From W3C eGovernment Wiki
Revision as of 17:48, 14 October 2009 by Rflagg2
Please justify/explain all edits to this page, in your "edit summary" text.
12:51:23 <RRSAgent> RRSAgent has joined #egov 12:51:23 <RRSAgent> logging to http://www.w3.org/2009/10/14-egov-irc 12:51:25 <Zakim> Zakim has joined #egov 12:51:28 <sandro> zakim, this will be egov 12:51:28 <Zakim> ok, sandro; I see T&S_EGOV()9:00AM scheduled to start in 9 minutes 12:51:33 <sandro> RRSAgent, make log public 12:57:00 <tb> tb has joined #egov 12:57:13 <josema> josema has joined #egov 12:57:42 <josema> agenda? 12:57:57 <josema> chair: josema 12:58:02 <josema> agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-egov-ig/2009Oct/0012 12:58:20 <josema> agenda+ Agenda adjustments and next meetings 12:58:28 <josema> agenda+ Open actions 12:58:37 <josema> agenda+ Tuning scribing procedures 12:58:46 <josema> agenda+ Celebration: Charter approved! 12:58:55 <josema> agenda+ Where to go from here? 12:59:03 <Sylvia> irc has joined #eGov 12:59:04 <josema> agenda+ What else is going on/coming up? 12:59:07 <Zakim> T&S_EGOV()9:00AM has now started 12:59:14 <Daniel_Bennett> Daniel_Bennett has joined #egov 12:59:19 <josema> trackbot, start telcon 12:59:21 <trackbot> RRSAgent, make logs public 12:59:23 <trackbot> Zakim, this will be EGOV 12:59:23 <Zakim> ok, trackbot, I see T&S_EGOV()9:00AM already started 12:59:24 <trackbot> Meeting: eGovernment Interest Group Teleconference 12:59:24 <trackbot> Date: 14 October 2009 12:59:34 <josema> regrets+ DaveM, SteveH, JimH 12:59:45 <josema> zakim, who's here? 12:59:45 <Zakim> On the phone I see no one 12:59:46 <Zakim> On IRC I see Daniel_Bennett, irc, Hugh, josema, tb, Zakim, RRSAgent, AdamHarvey, hughb, sandro, trackbot 12:59:57 <Hughg> regrets: HughG 13:00:27 <josema> s/regrets HughG/regrets+ HughG 13:01:09 <josema> regrets+ JohnS 13:01:18 <sylvia> Sylvia Webb is on the phone 13:01:39 <sandro> zakim, who is talking? 13:01:51 <Zakim> sandro, listening for 11 seconds I heard sound from the following: ??P7 (58%), ??P11 (35%) 13:02:23 <josema> zakim, who's here? 13:02:23 <Zakim> On the phone I see no one 13:02:24 <Zakim> On IRC I see Daniel_Bennett, irc, Hugh, josema, tb, Zakim, RRSAgent, AdamHarvey, hughb, sandro, trackbot 13:02:43 <Owen> Owen has joined #egov 13:03:16 <sandro> zakim, who is here? 13:03:16 <Zakim> On the phone I see no one 13:03:18 <Zakim> On IRC I see Owen, Daniel_Bennett, Sylvia, Hugh, josema, tb, Zakim, RRSAgent, AdamHarvey, hughb, sandro, trackbot 13:03:22 <sandro> zakim, this is egov 13:03:22 <Zakim> sandro, this was already T&S_EGOV()9:00AM 13:03:23 <Zakim> ok, sandro; that matches T&S_EGOV()9:00AM 13:03:30 <Daniel_Bennett> Daniel is on the phone 13:03:42 <AdamHarvey> I'm on the phone as well 13:04:34 <josema> agenda? 13:04:43 <Rachel> Rachel has joined #egov 13:06:24 <josema> zakim, take up next agendum 13:06:24 <Zakim> agendum 1. "Agenda adjustments and next meetings" taken up [from josema] 13:07:17 <sandro> scribe: Rachel 13:07:18 <Rachel> topic: Agenda adjustments and next meetings 13:08:02 <Rachel> agenda accepted as-is, no changes 13:08:27 <josema> zakim, take up next agendum 13:08:27 <Zakim> agendum 2. "Open actions" taken up [from josema] 13:08:28 <Rachel> topic: Open actions 13:08:33 <josema> http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/track/actions/open 13:09:42 <Rachel> reference to listserv discussion about legislation, open