[Odrl-version2] New ODRL v2.0 Model

Susanne Guth Susanne.Guth at gmx.net
Tue Feb 7 02:11:24 EST 2006

Hi Alapan, all!

> On this point, I think your proposed model (my comments on that are on a
> separate email) does fulfil the requirements.

Great, so I assume there are no major objectitons to the new model layout.
I will then describe a new draft of the ODRL v2 model and put it on the ODRL
web site. A new round of "request for comments" will start from there.

>2.)
>>On page 2 you write "there is some mandatory information". Can you be
>>more concrete on this. What exactly is really mandatory? Do we have a
>>contract expert among us? I know that in Germany, for example, contracts
>>are formless. What is your source for the information 2.1, 2.2, 2.3., ..
>>can you refer to some business standards document?

> As I wrote in a footnote earlier, the basis for my discussion in on
> South African law, which in turn is based on common law and Roman-Dutch
> law. I did rely on a law text book (ref 11) which is used to teach first
> year contract law for the basics, but I do intend going over section 2
> with a law professor from my university once I get back next week.

Alapan, this is an important issue and comes up again and again. I myself
tried to gather mandatory legal and business relevant attributes of
contracts, without much success. lawyers kept on telling me, that there are
no mandatory attributes or standard sets of attributes for contracts.
Furthermore there are different attributes in different contract types
(agreement for sale, marriage agreement, etc.)

But maybe you have more luck than I do. Please share your new knowledge with
us and maybe we can make a statement on the ODRL website on it.

So long
Susanne

--
Susanne Guth