Protocols and Formats Working Group Teleconference

24 Jun 2015

See also: IRC log


Janina, Joanmarie_Diggs, Tzviya_Siegman, Rich_Schwerdtfeger


<trackbot> Date: 24 June 2015

<janina> chair+ Janina

preview agenda with items from two minutes

<scribe> Scribe: JF


JS: around the table - any comments questions?

guest on call is George Kerscher

cyns: conversation around webapps and HTML re-chartering (etc.)

notes an incubator group - thinking about moving WAPA work into that GIT repository

good to have a11y join early - "founding member"

JS: ... need to look at what else needs to be moved over there

cyns: believe that is the reason for the incubator group

RS; suggest waiting a bit, until dust settles - notes large discussion around naming and other bikeshed activities

cyns: sees the opportunity to get in on the ground floor

RS: is there any indication of when this lands as something concrete

JS: HTML charter expires next week - anticipates a minor extension while this shakes out

ARIA.Next Items; D-Pub Roles FPWD

JS; looking specifically at the D-Pub Roles FPWD

JS: believe all of the issues noted last April have been addressed

Out for CfC now -

if all on call are good, wish to record PF support

JS: CfC is open until Sunday

decision will likely be made on Monday of next week

RS; wants to thank the group for dealing with a number of issues - BRAVO!

JS +1

GK: D-Pub folks appear to be happy with this

notice will go out to D-Pub mailing list as well

JS: want to now move to describedat discussion

RS: are we looking for a forma vote on the D-Pub/ARIA stuff?

JS: any objections to CfrC

RESOLUTION: PFWG supports the FPWD of ARIA Digital Publishing

JS: turning to describedat

some believe that we may use annotations instead

may look at that, given strong pushback on describedat from some corners

RS: what is clear is that we need a direct response from publishers - that this is what they need and they will be using it (commitment)
... give until mid-August for those signals - need multiple publishers to respond

if no movement, then it will drop from spec

JS: looking for emails, or looking for participation on an ARIA call?

RS: yes, both

JS: To re-state - Apple claims to have spoken to publishers, asking them what they need. Apparently those publishers replied that they are being told they need this.

Tzviya: we talked about this on the digital publish call - plan is to send out a note explaining the issue

<tzviya> http://www.w3.org/blog/dpub/2015/06/23/dpub-ig-telco-2015-06-22-aria-stem-survey-css-web-publications/

Gist of message is: most publishers are just beginning to embrace accessibility, and all that it offers

so, for example, when a publisher goes to Benetech and delivers books, and Benetech explains "you need this", the publishers don't really know/understand the issue

so, anticipate seeing a note from our group shortly

RS: trying to anticipate how publishers will be using this. Anticipate strong push-back still

tzviya: so you want publishers (Random House, etc.) to come to an ARIA meeting and talk about this

RS: will be on vacation for part of this time - want to give the publishers enough run-way to prep for this

GK: here are my concerns

publishers may be required to provide more information in their mainstream product than they are used to

for example, WebGL or Canvas - contracts will require them to make the work accessible

tzviya: the fact that it can be used on any element is huge

(discussion around getting other publishers involved)

JS: thanks to the D-Pub folks for joining the call

preview agenda with items from two minutes

Actions Review (Specs) http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/Group/track/actions/open

JN: two actions on me, need to get on them

new on TR http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html

MC: DOM 4 Last CAll - we looked at this previously - question around process on this

<MichaelC> DOM 4

JS: believe that Shane reviewed - nothing for us to be concerned about

Community Groups http://www.w3.org/community/groups/

<MichaelC> Web Background Sync Community Group

<MichaelC> HTML5 Korean Community Group

JS: hoping to develop outreach at TPAC

cyns: wondering if W3C has translation resources for this kind of outreach

JS: suspect this will be developed in the WAI CG that Judy is working on

JF: asked about whether multi-language support could grow?

MC: complex - it has been discussed but nothing firm

JS: there are formal translations of W3C Recommendations

MC: right, but those translations are not directly funded by W3C - is volunteered under a process

Rechartering Continued

MC: hoping to see something shortly

appears we are extended to July 31st, notice to go out along with new charter package proposal

JS: should have no impact on publishing plans

MC: may have a minor impact on August publishing, but nothing urgent in the queue

TPAC 2013 Update

<MichaelC> Meeting Page notes for ARIA

JS: waiting for re-chartering discussions before we can sign-on for attendance.

<MichaelC> Meeting Page notes for APA

wiki pages have been established

pages now need content / ideas / topics

cyns: can we add things to those pages, other ideas (i.e. want to discuss moving WAPA, etc.)

MC: note that under the APA page

JS: there is a lot of change, and ownership changes - we will want to ensure this is all covered, ensuring that APA continues to perform the overview
... notes that next week there are 2 major holidays - Canada (July 1) and USA (July 4th) - not sure of impact on meetings next week

Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.140 (CVS log)
$Date: 2015/06/24 17:01:47 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.140  of Date: 2014-11-06 18:16:30  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/agneda/agenda/
Succeeded: s/Kershner/Kerscher/
Succeeded: s/action son/actions on/
Found Scribe: JF
Inferring ScribeNick: JF
Present: Janina Joanmarie_Diggs Tzviya_Siegman Rich_Schwerdtfeger

WARNING: No meeting chair found!
You should specify the meeting chair like this:
<dbooth> Chair: dbooth

Found Date: 24 Jun 2015
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2015/06/24-pf-minutes.html
People with action items: 

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]