IRC log of tagmem on 2008-07-10

Timestamps are in UTC.

16:54:57 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #tagmem
16:54:57 [RRSAgent]
logging to
16:55:15 [Stuart]
zakim, this will be tag
16:55:15 [Zakim]
ok, Stuart; I see TAG_Weekly()1:00PM scheduled to start in 5 minutes
16:55:26 [Stuart]
Meeting: TAG Weekly
16:55:44 [Stuart]
16:55:58 [Stuart]
Chair: Stuart Williams
16:56:08 [Stuart]
Scribe: Jonathan Rees
16:56:40 [Stuart]
trackbot, status
16:57:09 [Zakim]
TAG_Weekly()1:00PM has now started
16:57:16 [Zakim]
16:57:54 [Zakim]
16:58:01 [Stuart]
zakim, ??P9 is me
16:58:01 [Zakim]
+Stuart; got it
16:58:35 [Ashok]
Ashok has joined #tagmem
16:59:26 [Zakim]
+ +1.617.253.aaaa
16:59:58 [Stuart]
zakim, +1 is jar
16:59:58 [Zakim]
+jar; got it
17:01:32 [Zakim]
17:01:58 [ht_wylie]
ht_wylie has joined #tagmem
17:02:25 [DanC]
DanC has joined #tagmem
17:02:32 [Zakim]
17:02:35 [jar]
Getting started.
17:02:45 [jar]
Comments on agenda? No.
17:02:59 [jar]
Minutes re 26 June telecon. OK?
17:03:20 [jar]
(not the joint call, the one before it)
17:03:37 [jar]
17:03:42 [jar]
17:04:07 [jar]
Henry to scribe next week
17:04:13 [Ashok]
Stuart, regrets from next week's call
17:04:32 [Ashok]
17:05:05 [jar]
Ashok and Tim express regrets for next week.
17:06:33 [jar]
Henry: Let's meet next week anyhow
17:06:55 [DanC]
ok by me to cxl 31 Jul, 7 Aug, 14 Aug
17:07:15 [jar]
Resolved: skip those three.
17:09:28 [jar]
Now discussing how to continue OASIS/XRI interaction
17:09:52 [jar]
Ashok volunteering to talk to Marty about data integration use case in about 2 weeks
17:11:39 [jar]
stuart: Concerned that maybe nothing will get done over the summer
17:12:20 [jar]
shoot. lost my phone link
17:12:30 [jar]
hang on
17:12:43 [Zakim]
17:12:46 [DanC]
HT: I hope to use the summer break to do the drafting I was planning to do
17:12:52 [jar]
or someone else scribe please... 60 seconds
17:13:16 [Zakim]
17:13:20 [jar]
ahh... back.
17:14:14 [timbl]
timbl has joined #tagmem
17:14:22 [jar]
HT: Missing: a serious analysis of why http doesn't meet their requirements.
17:14:33 [timbl]
17:14:40 [Stuart]
ack timb
17:15:02 [Zakim]
17:15:22 [ht_wylie]
timbl: The problem is not how to evolve the mechanism
17:15:26 [Ashok]
TimBl: Who is the design authority?
17:15:48 [ht_wylie]
... it's a social problem -- they don't trust, or want to work with, ICANN and the rest of the authority structure
17:15:54 [Zakim]
17:15:58 [Ashok]
ask them is is that it cannot be done technically or socially
17:16:07 [ht_wylie]
... This kind of group wants to be _socially_ independent of ICANN and so on
17:16:13 [Ashok]
do you want to be independent of ICANN
17:16:42 [DanC]
q+ to think about the "independent naming system"
17:16:44 [jar]
stuart: Have you seen latest decision from ICANN, re TLDs for sale?
17:16:51 [timbl]
17:17:24 [DanC]
impact of lots more top level domains on the Web? Dan Connolly (Thursday, 26 June)
17:17:48 [Stuart]
ack Danc
17:18:48 [jar]
danc: XRIs are showing up in oauth namespace declarations. Namespaces are given as URIs.
17:19:26 [jar]
danc: (Therefore XRIs need to be URIs, for that purpose.)
17:19:38 [DanC]
(I tried to say IRI; but since IRIs and URIs share a scheme registry.)
17:20:10 [Ashok]
but XRI not registered as URI scheme
17:20:28 [jar]
ht: If an XRI URI scheme is applied for, then it will have to meet the bar for new URI schemes
17:21:09 [jar]
ht: What can we do to help meet our obligations here?
17:21:40 [ht_wylie]
At some point on the call, I said "Now _that's_ a technical question we could dig into . . ." . . . what was that?
17:21:41 [jar]
stuart: Shall we: frame questions and encourage conversation?
17:22:08 [jar]
danc: Not sure that will help keep things alive over the summer.
