IRC log of webfonts on 2011-02-09

Timestamps are in UTC.

14:59:16 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #webfonts
14:59:16 [RRSAgent]
logging to
14:59:18 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, make logs world
14:59:18 [Zakim]
Zakim has joined #webfonts
14:59:20 [trackbot]
Zakim, this will be 3668
14:59:20 [Zakim]
I do not see a conference matching that name scheduled within the next hour, trackbot
14:59:21 [trackbot]
Meeting: WebFonts Working Group Teleconference
14:59:21 [trackbot]
Date: 09 February 2011
14:59:58 [ChrisL]
uh-oh, Zakim is confused
15:00:17 [jfkthame]
"this conference is restricted at this time" ?
15:01:25 [ChrisL]
zakim thinks our booking is at the later time, 10pm france not 4pm france
15:01:33 [ChrisL]
15:01:51 [tal]
tal has joined #webfonts
15:02:27 [ChrisL]
ok, zakim is not confused. the agenda was confused about which week this is
15:02:35 [jfkthame]
15:02:49 [jfkthame]
ok, ttyl i guess!
15:02:55 [ChrisL]
last week was the earlier time, but last week was also cancelled
15:03:11 [ChrisL]
ChrisL has changed the topic to: Meeting is at the LATER time, this week
15:03:36 [ChrisL]
Vlad, see you in a few hours, then?
15:03:54 [tal]
tal has left #webfonts
15:03:54 [Vlad]
Why is this happening?
15:04:07 [ChrisL]
because this is a late week not an early week
15:04:16 [Vlad]
It shoes that our previous call (last week) has also been scheduled at 10 pm France
15:04:30 [Vlad]
Did we loose our altenate time schedule?
15:04:38 [ChrisL]
15:04:45 [ChrisL]
For 2 Feb I see
15:04:46 [ChrisL]
15:04:46 [ChrisL]
15:05:14 [ChrisL]
and for today I see
15:05:15 [ChrisL]
15:05:15 [ChrisL]
15:05:25 [Vlad]
So, if Feb. 02 hae been 10 pm, ths week shoudl be 4 pm CET, right?
15:05:25 [sylvaing]
my calendar is definitely on for 7am PST
15:05:26 [jfkthame]
for 2 feb i see both times
15:05:30 [ChrisL]
15:05:55 [ChrisL]
ah. yes, so do I
15:06:16 [jfkthame]
also both times for 16 feb and 23 feb
15:06:46 [sylvaing]
this is like some kind of quantum scheduling
15:06:55 [sylvaing]
meeting is in both states at the same time
15:07:03 [jfkthame]
or perhaps neither?
15:07:13 [sylvaing]
15:07:22 [jfkthame]
it's a heisenmeeting
15:07:25 [ChrisL]
I will need to talk to the admin staff to see what is happening
15:07:43 [sylvaing]
(insert Twilight Zone music)
15:08:06 [sylvaing]
(..and witty comment on the need for same-origin meeting time)
15:08:14 [Vlad]
So, what do we do for today? Do we reschedule for later or cancel until next week?
15:08:19 [sergeym]
sergeym has joined #webfonts
15:08:27 [ChrisL]
I suggest reschedule for later
15:08:44 [sylvaing]
but then what is meeting time next week ?
15:09:01 [Vlad]
Okay, I will send a notice to WG list
15:09:10 [ChrisL]
looking at the calendar over a longer period, it looks as if the later call has been scheduled weekly (despite what the booking says) and the earlier call every two weeks
15:09:38 [ChrisL]
I willtalk to the admin staff and get it sorted out
15:10:57 [sylvaing]
all right. so talk again in 6 hours today ?
15:11:37 [ChrisL]
15:12:43 [howcome]
howcome has joined #webfonts
15:13:49 [ChrisL]
in my personal calendar today was an early week, and it was set like that months ago
15:14:10 [sylvaing]
same here
15:14:46 [Vlad]
I just sent a msg to the WG list announcing the change for today, hope you guys can make it.
