IRC log of RDB2RDF on 2009-11-17

Timestamps are in UTC.

16:56:41 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #RDB2RDF
16:56:41 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2009/11/17-RDB2RDF-irc
16:56:43 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, make logs world
16:56:43 [Zakim]
Zakim has joined #RDB2RDF
16:56:45 [trackbot]
Zakim, this will be 7322733
16:56:45 [Zakim]
ok, trackbot; I see SW_RDB2RDF()12:00PM scheduled to start in 4 minutes
16:56:46 [trackbot]
Meeting: RDB2RDF Working Group Teleconference
16:56:46 [trackbot]
Date: 17 November 2009
16:56:52 [mhausenblas]
Chair: Ahmed
16:57:02 [mhausenblas]
scribenick: mhausenblas
16:57:29 [Marcelo]
Marcelo has joined #rdb2rdf
16:57:41 [nunolopes]
Zakim, nunolopes is with mhausenblas
16:57:41 [Zakim]
sorry, nunolopes, I do not recognize a party named 'mhausenblas'
16:57:52 [mhausenblas]
Zakim, who's here?
16:57:52 [Zakim]
SW_RDB2RDF()12:00PM has not yet started, mhausenblas
16:57:53 [BenS]
zakim, LeeF is me
16:57:54 [Zakim]
On IRC I see Marcelo, Zakim, RRSAgent, Ahmed, whalb, angela_UNITN, jsequeda, batla, LeeF, BenS, hhalpin, nunolopes, mhausenblas, iv_an_ru, MacTed, trackbot, ericP
16:57:56 [Zakim]
sorry, BenS, I do not recognize a party named 'LeeF'
16:58:07 [Ahmed]
Ahmed has left #RDB2RDF
16:58:19 [JimM]
JimM has joined #RDB2RDF
16:58:33 [JimM]
JimM has left #RDB2RDF
16:58:43 [mhausenblas]
Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdb2rdf-wg/2009Nov/0036.html
16:59:22 [mhausenblas]
Previous: http://www.w3.org/2009/11/10-RDB2RDF-minutes.html
16:59:33 [mhausenblas]
regrets+ Richard Cyganiak
16:59:41 [soeren]
soeren has joined #RDB2RDF
16:59:57 [mhausenblas]
Zakim, who's here?
16:59:58 [Zakim]
SW_RDB2RDF()12:00PM has not yet started, mhausenblas
16:59:59 [Zakim]
On IRC I see soeren, Marcelo, Zakim, RRSAgent, whalb, angela_UNITN, jsequeda, batla, LeeF, BenS, hhalpin, nunolopes, mhausenblas, iv_an_ru, MacTed, trackbot, ericP
17:00:01 [ericP]
Zakim, please dial ericP-office
17:00:01 [Zakim]
ok, ericP; the call is being made
17:00:28 [Ashok]
Ashok has joined #rdb2rdf
17:00:36 [Souri]
Souri has joined #rdb2rdf
17:00:42 [BenS]
zakim, LeeF is me
17:00:42 [Zakim]
sorry, BenS, I do not recognize a party named 'LeeF'
17:01:36 [ericP]
Zakim, who is here?
17:01:36 [Zakim]
SW_RDB2RDF()12:00PM has not yet started, ericP
17:01:37 [Zakim]
On IRC I see Souri, Ashok, soeren, Marcelo, Zakim, RRSAgent, whalb, angela_UNITN, jsequeda, batla, LeeF, BenS, hhalpin, nunolopes, mhausenblas, iv_an_ru, MacTed, trackbot, ericP
17:01:56 [ericP]
Zakim, this is SW_RDB2RDF
17:01:56 [Zakim]
ok, ericP; that matches SW_RDB2RDF()12:00PM
17:02:01 [ericP]
Zakim, who is here?
17:02:01 [Zakim]
On the phone I see angela_UNITN (muted), whalb, ??P3, LeeF, mhausenblas, metatomix, EricP, +1.562.686.aaaa, [IPcaller], jsequeda, Souri, ??P22, ??P25
17:02:03 [Zakim]
On IRC I see Souri, Ashok, soeren, Marcelo, Zakim, RRSAgent, whalb, angela_UNITN, jsequeda, batla, LeeF, BenS, hhalpin, nunolopes, mhausenblas, iv_an_ru, MacTed, trackbot, ericP
17:02:03 [Seema]
Seema has joined #RDB2RDF
17:02:22 [hhalpin]
Zakim, hhalpin is ??P25
17:02:22 [Zakim]
sorry, hhalpin, I do not recognize a party named 'hhalpin'
17:02:28 [ericP]
Zakim, ??P22 is orri
17:02:28 [Zakim]
+orri; got it
17:02:29 [Zakim]
+Ashok_Malhotra
17:02:32 [hhalpin]
Zakim, ??P25 is hhalpin
17:02:32 [Zakim]
+hhalpin; got it
17:02:41 [mhausenblas]
RRSAgent, draft minutes
17:02:41 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2009/11/17-RDB2RDF-minutes.html mhausenblas
17:02:49 [BenS]
zakim, LeeF is me
17:02:49 [Zakim]
+BenS; got it
17:02:57 [mhausenblas]
RRSAgent, make logs public
17:03:18 [mhausenblas]
RRSAgent, draft minutes
17:03:18 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2009/11/17-RDB2RDF-minutes.html mhausenblas
17:03:30 [Ahmed]
Ahmed has joined #RDB2RDF
17:03:45 [Ahmed]
I am back...
