ISSUE-88: Should meta/@content allow a list of languages instead of just a single language?

content-language-multiple

Should meta/@content allow a list of languages instead of just a single language?

State:
CLOSED
Product:
pre-LC1 HTML 5 spec
Raised by:
Michael[tm] Smith
Opened on:
2009-10-29
Description:
quoting Leif Halvard Silli:

[[
http://www.w3.org/mid/op.u2gd6bq7idj3kv@simon-pieterss-macbook.local

According to the draft, <meta http-equiv="Content-Language" content="en" >
"sets the document-wide default language". As a consequence (?), the draft
permits only one language tag in the content attribute.

This represents a deviation from how it otherwise is used and specified - e.g.
in HTML 4.

The draft must say that it defines the languages of the intended audiences, and
that it may be used in content negotiation and in search engines etc. And it
must permit several languages to be specified.

If the spec wants to express a way to decide the "document-wide default
language", then one could define another META element variant for that purpose.
Or one could define that the first listed language in the list of languages
inside "content", represents the documument-wide lanuage. Thus, in in this
example, the document-wide language is "en": <meta
http-equiv="Content-Language" content="en,fr,sp" >

References: http://www.w3.org/International/tutorials/language-decl/
]]

editor's response: "This request doesn't match how the pragma is used in deployed content."

