W3C

- DRAFT -

Independent User Interface Task Force Teleconference

18 Mar 2015

Agenda

See also: IRC log

Attendees

Present
Janina, Rich_Schwerdtfeger, Joanmarie_Diggs, Michael_Cooper, Katie, +1.609.759.aaaa, Jason_White, Andy_Heath, kurosawa, jcraig, +1.609.906.aabb
Regrets
Chair
Janina_Sajka
Scribe
MichaelC

Contents


<trackbot> Date: 18 March 2015

<scribe> scribe: MichaelC

preview agenda with items from two minutes

jw: favorable comments at CSUN towards personalization; rs: general industry favor

WBS on IndieUI Rechartering https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/54997/201503_planning/

<andy> how can I unmute me

<andy> +Andy

== on previous topic ==

rs: greater focus on cognitive and learning

now that issues surfacing, excitement

will have collisions between needs of different users

personalization is the only way to resolve

can´t have 1-size-fits-all solutions

this is not new in the Mobile space

khs: 503 regulation from Labor will require federal contractors to have 7% PWD

depends on self identification, which depends on no negative repercussions

ah: asked to write paper on IndieUI and future of Web for a spanish journal

anybody want to join?

js: would offer feedback

jgw: same

ah: could use help writing the Event model half

js: also note, need to sort out JGW GitHub access

== now here for reals ==

js: please complete the survey

Future of the IndieUI WG & TF -- Janina

js: IndieUI WG charter expires 30 April

management has changed procedure and won´t issue extensions unless super-good reason

if this isn´t sorted by the time of expiry, we can´t publish, and people can´t join

the survey above explores options

including moving portions of our specs to other places

seems general support for that

but less clear what we should do with the portions not taken up by other groups

we also might ask how other groups would prioritize things

maybe some work would get taken up quickly but other slowly, when we would want it to go more quickly

jc: IndieUI was first proposed as part of HTML or CSS or WebApps

all the drafts specifically mentioned we hoped the features would be picked up by those specs

in particular some media features fit well with CSS media

one reason User Context was separate because there is no security model for CSS media features

CSS WG has since identified that´s something they need to work on

so I think it desirable to work on there

rs: would like a TF between PF and CSS to deliver the features

don´t care specifics of e.g., media queries

but do want to make sure features will get taken up

e.g., some schema.org features haven´t yet been implemented

what else has CSS picked up?

jc: doesn´t happen overnight

<janina> I've lost audio

font size in queue

user @@

contrast settings

<janina> Working on it

user color

as media feature and css variable

so all the first section until subtitle stuff

subtitle-language key is first that doesn´t fit in

that should be a javascript API, not a CSS media feature

but some others about color and audio description are on the table

rs: so it´s all over the place

can´t point to a single place

jc: most will fit into CSS

but critical waiting on security model

rs: we need a WAI task force to coordinate getting these features with other groups

jc: TF instead of just email list?

rs: need to coordinate across multiple entities

jc: we should work on CSS stuff within CSS WG

the security model is the only reason we needed a separate spec

rs: take flexbox - there has been a long discussion in the WG about an approach that might not work there

we need something that won´t cost lots of cycles

jc: everybody has other responsibilities

having a task force to talk about making it happen doesn´t make it happen

need dedicated individuals involved in the work

rs: but need coordination

more than just writing spec text

work with product teams

coord across areas of interest

so for instance, PF and SVG joint task force is leading to things happening

jc: monochrome CSS existed a long time but wasn´t implemented until recently

but still, seeing the progress

this tied to the major operating systems

it took having this within the CSS WG to make it happen

I would rather focus my efforts there where it´s working

rather than spend energy where it isn´t

rs: worried about a piecemeal approach to features

want a more strategic plan

it takes more than just people in the WGs

need people working on examples

putting in toolkits

demonstrating to UA vendors that people will use it

so need a TF

part of the TF is to make sure there are people are in those groups

don´t think we need our own group, just the TF for coordination

js: @@

requires getting spec written and done in a manner we can promote

rs: we could have a focus group work on e.g., epub

but if they then have to work with CSS...

