Archives for: August 2007

Thursday, August 30th 2007

Permalink 00:08:19, Categories: Meeting Summaries

Meeting summary - 27 August 2007

[Meeting summary - 27 Aug 2007] Scribing. Acknowledging contributions. API draft. Other publications. UWA/DD call. Wiki migration. [Scribing] For most participants, this is the end of the vacation season so work is getting back on track. Meeting attendance will increase and we will need more people to keep minutes. This is an important task as the meeting records enable the group to produce summaries for public consumption (including this summary). We also expect to see more comments from meetings appearing on the public lists. A new scribe rota will be in place for next week's call. [Acknowledgements] For the DDR API document, a specification that is on the W3C's Recommendation track, it is proposed that notable contributions to the work will be acknowledged in the published document, in addition to the customary summary of participants. We hope that the list of notable contributions will be big, as more group members actively participate. [API draft] The API document has been evolving in recent weeks in preparation for its first formal publication at the end of September. The chair noted that the TOC was now quite extensive, though perhaps an extra section on the deployment scenario would be useful (to explain the role and use of the context key). All of the group participants are being encouraged to contribute to the document. Comments will appear on the public list. [Other publications] The legacy documents (Landscape and Ecosystem) are being processed for publication. The few remained incomplete subsections, which have not attracted any comments, shall be removed as being unnecessary. What remains will form the final version of these documents. [UWA/DD] It is hoped that a joint call between DDWG and UWA can be arranged for some time in September to discuss common matters relating to the ontology. [Wiki] In an attempt to improve the presentation of the DDWG wiki, an experiment is underway to migrate the current pages to an alternative platform, while retaining the original URLs (as far as is technically possible). If successful, this might also be adopted by other groups. Attendees: Rotan Hanrahan (MobileAware) Mike Smith (W3C) Matt Womer (W3C) Rodrigo Garcia (CTIC) Anders Ekstrand (Drutt) Pontus Carlsson (Drutt) Rafael Casero Escamilla (SATEC)
Rotan Hanrahan

Monday, August 13th 2007

Permalink 17:26:56, Categories: Meeting Summaries

Meeting Summary - 6 August 2007

[Meeting Summary - 6 August 2007] API spec activity. CC/PP to be referenced. Publications on track. Joint meeting with UWA proposed. [API] Despite August being vacation month for many participants, the DD group will have one or two people actively working on the API document. The editors' drafts will continue to be visible to the public during the editing phase. A first version has already been released. The document will include informative references to related technologies/activities such as CC/PP and the OMA DPE. (Public contribution to the work of the editors is always welcome.) The context key was mentioned again, in light of recent discussions. The opaqueness of the key was reaffirmed, even to the point of not suggesting an underlying data type. This will be discussed in the API document. [Publications] Some technical work is ongoing to extract the material from the wiki in order to generate the final versions of the legacy documents to be published soon. As a byproduct of this work, the means of porting the wiki contents to a new wiki platform are at an advanced stage. Work on this task will resume in two weeks. [DD/UWA] It was suggested at a recent UWA meeting that a joint call with the DDWG would be useful. This will be investigated at the end of August with a view to an early September call. Furthermore, as there is no scheduling overlap for meetings in November, the possibility of a face-to-face meeting with UWA will also be investigated. The next two regular group meetings have been postponed. The regular weekly slot has been made available to the editors of the API during this time. Attendees: José Manuel Cantera Fonseca [Telefonica] Pontus Carlsson [Drutt] Rotan Hanrahan [MobileAware] Martin Jones [Volantis] Matt Womer [W3C] Bryan Sullivan [AT&T] Andrea Trasatti [dotMobi]
Matt Womer

Saturday, August 4th 2007

Permalink 09:39:04, Categories: Meeting Summaries

Meeting Summary - 30 July 2007

[Meeting Summary - 30 July 2007] F2F Review. Confirmed publications. Outstanding issues re normative names. Renaming Requirements. Target languages. Opaque context key. Problem with ANY. XPath/JSON? [Review] This was the first conference call of the DDWG since the London face-to-face meeting. The group considered the summary that was intended for publication this week. It was time to review the decisions made, and issues uncovered, during that meeting. [Publications] Four new publications were noted. The first two will be the final publications of Landscape and Ecosystem. It is expected that this will occur sometime in September after the formatting and proofreading is complete. The first draft of the API specification will occur around the end of September. A new WG Note has been agreed, to cover the result of the research into the use of IDL. [Names] It has been agreed that the normative names for properties will be located within the UWA's ontology. However, there still remains the issue of named concepts in the DDWG vocabulary that might not be identified with a single property in the ontology. For example, the vocabulary might contain the concept of "supported animation" as a named item. This would identify the list of animated image formats supported by a device (GIF 89a, MP4, etc.). However, this is an aggregate derived from an analysis of the complete list of supported image formats. The vocabulary item does not therefore have a one-to-one mapping to the ontology, although it references the ontology "under the hood". The ontology is intended to be a normative specification, while the DDWG Core Vocabulary is being presented via WG Note. It is unclear what status would be given to names that are defined in the vocabulary but not in the ontology. [Rename] Given the change in focus of the Requirements document, it has been proposed that the group consider a new title that reflects the emphasis in this document: High-level Requirements for DDR implementations. In the meantime, the group will continue to use the generic "Requirements" title. [Targets] The group has agreed that the IDL will be designed with several target languages in mind, although in theory any programming language should be supported. The target languages are: WSDL (normative), Java (possibly normative), [Key] The context key is an opaque object that identifies sufficient information from the delivery context to enable a DDR instance to retrieve information about that context. A particular context key is likely to be a structured object, but the details of that structure are only known to a Discovery process and a corresponding DDR implementation. Context Keys should be unique, so that different delivery contexts will imply different Context Keys. The comparison of Context Keys is an operation that can only be performed by Discovery and/or DDR instances. It is necessary to represent the Context Key in the API. This will permit the key to pass from the Discovery process to the Repository as part of the request, in situations where these two are visible separately. [ANY] The group considered how a Context Key should be described. A generic object type should suffice, although it would be given a specific name. In IDL, the use of "ANY" is suggested. However, the group noted that there could be problems mapping ANY in a WSDL binding and therefore agreed to do some more investigation. [XPath/JSON] On the matter of representing a collection of devices (contexts) based on property values, the group acknowledged that both JSON and XPath are promising. The normative use of XPath in DISelect was noted, though it was also noted that no new expression language was proposed therein, and therefore the expressions would still be written in the established XPath format. JSON is another expression language that may find favour with developers, given its JavaScript roots. It was noted that the group should avoid creating a new expression language. Further investigation into the use of the XPath and JSON languages was recommended. Attendees: Cosmin Basca (DERI) José Manuel Cantera Fonseca (Telefónica) Rotan Hanrahan (MobileAware) Martin Jones (Volantis) Rhys Lewis (Volantis) Kevin Smith (Vodafone) Mike Smith (W3C) Andrea Trasatti (dotMobi) Matt Womer (W3C)
Rotan Hanrahan

Wednesday, August 1st 2007

Permalink 11:56:00, Categories: News, Meeting Summaries

DDWG API for September

The DDWG recently posted a summary of its July Face-to-Face meeting in London. Among the highlights is a decision by the group to publish a first draft of the API by the end of September. It will require a lot of input to make this happen, so hopefully the Web community will come on board to help. There were several other developments during the meeting. Check out the summary for details. ---Rotan.
Rotan Hanrahan