related bugs: http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=8088
Related Actions Items:
Related emails:
  1. RE: {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2011-05-12: Actions, New Issues, Closing Issues, TF reports, Last Call schedule (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2011-05-11)
  2. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2011-04-12: Actions, New Issues, Closing Issues, TF reports, Last Call schedule (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2011-05-11)
  3. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2011-03-24: Issues, surveys, decisions (from mjs@apple.com on 2011-03-23)
  4. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-88 content-language-multiple (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2011-03-19)
  5. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-88 content-language-multiple (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2011-03-19)
  6. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-88 content-language-multiple (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2011-03-19)
  7. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-88 content-language-multiple (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2011-03-19)
  8. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-56 urls-webarch (correction) (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2011-03-19)
  9. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-56 urls-webarch (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2011-03-19)
  10. Working Group Decision on ISSUE-88 content-language-multiple (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2011-03-19)
  11. Working Group Decision on ISSUE-56 urls-webarch (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2011-03-19)
  12. [Bug 12278] New: [polyglot] i18n: Make lang and xml:lang required on the root element. (from bugzilla@jessica.w3.org on 2011-03-10)
  13. HTML Working Group Status (from plh@w3.org on 2010-08-27)
  14. RE: {minutes} HTML WG telecon 2010-08-19: WG decisions, Decision Policy, TF reports (from adrianba@microsoft.com on 2010-08-19)
  15. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2010-08-19: WG decisions, Decision Policy, TF reports (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-08-17)
  16. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2010-08-12: action 29; issues 116, 30, 109, 27; bugs 9894, 10066 (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-08-11)
  17. RE: {minutes} HTML WG telecon 2010-08-04 [task force week] (from adrianba@microsoft.com on 2010-08-05)
  18. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2010-08-04 [task force week] (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-08-04)
  19. {minutes} HTML WG telecon 2010-07-29, WG decisions, issue review, WG surveys (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-07-29)
  20. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2010-07-29, WG decisions, issue review, WG surveys (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-07-27)
  21. RE: {minutes} HTML WG telecon 2010-07-22 (from adrianba@microsoft.com on 2010-07-22)
  22. RE: {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2010-07-22 (from eliotgra@microsoft.com on 2010-07-22)
  23. RE: {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2010-07-22 (from krisk@microsoft.com on 2010-07-22)
  24. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2010-07-22 (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-07-21)
  25. {minutes} HTML WG telecon 2010-07-15 (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-07-15)
  26. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2010-07-15: note new dial-in numbers for Paris and London (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-07-14)
  27. {minutes} HTML WG telecon 2010-07-08: actions, issues, decisions, revised proposals, future surveys, TF reports (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-07-08)
  28. FW: {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2010-07-08: actions, issues, decisions, revised proposals, future surveys, TF reports (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-07-07)
  29. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2010-07-08: actions, issues, decisions, revised proposals, future surveys, TF reports (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-07-07)
  30. [minutes] 20100701 HTML WG (from plh@w3.org on 2010-07-01)
  31. RE: {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2010-07-01: issues, surveys, decisions, publication status, TF reports (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-06-30)
  32. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2010-07-01: issues, surveys, decisions, publication status, TF reports (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-06-30)
  33. {minutes} } HTML WG telecon 2010-07-24: issues, surveys, decisions, publication status, TF reports (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-06-25)
  34. Re: ISSUE-88: content-language-multiple - Straw Poll for Objections (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2010-06-24)
  35. Re: ISSUE-88: content-language-multiple - Straw Poll for Objections (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-06-24)
  36. Re: ISSUE-88: content-language-multiple - Straw Poll for Objections (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2010-06-24)
  37. Re: ISSUE-88: content-language-multiple - Straw Poll for Objections (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-06-24)
  38. Re: ISSUE-88: content-language-multiple - Straw Poll for Objections (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2010-06-24)
  39. Re: ISSUE-88: content-language-multiple - Straw Poll for Objections (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2010-06-24)
  40. Re: ISSUE-88: content-language-multiple - Straw Poll for Objections (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2010-06-24)
  41. Re: ISSUE-88: content-language-multiple - Straw Poll for Objections (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-06-23)
