SweoIG/Meetings/2007-02-21 Conference Call

From W3C Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Conference Details

  • Date of Call: Wednesday February 21, 2007
  • Time of Call: 10:00am ET; 3pm GMT
  • Dial-In #: +1.617.761.6200 (Cambridge, MA)
  • Dial-In #: +33.4.89.06.34.99 (Nice, France)
  • Dial-In #: +44.117.370.6152 (Bristol, UK)
  • Participant Access Code: 7936 ("SWEO")
  • IRC Channel: irc.w3.org port 6665 channel #SWEO (see W3C IRC page for details, or see Web IRC)
  • Duration: ~1 hour
  • Convener: Susie Stephens
  • Scribe:

Agenda

  • Review action items - Susie
  • Discuss Community Projects to support - All
  • InfoGathering Task - Leo
  • Enterprise survey publication - Karen/Wing
  • Use case progress - Susie
  • F2F update - Susie
  • AOB

Minutes

  • ** Welcome to CGI:IRC 0.5.4 (2004/01/29)
  • ** Looking up irc.w3.org
  • ** Connecting to irc.w3.org [128.30.52.28] port 6665

-irc.w3.org- *** Hello, you are connecting to irc.w3.org, the progress of your connection follows -irc.w3.org- *** If you experience problems connecting, you may want to check http://www.w3.org/Project/IRC/ -irc.w3.org- *** Looking up your hostname...

  • ** Welcome to the W3C IRC Network Susie
  • ** Your host is irc.w3.org[mcclure.w3.org], running version sor1.3.4
  • ** This server was created Thu Mar 6 2003 at 19:34:50 EST
  • ** sor1.3.4 oilmwsghOkcf Hbciklmnopstv
  • ** NETWORK=W3C WTCH_BROKEN=128 MODES=3 CHANMODES=b,kov,l,Hcimnpst CHANTYPES=#& KICKLEN=307 MAXBANS=60 MAXCHANNELS=10 NICKLEN=17 PREFIX=(ov)@+ SILENCE=5 TOPICLEN=307 WALLCHOPS are available on this server
  • ** There are 83 users and 42 invisible on 2 servers
  • ** 1 operator(s) online
  • ** 65 channels formed
  • ** I have 73 clients and 1 servers

-irc.w3.org- Highest connection count: 162 (161 clients)

