ACTION-54: ask PF WG to look at drafted text for HTML 5 spec to require producers/authors to include @alt on img elements

ask PF WG to look at drafted text for HTML 5 spec to require producers/authors to include @alt on img elements

State:
closed
Person:
Chris Wilson
Due on:
September 26, 2008
Created on:
February 21, 2008
Associated Issue:
alt-conformance-requirements
Related emails:
  1. Re: ISSUE-122 shalott-example: Call for revisions (from mjs@apple.com on 2011-02-07)
  2. Re: ISSUE-122 shalott-example: Call for revisions (from laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com on 2011-02-07)
  3. Re: Request to publish HTML5: Techniques for providing useful text alternatives as a first public working draft (from laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com on 2010-05-09)
  4. Re: Mandatory and Important (from laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com on 2008-08-22)
  5. Re: alt attribute - a very simple proposal (from laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com on 2008-08-19)
  6. {minutes} HTML WG telcon 2008-07-31 (from connolly@w3.org on 2008-07-31)
  7. {minutes} HTML WG issue-tracking telcon 2008-06-26 (from mike@w3.org on 2008-07-09)
  8. {minutes} HTML WG issue-tracking telcon 2008-06-12 (from mike@w3.org on 2008-06-19)
  9. {minutes} HTML WG issue-tracking telcon 2008-06-05 (from mike@w3.org on 2008-06-06)
  10. Re: omitting alt: closing an open issue with a bound action item in progress (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2008-04-11)
  11. Re: omitting alt: closing an open issue with a bound action item in progress (from connolly@w3.org on 2008-04-11)
  12. Re: omitting alt: closing an open issue with a bound action item in progress (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2008-04-11)
  13. Re: omitting alt: closing an open issue with a bound action item in progress (from connolly@w3.org on 2008-04-11)
  14. {minutes} HTML WG issue-tracking telcon 2008-04-10/11 (from mike@w3.org on 2008-04-11)
  15. {minutes} 2008-04-03 HTML WG telcon (from mike@w3.org on 2008-04-04)
  16. {minutes} 2008-03-27 HTML WG issue-tracking call (from mike@w3.org on 2008-03-28)
  17. minutes HTML WG weekly 21 Feb (from connolly@w3.org on 2008-03-09)

Related notes:

ACTIONS TAKEN:

1. Steve Faulkner: submitted request to PF WG for clarification of normative language use (25 March 2008)
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008Mar/0234.html



Gregory Rosmaita, 27 Mar 2008, 15:31:05

re-opening; pending comments from PF.

Chris Wilson, 27 Mar 2008, 23:24:02

Steve F reported 17 Apr that he's inclined to look at more research rather than drafting edits

Dan Connolly, 17 Apr 2008, 22:40:09

2008-05-08
* draft text: http://www.paciellogroup.com/blog/misc/uc/
* email: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008May/0121.html

Gregory Rosmaita, 8 May 2008, 16:24:12

pending discussion on the list.

Chris Wilson, 8 May 2008, 23:18:38

THREAD: "HTML Action 54 - ...draft text..."

* Steve Faulkner:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008May/0121.html
* Justin James:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008May/0129.html
* Ian Hickson:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008May/0130.html
* Steven Faulkner:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008May/0151.html
* Justin James:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008May/0158.html
* Sam Kuper:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008May/0160.html
* Robert J. Burns:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008May/0164.html
* Justin James:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008May/0165.html
* Sam Kuper:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008May/0178.html
* John Foliot:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008May/0166.html
* Ian Hickson:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008May/0170.html
* Justin James:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008May/0173.html
* Robert J. Burns:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008May/0177.html


THREAD: "Discussion Action 54: First Draft of the rewrite..."

* Laura Carlson:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008May/0154.html
* David Poehlman:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008May/0159.html
Katie Haritos-Shea:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008May/0161.html
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008May/0172.html
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008May/0174.html

Gregory Rosmaita, 10 May 2008, 23:57:45

INTERACTIVE RESOURCES ON ESW WIKI RELATING TO ACTION 54:

1. Action 54: First Draft:
* http://esw.w3.org/topic/HTML/Action54AltAttribute

2. Discussion Page for Action 54:
* http://esw.w3.org/topic/HTML/Action54AltAttributeDiscussion

Gregory Rosmaita, 12 May 2008, 16:32:15

there is a wiki version of the First Draft of Action Item 54 on the ESW wiki:

http://esw.w3.org/topic/HTML/Action54AltAttribute

the authors of the proposed rewording have requested that the HTML WG provide feedback on the proposed rewording by 22 MAY 2008 -- please post your comments to the public-html list and (optimally) add your comments to:

http://esw.w3.org/topic/HTML/Action54AltAttributeDiscussion

Gregory Rosmaita, 15 May 2008, 16:12:05

update from LAURA CARLSON:

We have started work on a second draft for Action 54:
* http://esw.w3.org/topic/HTML/Action54AltAttributeSecondDraft

We are still waiting for a reply from PFWG for this action item regarding several issues:
* http://tinyurl.com/48uyqv
* http://tinyurl.com/3v68tn

We are beginning to incorporate First Draft Comments:
http://esw.w3.org/topic/HTML/Action54AltAttributeDiscussion

One of the biggest changes is that we have removed the majority of the
usage examples and code samples. Usage examples and code samples from
the Action 54 first draft are being refined and most have now been
submitted as Techniques for WCAG 2.0. If they are accepted, the action
54 document will link to them there. As Jason said in his comment, a
format specification is not a tutorial. Including detailed guidance in
ALT attribute techniques could be seen as usurping the role of WCAG
2.0 and its techniques documents. PF has also pointed out, "WCAG WG is
chartered to set Accessibility guidelines and HTML WG is not".
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008Feb/0082.html
The W3C Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI) is the accessibility authority.

