Minutes TPAC 2012 Part IV: Paged Media, Fragmentation, Regions
- Current variable-size margin box calculation rules are quadratic; Simon Sapin has a better proposal, which will be incorporated into the spec.
- Discussed concept of “initial containing block”, which is used for various things, and needs to be clarified wrt fragmented layouts.http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2012Nov/0246.html
- Resolved: Add
@page selector to CSS3 Paged Media.
- Discussed fragmenting into too-small and zero-height fragmentation containers. No conclusions. Need a concrete proposal
- Resolved: Relpos happens after fragmentation
- Filed issue on clarifying how positioning coordinates cross pages.
Tab proposed focusing on the overflow method of region auto-generation, instead of working on making random elements become regions containing randomly-spliced flows. Arguments in favor were that it solves the junk-elements-in-document problem, and that the enforced one-to-siblings relationship of the overflow-regions model avoids crash-prone complexity in the layout engine. Alan countered that it can’t handle all the use cases. There was some dispute about to what extent this was true. Rossen also requested that programmability of region containers not be ignored as a requirement.
- Resolved: Close Bug 15186 in Regions, concerning handling arbitrary amounts of content in a region chain.
- Resolved: Bug 15824 – keep the current spec text, where regions all create stacking contexts for the stuff flowed into them.
- Discussed issue of elements becoming regions; agreed to leave it open.
- Resolved: Need to split the concept of “initial containing block” into two parts, as necessary for the different things the ICB is currently used for.
« Previous article
Next article »