17:03:58 [Zakim]
+Seema
17:04:04 [mhausenblas]
Topic: Admin
17:04:17 [nunolopes]
Zakim, nunolopes is with mhausenblas
17:04:17 [Zakim]
+nunolopes; got it
17:04:26 [mhausenblas]
Ahmed: roll call
17:04:57 [mhausenblas]
PROPOSAL: accept minutes from last meeting http://www.w3.org/2009/11/10-RDB2RDF-minutes.html
17:06:20 [hhalpin]
+1
17:06:28 [jsequeda]
+1
17:06:31 [Ahmed]
+1
17:06:35 [Marcelo]
+1
17:06:44 [angela_UNITN]
+1
17:06:49 [mhausenblas]
RESOLVED: approved minutes from last meeting
17:07:15 [mhausenblas]
Ahmed: scribe - shall we rotate?
17:08:28 [hhalpin]
The command is "Zakim, pick a scribe"
17:09:23 [hhalpin]
I'm happy to make a scribelist.
17:09:53 [hhalpin]
Or we could do volunteering...
17:10:22 [hhalpin]
ACTION: hhalpin to make a draft scribelist on wiki
17:10:23 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-15 - Make a draft scribelist on wiki [on Harry Halpin - due 2009-11-24].
17:11:27 [mhausenblas]
Topic: Liaisons
17:11:29 [mhausenblas]
http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/rdb2rdf/wiki/Main_Page#Liaisons
17:11:54 [mhausenblas]
sorry, http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/rdb2rdf/wiki/Liaisons
17:13:11 [mhausenblas]
Michael: please review and add your name there
17:14:03 [mhausenblas]
http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/rdb2rdf/wiki/Requirements/DDLCoverage
17:15:02 [mhausenblas]
ACTION: Jsequeda to init DDL coverage on Wiki
17:15:03 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-16 - Init DDL coverage on Wiki [on Juan Sequeda - due 2009-11-24].
17:15:17 [Souri]
We would like to present our approach/proposal to the WG on 01-Dec-2009 if the slot is available.
17:16:19 [mhausenblas]
Souri, please put it on the Wiki at http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/rdb2rdf/wiki/Initial_Round_of_Presentations and send out to the group
17:16:38 [hhalpin]
Souri, that date looks open
17:16:43 [hhalpin]
http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/rdb2rdf/wiki/Initial_Round_of_Presentations
17:17:02 [mhausenblas]
ISSUE-2?
17:17:02 [trackbot]
ISSUE-2 -- R2RML serializations -- OPEN
17:17:02 [trackbot]
http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/rdb2rdf/track/issues/2
17:17:17 [Souri]
Thanks. I'll add our name to the schedule. We'll put the slides later.
17:17:28 [mhausenblas]
thanks, Souru
17:17:36 [hhalpin]
Just edit the wiki-page.
17:17:36 [mhausenblas]
s/Souru/Souri
17:17:43 [hhalpin]
And I think EricP also has a presentation he wants to give
17:17:59 [ericP]
-> http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/databinding/edcopy/basic/basic.html latest databinding draft
17:18:05 [hhalpin]
http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/databinding/
17:18:18 [hhalpin]
http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/
17:19:14 [mhausenblas]
Ahmed: supporting vendor-specific data types
17:19:36 [mhausenblas]
ACTION: mhausenb to create an issue for vendor-specific data types
17:19:36 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-17 - Create an issue for vendor-specific data types [on Michael Hausenblas - due 2009-11-24].
17:19:52 [mhausenblas]
Topic: Metatomix presentation
17:19:55 [hhalpin]
http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/rdb2rdf/Mtx-RDB2RDF.pdf
17:19:57 [hhalpin]
That's the slides!
17:20:55 [hhalpin]
Is it batla?
17:21:27 [mhausenblas]
Zakim, who's speaking?