Submission for WCAG 2.0. Techniques
* http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/TECHS-SUBMIT/

Action 54 first draft
* http://esw.w3.org/topic/HTML/Action54AltAttribute

Gregory Rosmaita, 5 Jun 2008, 16:12:57

discussion in progress with PF group.

Chris Wilson, 26 Jun 2008, 16:10:32

waiting for PFWG feedback

Michael[tm] Smith, 10 Jul 2008, 16:19:52

Need to contact PF and get timeline for review.

Chris Wilson, 17 Jul 2008, 16:09:57

Action 54 Third Draft:
http://esw.w3.org/topic/HTML/Action54AltAttributeThirdDraft
Related email on regarding using a minimalist approach:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008Aug/0437.html
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008May/0249.html
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008Apr/0555.html

Joshue O Connor, 23 Aug 2008, 10:38:26

Gregory coming back next week with info from PF.

Chris Wilson, 25 Sep 2008, 16:19:23

HTML5: Techniques for providing useful text alternatives
http://dev.w3.org/html5/alt-techniques/

Laura Carlson, 18 Feb 2010, 19:50:53

Changelog:

Created action 'Work with SteveF draft text for HTML 5 spec to require producers/authors to include @alt on img elements' assigned to Gregory Rosmaita, due 2008-02-28

21 Feb 2008, 17:46:09

Due date changed to 2008-04-02

27 Mar 2008, 15:31:05

Status changed to 'pending review'

27 Mar 2008, 15:31:05

Action now bound to ISSUE-31

27 Mar 2008, 15:31:05

Due date changed to 2008-04-10

27 Mar 2008, 23:24:02

Status changed to 'open'

27 Mar 2008, 23:24:02

Status changed to 'open'

27 Mar 2008, 23:25:07

Status changed to 'open'

27 Mar 2008, 23:25:14

Status changed to 'open'

27 Mar 2008, 23:25:56

Status changed to 'open'

27 Mar 2008, 23:26:04

Status changed to 'open'

27 Mar 2008, 23:27:41

Status changed to 'open'

3 Apr 2008, 13:23:29

Status changed to 'open'

3 Apr 2008, 13:26:57

Due date changed to 2008-04-17

10 Apr 2008, 23:17:57

Action now bound to ISSUE-31

11 Apr 2008, 17:20:04

Status changed to 'closed'

17 Apr 2008, 22:39:07

Due date changed to 2008-05-08

8 May 2008, 16:24:12

Status changed to 'pending review'

8 May 2008, 16:24:12

Due date changed to 2008-05-15

8 May 2008, 23:18:38

Due date changed to 2008-05-29

11 May 2008, 00:08:14

Status changed to 'open'

15 May 2008, 16:16:34

Due date changed to 2008-06-19

5 Jun 2008, 16:27:01

Status changed to 'pending review'

5 Jun 2008, 16:27:01

Owner changed to ''

Chris Wilson, 26 Jun 2008, 16:10:32

Due date changed to 2008-07-10

Chris Wilson, 26 Jun 2008, 16:10:32

Owner changed to ''

Michael[tm] Smith, 10 Jul 2008, 16:19:52

Due date changed to 2008-07-17

Michael[tm] Smith, 10 Jul 2008, 16:19:52

title changed to 'ask PF WG to look at drafted text for HTML 5 spec to require producers/authors to include @alt on img elements'

Dan Connolly, 17 Jul 2008, 16:09:43

Owner changed to 'Chris Wilson'

Dan Connolly, 17 Jul 2008, 16:09:43

Status changed to 'open'

Dan Connolly, 17 Jul 2008, 16:09:43

title changed to 'Work with SteveF draft text for HTML 5 spec to require producers/authors to include @alt on img elements'

Chris Wilson, 17 Jul 2008, 16:09:57

Due date changed to 2008-07-24

Chris Wilson, 17 Jul 2008, 16:09:57

Status changed to 'pending review'

Chris Wilson, 17 Jul 2008, 16:09:57

title changed to 'ask PF WG to look at drafted text for HTML 5 spec to require producers/authors to include @alt on img elements'

Dan Connolly, 17 Jul 2008, 16:10:00

Status changed to 'open'

Dan Connolly, 17 Jul 2008, 16:10:00

Due date changed to 2008-07-31

Chris Wilson, 30 Jul 2008, 22:34:12

Due date changed to 2008-08-06

Chris Wilson, 31 Jul 2008, 16:16:03

Due date changed to 2008-08-20

Chris Wilson, 7 Aug 2008, 16:15:43

Due date changed to 2008-08-29

Michael[tm] Smith, 21 Aug 2008, 16:30:13

Due date changed to 2008-09-10

Chris Wilson, 4 Sep 2008, 11:17:41

Due date changed to 2008-09-25

Chris Wilson, 10 Sep 2008, 22:02:14

Due date changed to 2008-09-26

Chris Wilson, 25 Sep 2008, 03:54:35

Status changed to 'closed'

Chris Wilson, 25 Sep 2008, 16:19:23


Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, Chairs, Michael[tm] Smith <mike@w3.org>, Staff Contact
Tracker: documentation, (configuration for this group), originally developed by Dean Jackson, is developed and maintained by the Systems Team <w3t-sys@w3.org>.
$Id: index.php,v 1.323 2013-12-19 14:47:09 dom Exp $