IRC log of i18n on 2015-02-26

Timestamps are in UTC.

14:59:02 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #i18n
14:59:02 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2015/02/26-i18n-irc
14:59:06 [Zakim]
Zakim has joined #i18n
14:59:13 [aphillip]
trackbot, prepare teleconference
14:59:15 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, make logs world
14:59:17 [trackbot]
Zakim, this will be 4186
14:59:18 [aphillip]
Agenda: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2015Feb/0022.html
14:59:18 [Zakim]
ok, trackbot; I see I18N_WG()10:00AM scheduled to start in 1 minute
14:59:18 [trackbot]
Meeting: Internationalization Working Group Teleconference
14:59:18 [trackbot]
Date: 26 February 2015
14:59:22 [aphillip]
Chair: Addison Phillips
14:59:26 [aphillip]
ScribeNick: aphillip
14:59:30 [aphillip]
Scribe: Addison Phillips
14:59:43 [aphillip]
Regrets+ Dennis
14:59:54 [aphillip]
Regrets+ Dennis
15:00:00 [aphillip]
rrsagent, draft minutes
15:00:00 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2015/02/26-i18n-minutes.html aphillip
15:00:12 [aphillip]
agenda+ RADAR and Active Work Review
15:00:21 [aphillip]
agenda+ Chairs list process discussion
15:00:33 [aphillip]
agenda+ Charmod-Norm
15:00:43 [aphillip]
agenda+ Predefined (?) Counter Styles Name
15:00:54 [aphillip]
agenda+ ISSUE 394: XSLT bug resolution
15:01:04 [aphillip]
agenda+ appmanifest Review
15:01:09 [aphillip]
agenda+ WebVTT review
15:01:46 [Zakim]
I18N_WG()10:00AM has now started
15:01:54 [Zakim]
+aphillip
15:02:03 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2015/02/26-i18n-minutes.html aphillip
15:02:33 [r12a]
zakim, dial richard
15:02:33 [Zakim]
ok, r12a; the call is being made
15:02:34 [Zakim]
+Richard
15:05:38 [matial]
matial has joined #i18n
15:06:41 [aphillip]
zakim, who is here?
15:06:41 [Zakim]
On the phone I see aphillip, Richard
15:06:43 [Zakim]
On IRC I see matial, Zakim, RRSAgent, aphillip, r12a, fantasai, koji, trackbot
15:06:45 [JcK]
JcK has joined #i18n
15:07:08 [aphillip]
agenda?
15:07:28 [Zakim]
+JcK
15:08:43 [aphillip]
Topic: Agenda
15:08:48 [aphillip]
Topic: Action Items
15:08:49 [Zakim]
+??P14
15:09:06 [matial]
zakim, ??p14 is me
15:09:06 [Zakim]
+matial; got it
15:09:14 [aphillip]
http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open
15:12:28 [aphillip]
close action-403
15:12:28 [trackbot]
Closed action-403.
15:13:05 [aphillip]
close action-405
15:13:05 [trackbot]
Closed action-405.
15:13:49 [aphillip]
close action-406
15:13:49 [trackbot]
Closed action-406.
15:14:05 [aphillip]
close action-407
15:14:05 [trackbot]
Closed action-407.
15:14:26 [aphillip]
close action-408
15:14:26 [trackbot]
Closed action-408.
15:14:39 [aphillip]
close action-409
15:14:39 [trackbot]
Closed action-409.
15:14:45 [aphillip]
Topic: Info Share
15:15:07 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2015/02/26-i18n-minutes.html aphillip
15:15:14 [r12a]
https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Bp_spec_bidi
15:15:24 [aphillip]
richard: talked about above wiki page
15:15:37 [aphillip]
... have a list of do/don't for spec writers
15:15:54 [aphillip]
... worked on above
15:16:11 [aphillip]
... reviewing webvtt was helpful in updating
15:17:28 [aphillip]
richard: techniques document is where this might go
15:17:30 [r12a]
http://www.w3.org/International/techniques/developing-specs-dynamic
15:19:21 [aphillip]
addison: bring sections of that for review here?
15:19:34 [aphillip]
richard: also good to ensure that every review's items get harvested here
15:20:50 [aphillip]
agenda?
15:21:02 [aphillip]
zakim, take up agendum 1
15:21:02 [Zakim]
agendum 1. "RADAR and Active Work Review" taken up [from aphillip]
15:21:23 [aphillip]
https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Review_radar
15:22:24 [aphillip]
https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Project_radar
15:23:31 [aphillip]
richard: move the spec checklist under 1.2
15:23:34 [aphillip]
addison: okay
15:24:22 [aphillip]
richard: over time the spec checklist will subsume all of the other documents :-)
15:24:27 [matial_]
matial_ has joined #i18n
15:24:35 [aphillip]
agenda?
