Minutes San Diego F2F August 2012: Images 4, FPWD Criteria, Grid Layout
CSS Image Values and Replaced Content Level 4
image-set(). Various issues were raised, including:
- Whether to have
x as a synonym for
dppx: multiple opinions expressed.
- Whether the UA just picks one and fails after trying, or whether it should fall back to something else in the list if the image fails to load: CSSWG prefers fallback within image-set() to work.
- Whether it should be allowed to nest: general agreement to disallow nesting.
Raised/reraised and discussed various issues wrt
- Allow full selectors, or just IDs?
- Is pointing to SVG paint servers a use case, or is it already handled by url() references?
- Can it point to a single page of a paged view?
- How can it handle reflections?
- How can it reference DOM elements not inserted in the document?
- Naming conflict with GCPM element()?
- Is it drawn as a real or pseudo-stacking context?
Resolved: Publish FPWD of Images Level 4
CSS Grid Layout
- Discussed named lines. General agreement that what’s in the spec is not good, but no proposal for what’s good.
- Fundamental conflict in Grid Layout module is between application designers’ “grid” (what’s in the spec) and typographic designers’ “grid” (what some other people want). Peter to propose a Unified Model for grid.
- Discussed various markup models, and how the current spec requires flattening all markup in order to put things into the grid; how to change Grid Layout to work with common HTML markup patterns.
- Discussed default handling of grid element’s children, whether to turn them into grid items (like in Flexbox) or have them form a single flow, and pull positioned items out into the grid.
- Discussed subgrid proposal, which has grid items inside a grid item align to and participate in the sizing of the outer grid, but be positioned within the grid item.
- Discussed naming of grid properties that define tracks, to make them less confusable with grid properties that position things into tracks.
- Phil summarized the status of Grid Layout module
Full minutes: Images Level 4, FPWD Criteria, Grid Layout
« Previous article
Next article »