Skip to toolbar

Community & Business Groups

How exactly declaring page doctype as HTML5 reduces the error in W3C markup validation

I have a website which has got around 1000 pages. I declared all html doctype to use XHTML 1.0 strict

I checked the website pages using W3C markup validation tool,  I got 320 errors, Then I changed the doctype to HTML 4.0 the errors reduced to 300.

Then I used the HTML5 doctype, Then errors got reduced to 75. So How these errors got reduced by just changing the doctype.

My Question is:

1) Validating my pages against XHTML1.0  standards gives me more than 300 errors, Which is quite huge and bit difficult to resolve them.

2) Validating my pages against HTML5 standards gives me around 70 errors, Which is not a issue and can resolve them easily.

So In this case which HTML version i have to use so that It does not affects SEO of the pages, Because w3c validation also affects the SEO

If i just use HTML5 doctype but not exactly the page structure (nav, header, section, footer, article ….), Will this really matters Because I have got around 1000 pages which is very difficult make them to follow the HTML5 page structure.

What i am thinking is to reduce the errors in w3c, I will just change the doctype to HTML5 and resolve the w3c errors. Is this a good idea. Or If any please suggest me.

3 Responses to How exactly declaring page doctype as HTML5 reduces the error in W3C markup validation

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Before you comment here, note that this forum is moderated and your IP address is sent to Akismet, the plugin we use to mitigate spam comments.