  42. Fwd: {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2010-07-24: issues, surveys, decisions, publication status, TF reports (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-06-23)
  43. ISSUE-88: content-language-multiple - Straw Poll for Objections (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-06-23)
  44. Re: I18N feedback on Issue-88 (from julian.reschke@gmx.de on 2010-05-21)
  45. RE: ISSUE-88 - Change proposal (new update) (from cewcathar@hotmail.com on 2010-05-20)
  46. Re: I18N feedback on Issue-88 (from ian@hixie.ch on 2010-05-20)
  47. Re: I18N feedback on Issue-88 (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2010-05-20)
  48. Re: I18N feedback on Issue-88 (from cewcathar@hotmail.com on 2010-05-19)
  49. Re: I18N feedback on Issue-88 (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2010-05-19)
  50. Re: I18N feedback on Issue-88 (from jonas@sicking.cc on 2010-05-19)
  51. RE: I18N feedback on Issue-88 (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2010-05-19)
  52. RE: I18N feedback on Issue-88 (from addison@lab126.com on 2010-05-19)
  53. RE: I18N feedback on Issue-88 (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2010-05-19)
  54. RE: I18N feedback on Issue-88 (from addison@lab126.com on 2010-05-19)
  55. Re: I18N feedback on Issue-88 (from fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net on 2010-05-19)
  56. Re: I18N feedback on Issue-88 (from fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net on 2010-05-19)
  57. Re: I18N feedback on Issue-88 (from hsivonen@iki.fi on 2010-05-19)
  58. I18N feedback on Issue-88 (from addison@lab126.com on 2010-05-19)
  59. RE: ISSUE-88 - Change proposal (new update) (from cewcathar@hotmail.com on 2010-05-15)
  60. Re: ISSUE-88 - Change proposal (new update) (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2010-05-15)
  61. RE: ISSUE-88 - Change proposal (new update) (from cewcathar@hotmail.com on 2010-05-14)
  62. Re: ISSUE-88 - Change proposal (new update) (from mark@macchiato.com on 2010-05-14)
  63. RE: ISSUE-88 - Change proposal (new update) (from cewcathar@hotmail.com on 2010-05-13)
  64. RE: ISSUE-88 - Change proposal (new update) (from cewcathar@hotmail.com on 2010-05-12)
  65. RE: ISSUE-88 - Change proposal (new update) (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2010-05-12)
  66. RE: ISSUE-88 - Change proposal (new update) (from cewcathar@hotmail.com on 2010-05-11)
  67. Re: ISSUE-88 - Change proposal (new update) (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2010-05-11)
  68. Re: ISSUE-88 - Change proposal (new update) (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2010-05-11)
  69. Re: ISSUE-88 - Change proposal (new update) (from fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net on 2010-05-10)
  70. Re: ISSUE-88 - Change proposal (new update) (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2010-05-08)
  71. Re: ISSUE-88 - Change proposal (new update) (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2010-05-08)
  72. Re: ISSUE-88 - Change proposal (new update) (from fielding@gbiv.com on 2010-05-07)
  73. RE: ISSUE-88 - Change proposal (new update) (from cewcathar@hotmail.com on 2010-05-07)
  74. Re: ISSUE-88 - Change proposal (new update) (from cowan@ccil.org on 2010-05-07)
  75. Re: ISSUE-88 - Change proposal (new update) (from julian.reschke@gmx.de on 2010-05-07)
  76. Re: ISSUE-88 - Change proposal (new update) (from lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au on 2010-05-07)
  77. Re: ISSUE-88 - Change proposal (new update) (from julian.reschke@gmx.de on 2010-05-07)
  78. Re: ISSUE-88 - Change proposal (new update) (from lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au on 2010-05-07)
  79. Re: ISSUE-88 - Change proposal (new update) (from julian.reschke@gmx.de on 2010-05-07)
  80. Re: ISSUE-88 - Change proposal (new update) (from lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au on 2010-05-07)
  81. RE: ISSUE-88 - Change proposal (new update) (from cewcathar@hotmail.com on 2010-05-06)
  82. RE: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-05-06: Action items, issues, decision policy, calls, surveys, publishing - minutes (from adrianba@microsoft.com on 2010-05-06)
  83. Re: ISSUE-88 - Change proposal (new update) (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2010-05-06)
  84. Re: ISSUE-88 - Change proposal (new update) (from fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net on 2010-05-05)
  85. RE: ISSUE-88 - Change proposal (new update) (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2010-05-05)
  86. RE: ISSUE-88 - Change proposal (new update) (from addison@lab126.com on 2010-05-05)
  87. Re: ISSUE-88 - Change proposal (new update) (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2010-05-05)
  88. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-05-06: Action items, issues, decision policy, calls, surveys, publishing (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-05-05)
  89. Preparing for Surveys - Ground Rules (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-05-05)
  90. RE: ISSUE-88 content-language: informal consensus check (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2010-04-30)
  91. RE: ISSUE-88 content-language: informal consensus check (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2010-04-30)
  92. RE: ISSUE-88 content-language: informal consensus check (from ishida@w3.org on 2010-04-29)
  93. Re: ISSUE-88 content-language: informal consensus check (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2010-04-29)
  94. Re: Proposal to make Content-Language pragma non-conforming altogether for ISSUE-88 (mark I) (from julian.reschke@gmx.de on 2010-04-29)
  95. Re: Proposal to make Content-Language pragma non-conforming altogether for ISSUE-88 (mark I) (from julian.reschke@gmx.de on 2010-04-29)
  96. Re: Proposal to make Content-Language pragma non-conforming altogether for ISSUE-88 (mark I) (from annevk@opera.com on 2010-04-29)
  97. RE: Proposal to make Content-Language pragma non-conforming altogether for ISSUE-88 (mark I) (from ishida@w3.org on 2010-04-29)
