technical, but no making the BP a tutorial
13:29:45 [kerry]
ack frans
13:30:07 [Frans]
The scope of the Spatial Data on the Web Working Group, SDWWG, is Web technologies as they may be applied to location. Where relevant, it will promote Linked Data using the 5 Stars of Linked Data paradigm, but this will not be to the exclusion of other technologies.
13:30:17 [AndreaPerego]
s/requriements/requirements/
13:30:42 [BartvanLeeuwen]
q+
13:30:53 [ClemensPortele]
Frans: points out the statement in the charter; does everyone agree with this or is a change necessary
13:31:10 [AndreaPerego]
No change needed, IMO.
13:31:12 [ClemensPortele]
Payam: sees the approach discussed consistent with the charter
13:31:31 [ClemensPortele]
+1 for no change needed
13:32:13 [kerry]
+1 I think we "assume" as frans suggested
13:32:40 [ClemensPortele]
Frans: do we assume linked data to be the best practice or are we looking at each UC/Req?
13:33:15 [kerry]
q?
13:33:59 [ClemensPortele]
Payam: In many cases linked data is one approach, but others are (equally) valid as well
13:34:04 [kerry]
ack Bart
13:34:36 [ClemensPortele]
... discussion about "best practice" (singular) vs "best practices" (plural)
13:35:13 [ahaller2]
ahaller2 has joined #sdw
13:35:16 [ClemensPortele]
BartvanLeeuwen: Data on the Web had a similar discussion
13:35:43 [AndreaPerego]
q+
13:36:18 [ClemensPortele]
BartvanLeeuwen: Approach there is linked data is included in the scope, but not the exclusive approach
13:36:38 [kerry]
q?
13:36:49 [ClemensPortele]
kerry: suggests to discuss this when we have a concrete BP example
13:37:20 [billroberts]
present+ billroberts
13:37:24 [billroberts]
(sorry forgot before)
13:37:58 [billroberts]
+1 agree easier to comment and refine when we can discuss a concrete first draft
13:38:12 [ClemensPortele]
Payam: idea was to not assume a certain technology to be the best practice for all use cases
13:39:33 [AndreaPerego]
I would say a certain "Web" technology
13:39:47 [AndreaPerego]
q+
13:40:02 [kerry]
ack andrea
13:40:33 [billroberts]
I liked Jeremy's explanation of the publishers and consumers relationship
13:41:25 [ClemensPortele]
AndreaPerego: the web should be the basis (not linked data as such), this is the minimal requirement
13:41:36 [kerry]
agree we must use uris and also we must link!
13:42:44 [ClemensPortele]
Payam: agrees with Andrea
13:43:30 [Payam]
http://w3c.github.io/dwbp/bp.html
13:43:56 [ClemensPortele]
kerry: agrees with Jeremy's proposal to use the DWBP as a template, but extend to cover both publisher/consumer perspectives
13:44:06 [Frans]
q+
13:44:25 [kerry]
ack frans
13:45:33 [kerry]
q?
13:45:49 [ClemensPortele]
Frans: publishers may also have their own requirements beyond the consumer requirements
13:47:03 [Frans]
q+
13:47:09 [BartvanLeeuwen]
+1
13:47:17 [ClemensPortele]
kerry: should we ask editors to use the "template" and create an example?
13:47:24 [kerry]
ack frans
13:47:32 [AndreaPerego]
+1
13:48:35 [ClemensPortele]
Frans: a good idea; maybe from the metadata ones?
