IRC log of dap on 2014-01-09

Timestamps are in UTC.

14:04:47 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #dap
14:04:47 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2014/01/09-dap-irc
14:04:49 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, make logs world
14:04:49 [Zakim]
Zakim has joined #dap
14:04:51 [trackbot]
Zakim, this will be DAP
14:04:51 [Zakim]
ok, trackbot; I see UW_DAP()10:00AM scheduled to start in 56 minutes
14:04:52 [trackbot]
Meeting: Device APIs Working Group Teleconference
14:04:52 [trackbot]
Date: 09 January 2014
14:28:55 [fjh]
fjh has joined #dap
14:51:19 [Zakim]
UW_DAP()10:00AM has now started
14:51:26 [Zakim]
+??P0
14:56:07 [fjh]
trackbot, start telecon
14:56:09 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, make logs world
14:56:11 [trackbot]
Zakim, this will be DAP
14:56:11 [Zakim]
ok, trackbot, I see UW_DAP()10:00AM already started
14:56:12 [trackbot]
Meeting: Device APIs Working Group Teleconference
14:56:12 [trackbot]
Date: 09 January 2014
14:56:29 [fjh]
Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2014Jan/0011.html
14:56:39 [fjh]
Chair: Frederick_Hirsch
14:56:49 [fjh]
Present+ Frederick_Hirsch
14:56:59 [Zakim]
+??P2
14:57:00 [fjh]
Topic: Welcome, agenda review, scribe selection, announcements
14:57:10 [fjh]
ScribeNick: fjh
14:57:13 [mats]
Present+ Mats_Wichmann
14:57:52 [Zakim]
+[IPcaller]
14:58:01 [fjh]
zakim, IPcaller is me
14:58:01 [Zakim]
+fjh; got it
14:58:15 [fjh]
fjh has changed the topic to: dap 3279 agenda http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2014Jan/0011.html
14:58:22 [fjh]
rrsagent, generate minutes
14:58:22 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2014/01/09-dap-minutes.html fjh
14:58:23 [anssik]
zakim, ??P2 is me
14:58:23 [Zakim]
+anssik; got it
14:58:30 [anssik]
Present+ Anssi_Kostiainen
14:59:15 [fjh]
zakim, who is here?
14:59:15 [Zakim]
On the phone I see ??P0, anssik, fjh
14:59:16 [Zakim]
On IRC I see fjh, Zakim, RRSAgent, lgombos, mats, dom, slightlyoff, Josh_Soref, mounir, anssik, trackbot
14:59:27 [fjh]
zakim, ??P0 is anssik
14:59:27 [Zakim]
+anssik; got it
14:59:33 [fjh]
zakim, who is here?
14:59:33 [Zakim]
On the phone I see anssik.a, anssik, fjh
14:59:34 [Zakim]
On IRC I see fjh, Zakim, RRSAgent, lgombos, mats, dom, slightlyoff, Josh_Soref, mounir, anssik, trackbot
14:59:41 [fjh]
zakim, anssik is mats
14:59:41 [Zakim]
+mats; got it
14:59:45 [fjh]
zakim, who is here?
14:59:45 [Zakim]
On the phone I see anssik.a, mats, fjh
14:59:48 [Zakim]
On IRC I see fjh, Zakim, RRSAgent, lgombos, mats, dom, slightlyoff, Josh_Soref, mounir, anssik, trackbot
14:59:55 [fjh]
zakim, anssik.a is anssik
14:59:55 [Zakim]
+anssik; got it
15:00:02 [fjh]
zakim, who is here?
15:00:02 [Zakim]
On the phone I see anssik, mats, fjh
15:00:04 [Zakim]
On IRC I see fjh, Zakim, RRSAgent, lgombos, mats, dom, slightlyoff, Josh_Soref, mounir, anssik, trackbot
15:00:11 [fjh]
zakim, mute anssik
15:00:11 [Zakim]
anssik should now be muted
15:00:17 [fjh]
zakim, unmute anssik
15:00:18 [Zakim]
anssik should no longer be muted
15:01:05 [Zakim]
+??P13
15:01:08 [dom]
Zakim, ??P13 is me
15:01:09 [Zakim]
+dom; got it
15:01:22 [Cathy]
Cathy has joined #dap
15:01:24 [fjh]
Present+ Dominique_Hazael-Massieux
15:02:47 [fjh]
proposed RESOLUTION: Cancel 23 January 2014 teleconference.
