Difference between revisions of "TPAC2013/SessionIdeas"

From W3C Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
(How does Telecom involve in W3C?)
(Site Redesign)
Line 174: Line 174:
 
* Goals: Ian wants to use this opportunity to share progress and get feedback on wireframes for part of the site redesign, and to discuss other parts of the project.
 
* Goals: Ian wants to use this opportunity to share progress and get feedback on wireframes for part of the site redesign, and to discuss other parts of the project.
 
* Interested: ddavis, Rebecca Hauck, Yosuke Funahashi, Masataka Yakura
 
* Interested: ddavis, Rebecca Hauck, Yosuke Funahashi, Masataka Yakura
 +
* [TPAC2013/SessionIdeas|Minutes]
  
 
=== Headlights 2014 ===
 
=== Headlights 2014 ===

Revision as of 03:08, 13 November 2013

We encourage attendees to start brainstorming TPAC2013 session ideas in advance of the meeting.

See the TPAC 2013 FAQ for more information.

How to use this page

Please use this page to:

  • Propose sessions you wish you lead
  • Propose sessions you wish others to lead
  • Indicate whether you plan to attend a session (helps with scheduling)

How to propose a session

Please provide:

    • session name (as a === subhead === )
    • session proposer (optional: name a desired session leader, can be yourself)
    • one sentence session summary
    • type of session: (e.g.: talk, panel, open discussion, etc.)
    • goals of session
    • additional speakers/panelists

And feel free to simply add them here at the top. See site redesign below as a template for new entries.

Suggestions for Tuesday Morning AC Meeting

The Tuesday morning of the AC Meeting is optional. It is intended for informal discussion among Chairs, AC, TAG, AB, Offices, and Team.

[Breakout session] How to Effectively "listen" to activity

  • Proposed by: Al Villarica (Smart Communications) & Alan Bird (W3C and Smart's MRM)
  • Summary: W3C has a lot of different activities going on at any given point in time. For a member with a smaller amount of resource it's a challenge to find out what's going on that isn't on our current "radar". We're assuming that members that have been with W3C for a longer period of time may have some "best practices" they could share to help newer, smaller members.
  • Type: Discussion
  • Goals: Open discussion to provide members with ideas they can implement to gain more value from their W3C Membership by being aware of areas that might be in their organizations longer term objectives.
  • Interested: Rebecca Hauck, Masataka Yakura

[Breakout session] New W3C Services

  • Proposed by: Marie-Claire Forgue and Bernard Gidon
  • Summary: W3C is introducing new services (training and validator suite)
  • Type: Presentation and discussion
  • Goals: The "new services team" would like to provide an update on these existing services. We will be happy to answer your questions and also introcuce the related W3C Members benefits. We are also interested in finding new ways to promote these new services through the members' networks of developers and customers.
  • Interested: AlanB, JérômeC

Notes from the Team

  • Introduction to W3C's IPR Policies
  • New W3C Services activity

Notes from the Program committee

  • EME
  • Schema.org
  • Boundaries of W3C work in technology/policy areas
  • Improving remote participation in W3C meetings
  • Focus AC agenda on TPWG progress; use breakout for broader discussion of Web privacy.

Notes on breakout rooms

  • We will seek three breakout rooms + the main room.
  • However groups will be meeting in many of the available rooms.
  • Therefore, if we can't arrange for 3 distinct rooms, we'll grab corners of the main room.

Suggestions for Wednesday Breakouts

Note: For 2013 we invite the Advisory Committee to use the Wednesday breakouts for AC-type topics as well.

We encourage attendees to start brainstorming TPAC2013 session ideas in advance of the meeting.

See the TPAC 2013 FAQ for more information.

How to use this page

Please use this page to:

  • Propose sessions you wish you lead
  • Propose sessions you wish others to lead
  • Indicate whether you plan to attend a session (helps with scheduling)

How to propose a session

Please provide:

    • session name (as a === subhead === )
    • session proposer (optional: name a desired session leader, can be yourself)
    • one sentence session summary
    • type of session: (e.g.: talk, panel, open discussion, etc.)
    • goals of session
    • additional speakers/panelists

And feel free to simply add them here at the top. See site redesign below as a template for new entries.

Suggestions for Tuesday Morning AC Meeting

The Tuesday morning of the AC Meeting is optional. It is intended for informal discussion among Chairs, AC, TAG, AB, Offices, and Team.

