IRC log of i18n on 2014-05-29

Timestamps are in UTC.

14:00:52 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #i18n
14:00:52 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2014/05/29-i18n-irc
14:00:54 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, make logs world
14:00:54 [Zakim]
Zakim has joined #i18n
14:00:56 [trackbot]
Zakim, this will be 4186
14:00:56 [Zakim]
ok, trackbot; I see I18N_CoreWG()10:00AM scheduled to start now
14:00:57 [trackbot]
Meeting: Internationalization Working Group Teleconference
14:00:57 [trackbot]
Date: 29 May 2014
14:01:10 [r12a]
Zakim, this will be 4186
14:01:10 [Zakim]
ok, r12a; I see I18N_CoreWG()10:00AM scheduled to start now
14:01:19 [r12a]
zakim, dial richard
14:01:19 [Zakim]
ok, r12a; the call is being made
14:01:20 [Zakim]
I18N_CoreWG()10:00AM has now started
14:01:22 [Zakim]
+Richard
14:01:37 [koji]
koji has joined #i18n
14:01:43 [Zakim]
+??P6
14:01:52 [matial]
zakim, ??p6 is me
14:01:52 [Zakim]
+matial; got it
14:02:03 [Zakim]
+koji
14:03:23 [aphillip]
aphillip has joined #i18n
14:03:57 [Zakim]
+aphillip
14:04:16 [aphillip]
Agenda: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2014May/0009.html
14:04:26 [aphillip]
agenda?
14:04:34 [aphillip]
zakim, who is here?
14:04:35 [Zakim]
On the phone I see Richard, matial, koji, aphillip
14:04:37 [Zakim]
On IRC I see aphillip, koji, Zakim, RRSAgent, matial, r12a, trackbot
14:04:43 [aphillip]
Regrets: JcK
14:05:14 [aphillip]
Regrets+ David
14:05:37 [aphillip]
ScribeNick: aphillip
14:06:13 [aphillip]
Topic: Agenda
14:06:20 [aphillip]
Topic: Action Items
14:06:29 [aphillip]
http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open
14:07:46 [aphillip]
action-113: richard spoke to aharon, won't probably work on it until html5 confirms dir is isolating
14:07:46 [trackbot]
Notes added to action-113 Work on tidying up Additional Requirements for Bidi in HTML & CSS over coming couple of months.
14:09:38 [aphillip]
close action-299
14:09:38 [trackbot]
Closed action-299.
14:10:14 [aphillip]
action: addison: forward tpac attendance survey thing to richard
14:10:14 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-307 - Forward tpac attendance survey thing to richard [on Addison Phillips - due 2014-06-05].
14:11:07 [aphillip]
close action-303
14:11:07 [trackbot]
Closed action-303.
14:11:22 [aphillip]
close action-304
14:11:22 [trackbot]
Closed action-304.
14:11:34 [r12a]
http://rishida.net/blog/?p=1083
14:11:37 [aphillip]
close action-305
14:11:37 [trackbot]
Closed action-305.
14:12:26 [aphillip]
close action-306
14:12:26 [trackbot]
Closed action-306.
14:12:36 [aphillip]
Topic: Info Share
14:12:44 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2014/05/29-i18n-minutes.html aphillip
14:13:06 [r12a]
http://rishida.net/blog/?p=1037
14:13:07 [aphillip]
rrsagent, set logs world
14:13:24 [r12a]
Typography questions for HTML & CSS:
14:13:24 [r12a]
Effect of markup and styling on cursive script (eg. Arabic)
14:13:34 [aphillip]
richard: people seeing my tweets
14:13:47 [aphillip]
... so raising awareness via blog posts etc
14:13:51 [r12a]
Typography questions for HTML & CSS:
14:13:51 [r12a]
Korean line breaking rules
14:13:56 [r12a]
http://rishida.net/blog/?p=1048
14:14:12 [aphillip]
Chair: Addison Phillips
14:14:19 [r12a]
Typography questions for HTML & CSS:
14:14:19 [r12a]
Arabic justification
14:14:31 [r12a]
http://rishida.net/blog/?p=1059
14:14:34 [aphillip]
richard: taken from a talk I gave at MLWeb conf
14:14:44 [aphillip]
... sums up some questions we have
14:14:49 [aphillip]
... has links to other's articles
14:15:05 [aphillip]
... in addition to the IDN universal access thing
14:15:17 [aphillip]
... so four posts in a few days after some inactivity
14:15:55 [aphillip]
Topic: RADAR
14:16:06 [aphillip]
https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Review_radar#Scheduled_Last_Call_reviews
14:16:50 [aphillip]
Tracking DNT http://www.w3.org/TR/tracking-dnt/
14:17:25 [aphillip]
CSS Variables http://www.w3.org/TR/css-variables-1/
14:18:40 [aphillip]
action: addison: ping new members if interested in reviewing
14:18:40 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-308 - Ping new members if interested in reviewing [on Addison Phillips - due 2014-06-05].
