HCLSIG BioRDF Subgroup/Meetings/2006-10-30 Conference Call
From W3C Wiki
- Date of Call: Monday October 30, 2006
- Time of Call: 11:00am Eastern Time
- Dial-In #: +1.617.761.6200 (Cambridge, MA)
- Participant Access Code: 246733 ("BIORDF")
- IRC Channel: irc.w3.org port 6665 channel #BioRDF (see W3C IRC page for details, or see Web IRC)
- Duration: ~1 hour
- Convener: Susie Stephens
- Scribe: Susie Stephens
- Participants: Rex Brooks, Mike Cummins, Marc Wine, Bob Smith, Kerstin Forsberg, Tim Clark, Susie Stephens
- Marc Wine (Chair, Health Information Technology Community of Practice (HITOP) Work Group, Semantic Interoperability Community of Practice (SICoP)) provided an overview of HITOP, describe his interest in semantic technologies, and highlight recent progress. Slides
- There was a discussion regarding possible scientific questions for the demo.
- Tim said that traversing data that has been integrated is valuable, but it's only the first step. What would be more interesting would be to explore the number of claims relating to particular hypotheses. For example, there are many competing models as to how Alzheimers disease works. It would be interest to identify what the less well supported claims are in the model, what are the claims that are contradictory. It would then be nice to identify supporting evidence, and to survey the literature.
- Tim said that he felt that progress would be make quicker if we had a date that we were working towards. He suggested that we aim for a particular conference.
- Susie proposed Bio-IT World as the meeting is in Boston.
- Tim proposed a society for neuroscience meeting or ISMB.
- Tim said that he found semantic technologies offer most value when exploring data, for example, when hidden links are extracted, or when open questions are examined.
- Tim said that he'd be interested in collaborating.