we´re broadening the points we have to get consensus from

so do we have to join the CSS WG? form sub-teams?

don´t want to wait 3 - 4 years

jc: never done a CSS WG call

met them at TPAC

and worked via email

balance between persistence and providing a good solution

not being so persistent you nag and get sidelined

rs: what if you´re willing to write that portion of the spec?

jc: their editors have been doing it

I didn´t write spec language, but gave substantial details

their editors worked in

rs: so CSS limits editors?

jc: I didn´t ask for editor status

don´t have time

and have been able to get my feature requests attended by the current set of editors

Schema.org Mappings -- Rich & Andy

js: this discussion underlines the importance of completing the WBS

===

<richardschwerdtfeger> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pb92piOlud5sXQadXYnbmtp9LCut26gv8ku-qqZTwec/edit#gid=0

rs: you all know what schema.org is right?

we want to provide preferences that map to schema.org metadata

could use for search

harmonize vocabulary for determining content with that used by search engine providers

have mapped preference data to this

basically we want interoperable content that supports AAPI

interoperability settings category shows how this is achieved

don´t have a clear answer on whether this should also drive search

ARIA for example can be used for more than just screen readers

voice input

search engines

these values came out of schema.org

js: in early Feb we agreed we want search

rs: a platform could easily provide this to application

have not decided whether it should fall under security model

should it be user-accessibility-api?

khs: the schema.org setting?

rs: yes - i.e., only provide to a site if security model permits

js: some media features are exposed by default because no concerns about PII

but things about AT use are too personal to expose by default

subtitles is in between, so needs case by case setting

rs: think anything with user- controlled by security features?

jc: not necessarily

is to differentiate from author-provided settings

rs: anyways, should it go under a security model?

ah: yes

rs: should put user- prefix?

jc: a lot won´t understand what that means

even if schema.org defined a certain way, may not map in the same way to CSS

but that´s ok

rs: as long as mapping exists, ok with name change

so change name, or note need better name?

<jcraig> afk

<jcraig> back

<richardschwerdtfeger> https://www.w3.org/wiki/WebSchemas/Accessibility#accessibilityFeature_in_detail

<richardschwerdtfeger> flashing

<richardschwerdtfeger> noFlashingHazard

<richardschwerdtfeger> motionSimulation

<richardschwerdtfeger> noMotionSimulationHazard

<richardschwerdtfeger> sound

<richardschwerdtfeger> noSoundHazard

<jcraig> ACTION-92

<trackbot> ACTION-92 -- James Craig to Reference http://www.webaxe.org/vestibular-issues-parallax-design/ as justification for reduce motion setting -- due 2014-09-28 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/IndieUI/track/actions/92

<jcraig> iOS API: UIKIT_EXTERN BOOL UIAccessibilityIsReduceMotionEnabled() NS_AVAILABLE_IOS(8_0);

<jcraig> UIKIT_EXTERN NSString *const UIAccessibilityReduceMotionStatusDidChangeNotification NS_AVAILABLE_IOS(8_0);

<jcraig> proposed to CSS as "prefers-reduced-motion"

Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.140 (CVS log)
$Date: 2015-03-18 22:02:38 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.140  of Date: 2014-11-06 18:16:30  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/nothing/jw: favorable comments at CSUN towards personalization; rs: general industry favor/
Succeeded: s/you/rs: you/
Found Scribe: MichaelC
Inferring ScribeNick: MichaelC
Default Present: Janina, Rich_Schwerdtfeger, Joanmarie_Diggs, Michael_Cooper, Katie, +1.609.759.aaaa, Jason_White, Andy_Heath, kurosawa, jcraig, +1.609.906.aabb
Present: Janina Rich_Schwerdtfeger Joanmarie_Diggs Michael_Cooper Katie +1.609.759.aaaa Jason_White Andy_Heath kurosawa jcraig +1.609.906.aabb
Agenda: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-indie-ui/2015Mar/0007.html
Found Date: 18 Mar 2015
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2015/03/18-indie-ui-minutes.html
People with action items: 

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.


[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]