15:02:47 [fjh]
proposed RESOLUTION: Cancel 24 April 2014 teleconference.
15:03:14 [Zakim]
+Cathy
15:03:47 [dom]
+1 on cancelling both
15:03:57 [fjh]
RESOLUTION: Cancel 23 January 2014 teleconference
15:04:06 [fjh]
RESOLUTION: Cancel 24 April 2014 teleconference.
15:04:27 [fjh]
fjh: will update minutes page, which has upcoming meetings http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/minutes.html#upcoming-teleconferences
15:04:49 [fjh]
Topic: Minutes approval
15:04:58 [fjh]
Approve minutes from12 December 2013
15:04:58 [fjh]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2013Dec/att-0027/minutes-2013-12-12.html
15:05:05 [fjh]
RESOLUTION: Minutes from 12 December 2013 are approved
15:05:14 [fjh]
Topic: Shelving Notes
15:05:31 [fjh]
fjh: Drafts updated, publication request submitted. Planned publication date 14 January 2014
15:05:38 [fjh]
Links to drafts: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2014Jan/0009.html
15:05:57 [fjh]
dom: we agreed not to have home page news
15:06:00 [fjh]
fjh: yes
15:06:20 [Zakim]
+Lisa_DeLuca
15:07:02 [LisaDeLuca_IBM]
LisaDeLuca_IBM has joined #dap
15:07:42 [fjh]
dom: need to contact Comm team
15:07:50 [fjh]
fjh: I can do that
15:08:11 [fjh]
Topic: Vibration
15:08:27 [fjh]
Issue status summary: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2014Jan/0005.html
15:08:44 [fjh]
Issue-149?
15:08:44 [trackbot]
Issue-149 -- handling of long vibration list - truncate or no vibration at all -- open
15:08:44 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/issues/149
15:11:12 [fjh]
proposed change is here: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2013Oct/0012.html
15:12:26 [fjh]
second change here: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2013Oct/0112.html
15:12:43 [anssik]
http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2009/dap/vibration/Overview.src.html.diff?r1=1.7;r2=1.8;f=h
15:12:57 [anssik]
http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2009/dap/vibration/Overview.src.html
15:15:02 [LisaDeLuca_IBM]
Present+ Lisa_DeLuca
15:15:03 [fjh]
fjh: believe we need new LC and CR for the normative algorithm change
15:15:14 [fjh]
anssik: ok, can add note then as well, agree for need for publication
15:15:15 [anssik]
http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2009/dap/vibration/Overview.src.html.diff?r1=1.6;r2=1.7;f=h
15:15:24 [anssik]
allow concurrent invocations in different browsing contexts (ACTION-652)
15:15:46 [fjh]
anssik: this is another change
15:17:28 [Zakim]
-dom
15:17:42 [Zakim]
+??P13
15:17:43 [dom]
Zakim, ??P13 is me
15:17:43 [Zakim]
+dom; got it
15:18:05 [fjh]
action: anssik to update Vibration spec with note related o ISSUE-149 and update status section to list changes since last CR publication
15:18:07 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-673 - Update vibration spec with note related o issue-149 and update status section to list changes since last cr publication [on Anssi Kostiainen - due 2014-01-16].
15:18:20 [fjh]
action: fjh to open CfC for LC publication of Vibration
15:18:21 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-674 - Open cfc for lc publication of vibration [on Frederick Hirsch - due 2014-01-16].
15:18:28 [Zakim]
-Cathy
15:18:42 [fjh]
Topic: Ambient Light
15:18:52 [fjh]
fjh: Do we have a resolution of question whether to merge light level event into LightEvent and rename, http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2013Apr/0043.html ?
15:18:58 [Zakim]
+Cathy
15:19:21 [fjh]
fjh: is this resolved?
15:19:47 [fjh]
anssik: working on implementation and then can send in feedback in next few months
15:20:53 [fjh]
fjh: can we publish update now or wait for implementation
15:21:02 [fjh]
anssik: should wait for implementation feedback
15:21:14 [fjh]
fjh: ok, this will impact the schedule, makes sense, but does move the schedule out
15:21:26 [fjh]
anssik: yes, will double check on implementation plans
15:21:43 [fjh]
Topic: Network Information API
15:22:04 [fjh]
Marcos has proposal, http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2014Jan/0013.html
15:22:44 [fjh]
fjh: I suggest we should have further list discussion on this, but wanted to bring to your attention
15:22:58 [fjh]
anssi: having connection type is useful
15:23:17 [fjh]
… this proposal could accommodate different levels of abstraction, so this might work
15:23:52 [fjh]
fjh: we have a detailed issue yet are discussing higher level concerns, thus suggest closing the issue
15:23:58 [fjh]
ISSUE-128?
