[Odrl-version2] New ODRL v2.0 Model

Steven Rowat Steven_Rowat at sunshine.net
Fri Mar 10 14:45:27 EST 2006

Greetings,

Further comments on the v. 2 model after reading the examples:

1.
Statement. My apologies. Now I understand: it could be used as a template.

2. Offer/Agreement.
Overall concern about flow in the scenario diagrams: could it be possible to set them up so they flow left-right, or top-bottom, in the same way that the code will flow? Or in some otherwise relatively straightforward order? I find in looking at the two diagrams Offer and Agreement that I don't know where to start, and where to go, in order to figure out what is going on.

For example, in the Offer, my inclination would be to start with Fred, and put him top or left, since the music file wouldn't exist without him. And he's offering something. It's a music file. It has constraints and duties. So sequence might be something like:
Fred -> offers -> a music file -> which can be copied -> (but only once) -> for $.50

or using the ODRL terms, but in the same order:

Party (Fred) -> Rights (offer) ->Asset (music file) -> Permission (copy) ->
          Constraint (once) -> Duty ($.50)

For me, this seems to work in this case. Maybe it will break down in larger ones; not sure.

Otherwise, it all seems good.

Unleash it on the world!   :-)

Steven Rowat