  98. Re: Proposal to make Content-Language pragma non-conforming altogether for ISSUE-88 (mark I) (from julian.reschke@gmx.de on 2010-04-29)
  99. Re: Proposal to make Content-Language pragma non-conforming altogether for ISSUE-88 (mark I) (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-04-29)
  100. Re: Proposal to make Content-Language pragma non-conforming altogether for ISSUE-88 (mark I) (from julian.reschke@gmx.de on 2010-04-29)
  101. ISSUE-88 content-language: informal consensus check (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-04-28)
  102. Re: Proposal to make Content-Language pragma non-conforming altogether for ISSUE-88 (mark I) (from addison@lab126.com on 2010-04-28)
  103. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-04-22: Action items, issues, decision policy, A11Y recommendations, polyglot spec (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-04-21)
  104. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-04-22: Action items, issues, decision policy, A11Y recommendations, polyglot spec (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-04-21)
  105. Minutes of HTML WG meeting, Apr 15 2010 (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-04-19)
  106. Re: ISSUE 88 - Change proposal (updated) (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-04-15)
  107. Re: ISSUE 88 - Change proposal (updated) (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2010-04-15)
  108. Re: ISSUE 88 - Change proposal (updated) (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-04-14)
  109. RE: Null change proposal for ISSUE-88 (mark II): proposed note (from cewcathar@hotmail.com on 2010-04-12)
  110. RE: Null change proposal for ISSUE-88 (mark II): proposed note (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2010-04-12)
  111. RE: Null change proposal for ISSUE-88 (mark II): proposed note (from cewcathar@hotmail.com on 2010-04-11)
  112. RE: Null change proposal for ISSUE-88 (mark II): proposed note (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2010-04-10)
  113. Re: Null change proposal for ISSUE-88 (mark II): proposed note (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2010-04-09)
  114. Re: Null change proposal for ISSUE-88 (mark II): proposed note (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2010-04-09)
  115. RE: Null change proposal for ISSUE-88 (mark II): proposed note (from ishida@w3.org on 2010-04-09)
  116. Re: Null change proposal for ISSUE-88 (mark II): proposed note (from julian.reschke@gmx.de on 2010-04-09)
  117. Re: Null change proposal for ISSUE-88 (mark II): proposed note (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-04-09)
  118. Re: Null change proposal for ISSUE-88 (mark II): proposed note (from julian.reschke@gmx.de on 2010-04-09)
  119. ISSUE-88 question to the chairs (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2010-04-09)
  120. Re: Null change proposal for ISSUE-88 (mark II): proposed note (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2010-04-09)
  121. Re: Proposal to make Content-Language pragma non-conforming altogether for ISSUE-88 (mark I) (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2010-04-09)
  122. Re: Null change proposal for ISSUE-88 (mark II): proposed note (from ian@hixie.ch on 2010-04-09)
  123. Re: Null change proposal for ISSUE-88 (mark II): proposed note (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2010-04-09)
  124. Proposal to make Content-Language pragma non-conforming altogether for ISSUE-88 (mark I) (from ian@hixie.ch on 2010-04-09)
  125. Null change proposal for ISSUE-88 (mark IV) (from ian@hixie.ch on 2010-04-09)
  126. Re: Null change proposal for ISSUE-88 (mark II): proposed note (from ian@hixie.ch on 2010-04-08)
  127. Null change proposal for ISSUE-88 (mark II): proposed note (from ishida@w3.org on 2010-04-08)
  128. Re: Null change proposal for ISSUE-88 (mark III) (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2010-04-07)
  129. Re: Null change proposal for ISSUE-88 (mark III) (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2010-04-07)
  130. Re: Null change proposal for ISSUE-88 (mark III) (from ian@hixie.ch on 2010-04-07)
  131. Re: Null change proposal for ISSUE-88 (mark III) (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2010-04-07)
  132. RE: Null change proposal for ISSUE-88 (mark II) (from cewcathar@hotmail.com on 2010-04-06)
  133. Re: Null change proposal for ISSUE-88 (mark II) (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2010-04-06)
  134. RE: Null change proposal for ISSUE-88 (mark II) (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2010-04-06)
  135. Re: Null change proposal for ISSUE-88 (mark II) (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2010-04-06)
  136. RE: Null change proposal for ISSUE-88 (mark II) (from cewcathar@hotmail.com on 2010-04-05)
  137. Re: Null change proposal for ISSUE-88 (mark III) (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-04-05)
  138. Re: Null change proposal for ISSUE-88 (mark II) (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2010-04-05)
  139. Re: Null change proposal for ISSUE-88 (mark II) (from jonas@sicking.cc on 2010-04-04)
  140. Re: Null change proposal for ISSUE-88 (mark II) (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2010-04-04)
  141. Re: Null change proposal for ISSUE-88 (mark II) (from annevk@opera.com on 2010-04-04)
  142. Re: Null change proposal for ISSUE-88 (mark II) (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2010-04-04)
  143. Re: Null change proposal for ISSUE-88 (mark II) (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2010-04-04)
  144. Re: Null change proposal for ISSUE-88 (mark II) (from julian.reschke@gmx.de on 2010-04-04)
  145. Re: Null change proposal for ISSUE-88 (mark II) (from annevk@opera.com on 2010-04-04)
  146. RE: Null change proposal for ISSUE-88 (mark II) (from ishida@w3.org on 2010-04-04)
  147. Re: Null change proposal for ISSUE-88 (mark II) (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2010-04-04)