15:23:58 [trackbot]
ISSUE-128 -- Need more description on how bandwidth should be estimated -- open
15:23:58 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/issues/128
15:24:36 [fjh]
fjh: once we have a detailed proposal we could raise new issues
15:25:08 [fjh]
dom: maybe wait until we decide to move to Marcos proposal, if we do. If we do change to that proposal then this can be closed
15:25:17 [fjh]
Topic: Testing
15:25:27 [fjh]
fjh: any updates?
15:25:51 [fjh]
ACTION-523?
15:25:51 [trackbot]
ACTION-523 -- Anssi Kostiainen to Work on test cases for battery, vibration, and HTML Media Capture -- due 2012-08-31 -- OPEN
15:25:51 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/523
15:26:21 [fjh]
anssik: test suites have been updated
15:26:47 [fjh]
fjh: if there are any significant changes please send a summary to the DAP list
15:27:27 [fjh]
anssik: Pull request for HTML Media Capture test is waiting for review
15:29:32 [fjh]
action: anssik to send update on test status, pull requests on the DAP public list
15:29:37 [Zakim]
-dom
15:29:37 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-675 - Send update on test status, pull requests on the dap public list [on Anssi Kostiainen - due 2014-01-16].
15:29:49 [Zakim]
+??P13
15:29:53 [dom]
Zakim, ??P13 is me
15:29:53 [Zakim]
+dom; got it
15:31:18 [fjh]
fjh: it would be very helpful to summarize the status, what is missing, and which pull requests need review
15:31:38 [fjh]
Topic: Roadmap planning
15:31:59 [fjh]
fjh: good to understand what we are trying to do and when
15:32:01 [fjh]
Review of plans for DAP WG and specifications on home page
15:32:25 [fjh]
roadmap on home page: http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/#roadmap
15:33:09 [fjh]
we have six specs not in TF: battery, html media capture, network information, light, proximity, vibration, network service discovery
15:33:31 [fjh]
stable CR with test work: battery, html media capture, proximity
15:33:45 [fjh]
revisions requiring LC/CR: light, vibration
15:33:54 [fjh]
new: network information
15:34:06 [fjh]
new: network service discovery
15:35:08 [dom]
Zakim, call dom-mobile
15:35:08 [Zakim]
ok, dom; the call is being made
15:35:10 [Zakim]
+Dom
15:35:13 [fjh]
anssik: battery implementation has work in chromium so this is helpful
15:35:20 [Zakim]
-dom
15:35:38 [fjh]
fjh: not sure of timing but perhaps we can move Battery to REC by summer?
15:35:55 [dom]
anssik, re battery in Chromium, could you add a ref in http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/wiki/ImplementationStatus#Battery_Status_API ?
15:36:14 [fjh]
fjh: html media capture, proximity need test cases and implementation
15:37:31 [fjh]
fjh: Note - Network Service Discovery overview (with Rich) for Privacy Interest Group (PING) scheduled at next PING teleconference, 30 January 2014 9 am PT/noon ET, see http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-privacy/2013OctDec/0036.html
15:37:31 [fjh]
WebAppSec call to be scheduled for Network Service Discovery http://www.w3.org/2011/webappsec/
15:37:49 [anssik]
Intent to Implement: Battery Status API in Chromium -> https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/forum/#!topic/blink-dev/fzoG6Phr09k
15:39:27 [fjh]
fjh: for network service discovery PING call will be to give an overview, then we can expect privacy feedback subsequently
15:39:55 [fjh]
fjh: expect we need to publish an updated WD of Network Service discovery once RIch is available, maybe end Jan//Feb
15:40:16 [fjh]
fjh: network information has active discussion on list, new proposal from Marcos, please review and join in
15:41:45 [fjh]
fjh: plan is to persistently work to drive this work forward, but we have limited control over implementations so cannot accurately predict a schedule
15:42:18 [fjh]
dom: we need to think ahead about implementation reports and test reports and to get test results from implementations
15:42:54 [fjh]
dom: we also need to make sure we review implementation results to determine if problems are bugs in implementations or spec problems
15:43:11 [anssik]
updated http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/wiki/ImplementationStatus#Battery_Status_API
15:43:27 [fjh]
fjh: we don't have completed test cases for most, but for battery we do so we should focus on battery first to see have this right
15:44:40 [fjh]
Topic: Issue Review
15:44:53 [fjh]
fjh: trying to get focus and reduce number of open issues
15:45:13 [fjh]
anssik: once we have implementations we can get more tests and feedback
15:45:43 [fjh]
fjh: most issues are Network Service Discovery, will defer discussion
15:46:29 [fjh]
fjh: Postponed issues are deferred until a subsequent v.next publication (e.g. after the upcoming REC)
15:47:02 [dom]
dom: "postponed" can mean whatever we want (since that's not a w3c process defined term)
15:47:08 [dom]
... but I agree this is how I would interpret it
15:47:46 [fjh]
fjh: yes, I want to be clear how i am using it - to defer to next release.
