[Odrl-version2] Response to Susanne Guth's mail New ODRLv2 Model Semantics``

Susanne Guth Susanne.Guth at gmx.net
Tue May 30 07:46:22 EST 2006

Hi Vicky,

thanks for your comments. I try them today:

1.) I added explanations to the document types. Thanks for the good hint. I think that your contribution is required for the Model and the Core Profile. However, I think it might make sense to open up new documents for your contribution. What do you think?

2.) I think of a fragment as something incomplete. However, a statement can still be a complete rights expression with parties, permissions, constraints, etc. and then fragment would not really fit. Maybe we find some other term?

3.) Well the rights holder kind of disappeared. In our previous draft, we had the relationship of the rightsholder. Renato, Alapan why was that removed again? How do we express, I own my music file?

Vicky, a Request usually provokes an offer. The offer then should include an assigner. Therefore, I might make sense to already include the assigner in the request. It might happen, that a rights expression without an assigner are not valid. For example, if the application needs to validate the assigners certificate before rendering.

You write: "If both requests give the same answer;..." a request does not give an answer, because it is a request. Only tickets, agreements, nextrights, and statements can "give an answer" or grant rights.

Bottom line: I think we should stick with "one owner per asset".

4.) Hi Vicky, I very much like the comment about you "# of Actions". I noticed this mistake earlier and already changed the cardinalities to 1 - 1, but I am happy that somebody is looking into this in detail, too! :) Keep it up!

5.) I agree, that the negotiation process maybe requires more detail. Alapan, how does the process look like, and how can we indicate negotiable attributes? Did you already state that in one of your documents?

6.) Vicky I don't see that we can not express "consumer is over 18 years of age" or "consumer must have a valid driver's license." We would simply chose the constraint name accordingly. E.g. ( age_consumer >= 18 ) or ( valid_driverslicense == TRUE)

7.) I also don't see your concerns with the duties. We only have duties now, so that we CAN express your examples. "if the user plays a movie, then she must pay 5 dollars at the end of the month" --> permission= play, asset = a movie, duty = pay, object (of duty) = 5 dollars, constraint (of duty) = by the end of the month. I the duty is not fulfilled then the permission is not granted. Does that make sense?

Please have a look at this issue
<http://www.odrl.net/2.0/issues/issueslist-1_10.html>
and let me know if you have further questions on duties, requirements. I am sure the new model is not more restrictive...

So long
Susanne