[Odrl-version2] RE: ODRL-Version2 Digest, Vol 12, Issue 5

Vicky Weissman vickyw at cs.cornell.edu
Wed Jan 18 05:59:41 EST 2006

<Alapan Arnab>
I do not see why licenses for a particular object should be evaluated as a
set - because there could be specific reasons for having multiple licenses
(different validity dates for example).

<Vicky Weissman>
In ODRL v. 1.1, an agreement can grant a right based on whether a permission
does (or does not) hold.  If ODRL v 2.0 keeps this feature, then some
interactions between agreements seem unavoidable.

I think the v2.0 specification should formally define when a permission
(e.g., Alice may download the file) or prohibition follows from a set of
agreements.  Riccardo and I took a stab at this for v1.0 in the journal paper
I sent out yesterday, but whether our design decisions best meet the needs of
the community... I just don't know.

Best,
Vicky