From W3C Wiki
RDF may be useful for describing documents, but it will become invaluable for describing images. There are some ImageDescriptionRdfExamples showing how people have described aspects of images in RDF in various ways.
May 12, 2008
The proposed W3C Video Activity encompasses a Working Group which might be chartered to work on this topic (including image metadata and an API to access the metadata)
An incubator on Media metadata and annotations has published the result of its work.
- Image Annotation on the Semantic Web, W3C Incubator Group Report 14 August 2007
- Multimedia Vocabularies on the Semantic Web, W3C Incubator Group Report 24 July 2007
There has not been set a date for the next meeting, but it is agreed it should be soon.
Discussion topics were
- Gallery Schema for describing collections of images.
- Privacy Schema to restrict access to photos or galleries.
Older Discussion Links
ImageDescriptionList describes a possible W3C-hosted mailing list for this topic.
GregElin has posted a few thoughts to his Reminder of IRC-based conversations and demos:
- 2nd #rdfig Image Description chat: content description (RDF/SVG/etc) 10:30 AM EDT (New York Time) = 1430 UTC, Wednesday August 27
- (1) EXIF + RDF at 9:00 AM EST (New York Time) = 1300UTC, Wednesday August 13. See attendee list and full chat transcript
- (2) Image and Content Description Show and Tell (RDF/SVG,etc) at 10:30 AM EDT (New York Time) = 1430 UTC, Wednesday August 27 DUH BLOG (aka GregElin) brief writeup with link to transcript 
Sign up here if you'd be interested.
(there's lots of interest in this but we've missed the June date - any other suggestion? - start of August 2003?)
RDF, SVG and Imagemaps
A digital image depicting four people can be marked up as an HTML imagemap; in this case we associated mailto: URIs with each region that depicts a person. Then imagemap2svg.xslt converts this to an SVG image, also available as a PNG. In addition, imagemap2meta.rb, a Ruby program that (hack)parses HTML imagemaps (at least those generated by The Gimp), so they could be represented in RDF and/or SVG. A a bit more of this is written up as 'codepiction in SVG'.
The MINDSWAP group at the Univ of Md has been doing some work to generalize some of the work started by Foaf above. Our Smore project (which includes a demo that runs under webstart) includes a photo markup that uses SVG overlays as well. Here is an example:
Images and RSS
- picdiary (and hackdiary) sites from mattb
- libby's photo/rss stuff
- Pheed--RSS 2.0 photo extension expirement
- An example RSS channel for image blogs
- Some proposals for image modules to RSS
- Image description with FOAF and RSS (mainly Japanese, with some English summary)
EXIF/other RDF stuff
- EXIF spec
- TIFF EXIF tags, note higher-level TIFF tag search page that also covers the EXIF tags
- Photo metadata software/notes from Gerald Oskoboiny
- Describing and retrieving photos using RDF and HTTP
- Jigsaw code for getting text from JPEGs
- RDFPic, a tool (written in Java) to insert RDF metadata in the EXIF section of a JPEG image
- Picture Metadata Toolkit, a java framework to deal with image metadata
- Jhead, command-line prog extracts JPEG EXIF info, as hacked to generate RDF/N3 (in C)
- GPS-tagging photos. See also GeoInfo.
- Exif data description vocabulary and notes and discussion on image description
- EXIF RDF Schema + Introduction @ W3C moved from Kanzaki Web site. If you need to modify something on the page. Ping KarlDubost or DanBri
- Flickr2RDF translates Flickr 'notes' into W3PhotoVocabs and other RDF vocab.
- Gallery Ontology, a schema to describe galleries or image collections.
An RDF Photo-annotating bot
Matt Biddulph has done a significant amount of work on an RDF photo-annotating tool for his weblog. The inital background for his project can be found here, and here are the slides from his talk at XMLEurope
integrate more stuff from [ http://ilrt.org/discovery/chatlogs/rdfig/2003-04-24#T18-55-33 discussion 24Apr]
Fotonotes(TM) proposes a simple interface and data framework for managing images as a plurality of objects and to make the depicted objects and related stories addressable content independent of the original image.
- Demo of Greg Elin's Fotonotes technology
- Greg's post on digital cameras as data gathering devices instead of pretty picture making device
- iPhoto Keyword Assistant