[Odrl-cc] Re: Romeo Project

Mike Linksvayer ml at creativecommons.org
Tue Nov 30 13:18:30 EST 2004

Renato Iannella wrote:
> On of the issues from the Romeo Report [1] was the need to
> explicitly express all the usage permissions (such as play,
> print give, etc) as this is the basis of the ODRL permission
> model. (The model will be revised in Version 2.O to cater for
> new requirements [2].)
>
> There are two mechanisms that we could adopt to support this
> requirement.
> 1 - define a new Permission semantic to allow any "usage" permission
> 2 - imply that by using the ODRL/CC Profile, all permissions are
>     allowed except those specified in the expression.
>
> Is there any preferences? (or other options?)

CC RDF doesn't do either, but rather permissions can be thought of as a
diff against default copyright rules, which sort of allow nothing, and
requirements and prohibitions can be thought of as limits on the
permissions granted.

Taking the example of http://creativecommons.org/licesnes/by-nc/2.0/,
reproduction, distribution and derivative works are explicitly allowed,
on the condition that attribution is given and commercial use is not
made.  Uses outside of reproduction, distribution, and derivative works
are not permitted (although these three cover all interesting
permissions I can think of).

--
   Mike Linksvayer
   http://creativecommons.org/about/people#21