IRC log of i18n on 2013-02-07

Timestamps are in UTC.

15:41:38 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #i18n
15:41:38 [RRSAgent]
logging to
15:41:43 [Zakim]
Zakim has joined #i18n
15:41:49 [aphillip]
trackbot, prepare teleconference
15:41:51 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, make logs world
15:41:53 [trackbot]
Zakim, this will be 4186
15:41:53 [Zakim]
ok, trackbot; I see I18N_CoreWG()11:00AM scheduled to start in 19 minutes
15:41:54 [trackbot]
Meeting: Internationalization Working Group Teleconference
15:41:54 [trackbot]
Date: 07 February 2013
15:42:06 [aphillip]
15:42:09 [aphillip]
Regrets: Jan
15:42:22 [aphillip]
Regrets+ Kleinsin
15:42:42 [r12a]
15:42:50 [aphillip]
rrsagent, draft minutes
15:42:50 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate aphillip
15:43:16 [aphillip]
rrsagent, set logs world
15:43:32 [aphillip]
Chair: Addison Phillips
15:59:26 [Zakim]
I18N_CoreWG()11:00AM has now started
15:59:32 [Zakim]
16:01:28 [r12a]
zakim, dial richard please
16:01:28 [Zakim]
ok, r12a; the call is being made
16:01:30 [Zakim]
16:02:14 [r12a]
16:02:53 [r12a]
agenda+ Shepherding
16:03:03 [r12a]
agenda+ ITS2 directionality
16:03:11 [r12a]
agenda+ CharMod norm
16:03:31 [matial]
matial has joined #i18n
16:03:45 [r12a]
agenda+ CSS3 text decoration
16:03:51 [r12a]
16:04:06 [r12a]
zakim, who's here?
16:04:06 [Zakim]
On the phone I see aphillip, Richard
16:04:07 [Zakim]
On IRC I see matial, Zakim, RRSAgent, aphillip, r12a, trackbot
16:04:23 [DavidClarke]
DavidClarke has joined #i18n
16:04:35 [Zakim]
16:04:42 [Norbert]
Norbert has joined #i18n
16:04:59 [r12a]
agenda+ Review radar
16:05:10 [aphillip]
ScribeNick: Norbert
16:05:19 [Zakim]
16:05:20 [Zakim]
16:05:39 [matial]
zakim, ??p17 is me
16:05:39 [Zakim]
+matial; got it
16:06:06 [aphillip]
addison: this is an example
16:06:11 [aphillip]
... and this is the same person
16:06:47 [r12a]
16:06:48 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate aphillip
16:07:49 [aphillip]
Topic: Agenda
16:08:08 [aphillip]
Topic: Action Items
16:08:22 [aphillip]
16:10:00 [aphillip]
close action-177
16:10:00 [trackbot]
Closed ACTION-177 Establish scribing rotation.
16:10:19 [aphillip]
close action-178
16:10:19 [trackbot]
Closed ACTION-178 Coordinate proposing text for ITS directionality with richard.
16:10:33 [aphillip]
close action-179
16:10:33 [trackbot]
Closed ACTION-179 Publish BOM document.
16:10:46 [aphillip]
close action-180
16:10:46 [trackbot]
Closed ACTION-180 File individual comments on css3-text-decoration.
