IRC log of dap on 2013-11-07

Timestamps are in UTC.

14:56:01 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #dap
14:56:01 [RRSAgent]
logging to
14:56:03 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, make logs world
14:56:03 [Zakim]
Zakim has joined #dap
14:56:05 [trackbot]
Zakim, this will be DAP
14:56:05 [Zakim]
ok, trackbot; I see UW_DAP()10:00AM scheduled to start in 4 minutes
14:56:06 [trackbot]
Meeting: Device APIs Working Group Teleconference
14:56:06 [trackbot]
Date: 07 November 2013
14:57:13 [fjh]
14:57:28 [fjh]
fjh has changed the topic to: dap 3279 ; agenda
14:57:44 [fjh]
Chair: Frederick_Hirsch
14:57:48 [fjh]
Present+ Frederick_Hirsch
14:57:54 [fjh]
Regrets+ Josh_Soref
14:58:04 [fjh]
ScribeNick: fjh
14:58:13 [fjh]
Topic: Welcome, agenda review, scribe selection, announcements
14:58:54 [fjh]
fjh: No call next week (TPAC) 14 Nov; no call US Thanksgiving week (28 Nov)
14:59:13 [fjh]
fjh: Upcoming calls: week after TPAC (21 Nov), 5 Dec, 12 Dec, 19 Dec
15:00:59 [Zakim]
UW_DAP()10:00AM has now started
15:01:41 [Zakim]
UW_DAP()10:00AM has ended
15:01:42 [Zakim]
Attendees were
15:01:55 [Zakim]
UW_DAP()10:00AM has now started
15:02:13 [fjh]
zakim, [IPcaller] is me
15:02:13 [Zakim]
sorry, fjh, I do not recognize a party named '[IPcaller]'
15:02:19 [fjh]
zakim, who is here?
15:02:19 [Zakim]
On the phone I see no one
15:02:20 [Zakim]
On IRC I see RRSAgent, fjh, igarashi, mounir, anssik, Josh_Soref, slightlyoff, trackbot
15:02:52 [anssik]
Present+ Anssi_Kostiainen
15:03:47 [gmandyam]
gmandyam has joined #dap
15:04:01 [fjh]
zakim, who is here?
15:04:01 [Zakim]
On the phone I see no one
15:04:02 [Zakim]
On IRC I see gmandyam, Zakim, RRSAgent, fjh, igarashi, mounir, anssik, Josh_Soref, slightlyoff, trackbot
15:04:34 [fjh]
zakim, who is here?
15:04:34 [Zakim]
On the phone I see no one
15:04:35 [Zakim]
On IRC I see gmandyam, Zakim, RRSAgent, fjh, igarashi, mounir, anssik, Josh_Soref, slightlyoff, trackbot
15:05:07 [fjh]
Present+ GIri_Mandyam
15:05:09 [jcdufourd]
jcdufourd has joined #dap
15:05:54 [igarashi]
Present+ Tatsuya_Igarashi
15:06:18 [gmandyam]
Present+ gmandyam
15:06:59 [jcdufourd]
Present+ JeanClaude_Dufourd
15:07:39 [fjh]
RfC: Updates of the Technical Reports process; deadline November 27,
15:07:45 [fjh]
additional git information
15:08:20 [fjh]
publishing moratorium information:
15:11:24 [anssik]
15:11:52 [fjh]
maybe of interest,
15:12:51 [fjh]
gmandyam: rechartering of Geolocation happening
15:13:29 [anssik]
also relevant to this group is this breakout session at TPAC:
15:14:09 [gmandyam]
Geolocation rechartering is proposed in
15:14:31 [gmandyam]
There is also a proposed breakout session for TPAC regarding next steps for the Geolocation WG
15:14:35 [fjh]
also relevant Web of Things,
15:14:42 [fjh]
related to network service discovery
15:15:09 [gmandyam]
Breakout session for Geolocation:
15:15:27 [gmandyam]
DeviceOrientation is also part of the proposed rechartering of the Geo WG
15:15:42 [fjh]
i/maybe of interest/Topic: TPAC sessons
15:15:57 [fjh]
Topic: Minutes approval
15:16:04 [fjh]
Approve minutes from 31 October 2013
15:16:12 [fjh]
RESOLUTION: Minutes from 31 October 2013 are approved
15:16:21 [fjh]
Topic: Test Updates - Proximity, Light
15:16:28 [fjh]
15:17:07 [fjh]
fjh: Zhiqiang added some IDL harness tests and initial value checking tests for Ambient Light Events [1] and Proximity Events [2]
15:17:12 [fjh]
fjh: what comes next?
