Chatlog 2010-05-27 Data Catalog Vocabulary

From W3C eGovernment Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

See CommonScribe Control Panel, original RRSAgent log and preview nicely formatted version.

Please justify/explain all edits to this page, in your "edit summary" text.

<fadi> Guest: Kate Geyer
<fadi> Guest: Michael Norton
14:54:46 <RRSAgent> RRSAgent has joined #egov
14:54:46 <RRSAgent> logging to http://www.w3.org/2010/05/27-egov-irc
14:59:01 <cygri_> cygri_ has joined #egov
15:00:08 <cygri_> zakim, who is on the phone?
15:00:08 <Zakim> sorry, cygri_, I don't know what conference this is
15:00:11 <Zakim> On IRC I see cygri_, RRSAgent, mhausenblas, Zakim, kate_geyer, fadi, cygri, ww, edsu, sandro, trackbot
15:00:23 <LuigiMontanez> LuigiMontanez has joined #egov
15:01:01 <cygri_> zakim, this is dcat
15:01:43 <Zakim> sorry, cygri_, I do not see a conference named 'dcat' in progress or scheduled at this time
15:02:01 <martin> martin has joined #egov
15:02:29 <mhausenblas> Zakim, what conferences do you see?
15:02:53 <cygri> mhausenblas to the rescue!
15:03:38 <Zakim> I see Styl_XSL-FO-()11:00AM, T&S_EGOV(LD TECH)10:00AM, Math_IG()10:00AM, Team_(sparql)13:55Z, WF_TF()8:00AM, W3C_(SBM TF)10:00AM, INC_Prov XG(Mappings)11:00AM, WAI_PFWG(HTML
15:03:43 <Zakim> ... TF)11:00AM, SW_RDFa()10:00AM, VB_VBWG(CCXML)11:00AM active
15:03:45 <Zakim> also scheduled at this time are SW_HCLS(TransMed)11:00AM, WAI_Team()9:30AM, Team_Comm()10:30AM, SW_HCLS()11:00AM, XML_PMWG()11:00AM, GA_SVGWG()10:30AM
15:04:25 <mhausenblas> that's what I thought, yes - also http://www.w3.org/Guide/1998/08/teleconference-calendar#D20100527
15:04:36 <cygri> zakim, this will be egov
15:05:02 <Zakim> ok, cygri, I see T&S_EGOV(LD TECH)10:00AM already started
15:05:13 <cygri> zakim, who is on the phone?
15:05:14 <Zakim> - +1.323.841.aaaa
15:05:22 <Zakim> On the phone I see kate_geyer, cygri, +1.202.742.aabb
15:05:31 <cygri> thanks mhausenblas!
15:05:35 <cygri> zakim, fadi is with me
15:05:42 <LuigiMontanez> zakim, aabb is LuigiMontanez
15:06:04 <Zakim> + +1.323.841.aacc
15:06:08 <Zakim> +fadi; got it
15:06:20 <Zakim> +LuigiMontanez; got it
15:06:25 <Zakim> +??P43
15:06:29 <Zakim> +[CTIC]
15:06:36 <cygri> zakim, ??P43 is vassilios
15:06:38 <martin> Zakim, [CTIC is martin
15:06:48 <vassilios> vassilios has joined #egov
15:06:50 <Zakim> +vassilios; got it
15:06:52 <Zakim> +martin; got it
15:06:52 <cygri> zakim, who is making noise?
15:06:58 <kate_geyer> Scribe: kate_geyer
15:07:10 <Zakim> cygri, listening for 10 seconds I heard sound from the following: vassilios (15%)
15:07:44 <fadi> fadi has joined #egov
15:07:50 <cygri> zakim, who is on the phone
15:07:50 <Zakim> I don't understand 'who is on the phone', cygri
15:07:57 <cygri> zakim, who is on the phone?
15:07:57 <Zakim> On the phone I see kate_geyer, cygri, LuigiMontanez, +1.323.841.aacc (muted), vassilios, martin
15:07:59 <Zakim> cygri has cygri, fadi
15:08:51 <cygri> zakim, aacc is michael
15:08:51 <Zakim> +michael; got it
15:09:37 <cygri> Agenda: http://www.w3.org/egov/wiki/Data_Catalog_Vocabulary/2010-05-27
15:11:36 <kate_geyer> cygri: We're looking for a scribe for next week
15:12:00 <kate_geyer> ... or we can meet every two weeks
15:12:04 <vassilios> +1
15:12:06 <LuigiMontanez> +1
15:12:09 <martin> +1
15:13:02 <kate_geyer> cygri: based on the votes, the default should be every two weeks
15:13:16 <vassilios> i a mnot sure i will be either
15:14:06 <kate_geyer> cygri: Scribe for 10 June will be fadi
15:15:09 <kate_geyer> cygri: Dcat being used on data.gov.uk
15:15:42 <kate_geyer> ... vocabulary in flux, we should wait to give them detailed feedback
15:16:00 <kate_geyer> ... Any interesting developments
15:16:16 <kate_geyer> cygri: Moving to use cases and requirements
15:17:09 <kate_geyer> ... No negative feedback, several emails indicate it's fine
15:17:52 <kate_geyer> .. In terms of content the use cases are the same, but sandro and cygri moved them around as indicated last meeting
15:18:11 <vassilios> Perhpas, we could still keep it open for a while
15:18:33 <vassilios> just avoiding my mic
15:18:41 <vassilios> perhpas people could contribute
15:18:44 <vassilios> still in the page
15:18:52 <vassilios> for a week or so
15:19:09 <vassilios> lets say by next meeting (?)
15:19:49 <kate_geyer> cygri: Is it time to stop editing the document and focus on next deliverable
15:20:34 <vassilios> +1
15:20:36 <fadi> +1
15:20:36 <LuigiMontanez> +1 agree
15:20:37 <kate_geyer> Should we declare as a group that we are satisfied