15:48:33 [fjh]
please review postponed issues and note on list if any concern/disagreement: http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/issues/postponed
15:49:09 [fjh]
fjh: most are contacts or messaging, so no longer relevant. A number of vibration issues however
15:49:16 [fjh]
Topic: Agenda
15:49:21 [Zakim]
-Dom
15:49:28 [fjh]
ACTION-671?
15:49:28 [trackbot]
ACTION-671 -- Anssi Kostiainen to Prepare shelved note publications after tpac http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2013Nov/0010.html -- due 2013-11-14 -- PENDINGREVIEW
15:49:28 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/671
15:49:36 [fjh]
ACTION-523?
15:49:36 [trackbot]
ACTION-523 -- Anssi Kostiainen to Work on test cases for battery, vibration, and HTML Media Capture -- due 2012-08-31 -- OPEN
15:49:36 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/523
15:49:42 [fjh]
ACTION-666?
15:49:43 [trackbot]
ACTION-666 -- Giridhar Mandyam to Check with internal implementers whether vibration api is consistent with chip capabilities -- due 2013-10-17 -- OPEN
15:49:43 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/666
15:50:30 [Zakim]
-fjh
15:50:32 [Zakim]
-Lisa_DeLuca
15:50:35 [Zakim]
-Cathy
15:50:37 [Zakim]
-mats
15:50:40 [Zakim]
-anssik
15:50:42 [Zakim]
UW_DAP()10:00AM has ended
15:50:42 [Zakim]
Attendees were fjh, mats, anssik, dom, Cathy, Lisa_DeLuca
15:50:50 [fjh]
fjh: actions from today:
15:51:00 [fjh]
ACTION-673?
15:51:00 [trackbot]
ACTION-673 -- Anssi Kostiainen to Update vibration spec with note related o issue-149 and update status section to list changes since last cr publication -- due 2014-01-16 -- OPEN
15:51:00 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/673
15:51:09 [fjh]
ACTION-674?
15:51:09 [trackbot]
ACTION-674 -- Frederick Hirsch to Open cfc for lc publication of vibration -- due 2014-01-16 -- OPEN
15:51:09 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/674
15:51:12 [fjh]
ACTION-675?
15:51:12 [trackbot]
ACTION-675 -- Anssi Kostiainen to Send update on test status, pull requests on the dap public list -- due 2014-01-16 -- OPEN
15:51:12 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/675
15:51:33 [fjh]
Action: fjh to contact W3C Comm team regarding sharing status of shelved documents without news item
15:51:33 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-676 - Contact w3c comm team regarding sharing status of shelved documents without news item [on Frederick Hirsch - due 2014-01-16].
15:51:44 [fjh]
Topic: Other Business
15:51:45 [fjh]
none
15:51:48 [fjh]
Topic: Adjourn
15:51:53 [fjh]
rrsagent, generate minutes
15:51:53 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2014/01/09-dap-minutes.html fjh
15:51:59 [fjh]
zakim, who is here?
15:51:59 [Zakim]
apparently UW_DAP()10:00AM has ended, fjh
15:52:00 [Zakim]
On IRC I see LisaDeLuca_IBM, Cathy, fjh, Zakim, RRSAgent, mats, dom, slightlyoff, Josh_Soref, mounir, anssik, trackbot
15:53:01 [fjh]
i/Cancel 24 and
15:53:08 [fjh]
i/Cancel 24/ and
16:32:30 [lgombos]
lgombos has joined #dap
17:04:04 [lgombos]
lgombos has joined #dap