14:19:13 [aphillip]
Topic: Resolution to Publish Encoding as Last Call
14:19:23 [aphillip]
http://www.w3.org/TR/2014/WD-encoding-20140603/
14:20:18 [aphillip]
chair: do we support publication of Encoding as a Last Call WD?
14:20:20 [r12a]
+1
14:20:21 [aphillip]
addison: yes
14:20:26 [koji]
+1
14:20:47 [matial]
+1, no pb
14:21:05 [aphillip]
chair: resolved to publish
14:21:17 [aphillip]
Topic: Establish Encoding Last Call Period
14:21:53 [aphillip]
richard: 1 July would be about a month
14:22:00 [aphillip]
... need 3 weeks minimum
14:22:07 [aphillip]
... and we need to get to CR by September
14:22:14 [aphillip]
... have to deal with comment
14:22:31 [aphillip]
chair: proposal is to end LC on 1 July 2014. All in favor?
14:22:35 [aphillip]
addison: +1
14:22:39 [r12a]
+1
14:22:40 [matial]
+1
14:23:10 [koji]
+1
14:23:18 [aphillip]
chair: resolved to end LC on 1 July
14:23:36 [aphillip]
richard: will send pubreq tonight
14:23:44 [aphillip]
... plh wanted status of testing
14:24:26 [aphillip]
addison: talked to anne about that, kind of a weak area
14:25:24 [aphillip]
action: addison: ping anne in writing about encoding tests seeking location(s)
14:25:25 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-309 - Ping anne in writing about encoding tests seeking location(s) [on Addison Phillips - due 2014-06-05].
14:27:55 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2014/05/29-i18n-minutes.html aphillip
14:28:08 [aphillip]
Topic: CSS3 Text Comments
14:28:16 [aphillip]
http://www.w3.org/International/track/products/2
14:28:37 [aphillip]
richard: koji asked me to mention that they will produce a new versoin in the summer
14:28:49 [aphillip]
... could we plan to review it over the summer?
14:28:55 [aphillip]
addison: absolutely
14:29:25 [aphillip]
richard: went through a lot of them
14:29:30 [aphillip]
... think we can close many of them
14:29:54 [r12a]
http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/145
14:30:21 [aphillip]
close issue-145
14:30:21 [trackbot]
Closed issue-145.
14:30:29 [aphillip]
http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/308
14:30:55 [aphillip]
issue-309?
14:30:55 [trackbot]
issue-309 -- Haphazard use of term 'character' -- open
14:30:55 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/309
14:31:14 [aphillip]
issue-310?
14:31:14 [trackbot]
issue-310 -- (editorial) consistency in refering to Unicode web site -- open
14:31:14 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/310
14:32:04 [aphillip]
close issue-310
14:32:04 [trackbot]
Closed issue-310.
14:32:09 [aphillip]
issue-311?
14:32:09 [trackbot]
issue-311 -- Clarity of Arabic hyphenation example -- open
14:32:09 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/311
14:32:40 [aphillip]
addison: uighur example?
14:33:37 [aphillip]
richard: john hudson sent you an example
14:34:47 [aphillip]
... but on thread for issue-345
14:35:00 [aphillip]
close issue-311
14:35:00 [trackbot]
Closed issue-311.
14:35:08 [aphillip]
issue-312?
14:35:09 [trackbot]
issue-312 -- (editorial) distribute keyword description -- open
14:35:09 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/312
14:35:20 [aphillip]
close issue-312
14:35:21 [trackbot]
Closed issue-312.
14:35:24 [aphillip]
issue:313?
14:35:29 [aphillip]
issue-313?
14:35:29 [trackbot]
issue-313 -- Definition of grapheme clusters -- open
14:35:29 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/313
14:39:14 [aphillip]
issue-314?