  148. Re: Null change proposal for ISSUE-88 (mark II) (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2010-04-04)
  149. Re: Null change proposal for ISSUE-88 (mark II) (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2010-04-04)
  150. Re: Null change proposal for ISSUE-88 (mark II) (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2010-04-04)
  151. Null change proposal for ISSUE-88 (mark III) (from ian@hixie.ch on 2010-04-04)
  152. Re: Null change proposal for ISSUE-88 (mark II) (from ian@hixie.ch on 2010-04-04)
  153. Re: Null change proposal for ISSUE-88 (mark II) (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-04-03)
  154. Re: Null change proposal for ISSUE-88 (mark II) (from ian@hixie.ch on 2010-04-03)
  155. Re: Null change proposal for ISSUE-88 (mark II) (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-04-03)
  156. Re: Null change proposal for ISSUE-88 (mark II) (from julian.reschke@gmx.de on 2010-04-03)
  157. Re: Null change proposal for ISSUE-88 (mark II) (from kornel@geekhood.net on 2010-04-03)
  158. Re: Null change proposal for ISSUE-88 (mark II) (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-04-03)
  159. Re: Null change proposal for ISSUE-88 (mark II) (from julian.reschke@gmx.de on 2010-04-03)
  160. Re: Null change proposal for ISSUE-88 (mark II) (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-04-03)
  161. Re: Null change proposal for ISSUE-88 (mark II) (from annevk@opera.com on 2010-04-03)
  162. Re: Null change proposal for ISSUE-88 (mark II) (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2010-04-03)
  163. Re: Null change proposal for ISSUE-88 (mark II) (from julian.reschke@gmx.de on 2010-04-03)
  164. Re: Null change proposal for ISSUE-88 (mark II) (from kornel@geekhood.net on 2010-04-03)
  165. Re: Null change proposal for ISSUE-88 (mark II) (from julian.reschke@gmx.de on 2010-04-02)
  166. Null change proposal for ISSUE-88 (mark II) (from ian@hixie.ch on 2010-04-02)
  167. RE: ISSUE-88 / Re: what's the language of a document ? (from addison@lab126.com on 2010-04-01)
  168. RE: ISSUE-88 / Re: what's the language of a document ? (from cewcathar@hotmail.com on 2010-04-01)
  169. RE: ISSUE-88 / Re: what's the language of a document ? (from ian@hixie.ch on 2010-04-01)
  170. Re: ISSUE-88 / Re: what's the language of a document ? (from ian@hixie.ch on 2010-04-01)
  171. Re: ISSUE-88 / Re: what's the language of a document ? (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-04-01)
  172. RE: ISSUE-88 / Re: what's the language of a document ? (from ishida@w3.org on 2010-04-01)
  173. [minutes] 20100325 HTML teleconference (from plh@w3.org on 2010-03-30)
  174. RE: ISSUE-88 / Re: what's the language of a document ? (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2010-03-30)
  175. Re: ISSUE-88 / Re: what's the language of a document ? (from julian.reschke@gmx.de on 2010-03-30)
  176. RE: ISSUE-88 / Re: what's the language of a document ? (from ishida@w3.org on 2010-03-30)
  177. RE: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-03-25: decision policy, issue status, updates from meetings, task force reports (from cewcathar@hotmail.com on 2010-03-25)
  178. Re: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-03-25: decision policy, issue status, updates from meetings, task force reports (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2010-03-25)
  179. Re: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-03-25: decision policy, issue status, updates from meetings, task force reports (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-03-24)
  180. Re: Null change proposals for ISSUE-31, ISSUE-41, ISSUE-80, and ISSUE-88 (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2010-03-24)
  181. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-03-25: decision policy, issue status, updates from meetings, task force reports (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-03-24)
  182. Re: Null change proposals for ISSUE-31, ISSUE-41, ISSUE-80, and ISSUE-88 (from shelley.just@gmail.com on 2010-03-24)
  183. Re: Null change proposals for ISSUE-31, ISSUE-41, ISSUE-80, and ISSUE-88 (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-03-24)
  184. Null change proposals for ISSUE-31, ISSUE-41, ISSUE-80, and ISSUE-88 (from ian@hixie.ch on 2010-03-24)
  185. Re: Null change proposals for ISSUE-31, ISSUE-41, ISSUE-80, and ISSUE-88 (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-03-23)
  186. RE: ISSUE-88 / Re: what's the language of a document ? (from cewcathar@hotmail.com on 2010-03-21)
  187. RE: ISSUE-88 / Re: what's the language of a document ? (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2010-03-21)
  188. RE: ISSUE-88 / Re: what's the language of a document ? (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2010-03-21)
  189. RE: ISSUE-88 / Re: what's the language of a document ? (from cewcathar@hotmail.com on 2010-03-20)
  190. RE: ISSUE-88 / Re: what's the language of a document ? (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2010-03-20)
  191. RE: ISSUE-88 / Re: what's the language of a document ? (from cewcathar@hotmail.com on 2010-03-19)
  192. RE: ISSUE-88 / Re: what's the language of a document ? (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2010-03-19)
  193. RE: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-03-17: various issues (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-03-18)
  194. RE: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-03-17: various issues (from adrianba@microsoft.com on 2010-03-18)
  195. RE: ISSUE-88 / Re: what's the language of a document ? (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2010-03-18)
  196. Re: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-03-17: various issues (from laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com on 2010-03-18)
  197. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-03-17: various issues (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-03-17)
  198. RE: ISSUE-88 / Re: what's the language of a document ? (from cewcathar@hotmail.com on 2010-03-13)