  • ** - irc.w3.org Message of the Day -
  • ** - 2/3/2006 10:01
  • ** -
  • ** - Welcome to the IRC server on irc.w3.org:6665.
  • ** -
  • ** - Note: this server is INSECURE; you should assume that anyone could be
  • ** - listening to anything you say here.
  • ** -
  • ** - This server is generally restricted to use by W3C staff and collaborators.
  • ** -
  • ** - If you are a W3C Staff member, please join the secure server on irc.w3.org:6667
  • ** -
  • ** - via an ssh tunnel.
  • ** -
  • ** - If you have any questions, see:
  • ** -
  • ** - http://www.w3.org/Project/IRC/
  • ** -
  • ** - or contact <sysreq@w3.org>.
  • ** -
  • ** - $Id: ircd.motd,v 1.6 2006/03/02 15:00:44 root Exp $
  • ** -
  • ** End of /MOTD command.
    • ** Susie [945701ac@128.30.52.23] has joined #sweo
  • ** Susie RRSAgent Zakim PaulaP wing pasquale LeeF @kidehen
  • ** Channel created on Wed Feb 21 14:25:49 2007
<LeeF> Meeting: Semantic Web Education and Outreach
<LeeF> Chair: Susie
<LeeF> Agenda: http://esw.w3.org/topic/SweoIG/Meetings/2007-02-21_Conference_Call
 <LeeF> Regrets: ivan
<Susie> Regrets, Martin D., Uldis B., Kjetil K, Ivan H., Dunja E., Alistair D.
<wing> whoa
<wing> where is everyone?
<Zakim> +[IPcaller]
<Zakim> -[IPcaller]
<Zakim> +[IPcaller]
<Zakim> + +49.898.41.aaaa
<Zakim> + +1.781.744.aabb
  • PaulaP zakim, aaa is me
  • Zakim sorry, PaulaP, I do not recognize a party named 'aaa'
<Zakim> +Karen
<Zakim> +??P27
<LeeF> zakim, 1.781.744.aabb is Susie
<Zakim> sorry, LeeF, I do not recognize a party named '1.781.744.aabb'
  • PaulaP zakim, +49.898.41.aaa is me
  • Zakim +PaulaP; got it
<LeeF> zakim, aabb is Susie
<Zakim> +Susie; got it
<LeeF> zakim, IPcaller is bengee
<Zakim> +bengee; got it
<LeeF> zakim, ??P27 is kidehen
<Zakim> +kidehen; got it
<LeeF> zakim, who's on the phone?
<Zakim> On the phone I see LeeF, bengee, PaulaP, Susie, Karen, kidehen
<Zakim> +Orri_Erling
<LeeF> zakim, LeeF holds LeeF, wing
<Zakim> +LeeF, wing; got it
  • PaulaP zakim, mute me
  • Zakim PaulaP should now be muted
  • ** Karen [karen@128.30.52.30] has joined #sweo
 <LeeF> Regrets: Martin D., Uldis B., Kjetil K, Ivan H., Dunja E., Alistair D.
  • LeeF (the colon lets the minutes software pick up the list of regrets)
<Susie> OK :-)
  • PaulaP needs to leave earlier today, sorry
  • LeeF wants to know where all the GRDDL people are :-)
  • PaulaP :)
  • LeeF will help
<LeeF> zakim, mute me please
<Zakim> LeeF should now be muted
  • ** danja [danja@80.104.220.166] has joined #sweo
 <LeeF> Susie: reviews action items, which all continue
<Susie> Feddback on community [projects from 10 people
<Karen> s/Feedback
<Susie> Winning project was FOAF based White Listing for Fighting Spam
<Zakim> +[IPcaller]
<danja> that's me
<LeeF> zakim, IPcaller is danja
<Zakim> +danja; got it
<Susie> 2nd project was Powder Browser Extension 
  • ** leobard [leo.sauerm@88.134.53.198] has joined #sweo
 <leobard> hi all, sorry for being late
<Susie> 3rd project Interlinking Open Data on the Semantic Web
<leobard> we are moving our company at the moment
<Susie> 4th was Knowee / contact organizer 
  • Karen wonders if there is a pointer to this?
<Susie> ACTION: Susie to post community project results
  • RRSAgent records action 1
<PaulaP> +1
<Karen> +1
  • leobard has problems dialing in, passcode 7936 not valid, any clues?
<bengee> worked for me today, leobard
<danja> leobard, in the past (for grddl-wg) I often had to retry many times
  • Karen suggests you try number again and press zero so someone at W3C admin can patch you in
  • Karen number is +1.617.761.6200
<kidehen> Susie: GRRDL folks are here so usual Intro slot needs to be allotted
<LeeF> zakim, who's on the phone?
<Zakim> On the phone I see LeeF (muted), bengee, PaulaP (muted), Susie, Karen, kidehen, Orri_Erling, danja
<Zakim> LeeF has LeeF, wing
<Susie> Need to decide on cut off for projects
<kidehen> LeeF: was kingsley talking to Susie before danja started
<Susie> Danny Ayers introduces himself
<Susie> Danny worked on SemWeb for quite some time.
<Zakim> +Jeff_Schiffel
<kidehen> danja: do not forget the mailing list intro :-)
<danja> kidehen, ok
<kidehen> danja: anyone else form GRDDL on the call?
<kidehen> s/form/from
<danja> don't think so - iand might need a ping
<Zakim> +??P8
<Susie> Susie proposes supporting the top 4 projects
  • leobard is on the phoneline now....
<Zakim> -Karen
<leobard> is the open data in the top 4? then I am pro :-)
<bengee> danja's ml intro: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-sweo-ig/2006Nov/0055.html
<Zakim> +Karen
<Susie> KI supports idea of supoorting 4 projects 
  • danja admires bengee's memory ;-)
<Karen> q+
  • Zakim sees Karen on the speaker queue
<bengee> nah, I was just googling as I had no idea who that danny ayers guy is
<Susie> Support community projects by writing use cases, presenting on projects at conferences, giving demos, and blog about projects
<Susie> Karen asks about criteria for selecting projects
<danja> is Kjetil in sweo?
<LeeF> danja, yes
<LeeF> He sent his regrets for today
<Susie> ACTION: Kjetil to share more thoughts on how to support projects
  • RRSAgent records action 2
<leobard> actually, thats not complicated to teach in austrian semantic web school
<leobard> we just tell them, they are open to us
  • danja should have read the wiki : "I hope that the community can come together and create either a web service or a Perl module..."
<PaulaP> +1 for discussing this issue with the sw school
<leobard> anonymous!
<leobard> hihihihi...
  • LeeF needs to be anonymous, otherwise Paul won't buy me my beer when he sees my votes.  :-)