[Breakout session] How to Effectively "listen" to activity

  • Proposed by: Al Villarica (Smart Communications) & Alan Bird (W3C and Smart's MRM)
  • Summary: W3C has a lot of different activities going on at any given point in time. For a member with a smaller amount of resource it's a challenge to find out what's going on that isn't on our current "radar". We're assuming that members that have been with W3C for a longer period of time may have some "best practices" they could share to help newer, smaller members.
  • Type: Discussion
  • Goals: Open discussion to provide members with ideas they can implement to gain more value from their W3C Membership by being aware of areas that might be in their organizations longer term objectives.
  • Interested: Rebecca Hauck, Masataka Yakura

[Breakout session] New W3C Services

  • Proposed by: Marie-Claire Forgue and Bernard Gidon
  • Summary: W3C is introducing new services (training and validator suite)
  • Type: Presentation and discussion
  • Goals: The "new services team" would like to provide an update on these existing services. We will be happy to answer your questions and also introcuce the related W3C Members benefits. We are also interested in finding new ways to promote these new services through the members' networks of developers and customers.
  • Interested: AlanB, JérômeC

Notes from the Team

  • Introduction to W3C's IPR Policies
  • New W3C Services activity

Notes from the Program committee

  • EME
  • Schema.org
  • Boundaries of W3C work in technology/policy areas
  • Improving remote participation in W3C meetings
  • Focus AC agenda on TPWG progress; use breakout for broader discussion of Web privacy.

Notes on breakout rooms

  • We will seek three breakout rooms + the main room.
  • However groups will be meeting in many of the available rooms.
  • Therefore, if we can't arrange for 3 distinct rooms, we'll grab corners of the main room.

Suggestions for Wednesday Breakouts

Note: For 2013 we invite the Advisory Committee to use the Wednesday breakouts for AC-type topics as well.

Forking policy

  • Proposed by: Larry Masinter
  • Summary: Discuss assembling a W3C statement/analysis of "Forking"
  • Session: Without discussing the question of how the policy is enforced, can we create an independent community discussion of consideration of when "forking" is useful and helpful and what kinds are difficult or dangerous or confusing. Much of this is currently embedded in the license, but the license entails other commitments that are otherwise controversial.
  • Goal: resolve understanding of the considerations around forking.
  • Interested:

Ruby

  • Proposed by: Robin Berjon
  • Summary: Discuss the work on ruby going on in both CSS and HTML
  • Session: Get up to speed on where we are and figure out where to go next.
  • Goal: improve the state of ruby on the Web
  • Interested: hober, gadams, Richard Ishida, Koji Ishii, Hayato Ozawa, Taichi Kawabata

Web Payments

  • Proposed by: Manu Sporny
  • Summary: Discuss the role of W3C in the creation of a set of value-exchange (payment / crowdfunding / P2P finance) standards for the Web, consider PaySwarm, Bitcoin, Ripple and other emerging technologies.
  • Session: Short 15 minute intro on the topic followed by open discussion
  • Link to Session Page: http://www.w3.org/wiki/TPAC2013/session-web-payments
  • Short Link to Session Page: http://bitly.com/tpac-wp
  • Goals
    • See if a Web Payments Workshop or Working Group is needed
    • Educate and organize people around the Web Payments work
    • Determine the path forward
    • Establish E-Commerce Interoperability standard
  • Interested : Mountie Lee, Mete Balci, Dave Raggett, Virginie Galindo, Takahiro Sakai, Keiji Yanagiuchi, Kazuhiro Hoya, Hayato Ozawa, Art Barstow, Karen Myers, Christian Fuhrhop, Bryan Sullivan, Hirotaka Nakajima, Wonsuk Lee, Seung-Hun Jin

Site Redesign

Use this as a template for describing your session

  • Proposed by: Ian Jacobs
  • Summary: W3C is redesigning its web site. In 2013 we surveyed the public, groups, and Members and created a plan based on the priorities we heard. Come to this session to hear about our progress and provide feedback to help ensure the site meets your needs.
  • Type: Presentation and discussion
  • Goals: Ian wants to use this opportunity to share progress and get feedback on wireframes for part of the site redesign, and to discuss other parts of the project.
  • Interested: ddavis, Rebecca Hauck, Yosuke Funahashi, Masataka Yakura
  • [TPAC2013/SessionIdeas|Minutes]

