IRC log of i18n on 2014-05-15

Timestamps are in UTC.

13:57:19 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #i18n
13:57:19 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2014/05/15-i18n-irc
13:57:24 [Zakim]
Zakim has joined #i18n
13:57:29 [aphillip]
trackbot, prepare teleconference
13:57:31 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, make logs world
13:57:33 [trackbot]
Zakim, this will be 4186
13:57:33 [Zakim]
ok, trackbot; I see I18N_CoreWG()10:00AM scheduled to start in 3 minutes
13:57:34 [trackbot]
Meeting: Internationalization Working Group Teleconference
13:57:34 [trackbot]
Date: 15 May 2014
13:57:44 [aphillip]
Agenda: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2014May/0004.html
13:57:50 [aphillip]
Chair: Addison Phillips
13:57:55 [aphillip]
Scribe: Addison Phillips
13:57:59 [aphillip]
ScribeNick: aphillip
13:58:40 [aphillip]
rrsagent, draft minutes
13:58:40 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2014/05/15-i18n-minutes.html aphillip
14:00:19 [matial]
matial has joined #i18n
14:01:37 [Zakim]
I18N_CoreWG()10:00AM has now started
14:01:44 [Zakim]
+??P0
14:01:54 [matial]
zakim, ??p0 is me
14:01:54 [Zakim]
+matial; got it
14:02:00 [r12a]
zakim, dial richard please
14:02:00 [Zakim]
ok, r12a; the call is being made
14:02:02 [Zakim]
+Richard
14:02:11 [Zakim]
+aphillip
14:04:54 [aphillip]
Topic: Agenda?
14:05:08 [r12a]
zakim, who's here?
14:05:08 [Zakim]
On the phone I see matial, Richard, aphillip
14:05:10 [Zakim]
On IRC I see matial, Zakim, RRSAgent, aphillip, David, r12a, fsasaki, trackbot
14:05:37 [aphillip]
Topic: Action Items
14:05:44 [aphillip]
http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open
14:06:04 [JcK]
JcK has joined #i18n
14:06:52 [aphillip]
felix: any news on ACTION-284
14:06:53 [Zakim]
+JcK
14:06:58 [aphillip]
action-284
14:06:58 [trackbot]
action-284 -- Felix Sasaki to Write back to xliff and its-ig with summary of our discussion -- due 2014-02-13 -- OPEN
14:06:58 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/284
14:09:19 [aphillip]
Topic: Info Share
14:09:44 [aphillip]
richard: went to Oman
14:10:10 [aphillip]
richard: MLWeb conference
14:10:14 [aphillip]
... in Madrid last week
14:10:32 [aphillip]
... spoke about the layout requirements documents that we've been developing
14:10:42 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2014/05/15-i18n-minutes.html aphillip
14:10:54 [r12a]
http://www.multilingualweb.eu/documents/2014-madrid-workshop/2014-madrid-program
14:11:09 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2014/05/15-i18n-minutes.html aphillip
14:11:25 [aphillip]
richard: oman meeting
14:11:32 [aphillip]
... google is working on solutions
14:11:37 [aphillip]
... not highest priority
14:11:42 [aphillip]
... but being worked on
14:11:47 [aphillip]
... microsoft as well
14:11:54 [aphillip]
... took copious notes
14:12:01 [aphillip]
... want to write a summary
14:12:29 [aphillip]
richard: for example, looking at handling IDNs in gmail
14:12:46 [aphillip]
... I talked about URLs as a whole
14:12:53 [aphillip]
... and that brings additional things
14:13:06 [aphillip]
... they were mostly concerned about top two levels of IDNs
14:13:32 [aphillip]
jck: gmail folks have said in various places that they won't support non-ASCII local parts
14:13:46 [aphillip]
richard: why percent escaping for domain part of web address?
