IRC log of i18n on 2011-11-23

Timestamps are in UTC.

15:56:30 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #i18n
15:56:30 [RRSAgent]
logging to
15:56:38 [Zakim]
Zakim has joined #i18n
15:56:46 [aphillip]
trackbot, prepare teleconference
15:56:48 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, make logs world
15:56:50 [trackbot]
Zakim, this will be 4186
15:56:50 [Zakim]
ok, trackbot; I see I18N_CoreWG()11:00AM scheduled to start in 4 minutes
15:56:51 [trackbot]
Meeting: Internationalization Core Working Group Teleconference
15:56:51 [trackbot]
Date: 23 November 2011
15:57:15 [aphillip]
15:57:21 [aphillip]
Chair: Addison Phillips
15:57:25 [aphillip]
Scribe: Addison Phillips
15:57:35 [aphillip]
ScribeNick: aphillip
15:57:38 [aphillip]
rrsagent, set logs world-visible
15:57:43 [aphillip]
rrsagent, draft minutes
15:57:43 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate aphillip
15:58:47 [aphillip]
Regrets: Felix
15:59:06 [Zakim]
I18N_CoreWG()11:00AM has now started
15:59:06 [aphillip]
15:59:13 [Zakim]
15:59:21 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate aphillip
15:59:25 [matial]
zakim, ??P0 is me
15:59:25 [Zakim]
+matial; got it
16:00:07 [Zakim]
16:00:43 [David]
I'm having some phone problems.
16:00:43 [stpeter]
dialing in now
16:01:11 [r12a]
r12a has joined #i18n
16:01:24 [prashant]
prashant has joined #i18n
16:02:17 [r12a]
zakim, dial richard please
16:02:17 [Zakim]
ok, r12a; the call is being made
16:02:18 [Zakim]
16:02:22 [Zakim]
+ +1.720.256.aaaa
16:02:30 [Zakim]
16:03:13 [r12a]
zakim, who's here ?
16:03:13 [Zakim]
On the phone I see matial, Addison_Phillips, Richard, stpeter, anne
16:03:14 [Zakim]
On IRC I see prashant, r12a, Zakim, RRSAgent, David, matial, aphillip, stpeter, TANU, MikeSmith, anne, trackbot
16:04:46 [aphillip]
Topic: Agenda
16:04:57 [aphillip]
- felix blog post
16:05:14 [aphillip]
- jlreq document
16:05:23 [aphillip]
Topic: Action Items
16:06:00 [r12a]
16:06:23 [aphillip]
close ACTION-79
16:06:23 [trackbot]
ACTION-79 Draft a blog post about HTML5 need for translate attribute, including why a language attribute can't do it closed
16:06:56 [aphillip]
Topic: Info Share
16:07:07 [kojiishi]
kojiishi has joined #i18n
16:07:16 [r12a]
16:07:24 [aphillip]
richard: test framwork stuff moving along
16:07:29 [aphillip]
.... not complete
16:07:35 [aphillip]
... one of several planning ot put up
16:07:50 [aphillip]
... need some coding on framework to allow to work without manual intervention
16:07:53 [r12a]
16:07:57 [aphillip]
... no one to do that
16:07:59 [Zakim]
16:08:05 [aphillip]
richard: results summary pages
16:08:07 [Norbert]
Norbert has joined #i18n
16:08:37 [aphillip]
... will offer to html5 folks to allow in their test suites
16:09:06 [aphillip]
Topic: IRI Progress and Status Report from IETF82
16:10:12 [aphillip]
peter: had a session at IETF meeting
16:10:28 [aphillip]
... didn't talk much about work to be done at w3
16:10:40 [aphillip]
... mostly work on 3987bis and 4395bis
16:10:57 [aphillip]
... no one complained that W3C would work on iri reference/parsting document
16:11:03 [aphillip]
16:11:14 [Zakim]
16:11:16 [aphillip]
... if anyone would like to provide feedback, need to get clear on that
16:11:19 [David]
David has joined #i18n
16:11:23 [kojiishi]
zakim, ??p13 is me
16:11:23 [Zakim]
+kojiishi; got it
16:11:50 [aphillip]
richard: help to step back of outline of the documents
16:12:13 [aphillip]
peter: had discussions about spinning up IRI WG
16:12:33 [aphillip]
... wanted a document about parsing IRIs and URIs
16:12:45 [aphillip]
... not something we've succeeded in IRI WG
16:12:51 [aphillip]
... so move to W3C??