Headlights 2014

  • Proposed by: Jeff Jaffe
  • Summary: W3C management reviews W3C priorities and resources on an ongoing basis, and annually (typically mid-year) explores major re-allocations of resources to align with important trends. W3C Members and W3C Staff participate in Headlights 2014 to identify some potential directions for W3C (technical, organizational, etc.).
  • Type: Discussion
  • Goals: Gather Headlights 2014 ideas
  • Interested:

W3C Data

  • Proposed by: Ian Jacobs (Need to get Ted Guild on board!)
  • Summary: Data needs
  • Goals: Share information about what plans are for exposing and documenting W3C Data
  • Interested:

How we can be better Chairs

Summary: Chairs are one of the key components in a Working Group, and they can make a big positive or negative difference to the effectiveness of their group. This session is intended for active chairs and people who expect to be or would like to be chairs

  • Proposed by: Chaals
  • Type: Open Discussion
  • Goals: Share experience and learn from each other. Look at the resources available in the chairs' Guide and propose necessary changes.
  • Interested: Natasha Rooney, Virgnie Galindo, Nigel Megitt, Yosuke Funahashi, Manu Sporny, Olivier Thereaux, Wonsuk Lee

Some potential topics:

  • dealing with trolls
  • Tools: github, tracker, bugzilla, lc-track, ...
  • Meetings - when to have them, how to plan them, how to get the best out of them
  • Editors, authors, and one-man bands

Rec track process

Summary: Looking at how to make the Recommendation track meet the needs of our stakeholders

  • Proposed by: Chaals
  • Type: Discussion and presentation
  • Goals: Work out who are our stakeholders, and what do they need from our specs. Explain the AB's proposed changes for the Process document
  • Interested: Masataka Yakura, Alan Stearns

Security roadmap

  • Proposed by: Virginie GALINDO
  • Summary: Discuss the security roadmap of W3C by presenting the existing work done in WebAppSec and Web Crypto Working Group, reminding the existence of the Web Security Interest Group and collecting the current security challenges that the members are facing to create the security roadmap of W3C.
  • Session: Short 10 minute intro on the topic followed by open discussion
  • Goals
    • Educate people on the security feature under development in W3C
    • Collect the wish list in terms of security of the attendees
    • Build the priority topics that should be discussed in Web Security Interest Group
      • JS sandboxing / integrity checking / encryption / signature verification / obfuscation
  • Interested: People will put names here if interested in attending this session: Art Barstow, Natasha Rooney, Mountie Lee, Hirotaka Nakajima, Mete Balci, Dom Hazael-Massieux, Mark Nottingham, Wendy Seltzer, Dave Raggett, Manu Sporny, Dirk Schulze, Sangrae Cho

Update on Offline

  • Wiki: TPAC Wiki Session Page
  • Proposed by: Natasha Rooney
  • Summary: We had a great Offline Breakout at last year's TPAC and a lot has happened since then. We have seen work in App Cache, Manifest files and now ServiceWorker. This session will give an overview of what is going on and give everyone a good opportunity to ask the experts questions and have some useful discussions on the topic which might bring about some issues which can be considered for future work.
  • Type: Presentation and discussion
  • Goals: Bring everyone up to a similar level of understanding, raise important issues to all W3C members, and to help those working on solutions.
  • Interested: Art Barstow, Dom Hazael-Massieux, Mark Nottingham, Masataka Yakura, Manu Sporny, Alan Stearns, Bryan Sullivan, Wonsuk Lee

Moving Forward on Geolocation API

  • Proposed by: Giri Mandyam
  • Summary: Discuss a next version of the Geolocation API. This will include enhancements to the existing API (e.g. indoor location, geofencing, etc.), testing and conformance, and the status of the existing specifications from the Geolocation Working Group (e.g. DeviceOrientation).
  • Session: 15 minute intro followed by open discussion
  • Wiki: TPAC 2013 Wiki Session Page for Geolocation
  • Goals
    • Determine interest in reopening the Geolocation Working Group
    • Itemize desired enhancements from member companies for existing geolocation specifications
  • Interested: People will put names here if interested in attending this session: Dom Hazael-Massieux, Lars Erik Bolstad

Make better tele-conf system

  • Proposed by: Kensaku Komatsu (NTT Communications)
  • Summary: Discuss how we can build better tele-conf system. With brand-new web specs, lots of issues about telephone conference will be addressed. For instance, easy to connect, voice recognition, automatic translation. (This session is related to Web on Zakim Community Group)
  • Type: Presentation and discussion
  • Goals: Obtain nice idea for better tele-conf system.
  • Interested: People will put names here if interested in attending this session: Yusuke Naka, Satoru Takagi, Tomoyuki Shimizu, Koichi Takagi, Ryoya Kawai, Natasha Rooney, Hayato Ozawa, Hirotaka Nakajima