16:11:01 [aphillip]
Tipic: Info Share
16:11:12 [r12a]
Topic: Info share
16:11:24 [aphillip]
16:11:55 [Norbert]
Addison: TPAC will be in Shenzhen in November
16:12:23 [r12a]
John Klensin
16:12:28 [Norbert]
... we have new members: John Klensin, Aharon
16:12:30 [r12a]
Aharon Lanin (rejoined)
16:12:36 [r12a]
Ning Jin-Grisaffi
16:12:45 [r12a]
replaces Emile Tran
16:13:51 [Norbert]
Richard: put on pile:
16:13:57 [r12a]
16:14:30 [Norbert]
... overhauled index to unify topics
16:14:41 [r12a]
16:15:35 [Norbert]
... easier to get to details, easier to maintain
16:15:37 [r12a]
16:16:01 [Norbert]
... needed for linking
16:16:11 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate aphillip
16:17:12 [Norbert]
... make it easier to publish to-do information
16:17:36 [Norbert]
... and have people find it
16:18:33 [Norbert]
Topic: Shepherding
16:18:41 [aphillip]
zakim, take up 1
16:18:41 [Zakim]
I don't understand 'take up 1', aphillip
16:18:49 [aphillip]
zakim, take up agendum 1
16:18:49 [Zakim]
agendum 1. "Shepherding" taken up [from r12a]
16:19:02 [aphillip]
16:19:17 [aphillip]
16:19:20 [Norbert]
Addison: need to assign shepherds and reviews
16:20:05 [r12a]
CSS3-lists ishida
16:20:06 [r12a]
CSS3-ruby ishida
16:20:06 [r12a]
CSS3-text addison
16:20:07 [r12a]
CSS3-text-decoration addison
16:20:09 [r12a]
CSS3-writing-modes koji
16:20:11 [r12a]
Encoding addison
16:20:13 [r12a]
HTML5 addison
16:20:15 [r12a]
Notifications norbert
16:20:17 [r12a]
Polyglot felix
16:20:19 [r12a]
UTR50 aharon
16:20:21 [r12a]
xinclude felix
16:20:23 [r12a]
Contacts addison
16:20:25 [r12a]
CSS3-flexbox koji
16:20:27 [r12a]
ITS-20 felix
16:20:29 [r12a]
TURTLE addison
16:20:31 [r12a]
UTR20 ishida
16:20:33 [r12a]
WOFF john
16:20:35 [r12a]
SysappAlarms norbert
16:20:43 [aphillip]
16:22:13 [Norbert]
Addison: new reviews: XInclude 1.1, HTML+RDFa
16:22:43 [Norbert]
... assigned XInclude tentatively to Felix
16:23:01 [Norbert]
... not clear whether there's something to say about HTML+RDFa
16:23:33 [Norbert]
Norbert: how are we going to track this?
16:24:02 [Norbert]
Addison: will update review radar with shepherds
16:24:31 [aphillip]
ACTION: addison: add shepherds list to review radar page
16:24:31 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-181 - Add shepherds list to review radar page [on Addison Phillips - due 2013-02-14].
16:25:26 [Norbert]
Richard: when adding items to review radar, should send email to www-international
16:26:49 [Norbert]
... also, when reviews pass without comments, move to last box
16:27:26 [aphillip]
zakim, take up agendum 2
16:27:27 [Zakim]
agendum 2. "ITS2 directionality" taken up [from r12a]
16:27:30 [r12a]
16:27:38 [aphillip]
Topic: ITS 2.0 directionality
16:27:58 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate aphillip
16:29:01 [Norbert]
Richard: Norbert wrote draft:
16:29:05 [r12a]
- Remove "This section is informative."
16:29:18 [r12a]
- Replace the first Note with: "At the time of writing, enhancements are being discussed in the context of HTML that will change the approach to marking up directionality markup in HTML, especially to support content whose directionality needs to be isolated from the directionality of surrounding content. However, these enhancements are not finalized yet. This section therefore reflects directionality markup in HTML 4; enhancements in HTML5 will be r
16:29:18 [r12a]
eflected in a future revision."
16:30:36 [r12a]
- In 8.5.2, add a Note to the description of LOCAL use: "HTML does not have the "lro" and "rlo" values for its dir attribute, so these values are not used for HTML documents. HTML uses an inline bdo element instead.
16:31:21 [r12a]
- In the Note in 8.5.1, correct the value of the third bullet to "lro", and the description in the fourth bullet to "right-to-left override".
16:31:35 [r12a]
- In Appendix A, add a normative reference to HTML 4.01.
16:31:52 [r12a]
- Enhance example 46 with use of "rlo": Add to the description ", except that bdo elements with that attribute have right-to-left override content". Add a second rule: '<its:dirRule dir="rlo" selector="//bdo[@direction='rtlText']"/>'.
16:33:27 [aphillip]
zakim, agenda?
16:33:27 [Zakim]
I see 5 items remaining on the agenda:
16:33:29 [Zakim]
1. Shepherding [from r12a]
16:33:29 [Zakim]
2. ITS2 directionality [from r12a]
16:33:29 [Zakim]
3. CharMod norm [from r12a]
16:33:29 [Zakim]
4. CSS3 text decoration [from r12a]
16:33:29 [Zakim]
5. Review radar [from r12a]
16:34:34 [r12a]
also extend the example 45 to use bdo
16:34:35 [Norbert]
Action: Richard: send note with updated text for directionality to MLW-LT
16:34:35 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-182 - Send note with updated text for directionality to MLW-LT [on Richard Ishida - due 2013-02-14].
