[Odrl-version2] New ODRL v2.0 Model

Susanne Guth Susanne.Guth at gmx.net
Sun Jan 29 01:46:48 EST 2006

Stefan, Alapan, everybody!

Please have a short look at an early paper from myself. I defined the
various term, ticket, right, contract, etc.

Maybe we can adapt some term officially for the ODRL community, so that we
can be clear in future?

What do you think?

<http://wi.wu-wien.ac.at/~guth/toward_contract_frmwrk.pdf>
see Chapter 5

Susanne

> Hi,
> Comments for Steven's email:
> >
> > 1. Bidding would probably be a large-scale addition and if so might slow
> down dissemination of ODRL at a critical time.
> Not really - bidding is just an extension to the type elements and thus
> has no real effect on the overall license structure.
> >
> > 2. What is a "ticket" in your revamped model (or, for that matter, in
> the original version 2. I admit I've forgotten)? How is it different from
> "contract"?
> A ticket in both models is essentially the same as a ticket for a
> concert, the bus etc - it gives the bearer a set of rights from the
> rights holder; and the bearer is not a defined party (so I could give
> you my ticket and you will have access).
> > 3. The use of the word 'contract' will be appropriate for negotiations
> between corporations and bureacracies, but might put off the average
> consumer wishing to download music or a few pages of text, say. In this
situation,
> in my opinion, "Agreement" is much more user-friendly. Admittedly, the
> average user will not need to be looking under the hood, so "Agreement"
could
> be used in pull-down menus etc., and 'contract' in the actual code. But
> still, it would be more clean to have the same word used at both levels,
> unless there is a legal reason why the word 'contract' has to be used; I
suspect
> that there is not. ("A rose by any other name would smell as sweet").
> >
> Agreed - but I think it is also a problem with current DRM systems - DRM
> systems are enforcement of license contracts not copyright - I think it
> is better for consumers to know and accept the fact instead of the
> current scenario where no-one knows what the exact situation is?
> > 4. Section 4.5, "Other Issues": Unfortunately in all of these I seem to
> understand too little about the situation to see a problem. I think I'll
> take the 'glass-is-half-full' approach and treat this as evidence that
ODRL 2