16:13:14 [aphillip]
peter: other items on IETF's plate
16:13:19 [aphillip]
... mainly 3987bis
16:13:27 [aphillip]
... most difficult issues are:
16:13:27 [r12a]
16:13:37 [aphillip]
... protocol vs. presentation element
16:13:52 [aphillip]
... other issues, minor wording changes
16:14:00 [aphillip]
... Larry Masinter and Martin Duerst working on that
16:14:07 [aphillip]
peter: also have 4396-bis
16:14:15 [aphillip]
... procedures for registering URI schemes
16:14:24 [aphillip]
... updating to fit IRIs into that world
16:14:46 [aphillip]
... and process related issues/descriptions in line with best practice and consensus on how it should work
16:14:53 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate aphillip
16:15:05 [aphillip]
... make it easier to register schems
16:15:15 [aphillip]
16:15:15 [aphillip]
peter: some split out items
16:15:19 [aphillip]
... one on bidi processing
16:15:29 [aphillip]
... one on processing-but-not-parsing
16:15:35 [Zakim]
16:15:38 [aphillip]
... may merge back to 3987bis
16:15:59 [aphillip]
peter: hope to finish early next year
16:16:11 [aphillip]
addison: done means go to last call?
16:16:17 [David]
zakim, mute me
16:16:17 [Zakim]
David should now be muted
16:16:35 [aphillip]
peter: yes. (explains IETF process)
16:16:42 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate aphillip
16:18:08 [anne]
16:18:13 [anne]
is one such document
16:18:24 [r12a]
document about how to properly parse an iri into constituent bits (Barth document)
16:18:29 [Zakim]
16:19:15 [anne]
abarth actually started from scratch
16:19:38 [stpeter]
16:19:42 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate aphillip
16:20:33 [aphillip]
peter: discussion with paul and sam at tpac
16:20:44 [aphillip]
... want to pull out into separate document and work from there
16:21:24 [r12a]
... mike smith was going to take the point on this
16:21:33 [r12a]
... would be referenced by other specs
16:22:10 [aphillip]
addison: just concerned that someone is on receiving end
16:22:25 [aphillip]
peter: mike stepped up, we/html needs to figure out
16:22:39 [aphillip]
richard: mike also had some questions
16:24:05 [aphillip]
addison: do you see core spec dependent on parsing spec?
16:24:19 [aphillip]
peter: no, but needs to coordinate, pay attention to same issues
16:28:27 [aphillip]
anne: needs to be a REC
16:28:56 [aphillip]
... unclear why split out from IRI?
16:36:59 [aphillip]
ACTION: addison: invite mike or set up supplementary call to discuss progress on IRI
16:37:00 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-82 - Invite mike or set up supplementary call to discuss progress on IRI [on Addison Phillips - due 2011-11-30].
16:37:44 [aphillip]
richard: ask if a better day/time
16:38:13 [aphillip]
s/mike/mike and martin/
16:39:20 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate aphillip
16:39:43 [Zakim]
16:39:55 [aphillip]
Topic: JLReq
16:40:01 [Zakim]
16:40:06 [aphillip]
richard: heads up
16:40:19 [aphillip]
... next tuesday will publish new working draft of JLReq
16:40:42 [aphillip]
... task force is keen to press ahead
16:40:54 [aphillip]
... not clear if WG needs to approve
16:41:04 [aphillip]
Chair: any objections to publishing this document?
