IRC log of i18n on 2010-10-13

Timestamps are in UTC.

16:18:35 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #i18n
16:18:35 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2010/10/13-i18n-irc
16:18:44 [Zakim]
Zakim has joined #i18n
16:18:48 [aphillip]
zakim, this will be I18N
16:18:48 [Zakim]
ok, aphillip; I see I18N_CoreWG()12:30PM scheduled to start in 12 minutes
16:19:03 [aphillip]
RRSAgent, set logs world-visible
16:19:11 [aphillip]
Meeting: Internationalization Core Teleconference
16:19:19 [aphillip]
Chair: Addison Phillips
16:19:20 [aphillip]
Scribe: Addison Phillips
16:19:21 [aphillip]
ScribeNick: aphillip
16:19:43 [aphillip]
Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2010Oct/0003.html
16:19:47 [aphillip]
Regrets: Felix
16:19:52 [aphillip]
RRSAgent, make minutes
16:19:52 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2010/10/13-i18n-minutes.html aphillip
16:20:18 [aphillip]
RRSAgent, set logs world-visible
16:20:25 [aphillip]
RRSAgent, make minutes
16:20:25 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2010/10/13-i18n-minutes.html aphillip
16:27:16 [matial]
matial has joined #i18n
16:28:59 [Gwyneth]
Gwyneth has joined #i18n
16:29:32 [Zakim]
I18N_CoreWG()12:30PM has now started
16:29:39 [Zakim]
+[Microsoft]
16:29:43 [Zakim]
+Addison_Phillips
16:29:50 [r12a]
zakim, dial richard please
16:29:50 [Zakim]
ok, r12a; the call is being made
16:29:51 [Zakim]
+Richard
16:30:12 [Zakim]
+Mati
16:30:27 [Zakim]
+David
16:31:28 [Zakim]
+??P30
16:31:38 [kennyluck]
Zakim, ??P30 is kennyluck
16:31:38 [Zakim]
+kennyluck; got it
16:33:08 [aphillip]
Topic: Agenda
16:33:23 [Zakim]
+[IPcaller]
16:33:32 [aphillip]
Topic: Action Items
16:33:58 [aphillip]
David: set up doodle poll for when this meeting will be held following dst transition
16:33:59 [aphillip]
DONE
16:34:11 [aphillip]
richard: file 'translate' attribute request as a bug with HTML5
16:34:15 [aphillip]
DONE (yawn)
16:34:25 [aphillip]
Topic: Info Share
16:35:05 [aphillip]
Unicode Version 6.0 has been released
16:35:17 [aphillip]
the text next year, but the data is now posted
16:35:34 [aphillip]
richard: UniView 6.0 has been updated, including all of the images
16:35:38 [aphillip]
IUC34 next week
16:35:46 [aphillip]
richard looks forward to writing his talk
16:36:06 [aphillip]
http://www.unicodeconference.org/conference-at-a-glance.htm
16:36:28 [aphillip]
addison: my have regrets next week: talking about IRIs there
16:36:38 [kennyluck]
q+
16:36:46 [aphillip]
ack kennyluck
16:36:59 [aphillip]
Welcome Kenny to our group
16:37:15 [David]
zakim, mute David
16:37:15 [Zakim]
David should now be muted
16:37:19 [aphillip]
kenny: taiwanese, interested in CJK issues, especially CSS
16:37:23 [aphillip]
team member
16:37:34 [aphillip]
kenny: unicode 6 has emoji
16:37:58 [aphillip]
... listening to talk about emoji and issue that Earth symbol---which country in the middle?
16:38:21 [aphillip]
... (joking) need variant selector for which country in the middle
16:39:42 [aphillip]
richard: another new member who may work with JLTF
16:40:06 [aphillip]
Topic: What time is this call at?
16:40:28 [r12a]
Koan-Sin Tan , ITRI
16:40:35 [aphillip]
... is the new member
16:40:48 [David]
Zakim, unmute me
16:40:48 [Zakim]
David should no longer be muted
16:40:49 [r12a]
"ITRI is involved in EPUB
16:40:49 [r12a]
stuff and want work with people interested in vertical-writing mode
16:40:49 [r12a]
to push the progress of CSS writing modes and other stuff a bit, so
16:40:49 [r12a]
that we can have standard conformed ebooks.
16:40:49 [r12a]
"
16:40:52 [aphillip]
... related to ePub group
16:41:19 [aphillip]
Topic: What time is this call at?
16:41:25 [David]
http://doodle.com/participation.html?pollId=fhnhyyfm84fnyshy
16:41:55 [aphillip]
four time slots tied in the top tier
16:42:01 [r12a]
Regrets: Norbert, Felix
16:42:10 [aphillip]
... but only one is not blocked at all
16:42:16 [aphillip]
Wednesday 1500 UTC
16:43:32 [aphillip]
... appears to be the top non-blocked vote getter
16:43:41 [aphillip]
... Asia at a disadvantage here
16:43:46 [Aharon]
Aharon has joined #i18n
16:44:11 [aphillip]
other top times
16:44:17 [aphillip]
1400 and 1900Z on Wednesday
16:44:22 [aphillip]
1800 Tuesday
16:44:24 [Zakim]
+ +972.2.993.aaaa
16:45:17 [Aharon]
zakim, mute me
16:45:17 [Zakim]
sorry, Aharon, I do not know which phone connection belongs to you
16:46:39 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2010/10/13-i18n-minutes.html aphillip
16:46:53 [aphillip]
Topic: Widgets
16:47:05 [aphillip]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-core/2010OctDec/0068.html
16:47:08 [Aharon]
zakim, mute me
16:47:08 [Zakim]
Aharon should now be muted
16:47:22 [David]
zakim, mute me
16:47:22 [Zakim]
David should now be muted
16:49:59 [aphillip]
addison introduces topic...