  199. RE: ISSUE-88 / Re: what's the language of a document ? (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2010-03-13)
  200. RE: ISSUE-88 / Re: what's the language of a document ? (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2010-03-12)
  201. RE: ISSUE-88 / Re: what's the language of a document ? (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2010-03-12)
  202. RE: ISSUE-88 / Re: what's the language of a document ? (from cewcathar@hotmail.com on 2010-03-12)
  203. RE: ISSUE-88 / Re: what's the language of a document ? (from addison@amazon.com on 2010-03-12)
  204. RE: ISSUE-88 / Re: what's the language of a document ? (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2010-03-12)
  205. RE: ISSUE-88 / Re: what's the language of a document ? (from ishida@w3.org on 2010-03-12)
  206. RE: ISSUE-88 / Re: what's the language of a document ? (from ishida@w3.org on 2010-03-12)
  207. Re: Breakdown of issues (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-03-12)
  208. Breakdown of issues (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-03-12)
  209. Re: ISSUE-88 / Re: what's the language of a document ? (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2010-03-12)
  210. Re: ISSUE-88 / Re: what's the language of a document ? (from ian@hixie.ch on 2010-03-12)
  211. Re: ISSUE-88 / Re: what's the language of a document ? (from cewcathar@hotmail.com on 2010-03-11)
  212. Re: ISSUE-88 / Re: what's the language of a document ? (from fielding@gbiv.com on 2010-03-11)
  213. Re: ISSUE-88 / Re: what's the language of a document ? (from hsivonen@iki.fi on 2010-03-11)
  214. Re: ISSUE-88 / Re: what's the language of a document ? (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2010-03-11)
  215. Re: ISSUE-88 / Re: what's the language of a document ? (from ian@hixie.ch on 2010-03-11)
  216. Re: ISSUE-88 / Re: what's the language of a document ? (from duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp on 2010-03-11)
  217. RE: ISSUE-88 / Re: what's the language of a document ? (from ian@hixie.ch on 2010-03-11)
  218. Re: ISSUE-88 / Re: what's the language of a document ? (from silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com on 2010-03-11)
  219. RE: ISSUE-88 / Re: what's the language of a document ? (from ian@hixie.ch on 2010-03-11)
  220. RE: ISSUE-88 / Re: what's the language of a document ? (from ian@hixie.ch on 2010-03-11)
  221. Re: ISSUE-88 / Re: what's the language of a document ? (from fielding@gbiv.com on 2010-03-10)
  222. RE: ISSUE-88 / Re: what's the language of a document ? (from cewcathar@hotmail.com on 2010-03-10)
  223. Re: ISSUE-88 / Re: what's the language of a document ? (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-03-10)
  224. RE: ISSUE-88 / Re: what's the language of a document ? (from cewcathar@hotmail.com on 2010-03-10)
  225. Subject: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-02-25: actions, issues, publication (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-02-24)
  226. RE: ISSUE-88 / Re: what's the language of a document ? (from cewcathar@hotmail.com on 2010-02-24)
  227. RE: ISSUE-88 / Re: what's the language of a document ? (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2010-02-24)
  228. RE: ISSUE-88 / Re: what's the language of a document ? (from cewcathar@hotmail.com on 2010-02-24)
  229. RE: ISSUE-88 / Re: what's the language of a document ? (from ishida@w3.org on 2010-02-24)
  230. ISSUE-88: content-language-multiple - Chairs Solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-02-23)
  231. Re: ISSUE-88 / Re: what's the language of a document ? (from cowan@ccil.org on 2010-02-23)
  232. Re: ISSUE-88 / Re: what's the language of a document ? (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-02-23)
  233. Re: ISSUE-88 / Re: what's the language of a document ? (from cowan@ccil.org on 2010-02-23)
  234. RE: ISSUE-88 / Re: what's the language of a document ? (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2010-02-23)
  235. Re: ISSUE-88 / Re: what's the language of a document ? (from fielding@gbiv.com on 2010-02-22)
  236. RE: ISSUE-88 / Re: what's the language of a document ? (from ian@hixie.ch on 2010-02-22)
  237. RE: ISSUE-88 / Re: what's the language of a document ? (from cewcathar@hotmail.com on 2010-02-22)
  238. RE: ISSUE-88 / Re: what's the language of a document ? (from ian@hixie.ch on 2010-02-22)
  239. RE: ISSUE-88 / Re: what's the language of a document ? (from addison@amazon.com on 2010-02-22)
  240. Re: ISSUE-88 / Re: what's the language of a document ? (from ian@hixie.ch on 2010-02-22)
  241. RE: ISSUE-88 / Re: what's the language of a document ? (from ian@hixie.ch on 2010-02-22)
  242. Re: ISSUE-88 / Re: what's the language of a document ? (from mark@macchiato.com on 2010-02-21)
  243. Re: ISSUE-88 / Re: what's the language of a document ? (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-02-21)
  244. Minutes HTML WG 11 February 2010 (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-02-11)
  245. Re: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-02-11: actions, issues, publication, decision policy, task force reports (from dboudreau@webconforme.com on 2010-02-10)
  246. Re: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-02-11: actions, issues, publication, decision policy, task force reports (from janina@rednote.net on 2010-02-10)
  247. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-02-11: actions, issues, publication, decision policy, task force reports (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-02-10)
  248. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-02-11: actions, issues, publication, decision policy, task force reports (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-02-10)
  249. RE: ISSUE-88 / Re: what's the language of a document ? (from ishida@w3.org on 2010-02-09)
  250. ISSUE-88 / Re: what's the language of a document ? (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-02-08)
  251. Minutes HTML WG 4 February 2010 (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-02-04)