15:25:11 [r12a]
s/subsume/bring together guidelines from and link out to/
15:25:27 [aphillip]
zakim, take up agendum 2
15:25:27 [Zakim]
agendum 2. "Chairs list process discussion" taken up [from aphillip]
15:26:30 [aphillip]
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/chairs/2015JanMar/0085.html
15:26:39 [aphillip]
https://www.w3.org/wiki/DocumentReview#Horizontal_Groups
15:27:47 [aphillip]
addison: above is voluntary, suggest that we are looking for a mandatory process step
15:34:34 [aphillip]
agenda?
15:36:25 [aphillip]
zakim, take up agendum 4
15:36:25 [Zakim]
agendum 4. "Predefined (?) Counter Styles Name" taken up [from aphillip]
15:39:40 [aphillip]
agenda?
15:40:10 [aphillip]
zakim, take up agendum 5
15:40:10 [Zakim]
agendum 5. "ISSUE 394: XSLT bug resolution" taken up [from aphillip]
15:40:14 [aphillip]
issue-394?
15:40:14 [trackbot]
issue-394 -- decimal-format reference CLDR? -- open
15:40:14 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/394
15:40:40 [aphillip]
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-core/2015JanMar/0038.html
15:45:16 [aphillip]
richard: would like it "noted" that we made this comment. not satisfied but won't stop you
15:45:53 [aphillip]
action: addison: write back to QT asking for issue-394 to be "noted"
15:45:53 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-410 - Write back to qt asking for issue-394 to be "noted" [on Addison Phillips - due 2015-03-05].
15:45:59 [aphillip]
agenda?
15:47:01 [aphillip]
zakim, take up agendum 7
15:47:01 [Zakim]
agendum 7. "WebVTT review" taken up [from aphillip]
15:47:07 [aphillip]
http://www.w3.org/International/track/products/73
15:48:01 [aphillip]
issue-418?
15:48:01 [trackbot]
issue-418 -- observation: line wrapping, line balancing ⓟ -- open
15:48:01 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/418
15:48:17 [aphillip]
http://www.w3.org/TR/2014/WD-webvtt1-20141113/
15:48:25 [aphillip]
http://www.w3.org/TR/webvtt1/#cues-with-multiple-lines
15:50:26 [aphillip]
richard: see in section 6 later?
15:50:44 [aphillip]
... don't think you can set css properties for line wrapping
15:50:48 [aphillip]
... didn't see it
15:50:58 [aphillip]
... they are pretty specific about which css properties you can set
15:51:03 [aphillip]
... don't think that's one
15:51:29 [aphillip]
addison: keep our eyes on this, add line wrapping properties to comment
15:52:12 [aphillip]
issue-419?
15:52:12 [trackbot]
issue-419 -- term "NOTE" may not be friendly to users in other languages ⓟ -- open
15:52:12 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/419
15:54:35 [aphillip]
jck: may also be a bidi issue
15:55:27 [aphillip]
<arabic> NOTE <latin>
15:56:35 [aphillip]
richard: markup would mess up the file in an plain text editing process
15:56:44 [aphillip]
... controls are invisible and may create other issues
15:57:36 [aphillip]
richard: seems that we need a "bidi reference model" ?
15:57:47 [aphillip]
... how you expect to display, edit, etc.
15:58:13 [aphillip]
issue-420?
15:58:13 [trackbot]
issue-420 -- no provision for indicating overall content language(s) ⓟ -- open
15:58:13 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/420
15:59:18 [aphillip]
addison: also no way to set the whole document to rtl either
16:00:16 [aphillip]
issue-421?
16:00:16 [trackbot]
issue-421 -- non-ASCII examples? ⓟ -- open
16:00:16 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/421
16:01:01 [aphillip]
Generally in the document, I don't find a means for indicating the natural language of the content as a whole. There is a cue language span, for spanning runs of text, but no way to indicate the language of the file as a whole (that is, the language outside a spanned section).
16:01:37 [aphillip]
<!-- -->
16:01:47 [aphillip]
#
16:02:36 [aphillip]
issue-422?
16:02:37 [trackbot]
issue-422 -- start/end linked to left/right ⓟ -- open
16:02:37 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/422
16:05:28 [aphillip]
richard: rlm and lrm don't solve all cases
16:05:44 [aphillip]
... don't reference the rest of the unicode controls
16:08:27 [aphillip]
issue-423?
16:08:27 [trackbot]
issue-423 -- Optional BOM ⓟ -- open
16:08:27 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/423
16:09:33 [aphillip]
richard: no need to draw attention?
16:09:37 [aphillip]
issue-424?
16:09:37 [trackbot]
issue-424 -- Why not ABNF/EBNF? ⓟ -- open
16:09:37 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/424
16:11:27 [aphillip]
richard: railroad diagrams!