meetings and XML 13:09:52 <Rachel> conversation deferred until John can join us 13:10:56 <Rachel> Sandro - investigating wysiwyg editor options, send Sandro comments about this 13:12:18 <AdamHarvey> I'm on the call, but muted 13:12:44 <Rachel> actions 82 & 83 - Daniel should have update next time 13:12:47 <AdamHarvey> We were waiting for charter approval and the launch of the new W3C site before moving forward 13:13:17 <joec> joec has joined #egov 13:13:31 <AdamHarvey2> AdamHarvey2 has joined #egov 13:15:05 <AdamHarvey2> http://plone.org/ 13:15:40 <Rachel> discussion of tools requirements - not always easy to integrate new tools into W3C operations 13:16:25 <Rachel> Daniel & Sandro will discuss further via email and report back next time 13:17:21 <sandro> ( email@example.com ) 13:18:07 <Daniel_Bennett> (firstname.lastname@example.org ) 13:18:14 <AdamHarvey2> Please include me in email thread (email@example.com) 13:18:14 <Rachel> for action 91 - Kevin in discussions, should be able to resolve next week 13:18:36 <sandro> action-91? 13:18:36 <trackbot> ACTION-91 -- Kevin Novak to organize informal meeting of IG members at TPAC -- due 2009-09-23 -- OPEN 13:18:36 <trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/track/actions/91 13:22:12 <Rachel> action-92? 13:22:12 <trackbot> ACTION-92 -- Kevin Novak to put out call for volunteers to survey agencies for those most ready for next steps in creating open data projects -- due 2009-09-30 -- OPEN 13:22:12 <trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/track/actions/92 13:23:59 <josema> http://www.w3.org/2009/09/16-egov-minutes.html#action02 13:25:23 <anne> anne has joined #egov 13:25:23 <josema> q? 13:26:11 <Rachel> Kevin: developing a list of the top 10 US govt agencies working to open data to the public 13:26:17 <annew> annew has joined #egov 13:26:57 <sandro> q+ to talk about http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/sweo/public/UseCases/ 13:27:20 <Rachel> Kevin: some possibilities include NASA, GSA, EPA, doing lots of work in this area 13:27:44 <Rachel> Daniel: can we make recommendations to improve data.gov? 13:28:18 <josema> q+ to talk about existing Linked Data in US Govt vs "just ready to go" 13:28:39 <josema> agenda? 13:28:47 <Rachel> Kevin: yes, data.gov is now V1, plan is to look to the community to suggest improvements 13:30:36 <josema> q? 13:30:37 <Rachel> Daniel: We should review what's out there on data.gov and recommend improvements 13:31:11 <Rachel> Kevin: Keep in mind our long-term goals - what do we want to accomplish in the end? 13:31:37 <josema> [Kevin on need of consistency across data.gov datasets] 13:32:18 <Rachel> Kevin: Right now, there is no consistency, we need to find the best examples so others can model what they are doing 13:32:39 <AdamHarvey2> It's like the early days of the web 13:33:32 <josema> did I mention this? http://data.fundacionctic.org/dataset-catalog/ 13:33:50 <Rachel> George: Commends data.gov.uk as a good model 13:33:57 <josema> it's a compilation of data.gov.