17:21:40 [Zakim]
mhausenblas, listening for 11 seconds I could not identify any sounds
17:23:08 [mhausenblas]
balta: we're a privately-held company producing semantic technology
17:24:13 [mhausenblas]
... sectors: financial services, public sector, manufacturing, life sciences
17:24:20 [mhausenblas]
slide 4
17:24:45 [mhausenblas]
batla: the Metatomix approach
17:25:06 [mhausenblas]
... embrace the distributed enterprise landscape
17:26:22 [mhausenblas]
... providing a way to generalise schema
17:26:59 [mhausenblas]
... esp. important re distributing query (leveraging rules and semantics)
17:27:42 [mhausenblas]
RRSAgent, draft minutes
17:27:42 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2009/11/17-RDB2RDF-minutes.html mhausenblas
17:28:55 [mhausenblas]
slide 5
17:29:12 [mhausenblas]
batla: listing some tools we have (Eclipse-based)
17:29:35 [mhausenblas]
... editor for ontology, RDF, rules/policy
17:30:04 [mhausenblas]
... mapping tool data sources to RDF and other way round
17:31:41 [mhausenblas]
slide 6
17:32:03 [mhausenblas]
batla: three RDB2RDF specific tools
17:32:28 [mhausenblas]
... Ontology Editor Import Tool, Eclipse Mapping Tool, and the Mapping in Mtx Discovery
17:33:35 [mhausenblas]
slide 7
17:33:55 [mhausenblas]
batla: allows for seeding an ontology with a representative relational schema
17:34:00 [mhausenblas]
slide 8
17:34:05 [mhausenblas]
batla: example
17:34:19 [mhausenblas]
... seeding the ontology
17:35:48 [mhausenblas]
Orri: how do you, for example, handle consolidation throughout various CRM systems?
17:36:38 [mhausenblas]
batla: we would specific ontologies for each CRM then
17:37:31 [mhausenblas]
... and the create subclass/superclasses to connect different classes in the specific ontologies
17:38:24 [mhausenblas]
Ahmed: so, you need mapping from local to other local ontologies, right?
17:38:27 [mhausenblas]
batla: yes
17:38:47 [mhausenblas]
slide 9
17:39:05 [mhausenblas]
batla: our tool set runs in Eclipse
17:39:51 [mhausenblas]
... the first step in “importing” an ontology from a relational schema is to connect to the data source. In this case we are connecting to a MySQL database.
17:40:16 [mhausenblas]
slide 10
17:40:37 [mhausenblas]
batla: After connecting to the data source, the wizard displays the schema, allowing the user to select the tables and columns to be included in the ontology.
17:41:00 [ericP]
batla: demo ontology uses the northwind database
17:42:04 [mhausenblas]
slide 11
17:42:24 [mhausenblas]
batla: Inevitably, the ontology will need to be augmented - remember the step of “importing” the ontology from the database is a way to “seed” the ontology.
17:42:54 [mhausenblas]
... here, we are selecting an entity, NwCustomers and adding new properties – contactLastName and contactFirstName as datatype properties
17:43:31 [mhausenblas]
RRSAgent, draft minutes
17:43:31 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2009/11/17-RDB2RDF-minutes.html mhausenblas
17:43:38 [Souri]
q+
17:43:48 [mhausenblas]
batla: we have also a graph viewer in the tools
17:44:09 [mhausenblas]
ack Souri
17:44:53 [mhausenblas]
slide 12
17:45:13 [mhausenblas]
batla: This slide displays the new ontology in a graph visualization. The first image shows how the application created a relationship between the nwOrders and nwCustomers entities through the customerID object property (nwOrders customerID nwCustomers). The second image displays the new properties we added in the previous step.
17:45:30 [ericP]
slide 13, i suspect
17:45:32 [mhausenblas]
slide 13
17:46:19 [mhausenblas]
batla: Eclipse-based Mapping Tool allows mapping from relational schemas to an ontology in a click-and-drag paradigm and generates xml-based mapping file, executed at runtime for real-time RDF generation
17:48:08 [mhausenblas]
slide 14
17:49:12 [mhausenblas]
batla: 1. Configure the Input
17:49:19 [mhausenblas]
... The end goal is to create RDF from RDB. In order to that we must create a mapping from the database to the ontology we just created/augmented.
17:49:30 [mhausenblas]
... this mapping is a design time step and when run, generates RDF that “fits” the ontology.
17:49:43 [mhausenblas]
... The first step in defining this mapping is to configure an input ; this involves the identification of the input source
17:49:46 [jsequeda]
q+
17:50:00 [mhausenblas]
slide 15
17:50:12 [mhausenblas]
batla: 2. configure output
17:50:15 [mhausenblas]
slide 16
17:50:27 [mhausenblas]
batla: 3. Create the Mappings
17:50:48 [mhausenblas]
ack jsequeda
17:51:19 [mhausenblas]
jsequeda: first you create the ontology and then you augment it again?