  252. Re: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-02-02: actions, issues, publication, F2F, decision process, licensing (from singer@apple.com on 2010-02-03)
  253. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-02-02: actions, issues, publication, F2F, decision process, licensing (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-02-03)
  254. Re: ACTION-161 / ISSUE 88: Multiple content languages (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-01-21)
  255. RE: ACTION-161 / ISSUE 88: Multiple content languages (from ishida@w3.org on 2010-01-21)
  256. Re: ACTION-161 / ISSUE 88: Multiple content languages (from martin.kliehm@namics.com on 2010-01-21)
  257. Re: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-01-21: AIs, CfC/CfPs, and heartbeat docs (from singer@apple.com on 2010-01-21)
  258. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-01-21: AIs, CfC/CfPs, and heartbeat docs (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-01-20)
  259. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-01-21: AIs, CfC/CfPs, and heartbeat docs (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-01-20)
  260. Re: ISSUE-88: content-language-multiple - Chairs Solicit Proposals (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-01-12)
  261. RE: {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2010-01-07 (from ishida@w3.org on 2010-01-11)
  262. Re: ISSUE-88: content-language-multiple - Chairs Solicit Proposals (from fielding@gbiv.com on 2010-01-06)
  263. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2010-01-07 (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-01-06)
  264. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2009-12-17: action items, calls for consensus/proposals, task forces (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2009-12-15)
  265. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2009-12-17: action items, calls for consensus/proposals, task forces (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2009-12-15)
  266. Minutes HTML WG 10 December 2009 (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2009-12-15)
  267. Re: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2009-10-29: action items, calls for consensus/proposals, task forces (from shelley.just@gmail.com on 2009-12-10)
  268. Re: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2009-10-29: action items, calls for consensus/proposals, task forces (from shelley.just@gmail.com on 2009-12-10)
  269. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2009-10-29: action items, calls for consensus/proposals, task forces (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2009-12-09)
  270. Minutes HTML WG 3 December 2009 (from cooper@w3.org on 2009-12-03)
  271. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2009-12-3: issues, action items, calls for consensus/proposals, task force reports (from mjs@apple.com on 2009-12-02)
  272. Re: ISSUE-88: content-language-multiple - Chairs Solicit Proposals (from mjs@apple.com on 2009-11-27)
  273. Re: ISSUE-88: content-language-multiple - Chairs Solicit Proposals (from karl@la-grange.net on 2009-11-26)
  274. RE: ISSUE-88: content-language-multiple - Chairs Solicit Proposals (from ishida@w3.org on 2009-11-26)
  275. RE: ISSUE-88: content-language-multiple - Chairs Solicit Proposals (from ishida@w3.org on 2009-11-26)
  276. Re: ISSUE-88: content-language-multiple - Chairs Solicit Proposals (from karl@la-grange.net on 2009-11-26)
  277. RE: ISSUE-88: content-language-multiple - Chairs Solicit Proposals (from ishida@w3.org on 2009-11-26)
  278. Re: ISSUE-88: content-language-multiple - Chairs Solicit Proposals (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2009-11-26)
  279. Re: ISSUE-88: content-language-multiple - Chairs Solicit Proposals (from mark@macchiato.com on 2009-11-26)
  280. RE: ISSUE-88: content-language-multiple - Chairs Solicit Proposals (from ishida@w3.org on 2009-11-26)
  281. RE: ISSUE-88: content-language-multiple - Chairs Solicit Proposals (from ishida@w3.org on 2009-11-26)
  282. Re: Change Proposal status and deadlines (from mjs@apple.com on 2009-11-25)
  283. Re: Change Proposal status and deadlines (from mjs@apple.com on 2009-11-25)
  284. Re: Change Proposal status and deadlines (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2009-11-25)
  285. Re: Change Proposal status and deadlines (from mjs@apple.com on 2009-11-25)
  286. Re: Change Proposal status and deadlines (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2009-11-25)
  287. Re: ISSUE-88: content-language-multiple - Chairs Solicit Proposals (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2009-11-19)
  288. ISSUE-88: content-language-multiple - Chairs Solicit Proposals (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2009-11-19)
  289. Re: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2009-11-19: issues, action items, calls for consensus/proposals, task force reports (from oradnio@gmail.com on 2009-11-19)
  290. Re: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2009-11-19: issues, action items, calls for consensus/proposals, task force reports (from laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com on 2009-11-19)
  291. Re: Web Browser Preferences and Internationalisation/Accessibility (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2009-11-19)
  292. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2009-11-19: issues, action items, calls for consensus/proposals, task force reports (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2009-11-18)
  293. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2009-11-19: issues, action items, calls for consensus/proposals, task force reports (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2009-11-18)
  294. minutes Re: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2009-10-29: issues, action items, calls for consensus/proposals, task forces, F2F... (from cooper@w3.org on 2009-10-29)
  295. [Bug 8088] Change back the meaning of <meta http-equiv='Content-Language' content='FOO, BAR'> (from bugzilla@wiggum.w3.org on 2009-10-29)