16:51:13 [aphillip]
addison: propose...
16:51:23 [aphillip]
1. support Marcos's solution of returning LocalizedString
16:51:36 [aphillip]
2. ask again for means of obtaining locale
16:52:02 [aphillip]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-core/2010OctDec/0024.html
16:53:18 [r12a]
yay
16:53:22 [aphillip]
addison: support proposal?
16:53:31 [Aharon]
seems ok
16:53:47 [matial]
+1
16:54:02 [aphillip]
ACTION: addison: reply to widgets in favor of Marcos's solution and asking for locale to be returned to the API
16:54:15 [aphillip]
Topic: DOM3 Events
16:54:35 [Aharon]
zakim, unmute me
16:54:35 [Zakim]
Aharon should no longer be muted
16:55:17 [aphillip]
aharon: raised this issue already?
16:56:02 [aphillip]
addison: need to check if they did it as "feature at risk" or not, believe we need to raise as issue
16:56:06 [aphillip]
... need to check on it
16:56:27 [aphillip]
aharon: should it be event or global object or both?
16:57:44 [aphillip]
ACTION: aharon: check DOM3 events to see if they have included our issue about keyboard locale
16:57:57 [aphillip]
Topic: Review HTML5
16:59:03 [aphillip]
aharon: items closed were iffy items and don't feel that they are likely to be in HTML spec as a result
16:59:09 [aphillip]
.. line separator and scroll bars and such
16:59:32 [aphillip]
aharon: ubi, dir are not being rejected as of now, but useful discussion
16:59:53 [aphillip]
... should have opinion on whether attribute or element etc.
17:01:04 [r12a]
http://www.w3.org/International/reviews/html5-bidi/
17:01:07 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2010/10/13-i18n-minutes.html aphillip
17:01:59 [aphillip]
aharon: at least eight issues still under consideration
17:02:41 [aphillip]
richard: some items accepted
17:04:18 [aphillip]
addison: let's make sure we review the closed list
17:05:04 [aphillip]
ACTION: addison: propose time for some facetime at IUC34 to review HTML progress
17:05:30 [aphillip]
richard: raised some other bugs
17:05:34 [aphillip]
... one was wontfixed
17:05:40 [aphillip]
... exception for UTF-16
17:05:49 [aphillip]
... to allow it in charset= in <meta>
17:06:04 [aphillip]
... Henri S objected, Hixie wants to close
17:07:11 [aphillip]
... no in-document declaration other than BOM in UTF-16
17:07:24 [aphillip]
... we think this is a problem because can't visually inspect
17:11:06 [Aharon]
zakim, mute me
17:11:06 [Zakim]
Aharon should now be muted
17:11:09 [Zakim]
-Aharon
17:13:52 [Zakim]
+Aharon
17:14:10 [Aharon]
zakim, mute me
17:14:10 [Zakim]
Aharon should now be muted
17:19:44 [Aharon]
zakim, unmute me
17:19:44 [Zakim]
Aharon should no longer be muted
17:19:45 [aphillip]
table utf-16 issue for later consideration
17:20:04 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2010/10/13-i18n-minutes.html aphillip
17:20:27 [aphillip]
Topic: AOB?
17:20:35 [Aharon]
zakim, mute me
17:20:35 [Zakim]
Aharon should now be muted
17:20:40 [aphillip]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-core/2010OctDec/0070.html
17:22:04 [David]
zakim, unmute me
17:22:04 [Zakim]
David should no longer be muted
17:22:15 [Zakim]
-Gwyneth
17:22:18 [Zakim]
-aphillip
17:22:19 [Zakim]
-[IPcaller]
17:22:19 [Zakim]
-Aharon
17:22:21 [Zakim]
-David
17:22:23 [Zakim]
-Mati
17:22:29 [aphillip]
rrsagent, make minutes
17:22:29 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2010/10/13-i18n-minutes.html aphillip
17:22:30 [Zakim]
-Richard
17:22:34 [kennyluck]
Zakim, drop kennyluck.
17:22:34 [Zakim]
kennyluck is being disconnected
17:22:35 [Zakim]
I18N_CoreWG()12:30PM has ended
17:22:36 [Zakim]
Attendees were Richard, aphillip, Gwyneth, Mati, David, kennyluck, [IPcaller], +972.2.993.aaaa, Aharon
17:24:18 [aphillip]
rrsagent, make minutes
17:24:18 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2010/10/13-i18n-minutes.html aphillip
17:24:25 [aphillip]
zakim, bye
17:24:25 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #i18n
17:24:29 [aphillip]
rrsagent, bye
17:24:29 [RRSAgent]
I see 3 open action items saved in http://www.w3.org/2010/10/13-i18n-actions.rdf :
17:24:29 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: addison: reply to widgets in favor of Marcos's solution and asking for locale to be returned to the API [1]
17:24:29 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/10/13-i18n-irc#T16-54-02
17:24:29 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: aharon: check DOM3 events to see if they have included our issue about keyboard locale [2]
17:24:29 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/10/13-i18n-irc#T16-57-44
17:24:29 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: addison: propose time for some facetime at IUC34 to review HTML progress [3]
17:24:29 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/10/13-i18n-irc#T17-05-04