16:12:28 [aphillip]
... more verbiage could be useful if there were examples
16:12:41 [aphillip]
... a picture every so often would make this clear
16:12:48 [aphillip]
issue-425?
16:12:48 [trackbot]
issue-425 -- Normalization and string identity issues ⓟ -- open
16:12:48 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/425
16:14:17 [aphillip]
addison: need a health warning about divergent byte sequences
16:14:50 [aphillip]
issue-426?
16:14:50 [trackbot]
issue-426 -- zero or more characters? ⓟ -- open
16:14:50 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/426
16:16:10 [aphillip]
issue-427?
16:16:10 [trackbot]
issue-427 -- WebVTT percentage ⓟ -- open
16:16:10 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/427
16:16:30 [aphillip]
A WebVTT percentage consists of the following components: One or more ASCII digits.
16:17:55 [aphillip]
issue-428?
16:17:55 [trackbot]
issue-428 -- emphasis spans ⓟ -- open
16:17:55 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/428
16:18:23 [aphillip]
addison: other kinds of emphasis?
16:18:38 [aphillip]
richard: whether they should provide those rather than relying on CSS?
16:19:07 [aphillip]
<b>bold</b>
16:19:21 [aphillip]
richard: we have an article about that
16:20:06 [aphillip]
... this is presentational markup, have a more general mechanism
16:20:19 [aphillip]
... you'd want bouten marks in Japanese on TVs for example
16:20:26 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2015/02/26-i18n-minutes.html aphillip
16:20:29 [aphillip]
issue-429?
16:20:29 [trackbot]
issue-429 -- "valid" language tag ⓟ -- open
16:20:29 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/429
16:21:28 [aphillip]
issue-430?
16:21:29 [trackbot]
issue-430 -- No character escapes ⓟ -- open
16:21:29 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/430
16:22:29 [aphillip]
issue-431?
16:22:29 [trackbot]
issue-431 -- ruby + rt sufficient? ⓟ -- open
16:22:29 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/431
16:23:35 [aphillip]
richard: html ruby model
16:23:40 [aphillip]
... doesn't handle double-sided
16:23:49 [aphillip]
... want to start small and grow later might be okay
16:24:12 [aphillip]
addison: no group ruby?
16:24:18 [aphillip]
richard: by having separate rt spans
16:24:41 [aphillip]
issue-432?
16:24:41 [trackbot]
issue-432 -- processing model handling of bidi ⓟ -- open
16:24:41 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/432
16:29:26 [aphillip]
richard: apparently some tests exist
16:30:54 [Zakim]
-JcK
16:31:45 [aphillip]
action: addison: notify WebVTT that we are actively reviewing
16:31:46 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-411 - Notify webvtt that we are actively reviewing [on Addison Phillips - due 2015-03-05].
16:32:13 [aphillip]
agenda?
16:32:22 [aphillip]
zakim, take up agendum 6
16:32:22 [Zakim]
agendum 6. "appmanifest Review" taken up [from aphillip]
16:32:34 [aphillip]
http://www.w3.org/International/track/products/74
16:34:15 [aphillip]
http://www.w3.org/TR/2015/WD-appmanifest-20150212/
16:34:43 [aphillip]
This specification defines a JSON-based manifest that provides developers with a centralized place to put metadata associated with a web application. This includes, but is not limited to, the web application's name, links to icons, as well as the preferred URL to open when a user launches the web application. The manifest also allows developers to declare a default orientation for their web application, as well as providing the ability to set the display[CUT]
16:34:55 [JcK]
JcK has left #i18n
16:36:28 [matial_]
have to leave
16:36:44 [Zakim]
-matial
16:37:35 [aphillip]
Topic: AOB?
16:37:43 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2015/02/26-i18n-minutes.html aphillip
16:38:23 [Zakim]
-aphillip
16:38:28 [r12a]
zakim, drop richard
16:38:28 [Zakim]
Richard is being disconnected
16:38:29 [Zakim]
I18N_WG()10:00AM has ended
16:38:29 [Zakim]
Attendees were aphillip, Richard, JcK, matial
16:46:41 [aphillip]
rrsagent, make minutes
16:46:41 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2015/02/26-i18n-minutes.html aphillip
16:46:44 [aphillip]
zakim, bye
16:46:44 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #i18n
17:16:40 [aphillip]
rrsagent, bye
17:16:40 [RRSAgent]
I see 2 open action items saved in http://www.w3.org/2015/02/26-i18n-actions.rdf :
17:16:40 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: addison: write back to QT asking for issue-394 to be "noted" [1]
17:16:40 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2015/02/26-i18n-irc#T15-45-53
17:16:40 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: addison: notify WebVTT that we are actively reviewing [2]
17:16:40 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2015/02/26-i18n-irc#T16-31-45