Difference between revisions of "TPAC2012/SessionIdeas"

From W3C Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
(Moving W3C repositories to git)
Line 348: Line 348:
 
<ul class="show_items">
 
<ul class="show_items">
 
* [http://www.w3.org/2012/08/web-and-automotive/ Web and Automotive Workshop], can we get Dave Raggett or a co-Chair to organize?
 
* [http://www.w3.org/2012/08/web-and-automotive/ Web and Automotive Workshop], can we get Dave Raggett or a co-Chair to organize?
 +
* DSR indicates that this is unlikely to happen.
 
</ul>
 
</ul>
  

Revision as of 19:56, 11 October 2012

We encourage attendees to start brainstorming TPAC2012 session ideas in advance of the meeting. See the TPAC 2012 FAQ for more information.

Sessions You Volunteer to Do

Please provide:

    • session name (as a === subhead === )
    • session proposer (optional: name a desired session leader, can be yourself)
    • one sentence session summary
    • 1+ paragraph session description
    • type of session: (e.g.: talk, panel, open discussion, etc.)
    • additional speakers/panelists

And feel free to simply add them here at the top.

APIs for Trusted Web Applications

Proposers: Dave Raggett, Daniel Appelquist

Web APIs have traditionally been developed to protect users visiting potentially untrusted websites, necessitating a cautious approach to security that limits what a particular website can do. There is an emerging interest in applying Web technologies for building Web applications with comparable capabilities to native applications. This requires stronger integration with the host platform than is the case for traditional web pages. The contrast between the two contexts can be illustrated by comparing a) an application with limited access to specific fields in the user's contacts, and b) an application that implements a contacts manager, where the application is entrusted with the ability to access, create, delete and update entries.

W3C has recently launched the System Applications Working Group to address the demand for APIs for trusted web applications. This group is only just getting started and it was too late to arrange a formal face to face meeting at this year's TPAC. This session is proposed as an informal meeting for people interested in this area who would like to learn about and discuss the direction to be covered by the SysApps WG.

Web and Broadcasting in The Time of Disaster: Lessons, Studies, and Future Actions

Proposer: Yosuke Funahashi

One topic that is gaining more and more attention from concerned stakeholders around the world involves lessons learned by media organizations during and after the Great East Japan Earthquake. To help clarify what needs to be done in the future, the media-related events below were held in Japan and organized by such stakeholders as IPTVF-J, W3C, the United Nations, the World Bank, Google and Twitter.

    • Disaster Information and Media session in Symposium on Web and TV 2012 (IPTVF-J, W3C) [report]
    • Big Tent Sendai: The Role of Technology in Disaster Preparedness and Relief (Google, the United Nations) [site]
    • Sendai Dialogue (the World Bank) [site]
    • Big Data Workshop on the Great East Japan Earthquake (Google, Twitter) [site]

I would like to present an executive summary of these events to give you an overview of the hot topics and follow that with a discussion on what the Web or web standards can do in this area.

Agenda:

    • Executive Summary:
      • Hot Topics on Disaster Information and Media Technologies (Web, Broadcasting, ...)
    • Discussion:
      • Potential topics are:
        • What were the unexpected use cases?
        • How the Web and broadcasting worked well together and how they can work more synergistically in the future.
        • What kind of existing and new web standards will help?
        • Can Semantic Web / Linked Open Data help?

Authentication and Identity on the Web Using Unphishable Credentials

Proposer: Harry Halpin

Topics:

    • Discuss how Crypto API could be used http://www.w3.org/TR/WebCryptoAPI/
    • Discuss related work in other bodies such as OpenID Foundation, Mozilla Personae, IETF future HTTPAuth WG, JOSE WG, NSTIC, and other W3C WGs such as WebRTC.
    • Discuss what work the W3C should do in this space and time-scales.

