From W3C eGovernment Wiki
Social Media Project Home
Draft goal: To collaborate with other organizations and groups to provide and outline the best practices for using such services to advance the mission of government agencies and engage the public. The best will also highlight how security risks can be mitigated and records management requirements can be met.
The Project Group will identify:
- Best practices for government use of social media (no more than 10).
- Government entities that have successfully implemented social media usage as potential use cases.
- Any issues that significantly hinder social media adoption by government.
Teleconference meetings will be held on Fridays at 3 p.m. US eastern time (20:00 UTC). The project will meeting as necessary or upon request of the Chairs. Initial meetings maybe once a week or every other week.
Social Media Resources
The following resources are contian useful information about Social Media and Government:
- http://www.apsc.gov.au/values/conductguidelines.htm - The Australian Public Service Code of Conduct - (includes practical policy for employees using Social Media (Chapter 15))
- http://www.apsc.gov.au/circulars/circular096.htm - Circular 2009/5: Protocols for online media participation - Australian Public Service Commission
- http://www.finance.gov.au/publications/gov20taskforcereport/doc/Government20TaskforceReport.pdf - Government 2.0 Task Force Report
- http://www.vic.gov.au/social-media.html - List of Victorian State Government (Australia) Social Media sites
- http://ipts.jrc.ec.europa.eu/publications/pub.cfm?id=2820 - Public Services 2.0: The Impact of Social Computing on Public Services
- http://ipts.jrc.ec.europa.eu/publications/pub.cfm?id=2819 - The Impact of Social Computing on the EU Information Society and Economy
- http://www.hmg.gov.uk/media/52788/smarter-government-final.pdf - United Kingdoms "Smarter Government" whitepaper
- http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/assets/memoranda_2010/m10-06.pdf - United States Open Government Directive
- http://www.usa.gov/webcontent/technology/other_tech.shtml - US General Serivces Administration (GSA) "Social Media and Web 2.0 in Government"
- http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/socialmedia.html - Social Media Use for the Navy (United States)
- http://www.af.mil/shared/media/document/AFD-090406-036.pdf - United States Air Force's "New Media and the Air Force" e-book.
- http://www.usa.gov/webcontent/documents/Government_and_Social_Media.pdf - GSA presentation by Bev Godwin "Government and Social Media"
- State of Massachusetts "Social Media Guidance & Best Practices"
- http://twitter.com/PressSec - "Official White House Twitter Account"
Brian Gryth Co-ordinator
Sandro Hawke W3C Staff Contact