GoodRelations is a lightweight ontology for annotating offerings and other aspects of e-commerce on the Web.
It provides a standard vocabulary for expressing things like
- that a particular Web site describes an offer to sell cellphones of a certain make and model at a certain price,
- that a pianohouse offers maintenance for pianos that weigh less than 150 kg,
- or that a car rental company leases out cars of a certain make and model from a particular set of branches across the country.
Also, most if not all commercial and functional details of e-commerce scenarios can be expressed, e.g. eligible countries, payment and delivery options, quantity discounts, opening hours, etc.
The GoodRelations ontology is available under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 license. In a nutshell, you are free to copy, distribute and transmit the work; to remix/adapt the work (e.g. to import the ontology and create specializations of its elements), as long as you attribute the work.
GoodRelations is officially supported by Yahoo SearchMonkey and other major applications.
Project page and resources for developers
- Project Page: http://purl.org/goodrelations/
- Primer/Tutorial: http://www.heppnetz.de/projects/goodrelations/primer/
- Webcast explaining the Web of Data for E-Commerce: http://www.heppnetz.de/projects/goodrelations/webcast/
- Overview article on Semantic Universe: http://www.semanticuniverse.com/articles-semantic-web-based-e-commerce-webmasters-get-ready.html
Tools for Generating Data
- Tool for registering your business: http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/tools/goodrelations-annotator/
- Joomla/VirtueMart Extension: http://code.google.com/p/goodrelations-for-joomla/
- osCommerce Extension: http://code.google.com/p/goodrelations-for-oscommerce/
Related Vocabularies / Ontologies
- eClassOWL 5.1.4: http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/ontologies/eclass/5.1.4/
- freeClassOWL: http://www.freeclass.eu/freeclass_v1
Hepp, Martin: GoodRelations: An Ontology for Describing Products and Services Offers on the Web, Proceedings of the 16th International Conference on Knowledge Engineering and Knowledge Management (EKAW2008), Acitrezza, Italy, September 29 - October 3, 2008, Springer LNCS, Vol 5268, pp. 332-347.