From Digital Publishing Interest Group
- TPAC 2013, 11-15 November, Shenzhen, China
Registration for TPAC 2013
NOTE: Many people are required to have a visa for entry into China. Please see the registration form for information about securing an invitation letter from Beihang University for a Chinese visa to attend TPAC 2013.
Wuzhou Guest House
No. 6001, Shennan Road
Shenzhen, China 518034
Telephone: +86 755 82938000
TPAC week at a Glance
DPUB IG Agenda
- The DPUB IG will meet F2F on Monday 11 Nov. and Tuesday 12 Nov.
Coffeee breaks at 10:30 and 15:00
Monday 11 Nov
- 9:00 - 9:30 Introductions
- 9:30 - 12:30 Pagination (Dave)
Topics for discussion: - Scope of document: which languages, nations, typesetting traditions? - Do we try to bring in concepts from magazines and newspapers? - How best to express relationship with existing or future CSS? - Further ideas on what material to cover, with goal of a more complete outline of the document. - General discussion of level of detail, types of examples, sample code, document structure... - How will the group work on the document? Filter changes through me? More people editing via GitHub?
- 12:20-12:30 Heads-up on Web Payments -- Manu Sporny
- 12:30-13:30 Lunch
- 13:30-14:30 Meeting with CSS WG
- 14:30-17:00 Fonts/Typography (Vlad)
Suggested font topics to discuss: - mandatory support for embedded fonts and font obfuscation (requested by publishers because of the licensing concerns); - support for advanced typography / text layout / font feature settings (as part of the CSS3 Fonts)
Tuesday 12 Nov
- 9:00-11:00 Behavioral adaption, (Tzviya by phone) Robin Berjon from HTML WG joins at 10:00
- Establishing a vocabulary for refining mark up of digital publications (e.g. part, chapter, index, footnote, page)
- Inflecting markup to reflect publishing semantics and allow for increased navigation and discoverability
- Use cases: Journal includes Book Review. How best tag Title, Author, etc of Book to show relationship to Journal as well as provide information about Book? (RDF, schema.org)
- Related topic: identifiers and fragment identifiers
- Inflecting markup to trigger specific behavior
- Use cases: 1. Activation of linked note reference in conjunction with content tagged as type="footnote" triggers footnote content to pop up. 2. Type="printOnly" hides content in digital environment (and TTS)
- 11:00-12:30 Security (Sharad)
- 12:30-13:30 Lunch
- 13:30-14:30 Accessibility (Suzanne (by phone), Gerardo)
- How can we broaden the group to get a large range of perspectives (e.g., people with disabilities, educators of students with disabilities, organizations that provide, adapt or create accessible instructional materials and developers of assistive technologies)?
- How can we more efficiently and effectively leverage SVG for multi-modal delivery and alternative descriptions?
- How can we facilitate complex image descriptions and image alternatives that account for different physical and cognitive disabilities? (http://diagramcenter.org/standards-and-practices/content-model.html)
- How can we support for 3rd party/post-production adaptation/remediation of image descriptions and alternatives?
- How can we better provide MathML fallbacks to support EPUB 2 reading systems or EPUB 3 reading systems that don't provide MathML rendering and accessibility?
- How can improve MathML semantics for multi-modal delivery (e.g. TTS or Nemeth Braille)?
- How can we also provide 3rd party/post-production remediation of MathML markup and descriptions?
- How can we better support Braille delivery?
- How can we improve TTS delivery?
- How can better support the needs of dyslexic users who don't tend to use assistive technologies for BVI, but require multi-modal delivery?
- How can we improve reading system support for HTML5 APIs, such as Web Audio and Web Speech?
- How can we better discover accessible resources (Accessibility metadata) using search technologies?
- How can reading systems better indicate to users whether they support the accessibility features required by a given publication?
- 14:30-15:30 Testing (Tobie Langel)
- 15:30-17:00 Packaging and Distribution
- Backwards compatibility with EPUB 2 reading systems (Gerardo suggestion)
- 17:00-17:30 Summary & Next steps
Present in Shenzhen
- @@ If you also plan to attend but are not yet registered, add your name here @@
- George Walkley (subject to confirming visa)
- Dave Cramer, Hachette
- Markus Gylling, IDPF
We will provide the logistics to allow people to dial-in into the F2F.
Zakim Bridge +1.617.761.6200, conference 3782 ("DPUB")
List of people wanting to dial-in into the DPUB F2F
- @@ add your name here @@
- Frederick Hirsch (time zones permitting)
- Tom De Nies
- Hajar Ghaem Sigarchian
- Miel Vander Sande
- Tzviya Siegman
- Ben Ko
- Jean Kaplansky