16:34:54 [aphillip]
zakim, take up agendum 3
16:34:54 [Zakim]
agendum 3. "CharMod norm" taken up [from r12a]
16:35:02 [aphillip]
16:35:42 [Norbert]
Addison: tried to fend off trolls on Unicode list
16:35:59 [Norbert]
... it's time to fix charmod-norm
16:36:32 [Norbert]
... current recommendations are not useful, but are misunderstood as W3C recommendations
16:36:53 [Norbert]
... should put together shorter charmod-norm
16:37:51 [Norbert]
Action: Addison: write draft of new charmod-norm
16:37:51 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-183 - Write draft of new charmod-norm [on Addison Phillips - due 2013-02-14].
16:39:04 [r12a]
rrsagent, help
16:40:02 [r12a]
trackbot, help
16:40:02 [trackbot]
Please see <> for help.
16:40:22 [aphillip]
zakim, take up agendum 4
16:40:22 [Zakim]
agendum 4. "CSS3 text decoration" taken up [from r12a]
16:40:42 [Norbert]
Addison: sent some comments to CSS privately:
16:41:05 [aphillip]
16:41:31 [Norbert]
... led to discussion, especially about ruby and emphasis marks
16:44:46 [Norbert]
... discussion within Amazon: emphasis marks should be in their own font to remain consistent
16:45:18 [Norbert]
... emphasis marks should stay close to text, so may have to alter position around ruby
16:46:33 [Norbert]
... other issue about underlining and white space
16:46:47 [Norbert]
... don't know what correct handling is for all writing systems
16:50:02 [aphillip]
chair: wg endorses?
16:50:11 [aphillip]
16:50:18 [Norbert]
16:50:20 [DavidClarke]
16:51:21 [Norbert]
Richard: mocked up some tests, features aren't implemented yet
16:51:41 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate aphillip
16:52:14 [aphillip]
Topic: AOB?
16:52:20 [r12a]
zakim, help
16:52:20 [Zakim]
Please refer to for more detailed help.
16:52:23 [Zakim]
Some of the commands I know are:
16:52:23 [Zakim]
xxx is yyy - establish yyy as the name of unknown party xxx
16:52:23 [Zakim]
if yyy is 'me' or 'I', your nick is substituted
16:52:23 [Zakim]
xxx may be yyy - establish yyy as possibly the name of unknown party xxx
16:52:23 [Zakim]
I am xxx - establish your nick as the name of unknown party xxx
16:52:23 [Zakim]
xxx holds yyy [, zzz ...] - establish xxx as a group name and yyy, etc. as participants within that group
16:52:25 [Zakim]
xxx also holds yyy - add yyy to the list of participants in group xxx
16:52:25 [Zakim]
who's here? - lists the participants on the phone
16:52:25 [Zakim]
who's muted? - lists the participants who are muted
16:52:25 [Zakim]
mute xxx - mutes party xxx (like pressing 61#)
16:52:25 [Zakim]
unmute xxx - reverses the effect of "mute" and of 61#
16:52:25 [Zakim]
is xxx here? - reports whether a party named like xxx is present
16:52:26 [Zakim]
list conferences - reports the active conferences
16:52:28 [Zakim]
this is xxx - associates this channel with conference xxx
16:52:28 [Zakim]
excuse us - disconnects from the irc channel
16:52:28 [Zakim]
I last learned something new on $Date: 2012/10/14 23:37:24 $
16:53:41 [Zakim]
16:53:42 [Zakim]
16:53:45 [Zakim]
16:53:48 [Zakim]
16:53:52 [aphillip]
Present: addison, richard, norbert, david, mati
16:53:59 [aphillip]
rrsagent, make minutes
16:53:59 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate aphillip
16:54:41 [aphillip]
rrsagent, bye
16:54:41 [RRSAgent]
I see 3 open action items saved in :
16:54:41 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: addison: add shepherds list to review radar page [1]
16:54:41 [RRSAgent]
recorded in
16:54:41 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: Richard: send note with updated text for directionality to MLW-LT [2]
16:54:41 [RRSAgent]
recorded in
16:54:41 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: Addison: write draft of new charmod-norm [3]
16:54:41 [RRSAgent]
recorded in