People who have expressed interest:

WebID and RWWeb

Proposer: Henry Story

Topics:

  1. Presentation:
  2. Hands on using tools the community has built
    • Make a WebID profile and certificate for each person present
    • build a group of all members present and publish using ldp
    • give access to resources to members of the group to some resources, members and their friends to others, etc... ( by editing access control rules using ldp)
    • build/demo an html+javascript client purely based on linked data using the above
  3. Discussion
    • how can this be used at the W3C? Some ideas:
      • improve over current access control at W3C
      • increase flexibility for W3C Members to create policies of access
      • services for authenticated robots - such as access to paying validation services, linked data robots, ...
    • discussion of WG that may need to be created
    • Compare and contrast with work done in other groups such as OpenID Foundation, Mozilla Personae, IETF future HTTPAuth WG, JOSE WG, NSTIC, and other W3C WGs such as WebRTC.

People who have expressed interest: Alexandre Bertails (W3C), David Wood, Antoine Zimmermann, Melvin Carvalho, Sebastian Trueg (OpenLink SW), Pierre Maret

Test the Web Forward Recap & Future Planning

Proposers and leaders: Rebecca Hauck and Alan Stearns

  • For those who were unable to attend any of the TTWF events in 2012, a recap of the events
  • For those who did attend any of them, a post-mortem on what worked well and what improvements could be made
  • Brainstorming & partnering with other W3C members to host more in the future

People who have expressed interest: Tobie Langel, Odin Hørthe Omdal

Linked Data: Helping Public Sector to Publish High Quality Data

Proposer and facilitator: Bernadette Hyland

  • Please join us in a discussion of what can be done to better articulate the value proposition of Linked Data in a way that makes sense to public and private sector managers with budgets.
  • What's working well with efforts to make the Web of Data indispensable?
  • What can be improved?
  • Discuss approaches to resolve the "Four Challenges of Open Data" as described by Jeni Tennison, see http://www.theodi.org/blog/four-challenges-open-data
  • How can the W3C lend support in a way that also complements the W3C's goals?
  • Plan to share (briefly) how you're publishing and/or consuming Linked Data, inside or outside the firewall.

People who have expressed interest: David Wood, Ivan Herman

Web Intents and Web Intents for local services

Proposer: Claes Nilsson (Sony Mobile) / Naoyuki Sato (Sony)

Topics:

  • General Web Intents presentation and a demo by Greg Billock (Google)
  • Presentation of Web Intents Addendum for local service specification by Claes Nilsson (Sony Mobile)
  • Web Intents Addendum demo by Kensaku Komatsu (NTT communications) / Naoyuki Sato (Sony)
  • Questions and discussion

Client & Server JS APIs

Proposer: Alexandre Morgaut (4D)

A recommendations transversal work

Topics:

  • Defining W3C recommendation for Server-side JavaScript APIs
  • Making Client-side JS APIs adaptable to the server context
  • Remote debugging for Remote (Server) Workers

Community Groups

Proposer: Ian Jacobs

Topics:

    • Some data and stories about community groups
    • Proposed small policy changes
    • Review some upcoming UI improvements
    • Review key survey results

People who have expressed interest: Bernadette Hyland

Distributing Data now at dir.w3.org

Proposer: David Wood

The W3C Community Directory at http://dir.w3.org is currently a central repository for community information. The service is built using Linked Data, but requires user accounts to be created and managed in order to provide or update information. A new (Open Source) software release allows for the distribution of directory information via RDFa in HTML pages on Member sites such that the community directory may be automatically updated without the need for user accounts. Anyone could (theoretically) provide a URL to a Web page to the site operators; the site could then automatically spider, collate and display the community directory information. This approach would allow for both a showcase of key W3C technologies and remove the current impediments to use associated with user accounts.

