IRC log of webperf on 2012-01-11

Timestamps are in UTC.

17:46:40 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #webperf
17:46:40 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2012/01/11-webperf-irc
17:46:42 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, make logs world
17:46:42 [Zakim]
Zakim has joined #webperf
17:46:44 [trackbot]
Zakim, this will be WPWG
17:46:45 [trackbot]
Meeting: Web Performance Working Group Teleconference
17:46:45 [trackbot]
Date: 11 January 2012
17:46:45 [Zakim]
I do not see a conference matching that name scheduled within the next hour, trackbot
18:02:27 [tonyg]
tonyg has joined #webperf
18:03:13 [plh]
plh has joined #webperf
18:03:23 [plh]
zakim, this is per
18:03:23 [Zakim]
ok, plh; that matches RWC_web-per()1:00PM
18:03:27 [Zakim]
+Plh
18:03:27 [JatinderMann]
present+ TonyG
18:03:32 [JatinderMann]
present+ Arvind
18:03:35 [JatinderMann]
present+ JatinderMann
18:03:42 [JatinderMann]
present+ KarenAnderson
18:03:47 [JatinderMann]
present+ plh
18:08:07 [JatinderMann]
Topics: Spec and Test Updates from last week
18:08:42 [Zakim]
+chris
18:09:00 [simonjam]
simonjam has joined #webperf
18:10:50 [JatinderMann]
Jatinder: Karen and I have updated the Page Visibility, and Timing specs to complete Action items 59, 61, 64 and 74.
18:11:00 [JatinderMann]
Jatinder: Please review those changes.
18:11:21 [JatinderMann]
Jatinder: Karen has pushed out two test cases in Action 21 and 75.
18:12:42 [JatinderMann]
Close ACTION 19
18:12:54 [JatinderMann]
http://www.w3.org/2010/webperf/track/actions/18
18:12:55 [plh]
close action-19
18:12:56 [trackbot]
ACTION-19 Investigate tests around persistent connections closed
18:13:20 [JatinderMann]
http://www.w3.org/2010/webperf/track/actions/19
18:14:01 [JatinderMann]
Arvind: Let's go through Navigation Timing open items and see what remains.
18:16:43 [plh]
close action-19
18:16:43 [trackbot]
ACTION-19 Investigate tests around persistent connections closed
18:16:52 [JatinderMann]
Tony: I'm inclined to say that persistent connections isn't a part of HTML5 spec and probably can't be tested. Let's close
18:16:57 [JatinderMann]
close action-18
18:16:57 [trackbot]
ACTION-18 Follow up on test coverage and propose new test cases. closed
18:17:19 [JatinderMann]
http://www.w3.org/2010/webperf/track/actions/57
18:19:50 [JatinderMann]
http://www.w3.org/2010/webperf/track/actions/75
18:21:58 [JatinderMann]
http://w3c-test.org/webperf/tests/approved/navigation-timing/html5/test_timing_attributes_order.html
18:26:21 [JatinderMann]
Tony: Future test cases should always go to submission folder for review prior to moving to approval folder.
18:27:27 [JatinderMann]
Jatinder: Let's keep action-75 open so that we can fix the typo thats causing the test to fail.
18:28:26 [plh]
http://w3c-test.org/webperf/tests/approved/navigation-timing/html5/test_navigation_type_reload.html
18:33:18 [JatinderMann]
Jatinder: Karen to update test_navigation_type_reload.html and test_timing_attributes_order.html to fix the resource issue and Tony will review.
18:33:20 [JatinderMann]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-web-perf/2012Jan/0008.html
18:34:48 [JatinderMann]
Jatinder: What are the WG's thoughts on client authentication modal dialogs? Users could impact aggregate timing by sitting on a modal dialogs.
18:41:02 [JatinderMann]
Tony: There are other slow javascript dialogs, alerts that could also impact the overall timing.
18:41:44 [JatinderMann]
Jatinder: I don't think we would want to throw away the client authentication time, as the overall performance timeline shouldn't be impacted. Our options might be to include a new phase.
18:42:09 [JatinderMann]
...we expect the client authentication dialogs to occur between connectStart and responseEnd.
18:44:00 [JatinderMann]
Arvind: HTTP Client authentication might have smaller usage as time goes on.
18:44:26 [JatinderMann]
...We should be able to get data to see how many webpages in the world use this feature.
18:45:32 [JatinderMann]
Tony: We need a spec update here regardless. Either we add the new phases or how our current phases work around this.
18:46:07 [JatinderMann]
Arvind: Well, the problem still exists for proxy servers. There may be many more such small edge cases like this.
18:47:33 [JatinderMann]
Arvind: Either we create a new parallel time for authentication. I don't think we should broaden the scope of redirects.
18:52:26 [JatinderMann]
Jatinder: Arvind will follow up with data on how common these issues are and see if we even want to make any change here.
18:52:38 [JatinderMann]
Arvind: I think we should target getting this spec to PR.
18:53:19 [JatinderMann]
Jatinder: Let's plan to update all test cases for next week and target entering PR then.
18:53:26 [JatinderMann]
Tony: I agree with that plan.
18:55:30 [Zakim]
- +1.650.253.aabb
18:55:31 [Zakim]
-[Microsoft]
18:55:32 [Zakim]
-chris
18:55:49 [Zakim]
- +1.404.978.aaaa
18:55:52 [Zakim]
-Plh
18:55:53 [Zakim]
RWC_web-per()1:00PM has ended
18:55:54 [Zakim]
Attendees were +1.404.978.aaaa, [Microsoft], +1.650.253.aabb, Plh, chris
19:00:36 [JatinderMann]
zakim, generate minutes
19:00:36 [Zakim]
I don't understand 'generate minutes', JatinderMann
19:00:43 [JatinderMann]
rrsagent, generate minutes
19:00:43 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2012/01/11-webperf-minutes.html JatinderMann
20:46:37 [plh]
plh has left #webperf
22:31:33 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #webperf