15:15:14 [Vlad]
Check the email
17:03:46 [sylvaing]
sylvaing has joined #webfonts
17:03:52 [ChrisL]
ChrisL has joined #webfonts
17:04:04 [sylvaing]
sylvaing has left #webfonts
17:24:42 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #webfonts
17:47:31 [stephan]
stephan has joined #webfonts
17:48:16 [stephan]
stephan has left #webfonts
18:31:38 [stephan]
stephan has joined #webfonts
19:57:29 [ChrisL]
ChrisL has joined #webfonts
20:55:16 [erik]
erik has joined #webfonts
20:58:40 [Vlad]
Vlad has joined #webfonts
20:59:55 [tal]
tal has joined #webfonts
21:02:40 [ChrisL]
trackbot, start telcon
21:02:42 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, make logs world
21:02:42 [Zakim]
Zakim has joined #webfonts
21:02:44 [trackbot]
Zakim, this will be 3668
21:02:44 [Zakim]
ok, trackbot; I see IA_Fonts()4:00PM scheduled to start 2 minutes ago
21:02:45 [trackbot]
Meeting: WebFonts Working Group Teleconference
21:02:45 [trackbot]
Date: 09 February 2011
21:03:44 [ChrisL]
zakim, who is here?
21:03:44 [Zakim]
IA_Fonts()4:00PM has not yet started, ChrisL
21:03:45 [Zakim]
On IRC I see tal, Vlad, erik, ChrisL, RRSAgent, jfkthame, trackbot
21:03:52 [ChrisL]
oh yes it has, Zakim
21:04:36 [jfkthame]
is zakim not paying attention to the phone today?
21:05:36 [ChrisL]
rrsagent, here
21:05:36 [RRSAgent]
21:06:45 [ChrisL]
actions at
21:06:51 [ChrisL]
Chair: Vlad
21:07:20 [ChrisL]
ScribeNick: ChrisL
21:07:28 [ChrisL]
Topic: Action Items
21:07:32 [ChrisL]
21:07:32 [trackbot]
ACTION-29 -- John Hudson to review woff faq with chris and vlad -- due 2010-10-06 -- OPEN
21:07:32 [trackbot]
21:07:49 [ChrisL]
Vlad: John sent in some good text, i made some comments
21:08:58 [ChrisL]
ChrisL: plan to add the text that John sent in, we can always further revise later
21:09:04 [ChrisL]
close action-29
21:09:04 [trackbot]
ACTION-29 Review woff faq with chris and vlad closed
21:09:26 [ChrisL]
action: chris to edit WOFF faq with Johns text incorporating Vlad's corrections
21:09:26 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-73 - Edit WOFF faq with Johns text incorporating Vlad's corrections [on Chris Lilley - due 2011-02-16].
21:09:35 [ChrisL]
21:09:36 [trackbot]
ACTION-48 -- Tal Leming to create UA test for bad metadata -- due 2010-11-24 -- OPEN
21:09:36 [trackbot]
21:09:45 [ChrisL]
close action-48
21:09:45 [trackbot]
ACTION-48 Create UA test for bad metadata closed
21:09:50 [ChrisL]
close action-49
21:09:50 [trackbot]
ACTION-49 Update UA test plan to include new "fringe" tests. closed
21:09:54 [ChrisL]
close action-50
21:09:54 [trackbot]
ACTION-50 Update font format test plan to include new "fringe" tests. closed
21:10:01 [ChrisL]
Tal: I did those
21:10:23 [ChrisL]
21:10:23 [trackbot]
ACTION-52 -- Chris Lilley to respond to erik muller on pronunciation and sorting -- due 2010-12-08 -- OPEN
21:10:23 [trackbot]
21:10:48 [ChrisL]
ChrisL: not done yet
21:11:11 [ChrisL]
21:11:11 [trackbot]
ACTION-57 -- Jonathan Kew to respons on issue-14 -- due 2011-01-26 -- OPEN
21:11:11 [trackbot]
21:11:22 [ChrisL]
jfkthame: still working on that one
21:11:29 [sergeym]
sergeym has joined #webfonts
21:11:44 [ChrisL]