* catalogues out there so far (in RDF/XML, of course :) 13:37:11 <josema> and an example map visualization (using only the Spanish data, sorry) http://datos.fundacionctic.org/sandbox/catalog/public/map 13:37:43 <josema> q? 13:38:13 <josema> s/Spanish data/data in Spanish 13:38:16 <Rachel> Discussion about good collaboration starting to happen, and ideas to further that collaboration in the future 13:38:28 <josema> ack sa 13:38:28 <Zakim> sandro, you wanted to talk about http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/sweo/public/UseCases/ 13:38:36 <josema> q- 13:38:48 <sandro> See http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/sweo/public/UseCases/Nasa/ and larger list, http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/sweo/public/UseCases/ 13:38:56 <josema> agenda? 13:39:53 <MoZ> MoZ has joined #egov 13:40:22 <Daniel_Bennett> can that URL be put on IRC, George? 13:40:22 <josema> I think George refers to http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/wiki/Use_Case_7_-_FEA-RMO_OWL 13:40:23 <sandro> George: it'd be good to get the TopQuadrant-developed case studies on Ontologies for the Federal Enterprise Architecture. 13:40:23 <Rachel> Does anyone have other examples/use cases that should be listed here? 13:40:47 <Daniel_Bennett> what was that URL George just mentioned? 13:40:54 <josema> http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/wiki/Use_Case_6_-_US_Privacy_OWL 13:42:20 <josema> agenda? 13:42:46 <josema> zakim, next agendum 13:42:46 <Zakim> agendum 3. "Tuning scribing procedures" taken up [from josema] 13:42:47 <Rachel> topic: Tuning scribing procedures 13:43:52 <josema> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-egov-ig/2009Oct/0021 13:44:02 <Rachel> Looking for ways to make the scribing process easier 13:44:41 <Rachel> Sandro had developed a tool for another working group which he shared via the listserv 13:45:03 <Rachel> Sandro: tool pulls minutes from IRC to a wiki page 13:45:06 <sandro> http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/wiki/Chatlog_2009-10-14 13:45:22 <Rachel> Sandro: makes it easy for any members to edit & clean up the minutes 13:45:37 <AdamHarvey2> That is really cool. :) 13:46:26 <josema> [clap, clap] 13:47:29 <Rachel> Sandro: any questions or comments? 13:47:58 <Rachel> Sandro: if everyone likes this, we will incorporate into our standard operating procedures 13:49:29 <sandro> Jim_Snyder 13:49:36 <sandro> Brian_Gryff 13:49:38 <sandro> Owen 13:49:43 <annew> Anne Washington 13:49:55 <AdamHarvey2> It sounded like you said I'm a regret... I'm here. 13:50:10 <Daniel_Bennett> Daniel Bennett 13:50:22 <sandro> Sorry, AdamHarvey2, I didn't mean to say that if I did. 13:50:26 <tb> Thomas bandholtz 13:50:38 <Rachel> Sandro: new tool automatically generates list of attendees as they are mentioned in the discussion 13:52:05 <Rachel> Josema: If we use this new tool, should we continue to send text of minutes to listserv? 13:52:10 <sandro> Brian_Gryth: I'm here 13:52:17 <sandro> Owen_Ambur: I'mhere 13:52:28 <sandro> Anne_Washington: I'm here 13:52:35 <Rachel> Josema: or just send a link to the minutes as formatted in this new tool? 13:52:42 <sandro> ThomasB: I'm here 13:52:42 <josema> agenda? 13:52:52 <josema> zakim, take up next agendum 13:52:52 <Zakim> agendum 4. "Celebration: Charter approved!" taken up [from josema] 13:52:53 <Rachel> topic: Celebration: Charter approved! 