17:22:16 [jar]
17:22:41 [jar]
danc: Discussion should take place on www-tag
17:23:10 [jar]
ashok: Yes, encouraging summer conversation is a good idea
17:23:12 [ht_wylie]
Found it: 'HST thinks that addressing the "http scheme did not allow us to to use non-DNS authority resolution" is a very concrete challenge that we could focus on'
17:24:13 [DanC]
s/Discussion should take place on www-tag/Discussion on www-tag is convenient for me, though I wonder whether it'll reach critical mass/
17:24:38 [jar]
ht: Maybe we can dig in on at least one definite issue, the one about distributed authority.
17:25:48 [jar]
stuart: Looking for ways to make it not fall silent and lose context
17:27:31 [jar]
timbl: Maybe put the argument on a wiki, lay it out there
17:28:11 [jar]
timbl: Let's consider priorities w.r.t. other activities, maybe recruit others to help
17:28:29 [timbl]
We could spend an hour of the next meeting to state our position
17:28:46 [DanC]
but that wouldn't be any better.
17:30:08 [ht_wylie]
HST is willing to try to start a thread
17:30:21 [jar]
danc: A real back and forth would be better than presentations
17:31:28 [ht_wylie]
ACTION: Henry S to start a thread on non-DNS authority resolution on www-tag
17:31:28 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-167 - S to start a thread on non-DNS authority resolution on www-tag [on Henry S. Thompson - due 2008-07-17].
17:32:40 [jar]
danc: Let's drop video
17:32:50 [jar]
Item 4, contentTypeOverride-24
17:32:51 [Zakim]
17:32:53 [DanC]
17:33:05 [DanC]
17:33:42 [jar]
danc: How visible is the TAG blog?
17:35:07 [jar]
danc: TAG finding says sniffing is security risk. But HTML5 says do sniff sometimes.
17:35:41 [jar]
danc: Economics of following http spec are hopeless - doing the right thing loses market share.
17:36:13 [ht_yoyo]
ht_yoyo has joined #tagmem
17:36:48 [jar]
danc: Now, there's the "I mean it" flag
17:38:02 [Stuart]
Hixie's response was interesting:
17:40:09 [jar]
... and somtimes there's a browser configuration switch that says "follow the spec"
17:40:21 [jar]
17:41:14 [jar]
... and maybe things are getting better with compliance
17:41:24 [Stuart]
DanC I you can point me a the 'controls' I'll be happy to 'live dangerously'.
17:41:34 [jar]
... I think the TAG should talk about this some more
17:41:47 [jar]
(Note no quorum now)
17:44:19 [Stuart]
17:45:41 [jar]
danc: Details on sniffing in html5 are reasonable, not just a wholesale endorsement of some popular browser's behavior
17:46:15 [jar]
... e.g. <img src="something whose content-type is text/plain">
17:46:46 [jar]
stuart: Would you be willing to take on editor role?
17:46:51 [jar]
danc: yes
17:48:29 [DanC]
17:48:29 [trackbot]
ISSUE-34 -- XML Transformation and composability (e.g., XSLT,XInclude, Encryption) -- OPEN
17:48:29 [trackbot]
17:48:43 [jar]
... example: content type xhtml+xml, but then treated by client as atom feed due to namespace in the xml file
17:48:49 [DanC]
17:48:49 [trackbot]
ISSUE-33 -- Composability for user interface-oriented XML namespaces -- OPEN
17:48:49 [trackbot]
17:49:10 [DanC]
Dave Baron's msg was about the boundary between CDF and the TAG, about which I'm curious
17:53:34 [jar]
Moving on. F2F prep?
17:53:48 [jar]
Meeting formally adjourned.
17:54:19 [Zakim]
17:55:50 [Stuart]
rrsagent, make logs public
17:56:48 [jar]
rrsagent, pointer
17:56:48 [RRSAgent]
18:07:16 [jar],+MO&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=81.220239,111.972656&ie=UTF8&ll=39.272398,-94.805489&spn=0.080798,0.109348&t=h&z=13
18:08:12 [DanC]
18:09:28 [Stuart]
Big rapid at:,+MO&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=81.220239,111.972656&ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=39.257213,-94.831967&spn=0.014289,0.043087&z=15&iwloc=cent
18:12:45 [Zakim]
18:12:53 [Zakim]
18:13:21 [Zakim]
TAG_Weekly()1:00PM has ended
18:13:23 [Zakim]
Attendees were TimBL, Stuart, +1.617.253.aaaa, jar, Ashok_Malhotra, DanC.a, Jonathan_Rees
19:21:56 [timbl]
timbl has joined #tagmem
20:41:07 [timbl]
timbl has joined #tagmem
22:17:37 [timbl]
timbl has joined #tagmem