Edit ACTION-29: Follow up on the idea of a free-software-compatible license for a note on HTML authoring

Title:

State:

Person:

Due Date:

(accepts formats such as "2005-05-17", "+1 week", "14 August 2005" and "next Thursday")

Associated Issue:

Or Associated Product:

Add notes (no markup allowed, URIs get automatically hyperlinked):

Related emails:

  1. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2011-03-31: Issues, Publications, Surveys, Decisions, Task Force Reports (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2011-03-30) (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2011-03-30)
  2. {minutes} HTML WG telecon 2011-02-24: Action items and Issues (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2011-02-24) (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2011-02-24)
  3. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2011-02-24: Action items and Issues (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2011-02-23) (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2011-02-23)
  4. {minutes} HTML WG Telecon 2010-01-27: status of actions, new issues, closing items, new calls, charter status (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2011-01-27) (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2011-01-27)
  5. {agenda} HTML WG Telecon 2010-01-27: status of actions, new issues, closing items, new calls, charter status (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2011-01-26) (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2011-01-26)
  6. RE: {minutes} HTML WG Telecon 2010-01-20: status of actions, calls; task force reports (from adrianba@microsoft.com on 2011-01-20) (from adrianba@microsoft.com on 2011-01-20)
  7. {agenda} HTML WG Telecon 2010-01-20: status of actions, calls; task force reports (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2011-01-18) (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2011-01-18)
  8. {agenda} HTML WG Telecon 2010-12-16: status of actions, calls, new decisions, task force reports (from mjs@apple.com on 2011-01-12) (from mjs@apple.com on 2011-01-12)
  9. {minutes} HTML WG Telecon 2010-11-18: status of actions, calls, issues, meeting schedule, timeline to LC status (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-11-21) (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-11-21)
  10. {agenda} HTML WG Telecon 2010-11-18: status of actions, calls, issues, meeting schedule, timeline to LC status (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-11-17) (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-11-17)
  11. {agenda} HTML WG Telecon 2010-11-11: status of actions, calls, issues, Task Force reports (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-11-10) (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-11-10)
  12. {agenda} HTML WG Telecon 2010-09-23 status of calls, issues and bugs, heartbeat drafts (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-10-06) (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-10-06)
  13. RE: {minutes} HTML WG Telecon 2010-09-09 - LC timeline, distributed extensibility, media accessibility (from adrianba@microsoft.com on 2010-09-09) (from adrianba@microsoft.com on 2010-09-09)
  14. {agenda} HTML WG Telecon 2010-09-09 - LC timeline, distributed extensibility, media accessibility (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-09-08) (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-09-08)
  15. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2010-08-12: action 29; issues 116, 30, 109, 27; bugs 9894, 10066 (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-08-11) (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-08-11)
  16. {minutes} HTML WG telecon 2010-07-15 (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-07-15) (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-07-15)
  17. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2010-07-15: note new dial-in numbers for Paris and London (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-07-14) (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-07-14)
  18. [minutes] 20100701 HTML WG (from plh@w3.org on 2010-07-01) (from plh@w3.org on 2010-07-01)
  19. RE: {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2010-07-01: issues, surveys, decisions, publication status, TF reports (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-06-30) (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-06-30)
  20. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2010-07-01: issues, surveys, decisions, publication status, TF reports (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-06-30) (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-06-30)
  21. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2010-06-17: actions, issues, publication status (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-06-16) (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-06-16)
  22. [minutes] HTML WG 20100603 (from plh@w3.org on 2010-06-03) (from plh@w3.org on 2010-06-03)
  23. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2010-06-03 (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-06-02) (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-06-02)
  24. RE: {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2010-05-27 (from adrianba@microsoft.com on 2010-05-27) (from adrianba@microsoft.com on 2010-05-27)
  25. Re: {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2010-05-27 (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2010-05-27) (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2010-05-27)
  26. Re: {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2010-05-27 (from laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com on 2010-05-27) (from laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com on 2010-05-27)
  27. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2010-05-27 (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-05-26) (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-05-26)
  28. RE: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-04-29: Action items, new issues, Task Force reports - minutes of the meeting (from adrianba@microsoft.com on 2010-04-29) (from adrianba@microsoft.com on 2010-04-29)
  29. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-04-29: Action items, new issues, Task Force reports (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-04-28) (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-04-28)
  30. Minutes of HTML WG meeting, Apr 15 2010 (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-04-19) (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-04-19)
  31. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-04-15: Action items, issues, decision policy, task forces, TPAC (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-04-14) (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-04-14)
  32. [minutes] 20100325 HTML teleconference (from plh@w3.org on 2010-03-30) (from plh@w3.org on 2010-03-30)
  33. Update on HTML 5 Document License (ACTION-29) (from plh@w3.org on 2010-03-23) (from plh@w3.org on 2010-03-23)
  34. Subject: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-02-25: actions, issues, publication (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-02-24) (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-02-24)
  35. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-01-28: (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-01-27) (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-01-27)
  36. RE: {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2010-01-07 (from ishida@w3.org on 2010-01-11) (from ishida@w3.org on 2010-01-11)
  37. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2010-01-07 (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-01-06) (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-01-06)
  38. Re: HTML Working Group Decision Policy - for discussion (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2009-10-08) (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2009-10-08)
  39. Re: free-software-compatible license for HTML5 (ACTION-29) (from jonas@sicking.cc on 2009-09-30) (from jonas@sicking.cc on 2009-09-30)
  40. free-software-compatible license for HTML5 (ACTION-29) (from plh@w3.org on 2009-09-30) (from plh@w3.org on 2009-09-30)
  41. [Minutes] HTML Weekly Teleconference 05 February 2009 (from karl+w3c@la-grange.net on 2009-02-05) (from karl+w3c@la-grange.net on 2009-02-05)
  42. Re: Discussions with plh [was: Moving Forward] (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2009-02-03) (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2009-02-03)
  43. Re: Discussions with plh [was: Moving Forward] (from lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au on 2009-02-03) (from lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au on 2009-02-03)
  44. Re: Discussions with plh (License) (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2009-02-02) (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2009-02-02)
  45. Re: Discussions with plh (License) (from connolly@w3.org on 2009-02-02) (from connolly@w3.org on 2009-02-02)
  46. {minutes} HTML WG issue-tracking telcon 2008-06-19 (from mike@w3.org on 2008-06-25) (from mike@w3.org on 2008-06-25)
  47. License discussions in progress at W3M (from chris@w3.org on 2008-05-14) (from chris@w3.org on 2008-05-14)
  48. {minutes} 2008-04-03 HTML WG telcon (from mike@w3.org on 2008-04-04) (from mike@w3.org on 2008-04-04)
  49. {minutes} HTML WG teleconference 2008-01-24 (from mike@w3.org on 2008-01-25) (from mike@w3.org on 2008-01-25)