13:53:18 <josema> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-egov-ig/2009Oct/0008 13:53:37 <Rachel> Kevin says congrats and thanks to all who contributed 13:53:50 <sandro> guest: Jim Snider 13:53:54 <sandro> Jim_Snider: I'm here 13:54:26 <Rachel> Kevin: Head of W3C was very complimentary and excited about future work of the group 13:54:43 <Rachel> Josema: Thanks all, very good work 13:55:33 <Rachel> Josema: We are now chartered for another year 13:56:11 <Rachel> Kevin: Send ideas via listserv about where you think we should focus our energies this next year 13:56:27 <Rachel> Joe: Is the eGov effort focused primarily on open data? 13:56:42 <Rachel> Kevin: Not necessarily, though that is part of it 13:57:11 <Rachel> Kevin: Interoperability and linked open data are both important 13:57:41 <Rachel> Kevin: Governments really pushing to open their data to the public 13:57:57 <Rachel> Joe: Agencies have a lot of data, but people don't know how to get to it 13:58:10 <Rachel> Joe: data.gov is an attempt to help people get to that data 13:58:23 <josema> OGD != LGD :) 13:58:51 <josema> (LGD is part of OGD if you want) 13:59:06 <Rachel> Joe: recommends xpointer 13:59:35 <sergey> sergey has joined #egov 13:59:58 <annew> OGD = Open Government Data vvs LGD = Linked Government Data 14:00:15 <josema> yup 14:00:16 <Rachel> Remember eGovt is about more than opening data. We must think about the impact of what we do on the person sitting at their computer trying to complete an online transaction with their government 14:00:49 <AdamHarvey2> +1 to Rachel - Don't forget that citizen interaction UX & UI is important 14:00:50 <annew> just clarifying for the record to enhance enjoyment of the equation 14:00:57 <josema> +1 to Rachel! 14:01:33 <sandro> "Do you think XPointer is too techie" I hope that was a joke..... 14:01:36 <josema> remember the three steps to OGD: identify, expose, consume 14:02:04 <josema> agenda? 14:02:34 <AdamHarvey2> Maybe we need a "tech to wonk" TF? 14:03:46 <josema> q? 14:04:45 <josema> http://www.w3.org/2000/09/dbwg/details?group=42481&public=1 14:04:46 <Rachel> Joe: There are many standards that could help end users 14:04:53 <josema> http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/participation 14:05:30 <Rachel> Josema: Reminder to visitors that we would like you to officially join us! 14:05:44 <josema> zakim, next agendum 14:05:44 <Zakim> agendum 5. "Where to go from here?" taken up [from josema] 14:05:45 <Rachel> topic: Where to go from here? 14:06:00 <Owen> W/re Rachel's point, the Web Content Managers' strategic plan is available at http://xml.gov/stratml/WCMstratplan.xml 14:06:04 <josema> http://www.w3.org/2009/09/30-egov-minutes#item01 14:06:42 <Rachel> Josema: Where to go from here...linked govt data, use of standards, etc 14:06:49 <annew> +1 Rachel. lets enhance govt information usability not force feed tech standards 14:08:03 <Rachel> Josema: What specific topics should we tackle next? 14:08:08 <AdamHarvey2> I'd like to spend more time doing outreach 14:08:28 <AdamHarvey2> Yes, but muted 14:09:09 <slizin> slizin has joined #egov 14:09:17 <Zakim> bot restart in 2 minutes to recover bridge state 14:09:20 <AdamHarvey2> Yup... I want state and local folks to get interested in this too 14:09:40 <Rachel> Daniel: Need to remember that our work impacts not only federal/national, but also state/local governments 14:10:23 <Rachel> Daniel: working to develop standards for publishing legislation in XML 14:10:32 <josema> I'm wondering if you've seen the NASCIO doc on data transparency http://www.nascio.org/publications/documents/NASCIO-DataTransparency.pdf 14:10:45 <josema> [["Leverage Linked Data approaches to present state datasets. This simplifies the process and avoids redundant data storage."]] 