17:51:32 [mhausenblas]
batla: yes, on purpose
17:52:21 [mhausenblas]
... key point is that while you seed at the beginning, the runtime stuff happens dynamically (automatically)
17:53:53 [mhausenblas]
batla: using regex, etc the splitting functions can be implemented
17:54:10 [mhausenblas]
slide 17
17:54:50 [mhausenblas]
batla: Final mapping (merge/split)
17:54:52 [mhausenblas]
slide 18
17:55:16 [mhausenblas]
batla: an JDBC MSG example
17:55:17 [mhausenblas]
slide 19
17:55:30 [mhausenblas]
batla: resulting RDF/XML
17:55:40 [mhausenblas]
slide 20
17:55:42 [ericP]
q+ to ask how this mapped view is queried
17:56:18 [mhausenblas]
ack ericP
17:56:18 [Zakim]
ericP, you wanted to ask how this mapped view is queried
17:56:30 [mhausenblas]
batla: A graph representation of the new RDF resource generated from our mapping.
17:57:01 [mhausenblas]
... idea is to have bi-directional data flow, yes
17:57:44 [mhausenblas]
slide 21
17:58:07 [mhausenblas]
batla: discovery - bridges the gap between structured and unstructured data
17:58:41 [jsequeda]
q+
17:58:58 [mhausenblas]
rest of the slide deck is mainly about Metatomix discovery tools and their usage
17:59:11 [mhausenblas]
s/rest of the/ batla: rest of the
17:59:35 [mhausenblas]
ack jsequeda
17:59:54 [mhausenblas]
jsequeda: how complex can the mapping be?
18:00:18 [mhausenblas]
batla: we have some sophisticated function, there's an API as well to extend ti
18:00:27 [mhausenblas]
s/extend ti/extend it
18:00:42 [hhalpin]
is thinking what would be useful would be to focus on how the various tools would also benefit (or not) from a RDB2RDF standard, and what features of this proposed standard they would already support.
18:00:50 [mhausenblas]
RRSAgent, draft minutes
18:00:50 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2009/11/17-RDB2RDF-minutes.html mhausenblas
18:01:03 [hhalpin]
the thought was provoked by all the features that Metamotix has.
18:01:32 [jsequeda]
+1
18:03:03 [mhausenblas]
Topic: AOB
18:03:06 [hhalpin]
thanks!
18:03:07 [Zakim]
-Souri
18:03:08 [Zakim]
-Seema
18:03:10 [Zakim]
-whalb
18:03:15 [Zakim]
-[IPcaller]
18:03:17 [Zakim]
-??P3
18:03:18 [Zakim]
-metatomix
18:03:22 [mhausenblas]
[adjourned]
18:03:27 [Zakim]
-BenS
18:03:29 [Zakim]
-angela_UNITN
18:03:31 [mhausenblas]
Zakim, list attendees
18:03:31 [Zakim]
As of this point the attendees have been angela_UNITN, whalb, mhausenblas, metatomix, jsequeda, EricP, +1.562.686.aaaa, [IPcaller], Souri, orri, Ashok_Malhotra, hhalpin, BenS,
18:03:33 [Zakim]
... Seema, nunolopes
18:03:49 [Zakim]
-Ashok_Malhotra
18:03:51 [mhausenblas]
rrsagent, draft minutes
18:03:51 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate http://www.w3.org/2009/11/17-RDB2RDF-minutes.html mhausenblas
18:04:32 [batla]
thanks everyone!
18:04:33 [Zakim]
-mhausenblas
18:04:40 [mhausenblas]
thank you!
18:06:12 [mhausenblas]
batla, once I create the Wiki page for vendor specific stuff, would you volunteer to init it?
18:07:01 [Zakim]
-orri
18:07:25 [mhausenblas]
zakim, bye
18:07:26 [Zakim]
leaving. As of this point the attendees were angela_UNITN, whalb, mhausenblas, metatomix, jsequeda, EricP, +1.562.686.aaaa, [IPcaller], Souri, orri, Ashok_Malhotra, hhalpin, BenS,
18:07:26 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #rdb2rdf
18:07:29 [Zakim]
... Seema, nunolopes
18:07:32 [mhausenblas]
rrsagent, bye
18:07:32 [RRSAgent]
I see 3 open action items saved in http://www.w3.org/2009/11/17-RDB2RDF-actions.rdf :
18:07:32 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: hhalpin to make a draft scribelist on wiki [1]
18:07:32 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2009/11/17-RDB2RDF-irc#T17-10-22
18:07:32 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: Jsequeda to init DDL coverage on Wiki [2]
18:07:32 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2009/11/17-RDB2RDF-irc#T17-15-02
18:07:32 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: mhausenb to create an issue for vendor-specific data types [3]
18:07:32 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2009/11/17-RDB2RDF-irc#T17-19-36