Related notes:

I forwarded it internally. Mike, feel free to re-assign this action to you.

Dan Connolly, 29 Nov 2007, 16:04:16

oh... it= Anne's msg. http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/spec-prod/2007OctDec/0006.html

Dan Connolly, 29 Nov 2007, 16:05:17

original suggestion was:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007Nov/0292.html

Dan Connolly, 29 Nov 2007, 16:05:43

the internal discussion is underway, but it looks like it will take a while. Anybody who needs this before end of Jan will please say so.

Dan Connolly, 6 Dec 2007, 05:17:55

haven't heard anything since the 14 May update; I'm pinging people internally.

Dan Connolly, 10 Jul 2008, 14:23:35

internal discussion shows progress, but it's slow.

Dan Connolly, 17 Jul 2008, 15:30:15

internal discussion continues... it seems likely that we'll explicitly license exerpts but not modifications.

The IETF seems to be working on something similar. http://trustee.ietf.org/docs/IETF_Trust_Legal_Permission_for_IETF_Docs_8-05-08.txt

Dan Connolly, 14 Aug 2008, 15:35:40

Henri Sivonen's reply to Chris Lilley explains his interest in a free software license: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2008Jun/0147.html

Shawn Medero, 11 Sep 2008, 16:10:11

internal deadline pushed back

Dan Connolly, 10 Oct 2008, 14:16:13

the internal discussion has been pushed back to: due 2008-12-10

Dan Connolly, 13 Nov 2008, 17:41:12

I'm pinging internally...

Dan Connolly, 16 Dec 2008, 22:03:57

internal discussion continues...

Dan Connolly, 16 Dec 2008, 22:51:13

working on this with Rigo, Ian, PLH, Mike, and others... Ian suggest one more week should yield some results.

Dan Connolly, 14 Jan 2009, 17:31:15

Note Sam's report on discussion with W3C management
http://www.w3.org/mid/49876B47.8000803@intertwingly.net

Dan Connolly, 2 Feb 2009, 22:00:49

overtaken by Sam's discussion with PLH?

Dan Connolly, 2 Feb 2009, 22:02:53

reassigned to Sam Ruby at 2009-02-05 call

Gregory Rosmaita, 5 Feb 2009, 17:14:04

note use case decision meanwhile http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009Feb/0321.html

Dan Connolly, 17 Feb 2009, 17:17:21

We agreed to postpone this to November 5th. Philippe will send a status update to the group.

Maciej Stachowiak, 30 Sep 2009, 09:36:31

Email to PSIG sent:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-psig/2009OctDec/0000.html

Philippe Le Hégaret, 7 Oct 2009, 21:23:18

The W3C Advisory Board spent a substantial amount of this topic. I'll continue to push to get an opinion from the W3C Advisory Committee but I don't expect to get one before March 2010 unfortunately. The PSIG (Patent and Standard Interest Group) started to discuss the issue at the end of October and we got some strong pushback there, especially since we phrased the question to them as "How shouldwe do this?", instead of "Should we do this?". We're now pushing for the next PSIG meeting to be sooner rather than later. Until we can get an advise on using a license such as the MIT license, it's going to be difficult to formulate a clear question for the AC.

Philippe Le Hégaret, 13 Nov 2009, 15:35:00

This action was discussed on Jan 28 when Philippe was on vacation. The PSIG is preparing an FAQ for the AC membership and the W3C team intends on surveying the AC membership to get feedback on this issue before the Mar 22-23 AC meeting. I changed the next due date to the end of Feb.

Paul Cotton, 28 Jan 2010, 17:52:25

Due date changed to April 15 to permit reactions to W3C decision on not permitting forking.

Paul Cotton, 30 Mar 2010, 18:20:45

[paulc]: due May 31

29 Apr 2010, 16:08:32

Update on Jun 17: PSIG has a proposal which needs to be tested to see if it is compatible with GPL. AI extended by two weeks.

Paul Cotton, 17 Jun 2010, 16:08:59

[MikeSmith]: plan is to put forward another survey to the W3C membership

9 Sep 2010, 16:13:46


Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, Chairs, Michael[tm] Smith <mike@w3.org>, Staff Contact
Tracker: documentation, (configuration for this group), originally developed by Dean Jackson, is developed and maintained by the Systems Team <w3t-sys@w3.org>.
$Id: index.php,v 1.325 2014-09-10 21:42:02 ted Exp $