Related notes:

[MikeSmith]: escalated from http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=8088 (Leif Halvard Silli)

29 Oct 2009, 02:25:33

[MikeSmith]: change proposal Ishida: http://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Htmlissue88

24 Feb 2010, 06:38:55

I18N WG response: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-core/2011JanMar/0133.html

Sam Ruby, 3 Apr 2011, 15:02:16

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Mar/0398.html
http://html5.org/tools/web-apps-tracker?from=5979&to=5980

Sam Ruby, 9 May 2011, 09:06:35

Changelog:

Created issue 'Should meta/@content allow a list of languages instead of just a single language?' nickname owned by on product , description '' non-public

29 Oct 2009, 02:24:06

nickname changed to 'content-language-multiple'

Michael[tm] Smith, 29 Oct 2009, 03:02:45

Owner changed to 'Michael(tm) Smith'

Michael[tm] Smith, 29 Oct 2009, 03:02:45

Description changed to 'quoting Leif Halvard Silli:

[[
http://www.w3.org/mid/op.u2gd6bq7idj3kv@simon-pieterss-macbook.local

According to the draft, <meta http-equiv="Content-Language" content="en" >
"sets the document-wide default language". As a consequence (?), the draft
permits only one language tag in the content attribute.

This represents a deviation from how it otherwise is used and specified - e.g.
in HTML 4.

The draft must say that it defines the languages of the intended audiences, and
that it may be used in content negotiation and in search engines etc. And it
must permit several languages to be specified.

If the spec wants to express a way to decide the "document-wide default
language", then one could define another META element variant for that purpose.
Or one could define that the first listed language in the list of languages
inside "content", represents the documument-wide lanuage. Thus, in in this
example, the document-wide language is "en": <meta
http-equiv="Content-Language" content="en,fr,sp" >

References: http://www.w3.org/International/tutorials/language-decl/
]]

editor's response: "This request doesn't match how the pragma is used in deployed content."

related bugs: http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=8088'

Michael[tm] Smith, 29 Oct 2009, 03:02:45

Product changed to HTML 5 spec

Michael[tm] Smith, 29 Oct 2009, 03:02:45

Status changed to 'open'

Maciej Stachowiak, 26 Nov 2009, 01:34:55

Product changed to pre-LC1 HTML 5 spec

Sam Ruby, 29 Jan 2011, 18:22:25

Status changed to 'closed'

Sam Ruby, 9 May 2011, 09:06:35


Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, Chairs, Michael[tm] Smith <mike@w3.org>, Staff Contact
Tracker: documentation, (configuration for this group), originally developed by Dean Jackson, is developed and maintained by the Systems Team <w3t-sys@w3.org>.
$Id: index.php,v 1.325 2014-09-10 21:42:02 ted Exp $