Web of Things

  • Proposed by: Rich Tibbett, Jacques Bourhis, Dave Raggett
  • Summary: How do we advertise, discover and connect the next billion internet-enabled devices to web pages? What is the current state-of-the-art, immediate priorities and outstanding issues for such an initiative to succeed? We will start with a short summary of some of the proposals currently being worked on at the W3C (things like the Network Service Discovery API, NFC API, current plans for Bluetooth connectivity, indoor location sensing, beacons, the role of Cloud computing for scalable solutions for open markets of services, and other initiatives). Then we can open the floor for other attendees to share their own thoughts and ideas.
  • Type: A short presentation (~5 mins) on the current status of related W3C work followed by open discussion and demos
  • Goals: Are W3C working on the right things? Are there other connected-devices topics the W3C should be working on? Roadmaps and next steps.
  • Heads up on the W3C Web of Things Community Group and plans for a Web of Things Workshop in mid 2014 -- slides
  • Interested: Jonathan Jeon, Kensaku Komatsu, Tomoyuki Shimizu, Art Barstow, Dom Hazael-Massieux, Takayuki Nishikawa, Yosuke Funahashi, Hayato Ozawa, Kunio Numabe, Kinji Matsumura, Yusuke Doi, Karen Myers, Mark Crawford, Manu Sporny, Michael Cooper, Bryan Sullivan

Publishing Management

  • Proposed by: Robin Berjon (well, really Ian Jacobs but he wants me to pretend that I did it)
  • Summary: It is absurd to enforce the Heartbeat requirement in an age in which editors' drafts are public anyway. We should just have them on TR. I have outlined a proposal in that direction, which seems to benefit from some support: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/spec-prod/2013OctDec/0029.html
  • Type: Presentation and discussion
  • Goals: Try to set things up so that within the following year we can transition to the new system (yay ambition!)
  • Interested: Alan Stearns, Michael Cooper, Dom Hazael-Massieux, Olivier Thereaux

Pervasive Monitoring and the IETF

  • Proposed by: Mark Nottingham (requested by PLH)
  • Summary: The IETF is going to be meeting for a week before TPAC, where the theme will be "Pervasive Monitoring," an unusual step prompted by recent news.
  • Type: Presentation and discussion
  • Goals: Inform W3C participants about what's happening in the IETF regarding pervasive monitoring, and spur discussion about what impact this might have on W3C work.
  • Interested: Hirotaka Nakajima, Wendy Seltzer, Virginie Galindo, Dom Hazael-Massieux, Jonathan Jeon, Manu Sporny, Bryan Sullivan

HTTP/2.0 Update

  • Proposed by: Mark Nottingham (requested by PLH)
  • Summary: Work is well underway on a new version of the web's protocol, HTTP/2.0.
  • Type: Presentation and discussion
  • Goals: Inform W3C participants about what HTTP/2.0 is, what it's status is, and how it impacts W3C work.
  • Interested: Hirotaka Nakajima, Yosuke Funahashi, Hayato Ozawa, Natasha Rooney, Bo Hu, Silvia Pfeiffer, Manu Sporny, Wonsuk Lee

Second Screen for the Web

  • Proposed by: Dominik Röttsches, Hongbo Min, Anssi Kostiainen
  • Summary: Native apps are able to use secondary displays to share the viewing experience across screens. Typical use cases include sharing a video or presentation with a larger audience. To bridge this gap with native, we’ve been experimenting with a Web API that allows web pages to programmatically display web content on secondary displays. In this session we will introduce our API proposal, show a live demo of our experimental Chromium implementation, and open the discussion on how to evolve this proposal together with the community.
  • Type: A short presentation, a live demo, and discussion
  • Goals: Bootstrap the W3C Community Group, get interested people on board
  • Break-Out Session Wiki Page
  • Interested: Mozilla, Tomoyuki Shimizu, Natasha Rooney, Dom Hazael-Massieux, Takahiro Sakai, Keiji Yanagiuchi, Kazuhiro Hoya, Yuka Ozawa, Hayato Ozawa, Kunio Numabe, Noriya Sakamoto, Kinji Matsumura, Karen Myers, Jonathan Jeon, Silvia Pfeiffer, Christian Fuhrhop, Olivier Thereaux, Rich Tibbett, Wonsuk Lee, Daniel Davis

Test the Web Foward - What's Next?