15:17:21 [fjh]
fjh: see
15:17:40 [fjh]
anssik: this should now be fully aligned with specification but have not been able to review
15:17:51 [fjh]
… upon review can merge them
15:18:20 [fjh]
fjh: does this mean you have an implementation as well
15:18:37 [fjh]
anssik: cannot say right now about our plans
15:19:17 [fjh]
… not sure webkit implementation is shipping, Samsung people might know latest
15:19:18 [anssik]
15:19:48 [fjh]
fjh: I would like to get implementers looking at the test cases and see if we can get interop started
15:20:12 [fjh]
anssik: should probably check with Kihong Kwon
15:20:15 [Cathy]
Cathy has joined #dap
15:20:51 [fjh]
fjh: we need at least two real implementations to exit CR
15:21:10 [fjh]
anssik: vibration is turned on Chrome but not the others as far as I know
15:21:27 [fjh]
fjh: does it match latest, 2nd CR of Vibration
15:21:40 [fjh]
anssik: yes, it matches the latest (afaik)
15:21:53 [fjh]
… Gecko may need revision
15:22:21 [fjh]
… Justin Lebar has moved roles, so need to know who is working on this now
15:22:29 [Cathy]
Present+ Cathy_Chan
15:22:34 [fjh]
fjh: I'll check offline
15:22:50 [Cathy]
zakim, who is here?
15:22:50 [Zakim]
On the phone I see no one
15:22:51 [Zakim]
On IRC I see Cathy, jcdufourd, gmandyam, Zakim, RRSAgent, fjh, igarashi, mounir, anssik, Josh_Soref, slightlyoff, trackbot
15:24:20 [fjh]
anssik: I can check at TPAC about implementations and testing for Proximity, Light, Vibration
15:25:40 [Cathy]
Cathy has joined #dap
15:27:23 [fjh]
gmandyam: possible concern that device orientation may be changed to use promise based approach, yet some DAP specifications have not advanced.
15:28:19 [fjh]
fjh: Media capture TF has elected not to use promises
15:28:32 [fjh]
gmandyam: sys apps and web crypto have incorporated promises
15:28:35 [fjh]
fjh: right
15:29:00 [fjh]
gmandyam: issue is when promises will be stable and finalized
15:29:01 [anssik]
btw. IE11 added support for Device Orientation Events
15:29:37 [fjh]
gmandyam: other issue is functionality of device orientation, do we need consistency?
15:30:19 [fjh]
… android also supports device orientation events
15:31:17 [fjh]
… this microsoft approach is argument against a change from the event method we use in DAP, already deployed
15:31:55 [fjh]
Topic: Vibration
15:32:03 [fjh]
15:32:03 [trackbot]
ISSUE-156 -- add the [Clamp] attribute to the argument of the vibrate method -- open
15:32:03 [trackbot]
15:32:23 [fjh]
decided to defer on list since the underlying specification is not stable
15:32:32 [gmandyam]
To summarize: Changing DeviceOrientation from an EventTarget approach would likely by too large a change to be supported by implementations, given e.g. IE support for the spec as it stands.
15:32:48 [fjh]
close ACTION-670
15:32:48 [trackbot]
Closed ACTION-670.
15:32:54 [fjh]
15:32:54 [trackbot]
ACTION-670 -- Anssi Kostiainen to Review issue-156 and add clamp to vibration specification -- due 2013-11-07 -- CLOSED
15:32:54 [trackbot]
15:33:15 [fjh]
Topic: Network Service Discovery
15:33:25 [fjh]
Updated implementation using promises, (Jean-Claude)
15:33:36 [fjh]
Plan for PING privacy review in January
15:33:54 [fjh]
fjh: Rich will participate PING review, others welcome
15:34:09 [fjh]
fjh: we need to explain the spec, so anything we can do to clarify would be useful
15:34:32 [gmandyam]
Frederick - have to drop out. Hope to see everyone at TPAC.
15:35:07 [fjh]
Also arranging security issues discussion with WebAppSec to be followed by review
15:35:33 [fjh]
fjh: this will be a call, not TPAC
15:36:11 [fjh]
zakim, who is here?
15:36:11 [Zakim]
On the phone I see no one
15:36:12 [Zakim]
On IRC I see Cathy, jcdufourd, Zakim, RRSAgent, fjh, mounir, anssik, Josh_Soref, slightlyoff, trackbot
15:36:22 [fjh]
cannot discuss without Rich on call
15:36:44 [fjh]
cathy: stuck on whether to go forward with device support
15:36:51 [fjh]
fjh: waiting on Rich to respond to that thread
15:37:20 [fjh]
fjh: will ask Rich offline
15:37:46 [fjh]
Topic: Note publication
15:37:54 [fjh]
CfC concluded
15:38:19 [fjh]
action: anssik to prepare shelved Note publications after TPAC
15:38:21 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-671 - Prepare shelved note publications after tpac [on Anssi Kostiainen - due 2013-11-14].
15:39:05 [fjh]
Topic: Other Business
15:39:47 [fjh]
TPAC transport, shuttles will be best
15:44:17 [fjh]
Topic: Adjourn
15:44:21 [fjh]
rrsagent, generate minutes
15:44:21 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate fjh
15:45:19 [Zakim]
UW_DAP()10:00AM has ended
15:45:20 [Zakim]
Attendees were
15:45:32 [igarashi]
igarashi has joined #dap
17:37:03 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #dap