14:39:14 [trackbot]
issue-314 -- Line breaking and ruby -- open
14:39:14 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/314
14:39:31 [aphillip]
close issue-314
14:39:31 [trackbot]
Closed issue-314.
14:39:42 [aphillip]
issue-315?
14:39:42 [trackbot]
issue-315 -- Reference to line breaking in KLREQ -- open
14:39:42 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/315
14:40:10 [aphillip]
close issue-315
14:40:10 [trackbot]
Closed issue-315.
14:40:22 [aphillip]
issue-316?
14:40:22 [trackbot]
issue-316 -- Line breaking defaults -- open
14:40:22 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/316
14:40:55 [aphillip]
koji: edits and feedback from wg
14:41:03 [aphillip]
... david barron wants section to be testable
14:41:20 [aphillip]
... suggestion we specify what ua has to do
14:41:25 [aphillip]
... and make testable
14:41:45 [aphillip]
richard: think I got your email
14:42:30 [aphillip]
koji: oh, wait, different issue
14:42:36 [r12a]
http://www.w3.org/International/tests/#css3-text-transform2
14:42:38 [aphillip]
richard: need to review
14:42:58 [aphillip]
... need to determine situation regarding uax14 support
14:43:08 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2014/05/29-i18n-minutes.html aphillip
14:43:20 [aphillip]
issue-317?
14:43:20 [trackbot]
issue-317 -- Line breaking property and value names -- open
14:43:20 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/317
14:44:11 [aphillip]
richard: reordering done
14:44:19 [aphillip]
... would have liked to have had an alias
14:44:35 [aphillip]
... the current names have historical usage, per elika and koji
14:44:47 [aphillip]
close issue-317
14:44:47 [trackbot]
Closed issue-317.
14:44:51 [aphillip]
issue-318?
14:44:51 [trackbot]
issue-318 -- Tibetan line breaking & justification background info -- open
14:44:51 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/318
14:45:05 [aphillip]
close issue-318
14:45:05 [trackbot]
Closed issue-318.
14:45:08 [aphillip]
issue-319?
14:45:08 [trackbot]
issue-319 -- word-break 'according to usual rules' -- open
14:45:08 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/319
14:45:25 [aphillip]
close issue-319
14:45:26 [trackbot]
Closed issue-319.
14:45:35 [aphillip]
issue-320?
14:45:35 [trackbot]
issue-320 -- Example 6 -- open
14:45:35 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/320
14:45:46 [aphillip]
close issue-320
14:45:46 [trackbot]
Closed issue-320.
14:45:50 [aphillip]
issue-321?
14:45:50 [trackbot]
issue-321 -- Naming of "start end" -- open
14:45:50 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/321
14:46:09 [aphillip]
issue-322?
14:46:09 [trackbot]
issue-322 -- text-justify: auto should recommend international typographic accuracy -- open
14:46:09 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/322
14:46:49 [aphillip]
koji: this is the one I meant before (dbarron wants testable)
14:48:01 [aphillip]
... should define best backward compatible algorithm or criteria
14:48:30 [aphillip]
richard: encouraging people to do right thing because hard to specify
14:48:40 [aphillip]
issue-323?
14:48:40 [trackbot]
issue-323 -- Figures 3 to 5 -- open
14:48:40 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/323
14:50:56 [aphillip]
issue-324?
14:50:56 [trackbot]
issue-324 -- distribute -> inter-character -- open
14:50:56 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/324
14:51:52 [aphillip]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-international/2014AprJun/0146.html
14:51:55 [r12a]
http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/323
14:53:05 [aphillip]
issue-324?
14:53:05 [trackbot]
issue-324 -- distribute -> inter-character -- open
14:53:05 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/324
14:53:40 [aphillip]
close issue-324
14:53:40 [trackbot]
Closed issue-324.
14:53:55 [aphillip]
issue-325?
14:53:55 [trackbot]
issue-325 -- expansion opportunity -> justification opportunity -- open
14:53:55 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/325
14:54:06 [aphillip]
close issue-325?
14:54:06 [trackbot]
Closed issue-325.
14:54:15 [aphillip]
issue-330?
14:54:15 [trackbot]
issue-330 -- Tasmeem example not clear -- open
14:54:15 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/330
14:55:45 [koji]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2014May/0075.html
14:57:22 [aphillip]
http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-text/#text-justify-property
14:59:41 [aphillip]
richard: forward fantasai's email and then addison reply?