Vlad: direction attributes inside element. But issue is text in attributes
21:13:28 [ChrisL]
Vlad: so our conclusion was that font vendor names don't need directin attributes anyway
21:13:51 [cslye]
cslye has joined #webfonts
21:14:38 [ChrisL]
Present: Vlad, Erik, Jonathan, Chris, Christopher, Sergey, Tal
21:15:18 [ChrisL]
jfkthame: direction applies to the attribute, the only thing you can't do ia add markup in attributes. We agreed to add direction to all elements
21:16:38 [ChrisL]
Vlad: and direction can be based on Unicode rules, for simple text
21:17:14 [ChrisL]
... Chris and Richard discussed but there was no conclusion
21:17:51 [ChrisL]
ChrisL: need to propose a solution to Richard and see what he says
21:18:14 [ChrisL]
21:18:14 [trackbot]
ACTION-58 -- Tal Leming to revise test cases to allow multiple credit elements -- due 2011-01-26 -- OPEN
21:18:14 [trackbot]
21:19:15 [ChrisL]
21:19:18 [trackbot]
ACTION-59 -- Chris Lilley to respond to I18n-ISSUE-2 -- due 2011-01-26 -- OPEN
21:19:18 [trackbot]
21:19:42 [sylvaing]
sylvaing has joined #webfonts
21:19:45 [ChrisL]
Chris: that one is easy, will do soon
21:19:52 [ChrisL]
21:20:05 [ChrisL]
21:20:05 [trackbot]
ACTION-61 -- Chris Lilley to provide samples and respond to I18n -- due 2011-01-26 -- OPEN
21:20:05 [trackbot]
21:20:45 [ChrisL]
ChrisL: ok so this is the div and span one
21:21:16 [ChrisL]
ChrisL: 62 is waiting for action-61
21:21:22 [ChrisL]
21:21:22 [trackbot]
ACTION-64 -- Jonathan Kew to remove normative statements from introduction to new section 'General Requirements' -- due 2011-01-26 -- OPEN
21:21:22 [trackbot]
21:21:29 [ChrisL]
jfkthame: done today
21:21:36 [ChrisL]
close action-64
21:21:36 [trackbot]
ACTION-64 Remove normative statements from introduction to new section 'General Requirements' closed
21:22:40 [ChrisL]
21:23:43 [ChrisL]
close action-64
21:23:43 [trackbot]
ACTION-64 Remove normative statements from introduction to new section 'General Requirements' closed
21:23:50 [ChrisL]
close action-66
21:23:51 [trackbot]
ACTION-66 Edit spec 'this element may be localised' replaced 'this element may be localised using text child element' closed
21:23:53 [ChrisL]
close action-67
21:23:53 [trackbot]
ACTION-67 Edit section 6, past paragraph: 'at least one text sub element' replaced by 'at least one text child element'. closed
21:23:55 [ChrisL]
close action-68
21:23:55 [trackbot]
ACTION-68 General replacement: 'sub elements' to 'child elements' closed
21:23:59 [ChrisL]
close action-70
21:23:59 [trackbot]
ACTION-70 Replace last sentence of section 7: End of Private Data block must correspond with the end of the last file. closed
21:24:20 [ChrisL]
close action-71
21:24:20 [trackbot]
ACTION-71 Clarify Bert Bos' Point 4 closed
21:24:25 [ChrisL]
close action-72
21:24:25 [trackbot]
ACTION-72 Respond to Bert Bos' Point 5. closed
21:25:10 [ChrisL]
ChrisL: still need to update disposition of comments document for these emails
21:25:32 [ChrisL]
... szilles accepted the comments that were sent
21:25:52 [ChrisL]
action chrisl to update disposition of comments
21:25:52 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-74 - Update disposition of comments [on Chris Lilley - due 2011-02-16].
