This page discusses a proposal extending schema.org to introduce the notion that a 'LocalBusiness' may have different departments.
The motivation is to allow representation of the department name, phone numbers, and opening hours for each department within a local business branch (see the websites of uhaul, walmart, and usps for examples of where this could be useful). (e.g. try '90210' into locator in https://www.usps.com/ or http://www.uhaul.com/Locations/ ... )
It seems common to have different contact info, opening hours etc, for different service offerings within the same larger branch.
We augment "Organization" with the ability to point to a department, which is just another Organization (or, implicitly, one of its more specific subtypes). We have departmentOf as an inverse pointer. Also we would generalise the 'openingHoursSpecification' property (which takes the similarly named OpeningHoursSpecification type as a value); instead of only applying to a LocalBusiness, we allow it to apply potentially to any Organization.
- We can handle this with new properties on Organization (3 properties: departmentOf, department, openingHoursSpecification); No new subtypes.
- RDFa 1.1 and JSON-LD notations have mechanism for reverse-direction properties, which reduces need for departmentOf. But It would be useful enough to add.
- Note that it is awkward that we have a property and type pair (openingHoursSpecification OpeningHoursSpecification) that differ only by case of one letter; but this is already the situation, see [schema.org/LocalBusiness LocalBusiness]
The proposed representation is to introduce a new property, "department", on LocalBusiness (and a convenience inverse, "departmentOf"). That property's target type would be:
Thing > Organization > LocalBusiness > LocalBusinessDepartment
- make some (realistic) examples
- circulate on public-vocabs, to schema.org partners, and interested W3C groups (e.g. eGov)
- check scope of definition (LocalBusiness, Organization); confirm property/type names
- w.r.t. hasUnit from the W3C Org vocab; v close, but schema.org does not use the 'hasFoo' naming idiom (declare samePropertyAs?).
is this peculiar to LocalBusiness, or would we potentially want the same for any Organization?... latest proposal is generalised
a new type, LocalBusinessDepartment, with superClass LocalBusiness (inherits name, phone numbers, and opening hours from LocalBusiness, and adds just one new property)
- add 'department' to
existing LocalBusiness type; perhaps also to<strike> Organization
- a new property, departmentOf ("The larger organization or business to which this department belongs."), whose value is <strike>LocalBusiness (potentially Organization instead, but consistent with whatever we say for 'department')
- Organization ontology, http://www.w3.org/TR/vocab-org/#overview-of-ontology
- RegisteredOrganization, http://www.w3.org/TR/vocab-regorg/#overview-of-the-vocabulary (created to represent formal business registry data)
- work to reconcile/link these is ongoing, see http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/track/issues/45