14:59:45 [aphillip]
addison: okay
14:59:59 [aphillip]
issue-331?
14:59:59 [trackbot]
issue-331 -- No kashida style or relationship to styles 'distribute' and 'inter-word' -- open
14:59:59 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/331
15:00:38 [aphillip]
issue-332?
15:00:38 [trackbot]
issue-332 -- Lack of complete kashida description -- open
15:00:38 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/332
15:02:57 [aphillip]
issue-333?
15:02:57 [trackbot]
issue-333 -- 'letter-spacing' and Arabic -- open
15:02:57 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/333
15:05:07 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2014/05/29-i18n-minutes.html aphillip
15:06:20 [aphillip]
richard: example of indesign or similar
15:06:42 [aphillip]
... there might be adjustments of the spaces inside words where the arabic letters don't actually physically join
15:07:02 [aphillip]
... don't break letters apart
15:07:50 [aphillip]
"fi s h"
15:08:21 [aphillip]
issue-334?
15:08:21 [trackbot]
issue-334 -- 'letter-spacing' and Indic -- open
15:08:21 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/334
15:09:07 [aphillip]
richard: for justification, sometimes the font makes a difference
15:09:46 [aphillip]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-international/2014AprJun/0089.html
15:11:01 [aphillip]
koji: wg acks that not everything can be done correctly
15:11:06 [aphillip]
... maybe do something like counter style
15:11:24 [aphillip]
... where we externalize the different cases
15:12:09 [aphillip]
richard: maybe, for some things like kashida
15:12:16 [aphillip]
... there are certain user preferences
15:12:35 [aphillip]
... and CSS probably should provide the controls for user preferences
15:14:50 [aphillip]
addison: maybe be explicit about what is not currently supported?
15:15:21 [aphillip]
koji: maybe need something like ruby use cases: keep a list that is growing
15:15:28 [aphillip]
... keep track of these items
15:18:43 [aphillip]
richard: koji, do you want us to reply to all closed comments saying we're satisfied?
15:19:22 [aphillip]
action: richard: send note to CSS about satisfaction on closed css3 text issues
15:19:22 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-310 - Send note to css about satisfaction on closed css3 text issues [on Richard Ishida - due 2014-06-05].
15:20:07 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2014/05/29-i18n-minutes.html aphillip
15:20:11 [aphillip]
Topic: AOB?
15:20:43 [matial]
Bye
15:20:47 [Zakim]
-koji
15:20:49 [Zakim]
-aphillip
15:20:51 [Zakim]
-matial
15:20:59 [aphillip]
rrsagent, make minutes
15:20:59 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2014/05/29-i18n-minutes.html aphillip
15:21:06 [r12a]
zakim, drop richard
15:21:07 [Zakim]
Richard is being disconnected
15:21:07 [Zakim]
I18N_CoreWG()10:00AM has ended
15:21:07 [Zakim]
Attendees were Richard, matial, koji, aphillip
15:21:30 [aphillip]
Present: Addison, Richard, Mati, Koji
15:21:41 [aphillip]
Regrets+ Felix
15:21:59 [aphillip]
rrsagent, make minutes
15:21:59 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2014/05/29-i18n-minutes.html aphillip
15:22:26 [aphillip]
Scribe: Addison Phillips
15:22:32 [aphillip]
rrsagent, make minutes
15:22:32 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2014/05/29-i18n-minutes.html aphillip
15:22:43 [aphillip]
zakim, bye
15:22:43 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #i18n
15:23:48 [aphillip]
rrsagent, make minutes
15:23:48 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2014/05/29-i18n-minutes.html aphillip
15:23:51 [aphillip]
rrsagent, bye
15:23:51 [RRSAgent]
I see 4 open action items saved in http://www.w3.org/2014/05/29-i18n-actions.rdf :
15:23:51 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: addison: forward tpac attendance survey thing to richard [1]
15:23:51 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/05/29-i18n-irc#T14-10-14
15:23:51 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: addison: ping new members if interested in reviewing [2]
15:23:51 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/05/29-i18n-irc#T14-18-40
15:23:51 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: addison: ping anne in writing about encoding tests seeking location(s) [3]
15:23:51 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/05/29-i18n-irc#T14-25-24
15:23:51 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: richard: send note to CSS about satisfaction on closed css3 text issues [4]
15:23:51 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/05/29-i18n-irc#T15-19-22