Archives for: March 2007

Monday, March 26th 2007

Permalink 12:00:00, Categories: Meeting Summaries

Meeting Summary - 26 March 2007

[Weekly conference call, 26 Mar 2007.] “Device Description” described! Initial ontology almost ready for publication. Reviewing OMA documents. Need public input to vocabulary. Details follow: [DD Defined] A text to describe what is meant by “Device Description” has been formally agreed by the group and will become part of the DD group terminology. The definition will require an update to the DI Glossary. The key part of the definition is this: "A device description is a formal definition within some context of the named attributes and their permissible values [which may take the form of lists, ranges, or other patterns] which are applicable to entities of interest in that context," and goes on to mention the role of 'device' and the scope of the DDWG with respect to this definition. The full text will be made public on the wiki. [Ontology Documents] A set of Protégé files capturing an initial ontology have been created by Rhys, together with a sample XHTML document to summarise the information in a human-readable form. Rotan will be looking into providing an automated visual representation, and the set of documents are expected to be made public soon. This is not the Vocabulary, but a framework in which the DDR Vocabulary can be defined. [OMA Liaison] In response to the recent OMA liaison, a formal acknowledgement will be posted on the public mailing list. Furthermore, two members of the group (Jo and Andrea) will be reviewing the OMA documents as requested in the liaison statement. [Vocabulary] It was noted during the meeting that the group could use some more public input, so expect members to mention the DDWG process in blogs and other public channels over the coming weeks. [New Actions] (ACTION-21) Rotan to Liaise with DI and successors ref this definition (of DD). (ACTION-22) Rotan to "Dot-ify" section 3 from the ontology document to make graphical version. (ACTION-23) Jo to work with Andrea to prepare a draft response to OMA Liaison - and review architecture document. [Attendees] Rodrigo Garcia Acevedo (CTIC) Pontus Carlsson (Drutt) Rotan Hanrahan (MobileAware) Martin Jones (Volantis) Cedric Kiss (W3C) Rhys Lewis (Volantis) Jo Rabin (dotMobi) Kevin Smith (Vodafone) Mike Smith (W3C) Andrea Trasatti (M:Metrics/WURFL)
Rotan Hanrahan

Monday, March 12th 2007

Permalink 12:00:00, Categories: Meeting Summaries

Meeting Summary - 12 Mar 2007

[Weekly conference call, 12 Mar 2007.] Defining Device Descriptions. Editor for the formal ontology. OMA Liaison. Requirements on wiki. Details follow: [DD Definition] There was considerable debate in this week's call regarding the role of "ontology" in the definition of a "Device Description". For some, an ontology may be inferred, or could be created, in support of the concept of Device Description, but this does not mean that a formal ontology document has to exist. For others, the use of "ontology" in defining the concept of Device Description implies that an instance of a formal ontology exists. It is also recognised that in the context of the W3C, mention of "ontology" generally implies RDF. Eventually the attendees reached an agreed position where the glossary definition of "Device Description" would use the phrase "formal definition". It is hoped that this term will embrace those who would work with Device Descriptions from an RDF perspective, and others who may be less inclined towards RDF but nevertheless have good reason to work with machine readable information. A full text will be put to the group during the week, and if approved will be forwarded for consideration in the DI Glossary. [Ontology Editor] Having reached a (likely) agreement on the meaning of Device Description, the group agreed a process to deal with the practical issue of creating a formal definition (an RDF/OWL representation of the ontology in support of the Core Vocabulary). The group has already agreed to use Protégé as a tool to assist in the creation of RDF/OWL (because working visually is usually easier than working with raw XML). Unfortunately, Protégé does not support "team editing". Nevertheless, the tool is easy enough to use that a single person could merge team contributions on their behalf. Therefore, the group has agreed to use Protégé individually to investigate the ontology evolution, but to contribute to a central version via text in emails on the list, which will be managed by a volunteer. (Rhys is first to step forward.) For more complex contributions, the group might consider an XML-diff approach, though this could be challenging for RDF due to multiple possible serialisations. [OMA Liaison] The OMA has sent a liaison statement to the group. Some related documents are also expected soon. When all documents have been received, they will be discussed by the group. [Requirements] The wiki now contains a version of the DDR Requirements, which will be reviewed and evolved towards a stable final version. [New Actions] (ACTION-14) Jo to summarize the proposal for compromise definition of device description. [New Resolutions] To record contributions to ontology via text in mailing list [Attendees] Pontus Carlsson (Drutt) Rafael Casero (SATEC) Anders Ekstrand (Drutt) Jose Manuel Cantera Fonseca (Telefónica) Rodrigo Garcia (CTIC) Rotan Hanrahan (MobileAware) Cedric Kiss (W3C) Rhys Lewis (Volantis) Nacho Marin (CTIC) Jo Rabin (dotMobi) Kevin Smith (Vodafone) Andrea Trasatti (M:Metrics/WURFL)
Cédric Kiss

Monday, March 5th 2007

Permalink 12:00:00, Categories: Meeting Summaries

Meeting Summary - 5 Mar 2007

This brief summary was posted to the public list shortly after the weekly meeting. ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Definition of "Device Description" ---------------------------------------------------------------------- - We have agreement that we can't start building an ontology until we have a common understanding of "device description" - We seem to have agreement about the need to make the definition of "device description" more generic than just being limited to the delivery of a web page, but instead to any aspect, but with the DDWG as a group focusing on the specific aspect that has to do with adaptation. RESOLVED: Do one more iteration on a proposal what is meant by "device" and "device description" and send out for public discussion by end of this week. ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Starting the ontology work ---------------------------------------------------------------------- We're using the Protege application and need to understand how to break up Protege projects for group work. ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Reports from editors. ---------------------------------------------------------------------- - Ecosystem: we had a contribution related to this on the internal mail list and are continuing to discuss it - We made some updates to the wiki (uploaded "Top-ten properties" on wiki) - responded to OMA - API and structure have not started yet ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Attendees ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Pontus Carlsson (Drutt) [scribe] Martin Jones (Volantis) Andrea Trasatti (M:Metrics/WURFL) Cedric Kiss (W3C) Kevin Smith (Vodafone) Rafael Casero (SATEC) Rotan Hanrahan (MobileAware) Jo Rabin (dotMobi) Rodrigo Garcia (CTIC) Nacho Marin (CTIC) Michael(tm) Smith (W3C) [late]
Rotan Hanrahan