15:20:42 <martin> +1
15:21:37 <kate_geyer> cygri: Make this a W3C Interest Group note
15:21:56 <kate_geyer> ... perhaps we should wait for sando's input
15:22:01 <vassilios> we need W3C feedback
15:22:24 <cygri> http://www.w3.org/egov/wiki/Data_Catalog_Vocabulary/Vocabulary_Reference
15:22:33 <kate_geyer> cygri: Now we can move to the Vocab Reference topic
15:22:39 <cygri> http://www.w3.org/egov/IG/track/products/19
15:23:10 <kate_geyer> cygri: I've started to populate the issue tracker
15:23:41 <kate_geyer> ... the Issue tracker is for the entire Egov interest group
15:24:03 <kate_geyer> ... sandro has created a product called dcat
15:24:26 <kate_geyer> ... The link goes to issues related to the dcat product
15:24:53 <cygri> ISSUE-40
15:25:00 <kate_geyer> ... the Issue tracker is tied in with the IRC and mailing list
15:25:56 <kate_geyer> ... Sandro will explain that, but we can add through the web interface
15:26:40 <kate_geyer> cygri: I would like to go through the document, see what's there, and discuss
15:26:55 <kate_geyer> ... and then go through the open issues
15:27:21 <kate_geyer> cygri: Lokking at the Vocabulary reference now
15:28:14 <kate_geyer> s/Lokking/looking
15:29:23 <Mike> Mike has joined #egov
15:29:31 <kate_geyer> cygri: Introduction, then overview will have diagram
15:30:31 <kate_geyer> ... a separate section explaining literals and resources
15:31:24 <kate_geyer> ... Last section is on extending the vocabulary and best practices
15:32:44 <kate_geyer> ... Within each class, the doc explains the properties and includes a usage note
15:33:25 <kate_geyer> cygri: Any thoughts/feedback?
15:34:17 <kate_geyer> cygri: Should this outline/general structure remain?
15:34:30 <kate_geyer> ... Would everyone be happy with that?
15:34:31 <LuigiMontanez> I need a bit more time to digest, but have no objections as I review it now
15:34:53 <Mike> Looks interesting--great work
15:35:03 <martin> +1 ( I like the document )
15:35:04 <kate_geyer> +1
15:35:52 <cygri> http://www.w3.org/egov/IG/track/products/19
15:36:01 <kate_geyer>  cygri: No objections to the structure. I would like to look at the open issues
15:36:50 <cygri> http://www.w3.org/egov/IG/track/issues/37
15:36:55 <kate_geyer> cygri: First issue is ACTION-37
15:38:45 <kate_geyer> ... regarding the use of a string vs. a URI
15:39:23 <kate_geyer> ... for dct:publisher, dct:accrualPeriodicity, ...
15:40:32 <kate_geyer> fadi: some references are inconsistent 
15:41:04 <kate_geyer> cygri: we can encourage the use of a resource
15:43:03 <kate_geyer> cygri: the problem is the requirement to make it easy to apply to existing catalogs
15:43:28 <kate_geyer> ... we will not get better data than already exists in the catalog
15:44:11 <kate_geyer> cygri: I will ask Ed if he has any recommendation on this
15:44:23 <cygri> http://www.w3.org/egov/IG/track/issues/38
15:44:30 <kate_geyer> cygri: Moving to Issue 38
15:46:41 <kate_geyer> cygri: This is regarding a single dataset with multiple downloads
15:48:13 <kate_geyer> ... The URI of the Distribution would be the download itself
15:49:05 <kate_geyer> fadi: In most of the catalogs, the dataset might not have a download file
15:49:23 <kate_geyer> ... The data can be reached by following a URL
15:50:29 <kate_geyer> cygri: fadi, can you respond to this on the email list
15:50:44 <cygri> http://www.w3.org/egov/IG/track/issues/39
15:52:35 <kate_geyer> fadi: Many catalogs have an RSS link, web service, etc. where access can be automated
15:53:55 <kate_geyer> fadi: The decision was that subclasses were appropriate
15:54:25 <kate_geyer> cygri: The issue is that information would be lost
15:54:33 <cygri> http://www.w3.org/egov/IG/track/issues/40
15:55:39 <kate_geyer> fadi: Only data.go.uk makes this distinction
15:56:38 <kate_geyer> cygri: The problem is that if these catalogs have a generic granularity field, it can be hard to distinguish
15:57:41 <kate_geyer> cygri: The proposal is to add these to dcat
15:57:57 <kate_geyer> ... in addition to dcat:granularity
15:59:20 <kate_geyer> cygri: There will always be this question of adding to dcat or not
15:59:50 <kate_geyer> cygri: The last issue will be skipped in the interest of time
16:01:49 <kate_geyer> cygri: Many things to do on this document and pieces to take responsibility for
16:02:05 <kate_geyer> Anything else?
16:02:30 <vassilios> thanks
16:02:34 <martin> Thank you. Bye
16:02:34 <kate_geyer> Thanks!
# SPECIAL MARKER FOR CHATSYNC.  DO NOT EDIT THIS LINE OR BELOW.  SRCLINESUSED=00000164