Mobile Phones: a revolution
(source: ITU World Telecommunication/ICT
Indicators (WTI) database.)
Mobile Phones are changing people's lives in the Developing World:
- In the way they work
- In the way they communicate
- In the way they live
But still low impact on Development Challenges...
Mobile ICT for Development
- Mobile phones have a great potential as ICT platform
- Success Stories demonstrate the potential
- simple services can improve people's lives
- simple services can put pressure for more open
- simple services can overcome lack of infrastructure
- Still limited impact at the global level
- only a small set of services available
- only a small set of contributors
- only a small set of users
|(Photo Source: Der
- Understanding authoring and deployment barriers and potential ways to
- Understanding Access barriers and potential ways to lower them
- Understanding the place of mobile in the global ICTD picture
- Panel Introduction
- Ken Banks (kiwanja.net)
- Gaetano Borriello (University of Washington)
- Jonathan Donner (Microsoft Research)
- David Edelstein (Grameen Foundation)
- Jesse Moore (GSMA Development Funds)
- Content Challenges
- Access Barriers
- Mobile in the complete ICTD picture
- Current situation: Few contributors and few services
- need for proactive actions ? or let the market grow alone ?
- roles of the different actors (ngo/grassroots, entrepreneurs,
mobile operators/handset manufacturer, government,...)
- why success stories are slowly replicated ?
- roadblocks ?
- lack of awareness ?
- lack of expertise ?
- lack of tools ?
- lack of market/business ?
- should contributors focus on currently available phones, or focus
on future full-featured phones and devices ?
- Current situation: few users
- should we just wait for content and the number of users will just
grow reaching everybody ?
- How to cope with low reading skills ?
- How to cope with computer literacy (searching for, finding and
using services) ?
- Importance of localization/availability of content in local
- is a very low-end phone a real potential ict platform, or should we
wait for availability of 3G, 4G, 5G or 10G network and devices ?
- is SMS the killing platform for services ? what about voice, mobile
browsing, native applications,... ?
Place of Mobile in the ICTD domain
- are mobiles just a new tool for people working in ICTD or a complete
- should people in ICTD stop everything they are doing and
concentrate on mobile only ?
- what is the importance/impact of the channel delivery vs the
development challenges (providing services to people to improve their
- in which way mobile is facilitating (or making harder) access to
content compared to other channel ?
- is mobile facilitating adoption of ICT services by people ?