CSS WG Blog
Minutes and Resolutions Kyoto F2F Thurs: V…
Minutes and Resolutions Kyoto F2F Thurs: Vertical Text, Bidi, Line Grid, Unencoded Characters
Kyoto Forum Issues
- Reviewed feedback from Kyoto Forum on CSS (Minutes). Line stacking was a major issue.
- Discussed how to represent unencoded characters; concluded that this is a content/semantics issue, and probably needs markup to be solved.
- Discussed line stacking and the line grid. A new proposal was drawn up to address the issues and use cases, including for complex layouts (floats, positioning, multicol).
- Resolved: Merge line grid proposal into CSS3 Line Layout Module. (No separate line grid spec.)
- Long discussion of
text-orientation cases. Concluded that all the values are indeed justified by actual use cases. Suggested to rename
- Resolved: Rename the SVG-compatibility value for text-orientation from
auto to something more specific, and mark the value at-risk.
- Reviewed how baselines work in vertical text.
- Resolved: Remove OpenType baselines section from the Writing Modes spec.
- Redesigned existing
text-combine property to work better with markup, and to add some controls for whether/how to scale to fit.
- Reviewed interaction of
text-orientation and punctuation. Inconclusive, other than “this is hard”.
- Rearranged some of the new values of
unicode-bidi to create a simpler and more consistent model for
- Resolved: The sides of a box that are drawn when it is broken across lines is determined by the
direction of the parent, not the inline itself. Fix this in CSS2.1 and CSS3 Writing Modes.
« Previous article
Next article »