Topics:

    • Eating our own dog food: Embedding RDFa with directory information
    • Encouraging Members and Invited Experts to provide directory information via RDFa
    • Modifying dir.w3.org to collect, collate and display distributed directory information using the current platform

People who have expressed interest: Bernadette Hyland, Ivan Herman

WebPlatform.org


Making the multilingual web work

Building in and on the Social Web: Best and Worst Practices

    • Instead of just talking about how we can plug "Social" into existing applications or build upon current Social platforms, let's *get* social. Bring your powerpoint (or slidy) karaoke, lightning talks, mad libs (fill in the blanks with "social") to kick-start a serious conversation about where standards can help the Social Web.
    • Proposed by Wendy Seltzer

Digital marketing and the Web

    • Considering a series of Workshops in 2013 starting with the interoperability of digital marketing across OWP-supported devices. Karen Myers to organize.
    • Karen notes we will want to avoid scheduling simultaneously Digital Publishing and Digital Marketing.

Digital Publishing and the Web

Organizer: Ivan Herman

The publishing industry at large is undergoing a major change as a result of the Internet and the Web. These shifts include changes on what is being published, how the published material is presented to the consumer, what support and what format the published information is produced on, what the new business models are, what is the role of search engines, libraries, electronic catalogs, electronic archives in a new, modern era of publishing, etc.

Answers to these challenges are are not yet settled by the industry and are subject of ongoing discussions. One general fact is, however, that the publishing industry has become one of the major users of the W3C standards, i.e., of the Open Web Platform, of a Web of Data, etc. But publishing is not only a consumer of W3C standards: it is also primary player on the Web and hence a major source of feedback on the technologies in terms of requirements.

W3C is considering playing a more active role in this area, in cooperation with all the other stakeholders, organizations, and of course commercial entities in this area.

    • Considering a series of workshops: ebooks, publishing workflow for now; possibly journal/magazine publishing, scientific publishing, and metadata at some later stage.
    • Ivan Herman to organize. See if Markus Gyilling available.

Performance

    • In advance of Web Performance Workshop, organized by Tobie Langel and (we hope) Paul Bakaus.
    • Include a piece on net-friendly applications (or perhaps a different session)?

Is user agent Fingerprinting a lost cause?

Proposer: Brad Hill

As more features and functionality are added to the Web browser, the more risks we create in terms of privacy and security. As user agent complexity increases, and as they expose more "native" variation in the underlying platform, so does their ability to be uniquely identified (and users tracked) through capability analysis.

The EFF's Panopticlick project already tracks ~60 bits of identifying information available in the typical user agent and certainly a more determined effort could find more, in addition to information available through lower-layer technologies like TCP or side-channels like JavaScript performance profiling.

What responsibility do W3C WG's have to make their technologies passive-privacy friendly, and how is that to be balanced with discoverability and usability?

Topics:

    • Is preventing fingerprinting a lost cause in the general purpose web user agent?
    • Where is the bar on trackability? Life-critical anonymity for political dissidents is different in what we can and must promise vs. "casual" anonymity for e.g. advertising
    • Lessons from Do Not Track on technical vs. policy-driven approaches
    • Lessons from anonymous / incognito browser modes
    • Should specs provide standard defaults for anonymous / incognito / Tor browser modes?

People who have expressed interest: Dominique Hazael-Massieux, Wendy Seltzer, Stefan Hakansson

Sessions You Volunteer to Do: "Chair Track"

We've invented this idea of a "Chair track". Not set in stone.

How to chair

I (chaals) volunteer to run a single session on effective ways to manage a meeting. This is an action item from the AB, anyway. Agenda:

    1. get volunteer co-chair
    2. brainstorm techniques
    3. review/select techniques
    4. review chairing process

Interested: Henry Story, Bernadette Hyland

Modern Guide

Proposer: Ian Jacobs

  • We will review the progress of the task force that is revising the Chair Guidebook, and get your feedback on organization of updated documentation.