14:11:45 <Rachel> Joe: Need to compile a page of good examples, best practices around open data 14:12:37 <Rachel> Brian: likes that idea 14:12:53 <Rachel> Brian: see NAPA's Collaboration Project for a good model 14:13:15 <Daniel_Bennett> http://www.collaborationproject.org/display/home/Home 14:14:05 <annew> see also the european union's http://www.epractice.eu/ 14:15:44 <Rachel> Brian: GovLoop has been helpful for finding good examples like this 14:15:48 <josema> I'm hearing something similar to what we tried to accomplish with the use cases before http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/wiki/Category:Use_Case 14:15:57 <josema> but did not... 14:16:05 <Rachel> Daniel: Is there a "standard" for finding/compiling use cases? 14:16:36 <Rachel> metadata? 14:16:50 <sandro> +1 yeah, it'd be great to have a standard way to put something on your site saying "Look here is someone people should look at, when they are looking for ODG/whatever" 14:17:15 <Zakim> Zakim has joined #egov 14:17:21 <sandro> zakim, this is egov 14:17:21 <Zakim> ok, sandro; that matches T&S_EGOV()9:00AM 14:17:25 <sandro> zakim, who is on the call? 14:17:25 <Zakim> On the phone I see +1.216.443.aaaa, +1.310.420.aabb, Sandro, [CTIC], +1.202.449.aacc, +1.509.464.aadd, +1.410.975.aaee, +1.303.748.aaff, ??P17, +1.410.992.aagg, ??P21, 14:17:29 <Zakim> ... +49.178.404.aahh 14:17:37 <josema> zakim, [CTIC] is me 14:17:37 <Zakim> +josema; got it 14:17:46 <AdamHarvey2> zakim, aaaa is me 14:17:46 <Zakim> +AdamHarvey2; got it 14:17:55 <Rachel> Can this group develop/recommend standards for common names, common ways to report and share? 14:18:24 <Sylvia> aabb is me 14:18:44 <josema> http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/UseCases/ 14:18:53 <Rachel> Now there are MANY different ways to refer to eGov, can we develop some "standards"? 14:18:55 <josema> http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/sweo/public/UseCases/ 14:18:56 <AdamHarvey2> You have mention Z by name, Sylvia, like I did 14:19:11 <Zakim> - +1.202.449.aacc 14:19:27 <Rachel> Josema: We have a mechanism, via our Use Case library 14:19:39 <Sylvia> zakim aabb is me 14:19:48 <Zakim> + +1.202.449.aaii 14:20:46 <Rachel> Josema: We need volunteers (of course!) :) 14:20:55 <Zakim> - +1.410.975.aaee 14:21:16 <Rachel> zakim aadd is Rachel 14:21:29 <Owen> W/re next steps, it would be good to relate (link) the goals in the IG's charter with those to be set forth in the Federal IT Strategic Plan. 14:23:11 <Rachel> Owen: US CIO Council looking for success stories to integrate into their strategic plan 14:23:14 <josema> agenda? 14:23:16 <Zakim> -AdamHarvey2 14:23:42 <josema> topic: what's coming up 14:24:27 <Zakim> -??P21 14:25:30 <josema> q? 14:26:44 <slizin> agenda? 14:28:28 <Rachel> Discussion about a document outlining some future plans in Europe, check mailing list for attachment & discuss there 14:28:50 <josema> I think it was Thomas who mentioned the paper 14:30:33 <Rachel> Daniel gave an update on a conference he attended last week, and upcoming events 14:31:23 <Rachel> Josema: will email requesting ideas for future projects 14:31:30 <Zakim> - +1.202.449.aaii 14:31:33 <Zakim> - +1.310.420.aabb 14:31:34 <Zakim> - +1.303.748.aaff 14:31:34 <Zakim> - +49.178.404.aahh 14:31:36 <Zakim> - +1.410.992.aagg 14:31:40 <Zakim> -Sandro 14:31:41 <Zakim> -??P17 # SPECIAL MARKER FOR CHATSYNC. DO NOT EDIT THIS LINE OR BELOW. SRCLINESUSED=00000258