16:41:40 [r12a]
16:42:19 [aphillip]
richard: plan is to publish so we have dated version of WD, but short name will take you to the old version
16:43:08 [aphillip]
... changes are there is a part 4
16:43:17 [anne]
anne has left #i18n
16:43:36 [aphillip]
koji: agree to publish
16:43:42 [aphillip]
mati: don't disagree
16:43:56 [aphillip]
norbert: no objections to publishing a WG
16:44:05 [aphillip]
chair: WG approves publication
16:44:14 [aphillip]
s/a WG/a WD/
16:44:19 [aphillip]
rrsagent, draft minutes
16:44:19 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate aphillip
16:44:52 [aphillip]
Topic: Review Felix's Blog Entry
16:44:53 [aphillip]
16:45:43 [aphillip]
richard: read and think it is pitched incorrectly
16:46:02 [aphillip]
... what we really need is something that summarizes pros/cons in bugzilla thread
16:46:21 [aphillip]
... so we can get MS and Google people on same page
16:46:42 [aphillip]
norbert: can't tell with @translate would do/not do
16:46:47 [aphillip]
... from article
16:46:59 [aphillip]
addison: need examples
16:47:37 [aphillip]
richard: first part of second para... this is not a problem of translation agenices (etc.)
16:47:51 [aphillip]
... is a problem for them, but needs to be solved before it gets to them
16:48:04 [aphillip]
norbert: they do care, but cannot fix it
16:48:39 [aphillip]
richard: obtained a contact at google about this topic
16:49:21 [aphillip]
ACTION: richard: talk to felix about fixing draft of blog article on 'translate' attribute
16:49:21 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-83 - Talk to felix about fixing draft of blog article on 'translate' attribute [on Richard Ishida - due 2011-11-30].
16:49:47 [aphillip]
Topic: ECMAScript Globalization Progress
16:50:04 [aphillip]
norbert: lot going on last week
16:50:15 [aphillip]
... had meeting of i18n ad hoc to work on standard
16:50:28 [aphillip]
... discussion was focused on making things less specified
16:50:43 [aphillip]
... allowed for alternative algorithm for "best fit"
16:50:54 [aphillip]
norbert: went to TC39 next day
16:51:01 [aphillip]
... and they feel things are too loosely specified
16:51:11 [aphillip]
... and they want same behaviro for a given locale
16:51:36 [aphillip]
norbert: lots of discussion
16:51:43 [aphillip]
... in particular setting global locale
16:51:52 [aphillip]
... bu tther eare problems with that
16:52:03 [aphillip]
norbert: want pattern or skeleton instead of options
16:52:12 [aphillip]
s/want/another person wants/
16:52:23 [aphillip]
... still working on es-discuss to try and resolve
16:53:26 [aphillip]
s/bu ther/but there/
17:07:20 [aphillip]
Topic: AOB?
17:07:46 [Zakim]
17:07:49 [Zakim]
17:07:50 [Zakim]
17:08:00 [aphillip]
rrsagent, make minutes
17:08:00 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate aphillip
17:08:04 [Zakim]
17:08:10 [aphillip]
zakim, who is here?
17:08:12 [Zakim]
On the phone I see Richard
17:08:15 [Zakim]
On IRC I see Norbert, kojiishi, r12a, Zakim, RRSAgent, aphillip, stpeter, MikeSmith, trackbot
17:08:18 [r12a]
zakim, drop richard
17:08:23 [Zakim]
Richard is being disconnected
17:08:27 [Zakim]
I18N_CoreWG()11:00AM has ended
17:08:31 [aphillip]
zakim, bye
17:08:32 [Zakim]
Attendees were matial, Addison_Phillips, Richard, +1.720.256.aaaa, stpeter, anne, Norbert, kojiishi, David
17:08:38 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #i18n
17:08:44 [aphillip]
rrsagent, make minutes
17:08:44 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate aphillip
17:08:47 [aphillip]
rrsagent, bye
17:08:47 [RRSAgent]
I see 2 open action items saved in :
17:08:47 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: addison: invite mike or set up supplementary call to discuss progress on IRI [1]
17:08:47 [RRSAgent]
recorded in
17:08:47 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: richard: talk to felix about fixing draft of blog article on 'translate' attribute [2]
17:08:47 [RRSAgent]
recorded in