People who have expressed interest: Olivier Thereaux, Bernadette Hyland

Testing at W3C

  • Tobie Langel, Philippe Le Hégaret, James Graham

People who have expressed interest: Matt Womer, Kaz Ashimura, Giuseppe Pascale, Mark Vickers, Yosuke Funahashi, Odin Hørthe Omdal

Sessions You Volunteer to Do: "Editor Track"

We've invented this idea of a "Editor track". Not set in stone.

New TR styles

Proposer: Vincent Hardy

Topics:

People who have expressed interest: Lea Verou, Divya Manian, Robin Berjon, Fantasai, Tantek Celik, Tobie Langel, Olivier Thereaux

Breakout session on ReSpec

Proposer and fearless leader: Robin Berjon

A lot of specs are now using ReSpec — I would find it helpful to put people in a room and chat.

Topics would include:

    • User feedback
    • Feature requests
    • What's next
    • Transition to v3
    • Non-W3C documents (IETF has been mentioned many times, Opera uses it for internal documentation, etc.)
    • Better UI
    • Linting, obviating pubrules, validation, link checking
    • How to contribute
    • The shared bibref service
    • Anything else people are interested in

My first thought would be a breakout session of the same kind we had last year, but I'm open to other formats as well.

People who have expressed interest: Tobie Langel, Olivier Thereaux, Bernadette Hyland, Ivan Herman

Moving W3C repositories to git

Proposer: Rebecca Hauck / James Graham

  • Discussion of the advantages / disadvantages of using git+github for W3C-related work
  • Working through the technical and social issues such a change would cause

People who have expressed interest: Tobie Langel, Odin Hørthe Omdal

People who think git is overkill for W3C needs: David Wood

The Future of Pubrules

Proposer: Philippe Le Hegaret / Ted Guild

  • Discussion of the advantages / disadvantages of current pubrules
  • Future of /TR
  • "Automatic" publishing

Sessions You Want Someone Else to Organize

Please provide:

    • session topic (as a === subhead === )
    • your name
    • one sentence session summary
    • 1+ paragraph session description
    • If you support this session idea and are not the original proponent, please put your name and any supporting rationale. (Or, if you think this is not a good idea, please explain why.)

Web and Automotive

Do not track and beyond

Intro Day

    • I would like to see an Intro Day at TPAC, How to be a WG Participant (Liam)
      • Ian Jacobs: We are having a new rep breakfast on Tuesday

E-learning standards

    • Lack of e-learning standards? (Marie-Claire)
    • Topics of work would cover data exchange formats, emphasis on WAI and Internationalisation/multilingualism, use of HTML5. Evaluation of mobile learning too.

OWP Completeness

    • What do we need to do to make the OWP more complete?

More Chair Track suggestions

    • Profiles and modularity (HTML WG? CSS WG?) Paul Cotton? Tantek Celik?
    • Web for All: Horizontal aspects of our work (Panel with Shawn Henry, Shadi Abou-Zahra, Richard Ishida, Security rep? Privacy rep?)

Process updates

  • AB can give progress report. SteveZ to organize?

W3C staff notes on some suggestions

Just notes. Actual session proposals (that you want to do, or want someone to do) go above.

Chair face-to-face

  • Part of a day. Suggested by TLR and with strong support of Membership (see May 2012 chairs thread).
  • Some topics
    • How do we find more quality editors?
    • How much Process do we need to apply?
    • How can we get things moving faster?
    • What's the best place to have "Make It So, Team Contact" t-shirts printed?
    • How do we make our work and documents more nimble?
    • What parts of the Patent Policy are often ignored but particularly useful?
    • Which of the gavel or bullwhip is most effective?
    • Share your practical tricks (logistic, edito, document, great minutes ...) ?
    • How to integrate the W3C transversal topics in deliverables(privacy, accessibility, ...) ?
    • What about a standard WG dashboard for reporting our activities ?

Making Web Platform as good as Native

  • Talk to PH, TBL

People who have expressed interest: Tobie Langel, Daniel Glazman (not willing to be on a panel though).