14:14:41 [aphillip]
addison: larry masinter notes that this is seen in DNS server logs
14:14:59 [aphillip]
richard: maybe push for punycode all the time
14:15:10 [aphillip]
... some folks suggested punycode all the time for local part (user name)
14:16:42 [aphillip]
addison: apis produce percent encoding
14:17:07 [aphillip]
jck: mail servers have to be specifically set up to accept punycode local part
14:17:18 [aphillip]
... only utf-8 through consistent
14:17:49 [aphillip]
richard: order of email addresses in RTL
14:18:12 [aphillip]
... email addresses show RTL
14:18:32 [aphillip]
... and HTTP on the right side
14:18:52 [aphillip]
richard: also want to get rid of the "http://" part
14:19:10 [aphillip]
... and 'www' because they are ASCII
14:21:53 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2014/05/15-i18n-minutes.html aphillip
14:22:51 [aphillip]
addison: spoke at SFGlobalization
14:22:58 [aphillip]
http://www.meetup.com/sf-globalization/events/174718202/
14:23:18 [aphillip]
http://bit.ly/sfglobalization-the-multilingual-web
14:23:53 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2014/05/15-i18n-minutes.html aphillip
14:24:13 [aphillip]
Topic: Review Radar
14:24:16 [aphillip]
https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Review_radar#Scheduled_Last_Call_reviews
14:25:48 [aphillip]
Tracking DNT, CSS Variables, DOM Parsing
14:26:43 [r12a]
http://w3c.github.io/csvw/syntax/index.html#parsing
14:26:58 [aphillip]
richard: work going on on CVS metadata
14:27:16 [aphillip]
s/CVS/CSV/
14:27:29 [aphillip]
richard: went to a talk by Ivan Hermann
14:27:41 [aphillip]
... want to publish more widely in about four weeks
14:28:01 [aphillip]
... mgiht be simpler if we comment now
14:28:18 [aphillip]
richard to shepherd
14:28:42 [aphillip]
richard: also a requirements document somewhere. will send link
14:29:05 [r12a]
http://w3c.github.io/csvw/use-cases-and-requirements/index.html#can-req
14:30:00 [aphillip]
action: richard: write a trip report/summary of the universal access meeting
14:30:00 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-305 - Write a trip report/summary of the universal access meeting [on Richard Ishida - due 2014-05-22].
14:30:56 [Zakim]
+[IPcaller]
14:31:17 [aphillip]
action-284
14:31:17 [trackbot]
action-284 -- Felix Sasaki to Write back to xliff and its-ig with summary of our discussion -- due 2014-02-13 -- OPEN
14:31:17 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/284
14:31:38 [aphillip]
felix: now part of the XLIFF TC
14:32:11 [aphillip]
Topic: Encoding
14:32:39 [aphillip]
https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/buglist.cgi?bug_status=__open__&content=Encoding&list_id=36917&order=component&product=WHATWG&query_format=specific
14:38:04 [aphillip]
https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=16691
14:39:48 [aphillip]
richard: could get get Anne to put notes in the spec where there are open issues?
14:41:18 [aphillip]
action: addison: ping Anne about adding notations for where bugs are located
14:41:18 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-306 - Ping anne about adding notations for where bugs are located [on Addison Phillips - due 2014-05-22].
14:41:25 [aphillip]
https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=16685
14:42:29 [aphillip]
https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=21057
14:44:19 [aphillip]
Proposed solution: Define a replacement encoding that decodes all possible byte values to the REPLACEMENT CHARACTER. Make the known labels for ASCII-incompatible encodings that exist but aren't part of the Encoding Standard aliases for the replacement encoding.
14:44:53 [aphillip]
https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=23971
14:52:39 [aphillip]
https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=17053
14:55:13 [aphillip]
https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=25339
14:56:43 [aphillip]
https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=19961
14:57:05 [JcK]
The other problem with going further down the path of legitimizing sometimes-deliberate violations of what the encoding identifiers are intended to mean is that I'm seeing increasing amounts of email with an encoding that is labeled in various ways but I've started describing as UTF-2312.
14:57:21 [aphillip]
https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=23317
14:57:51 [aphillip]
https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=21556
14:59:09 [aphillip]
https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=23154
15:00:03 [aphillip]
richard: follow up to see if anything has happened on that since september
15:03:53 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2014/05/15-i18n-minutes.html aphillip
15:05:20 [koji]
koji has joined #i18n
15:05:51 [aphillip]
Topic: AOB?
15:06:34 [Zakim]
-aphillip
15:06:35 [Zakim]
-JcK
15:06:40 [Zakim]
-fsasaki
15:06:43 [JcK]
JcK has left #i18n
15:06:46 [Zakim]
-matial
15:06:48 [r12a]
addison, don't forget slide 30 ;-)
15:06:56 [r12a]
zakim, drop richard
15:06:56 [Zakim]
Richard is being disconnected
15:06:58 [Zakim]
I18N_CoreWG()10:00AM has ended
15:06:58 [Zakim]
Attendees were matial, Richard, aphillip, JcK, [IPcaller], fsasaki
15:08:14 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2014/05/15-i18n-minutes.html aphillip
15:08:22 [aphillip]
zakim, bye
15:08:22 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #i18n
15:08:26 [aphillip]
rrsagent, bye
15:08:26 [RRSAgent]
I see 2 open action items saved in http://www.w3.org/2014/05/15-i18n-actions.rdf :
15:08:26 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: richard: write a trip report/summary of the universal access meeting [1]
15:08:26 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/05/15-i18n-irc#T14-30-00
15:08:26 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: addison: ping Anne about adding notations for where bugs are located [2]
15:08:26 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/05/15-i18n-irc#T14-41-18