[Odrl-geospatial] GeoDRM

Steve Morris steven_morris at ncsu.edu
Wed Nov 3 01:54:21 EST 2004

The GeoDRM web site is at:
http://www.opengeospatial.org/groups/?iid=129   Note that the web site
expresses an interest in learning from the library experience, citing
Harlan Onsrud's article at: http://www.geoall.net/library_harlanonsrud.html

The initiative more or less kicked off in May with a GeoDRM workshop
co-led by the Open Geospatial Consortium (GC) and the GeoData Alliance:
http://www.geoall.net/upcomingevents.html   The FGDC the Open Data
Consortium Project are also involved.  There is a GeoDRM initiative
mailing list but it is closed to OGC members--we've been working at
membership status but are not there yet so I haven't been able to get at
the email archives.  See:
to get involved in this back in May but have been stuck on the
membership thing.

Apparently the initial "road map" of the working group is:

"1. to understand the scope of the issues. As a starting point the group
will work from the
DRM use cases studies carried out by the UK Joint Information Systems
Committee
(JISC). Governmental data providers, commercial data providers,
commercial system
providers, technology providers and systems integrators all need to be
involved in
developing the GeoDRM use cases.
2. to relate the identified use cases to existing, mainstream DRM solutions;
3. to ensure that the OGC specification will be compatible with GeoDRM
solutions
(possibly by providing 'hooks', such as a <PRICE> element, into the
developing OGC
service specifications);"  (cited from:
http://www.space.qinetiq.com/icp2/downloads/EOSIG-INF-RPT-003.pdf)

There was a solicitation of DRM use cases before that discussion but the
use case templates were restricted to member access--I'd hoped to
contribute some library use cases (consumption and licensing of a
services as opposed to just data is a growing issue for us)

I did get a chance to see a Powerpoint that showed the "DRM Playing
Field" from the GeoDRM perspective--it shows GeoDRM, ODRC, JISC DRM
work, and XRML as slightly overlapping areas on the same plan, inferring
that ODRL would be taken into consideration.  From my observation, the
geospatial industry often follows a particular pattern of technology
adoption and development:

1) identify problem to be solved
2) study solutions to that problem as found in other industries (comes
naturally to GIS as it is inherently cross-industry)
3) formulate a solution tailored to the needs of the geospatial industry
and sometimes 4) defer to an industry wide solution (deprecate or adapt
the geospatial-specific approach)

... #3 often comes before #4 because the complexity of  issues in the
geospatial industry often forces early innovation; or requires solutions
that reach beyond the mainstream approaches.

One thing to consider is the degree to which GeoDRM will cover or not
cover geospatial data rights issues outside the realm of OGC specs,
services, and OGC-related files (GML, etc.) ... e.g., covering straight
download of a shapefile from an FTP site.

It occurs to me that I saw a notice of a new GeoDRM related
survey--can't find the link at the moment but will send that if I can
find it.

Steve