<danja> heh
<kidehen> Note: Susie has covered "Outreach" and "Education" elements of SWEO project support :-)
<Susie> Leo reviews InfoGathering Task
<Susie> Leo has tidied up the Wiki site
<Susie> Leo wants to make a Semantic Web Information portal
<danja> aside: sweo isn't mentioned on front page of wiki
<LeeF> That seems easily remedied, danja
<leobard> http://esw.w3.org/topic/SweoIG/TaskForces/InfoGathering
  • danja anticipates edit conflict
<Susie> 2 approaches
<Susie> 1 integrate data and form a stream
<Susie> 2nd is to use existing software
<Susie> Suggestions to use WordPress
<Susie> IH asked how the system could run for years - who will look after it
<Susie> W3C could look after it, W3C members, or other companies
  • PaulaP ...need to go now...sorry...bye
<Zakim> -PaulaP
<Susie> Paul W and Benjamin volunteered to help
  • ** PaulaP [patranja@89.49.144.108] has quit [Quit: using sirc version 2.211+KSIRC/1.3.12]
<leobard> susie: this is going to take a lot of project management
<leobard> susie: there is the hosting aspect of it, building, communicating with the people providign the data sources
<leobard> susie: it sounds good to leave the data in the existing source
<leobard> susie: this will also show semantic web technologies
<leobard> susie: but it always takes longer than expected... 
<leobard> susie: it would be good to deliver something quickl
<Susie> KI: make source data in a particular format 
<leobard> q+
  • Zakim sees Karen, leobard on the speaker queue
<Susie> Leo: Thinks data providers would be happy to make data available in RDF
<Susie> Leo: If only show data and not have tools, then won't be successful
<danja> longwell is nice
<Susie> KI: Several RDF browsers about to be released
<LeeF> q+
  • Zakim sees Karen, leobard, LeeF on the speaker queue
<LeeF> q-
  • Zakim sees Karen, leobard on the speaker queue
<Susie> Leo: need to provide interface for people who aren't so technical
<LeeF> (Because Leo is saying what I was going to say)
<kidehen> LeeF: a (X)HTML page that fronts the RDF Data Sources, right?
<LeeF> The information needs to be presented in an accessible manner to people totally unfamiliar with the Semantic Web - I don't think a generic RDF browser - even a user friendly generic RDF browser - will suffice. But I've said this before so I feel like I'm beating a dead horse
<kidehen> LeefF: True, so we are talking about the Web Pages to pulls these pieces (Browsers, Data Sources etc.) together
<kidehen> LeeF: which could be a wiki page (at least during the draft stage)
<LeeF> zakim, please unmute me
<Zakim> LeeF should no longer be muted
<leobard> Leef: I think both is needed: RDF data and generic browsing AND a shiny nice website showing the data especially for newbies
<Susie> Lee: highlight the most useful categories of information
<leobard> (last post was adressed from me to lee, not said by him)
<Susie> Lee: To do that you don't need faceted browser. If data available, and annotated, then that's just another facet.
<kidehen> +q
  • Zakim sees Karen, leobard, kidehen on the speaker queue
<Karen> -q Karen
  • Zakim sees leobard, kidehen on the speaker queue
<LeeF> zakim, mute me please
<Zakim> LeeF should now be muted
<kidehen> -q
  • Zakim sees leobard on the speaker queue
<LeeF> In other words: I'm a bit agnostic about whether we try to do this using a faceted browser or not, as long as the result communicates what we're trying to communicate
<LeeF> One point in favor of a faceted browsing approach is that it extends naturally to doing industry- and position-specific lists of resources (a la the cubes we discussed at the F2F)
<Susie> ACTION: Leo to provide sample data format by Feb. 28
  • RRSAgent records action 3
<LeeF> zakim, unmute me please
<Zakim> LeeF should no longer be muted
<Susie> Wing and Karen met together to identify format for the enterprise survey
<Susie> Wing is going to take a closer look at the data to see if there are more interesting findings.
<Susie> Wing is goingto see if interesting quotes
<Susie> Karen to see how this can shape our messaging
<kidehen> leobard: fine. 
<kidehen> leobard:  I am registered properly for private messages :-(
<Susie> ACTION: Survey report available by March 14
  • RRSAgent records action 4
<kidehen> leobard: sure
<wing> zakim, mute me please
<Zakim> sorry, wing, I do not know which phone connection belongs to you
<LeeF> zakim, mute me 
<Zakim> LeeF should now be muted
<Susie> http://esw.w3.org/topic/SweoIG/TaskForces/Use_Cases
<leobard> +q
  • Zakim sees leobard on the speaker queue
<Susie> ACTION: Susie to chase people about use cases
  • RRSAgent records action 5
<Karen> q+
  • Zakim sees leobard, Karen on the speaker queue
<Susie> Karen: W3C has an office in Sweden. Interested in visitors who want to visit or speak at events.
<LeeF> zakim, unmute me
<Zakim> LeeF should no longer be muted
  • danja has to dive out, grddl-wg telecon
<kidehen> +q
  • Zakim sees leobard, Karen, kidehen on the speaker queue
<kidehen> -q
  • Zakim sees leobard, Karen on the speaker queue
<danja> byee
<Zakim> -danja
<Zakim> -Karen
<kidehen> Susie: This is why I wanted us to conclude the discussion via the mailing list
  • Karen has to leave
<kidehen> bye
<Zakim> -Jeff_Schiffel
<Zakim> -Orri_Erling
<Zakim> -bengee
  • ** kidehen left #sweo []
<Zakim> -kidehen
<Zakim> -Susie
<Zakim> -??P8
<Zakim> -LeeF

<Zakim> SW_SWEO()10:00AM has ended <Zakim> Attendees were +49.898.41.aaaa, +1.781.744.aabb, Karen, PaulaP, Susie, bengee, kidehen, Orri_Erling, LeeF, wing, danja, Jeff_Schiffel