User Story: Drag And Drop (D&D)
Associating information about a person, a group, a company for it to be consumed by some program - be it a thick client or browser based - should be as easy as dragging the page about that person or group onto the program.
- Dragging an element onto another.
Basic course of events
- Tagging a picture as one in which someone appears should be as easy as dragging that person from an address book, or their home page onto the photo.
Alternative paths (optional)
- The picture is effectively tagged with the friend.
Currently Close Technologies
- Google Wave allows users to be dragged and dropped onto a discussion, which gives them rights.
Author and date
- Universal Drag And Drop, explains how D&D can work in a very simple RESTful manner.
- The Sommer Address Book implements dragging foaf URLs onto the Address Book as a way of adding someone to it
- Some resources describing support for drag and drop in HTML5:
- Drag and drop with HTML 5 and Wookie
- HTML 5 Drag and Drop + Microformats = a whole world of possibilities
- The HTML5 document specifies D&D behavior accross applications, but this is not yet implemented, as reported on the SWXG mailing list
- Demo: Publishing Desktop Data with semiBlog, presents a MetaWeblog API based system to do the same.