21:26:02 [ChrisL]
topic: file format tests
21:27:10 [ChrisL]
tal: blanket 'is file valid' is not very good for debugging. many reasons for invalidity
21:27:23 [ChrisL]
... looking for a machine readable fault report
21:27:27 [ChrisL]
... to be linked to
21:27:58 [ChrisL]
... other than that, these are straightforward
21:28:17 [ChrisL]
tal: will work on authoring tool tests next. Not clear on best structure
21:28:32 [ChrisL]
... can give sfnt, xml and private then validate the output
21:29:04 [ChrisL]
... lots of things the spec says about padding, but rhe compression variability makes it hard to ensure they do the right thing
21:29:46 [ChrisL]
Vlad: we should review the format tests
21:29:59 [ChrisL]
tal: yes, though after spec updates are done
21:33:15 [ChrisL]
ChrisL: (explains last call exit and cr entrance policy in process)
21:34:00 [ChrisL]
topic: same origin restriction
21:34:25 [ChrisL]
Vlad: we don't have an official comment but we do have two implementors who say they won't implement
21:34:35 [ChrisL]
... so is this a last call comment or not
21:34:47 [ChrisL]
... better to sort it out before entering CR
21:34:52 [ChrisL]
ChrisL: agreed
21:35:13 [ChrisL]
Vlad: other opinions?
21:35:29 [ChrisL]
... Hakon made a proposal in email
21:36:03 [ChrisL]
cslye: agree with Vlad, need a more pointed discussion. currently we have implementors saying they will ignore it if its in the spec
21:36:19 [ChrisL]
... process is to get consensus first. we should resolve it
21:37:27 [ChrisL]
Vlad: so we have IE9 and Frefox who implemented it and Chrome may (Tab is not against)
21:37:40 [ChrisL]
sylvain: lets see when they check it in
21:37:50 [ChrisL]
Present+ sylvain
21:38:08 [ChrisL]
sylvain: need to split the mechanics from whether its a requirement or not
21:38:40 [ChrisL]
... do we feel some form of SOR is required or not
21:38:47 [ChrisL]
... several ways to solve it
21:39:12 [ChrisL]
Vlad: yes we need to solve this and get it behind us
21:40:06 [ChrisL]
cslye: dave singer said he would get back to us
21:41:47 [ChrisL]
Vlad: Maciej joined the WG recently, so its good to see further active participation from Apple
21:42:15 [ChrisL]
sylvaing: opera have not closed the door, they made a counter prooposal and are still talking
21:43:04 [ChrisL]
Vlad: (checks charter for specific mentionof SOR)
21:43:42 [ChrisL]
sylvaing: IE9 will ship with current solution, so even if we change later we have that to deal with
21:45:22 [ChrisL]
"This specification will reference the font formats in existing use (OpenType, WOFF, SVG, and EOT), the font referencing and linking specifications (in both CSS and XML serialisations), access policies such as same-origin and CORS, and define which linking mechanisms, policies and formats are required for compliance."
21:46:09 [ChrisL]
sylvaing: we also depend on CORS which is not a Rec. Even worse if we depend on a new thing not even FPWD yet
21:47:27 [ChrisL]
ChrisL: gan go to PR then holding pattern for Rec.
21:48:09 [ChrisL]
ChrisL: or put conformance in a separate spec
21:48:23 [ChrisL]
sylvaing: not want the format to be held back
21:49:06 [ChrisL]
Vlad: sooner the better
21:49:39 [ChrisL]
Topic: next calls
21:49:58 [ChrisL]
ChrisL: Zakim booking is correct again, same pattern as previously
21:50:46 [ChrisL]
Vlad: next telcon will be dedicated to the CORs/SOR issue
21:52:08 [ChrisL]
Vlad: some regrets in March due to travel
21:52:16 [ChrisL]
ChrisL: same for me first week of March
21:52:32 [cslye]
I can't do Mar 2 either, FWIW.
21:52:32 [ChrisL]
rrsagent, make minutes
21:52:32 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate ChrisL
21:53:01 [cslye]
cslye has left #webfonts
23:30:22 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #webfonts