[Odrl-version2] RE: ODRL-Version2 Digest, Vol 17, Issue 7

Vicky Weissman vickyw at cs.cornell.edu
Thu Jun 15 00:11:57 EST 2006

Hi,

I'm sorry to keep pressing, maybe I'm just being dense, but I'm still
confused.  Are the following 2 agreements the same?  If not, what is the
difference (in English)?  Can you give me an example where one agreement
implies that Alice may download F, and the other does not?  If the agreements
are the same, then why complicate the model by allowing constraints to be
assigned to duties?  (Note: the first agreement has the constraint c
associated with the duty d, the second has the same constraint c associated
with the permission download.)

Party=Alice
Perm=Download
Asset=F
Duty=d
Duty.Constraint=c

Party=Alice
Perm=Download
Asset=F
Duty=d
Perm.Constraint=c

If we set the Boolean Duty.Relax=True, then that means the user is obligated
to fulfill the duty sometime (anytime!) in the future.  So we can't use
duties to obligate a user to do something at a certain time after the right
has been exercised (e.g., unlocking a resource within 48 hours of acquiring
the lock). Yes?