13:48:54 [AndreaPerego]
+1 to metadata
13:49:19 [billroberts]
I hear a bit of background noise from somewhere but no speaking (except for Kerry)
13:50:24 [Frans]
Good idea to make suggestions on the list
13:50:33 [ClemensPortele]
kerry: please make suggestions on the list where to start
13:51:06 [ClemensPortele]
Payam: editors will work on the grouping
13:51:22 [ClemensPortele]
kerry: maybe do both (grouping, example) in parallel
13:51:33 [Frans]
I like the idea of picking one BP requirement as an example
13:51:43 [kerry]
topic: approve the minutes
13:51:50 [Payam]
+1
13:52:00 [billroberts]
(missed last week's call so can't vote)
13:52:01 [AndreaPerego]
http://www.w3.org/2015/07/01-sdw-minutes
13:52:03 [Frans]
Kerry, you also did not do the patent call
13:52:04 [Alejandro_Llaves]
+1
13:52:05 [ChrisLittle]
+1 minutes
13:52:08 [MattPerry]
+1
13:52:15 [kerry]
http://www.w3.org/2015/07/01-sdw-minutes.html
13:52:15 [AndreaPerego]
I was not there
13:52:16 [cory]
+1
13:52:23 [kerry]
+1
13:52:30 [LarsG]
+1
13:52:33 [MattPerry]
+1
13:52:54 [ClemensPortele]
topic: W3C and OGC patent calls
13:52:57 [Frans]
I have not read the minutes entirely yet
13:53:19 [kerry]
topic: Sapporo
13:53:44 [ClemensPortele]
kerry: reminder to register for TPAC
13:54:20 [ClemensPortele]
kerry: idea is to finalise 1st working draft BP
13:54:32 [ClemensPortele]
kerry: start work on ontologies
13:55:09 [ChrisLittle_]
ChrisLittle_ has joined #SDW
13:55:20 [ChrisLittle_]
ChrisLittle_ has left #sdw
13:55:54 [ClemensPortele]
kerry: status at OGC?
13:56:22 [ClemensPortele]
ClemensPortele: email vote started (low turnout in OGC DWG telecon)
13:56:27 [kerry]
q?
13:56:32 [ClemensPortele]
topic: AOB?
13:56:54 [ChrisLittle]
Bye and Thank you
13:56:55 [Alejandro_Llaves]
thanks, bye!
13:56:56 [AndreaPerego]
Thanks and bye!
13:56:58 [billroberts]
ok, thanks very much, bye!
13:57:01 [ClemensPortele]
bye
13:57:03 [MattPerry]
bye
13:57:10 [Payam]
bye
13:57:15 [Frans]
have a good week
13:57:20 [kerry]
rrsagent, draft minute
13:57:20 [RRSAgent]
I'm logging. I don't understand 'draft minute', kerry. Try /msg RRSAgent help
13:57:36 [kerry]
rrsagent, draft minutes
13:57:36 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2015/07/08-sdw-minutes.html kerry
13:57:36 [AndreaPerego]
rsagent, draft minutes
13:57:46 [AndreaPerego]
rrsagent, draft minutes
13:57:46 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2015/07/08-sdw-minutes.html AndreaPerego
13:58:58 [AndreaPerego]
RRSAgent, make logs world
13:59:10 [kerry]
thanks everyone, bye
13:59:23 [AndreaPerego]
Bye again, Kerry, and thanks!
13:59:51 [AndreaPerego]
&quit
14:15:32 [kerry]
trackbot, bye
14:15:32 [trackbot]
trackbot has left #sdw
14:22:30 [Payam]
Payam has joined #sdw
14:33:19 [chaals]
chaals has joined #sdw
15:01:13 [ahaller2]
ahaller2 has joined #sdw
15:26:39 [Payam]
Payam has joined #sdw
15:59:37 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #sdw
16:11:22 [ahaller2]
ahaller2 has joined #sdw
17:12:29 [ahaller2]
ahaller2 has joined #sdw
17:15:29 [chaals]
chaals has joined #sdw
18:13:15 [ahaller2]
ahaller2 has joined #sdw
19:13:59 [ahaller2]
ahaller2 has joined #sdw
20:14:47 [ahaller2]
ahaller2 has joined #sdw
21:15:29 [ahaller2]
ahaller2 has joined #sdw
22:16:14 [ahaller2]
ahaller2 has joined #sdw