  • Proposed by: Rebecca Hauck, Larry Mclister, Israel Noto Garcia
  • Slides
  • Summary:
    • Progress on goals
    • What we think is next
    • Carry the torch
  • Type: Presentation and discussion
  • Goals:
    • Enlist more w3c members to help drive the movement
    • Brainstorm ideas for how to extend the movement beyond just events
  • Plus, T-shirts!!
  • Interested: Masataka Yakura, Alan Stearns, Michael Cooper, Bryan Sullivan, Wonsuk Lee, Zhiqiang Zhang

Entertain Web with Musical Instruments - Web MIDI API

  • Proposed by: Ryoya Kawai (AMEI: Association of Musical Electronics Industory, Yamaha)
  • Summary: To share what developers build when they get the power of music(focused on MIDI), what else we can control by Web MIDI API to create entertainment web?
  • Type: Presentation and discussion
  • Goals: Obtain greate ideas for creating entertainment web.
  • Interested: Kazuhiro Hoya, Hayato Ozawa, Chris Lilley, Olivier Thereaux, Michael Cooper

Testing - Status and Future Plans

  • Proposed by: jgraham
  • Summary: The effort to improve the testing of the web platform has been gaining momentum for some time. The goal of this session is to look at what we have achieved so far, and discuss what problems remain to be solved.
  • Type: Presentation and discussion
  • Goals: Inform participants about the current state of the testsuite and get ideas for overcoming the problems we currently face.
  • Interested: ArtB, Yosuke Funahashi, Hayato Ozawa, Masataka Yakura, Alan Stearns, Michael Cooper, Bryan Sullivan, Zhiqiang Zhang

How does Telecom involve in W3C?

  • Proposed by: Qiuling Pan, Ruinan Sun, Gang Liang
  • Summary: Currently internet economy extends to the real economy.Telecom also is affected by web technologies. For example, many OTT provide voice and message services by web page. Mobile Internet usage will be the future. How to converge Telecom technologies with WEB technologies to meet the mobile internet development?
  • Type: Presentation and discussion
  • Goals: Inform participants about the current state of the mobile internet and get ideas for invoking telecom in W3C.
  • Interested:Yang Sun

How to attract Chinese involving in the W3C activity?

  • Proposed by: Qiuling Pan, Ruinan Sun, Gang Liang
  • Summary: Discussion about current situation of Chinese participation in W3C. Summarize the main problems and opportunities, and find a way of improving the activities of Chinese in W3C future work.
  • Type: Survey and discussion
  • Goals: Inform participants about the current state of Chinese participation and get ideas for improvement.
  • Interested: Kang-Hao (Kenny) Lu, Zhiqiang Zhang, Yang Sun

Media Resources In-band Tracks

  • Proposed by: Cyril Concolato
  • Summary: The Media Resources In-band Track Community Group was recently started. This session is meant to kick-off this activity, discuss the first steps.
  • Type: Discussion
  • Goals: Reviewing the initial documents and agree on future steps.
  • Interested: Silvia Pfeiffer, Olivier Thereaux

Towards paginated layouts for (e-)books using Web technologies

  • Proposed by: Dave Cramer & Bert Bos
  • Summary: The DPug IG and the CSS WG started listing features that are not yet available from CSS (or other Web technologies), but the list is not complete, and, moreover, only few features so far have a home in some Working Draft.
  • Type: open discussion
  • Goals: (1) What are the (most important) missing features of the Web Platform for the layout of (e-)books? (2) Where in CSS (or elsewhere in W3C) should they be defined? (3) Who can work on them?
  • Interested: Alan Stearns, Michael Cooper, Brady Duga, Wonsuk Lee, Markus Gylling

WebPlatform Docs: Where we are, what our plans are, how it can help your spec

  • Proposed by: Eliot Graff
  • Summary: WebPlatform Docs is the documentation site for the open web platform. We'll present a status report of the state of the site and the how it's relevant to you, and how you and your organization can benefit from participation.
  • Session: 20 minute talk about Webplatform.org followed by open discussion
  • Goals
    • Provide information on the status of WPD.
    • Show benefits to spec editors, WG members, and others for getting involved.
    • Discuss opportunities for localizing and translating content for web developers.
  • Additional speakers: Doug Schepers
  • Interested: Masataka Yakura